Casino Royale (Penguin Modern Classics) by…

Casino Royale (Penguin Modern Classics) (original 1953; edition 2004)

by Ian Fleming

4,2122011,183 (3.54)286
Member:dangennoe
Title:Casino Royale (Penguin Modern Classics)
Authors:Ian Fleming
Info:Penguin Classics (2004), Edition: New Ed, Paperback, 192 pages

Casino Royale by Ian Fleming (1953)

The Kobra Manifesto by Adam Hall (benfulton)
    benfulton: Very similar spy stories. Quiller is a bit more physical than Bond, I think.
    The Spy Who Came in From the Cold by John Le Carré (Cecilturtle)

English (198)  Danish (1)  Hebrew (1)  Catalan (1)  All (201)
The first and possibly best Bond Novel. ( )
  David.Manns | Nov 28, 2016 |
If you've seen the movie then you know most of the plot and the twists. This is James Bonds first story, but not exactly an origin story. The mind of 007 is much more male than his exterior would give away. Feminists will probably hate his character and young men will still probably try to be him. I'm giving Fleming the benefit of the doubt because of the time period when this was written, but I wish our female lead wasn't so weak. Audio-Hoopla ( )
  aurorapaigem | Nov 23, 2016 |
Actually, this is the 2nd time I've read this book - first time was nearly 30 years ago, and I'd read a French translation... Interestingly (in a way) the only part of the book I remembered was when Bond is tortured. I recall, the first time I saw the movie adaptation, I wondered if they were going to have that scene in it, and figured they wouldn't...and watching it, I was pretty sure that the scene in the book was only very slightly different (and I was right about that, looks like.)

I suppose the fact that I remembered nothing except the torture scene is because most of the rest is really pretty unremarkable... It's not a fabulous book, by any stretch of the imagination - I remember preferring other Bond novels to this one by far - but it's not bad though, especially as a sort of "period piece", a sort of snapshot into spy novels of the 1950s, which as such makes it an interesting read.

I'm curious to see how much of the other novels I still remember from when I read them as a teenager. I expect not a whole lot more than I did this one... ;) ( )
  cybercarotte | Nov 23, 2016 |
The first book in the James Bond series is not that much dissimilar to the movie in the overall story. The book is just a bit more than just a spy book. Ian explores different themes revolving around a fun spy story. There is much more introspection and delving on right vs wrong/good vs evil than I expected. And while it was not surprising that Ian's Bond is still a chauvinist and a misogynist that the original movies portrayed, there is a romantic quality to him. Just like the movie, this book showcases how Bond became Bond. It is a good book as long as you go in it remembering the time period and that at times you may not like James Bond for his outdated ideals. ( )
  renbedell | Sep 27, 2016 |
This might be the only time I'll ever say this: the movie improved upon the book. Mightily. ( )
  bookofmoons | Sep 1, 2016 |

Ian Flemingprimary authorall editionscalculated
Deaver, JefferyIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fahey, RichieCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The scent and smoke and sweat of a casino are nauseating at three in the morning.
The Devil has no prophets to write his Ten Commandments and no teams of authors to write his biography. His case has gone completely by default. We know nothing about him but a lot of fairy stories from our parents and schoolmasters. He has no book from which we can learn the nature of evil in all its forms, with parables about evil people, proverbs about evil people, folk-lore about evil people. All we have is the living example of the people who are least good, or our own intuition.
"surround yourself with human beings, my dear James. They are easier to fight for than principles. But don't let me down and become human yourself. We would lose such a wonderful machine."
“Your own injuries are serious, but your life is not in danger... If all goes well, you will recover completely and none of the functions of your body will be impaired... But I fear that you will continue to be in pain for several days...”
James Bond

closed his eyes and waited for the pain. He knew that the beginning of torture was the worst.

Le Chiffre
The formidable, dangerous French Communist with large sexual appetites. Paymaster of SMERSH and a master sadist.

Vesper Lynd
the conquest of her body would each time have the sweet tang of rape.

A superlative thriller. Replete with elegant, enigmatic women, superb food and service, explosions, torture and sudden death. - Boston Sunday Post

The best gambling scene one can recall and the most revolting torture scenes. - The Birmingham Post

Hums with tension - Time Magazine
For James Bond and the British Secret Service, the stakes couldn't be higher. 007's mission is to neutralize the Russian operative Le Chiffre by ruining him at the baccarat table, forcing his Soviet masters to "retire" him. When Le Chiffre hits a losing streak, Bond discovers his luck is in - that is, until he meets Vesper Lynd, a glamorous agent who might yet prove to be his downfall. This audiobook includes an exclusive bonus interview with Dan Stevens.
Double Oh Seven
gambles with a union boss
who's a SMERSH agent.
(yoyogod)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 014200202X, Paperback)

In the first of Ian Fleming's James Bond novels, 007 declares war on Le Chiffre, French communist and paymaster of the Soviet murder organization SMERSH.

The battle begins with a fifty-million-franc game of baccarat, gains momentum during Bond's fiery love affair with a sensuous lady spy, and reaches a chilling climax with fiendish torture at the hands of a master sadist. For incredible suspense, unexpected thrills, and extraordinary danger, nothing can beat James Bond in his inaugural adventure.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:50 -0400)

In the first James Bond novel, originally published in 1953, 007 takes on Le Chiffre, a French communist and paymaster of the Soviet murder organization SMERSH, as the suave agent becomes involved in a high-stakes game of baccarat, enjoys a fiery love affair with a sexy female spy, and endures torture at the hands of a master sadist.… (more)

Legacy Library: Ian Fleming

Ian Fleming has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Ian Fleming's legacy profile.

See Ian Fleming's author page.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,828,683 books! | Top bar: Always visible