Casino Royale (James Bond) by Ian Fleming

Casino Royale (James Bond) (original 1953; edition 2012)

by Ian Fleming

4,3252031,143 (3.54)290
Member:wigster102
Title:Casino Royale (James Bond)
Authors:Ian Fleming
Info:Thomas & Mercer (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 188 pages
Collections:Ebooks
Rating:***1/2
Tags:spy, fiction, adventure

Casino Royale by Ian Fleming (1953)

The Kobra Manifesto by Adam Hall (benfulton)
    benfulton: Very similar spy stories. Quiller is a bit more physical than Bond, I think.
    The Spy Who Came in From the Cold by John Le Carré (Cecilturtle)

English (200)  Danish (1)  Hebrew (1)  Catalan (1)  All (203)
actually a unique story. was surprised by the twist ( )
  longhorndaniel | Jul 19, 2017 |
(6/10) I wasn't sure what to make of this if I'm honest. Fleming's Bond is cold and inhuman, a sexist, racist, bigot who is completely unlikable throughout the entire story. I enjoyed far more Mathis and Vesper who I felt both had a bit more substance to them. I probably wouldn't have minded Bond's coldness if it made him a super spy but it didn't, there were quite a few times where he was afraid and that really jarred with my expectations of him.

If this had been written now it would not be popular at all, I read it because it was a classic and it does have a slight appeal in parts but I think I will stick with the films from now on. ( )
  LiteraryReadaholic | Mar 8, 2017 |
I thought it was a fairly fun book to read. I've never read a Bond book before and think I've only seen one or two movies and remember nothing about them. If it weren't for the horrible, absolutely terrible sexism, I would have likely loved it. Yes, I completely understand that it must be taken in context of the time and the sort of man Bond is and his profession. I get all of that but it still took away from my enjoyment of the book.

I don't think I'd read another but I'm glad I read this one. I don't know. Maybe I would read another. Maybe. ( )
1 vote amcheri | Jan 19, 2017 |
The first and possibly best Bond Novel. ( )
  David.Manns | Nov 28, 2016 |
If you've seen the movie then you know most of the plot and the twists. This is James Bonds first story, but not exactly an origin story. The mind of 007 is much more male than his exterior would give away. Feminists will probably hate his character and young men will still probably try to be him. I'm giving Fleming the benefit of the doubt because of the time period when this was written, but I wish our female lead wasn't so weak. Audio-Hoopla ( )
  aurorapaigem | Nov 23, 2016 |

Ian Flemingprimary authorall editionscalculated
Deaver, JefferyIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fahey, RichieCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The scent and smoke and sweat of a casino are nauseating at three in the morning.
The Devil has no prophets to write his Ten Commandments and no teams of authors to write his biography. His case has gone completely by default. We know nothing about him but a lot of fairy stories from our parents and schoolmasters. He has no book from which we can learn the nature of evil in all its forms, with parables about evil people, proverbs about evil people, folk-lore about evil people. All we have is the living example of the people who are least good, or our own intuition.
"surround yourself with human beings, my dear James. They are easier to fight for than principles. But don't let me down and become human yourself. We would lose such a wonderful machine."
“Your own injuries are serious, but your life is not in danger... If all goes well, you will recover completely and none of the functions of your body will be impaired... But I fear that you will continue to be in pain for several days...”
James Bond

closed his eyes and waited for the pain. He knew that the beginning of torture was the worst.

Le Chiffre
The formidable, dangerous French Communist with large sexual appetites. Paymaster of SMERSH and a master sadist.

Vesper Lynd
the conquest of her body would each time have the sweet tang of rape.

A superlative thriller. Replete with elegant, enigmatic women, superb food and service, explosions, torture and sudden death. - Boston Sunday Post

The best gambling scene one can recall and the most revolting torture scenes. - The Birmingham Post

Hums with tension - Time Magazine
For James Bond and the British Secret Service, the stakes couldn't be higher. 007's mission is to neutralize the Russian operative Le Chiffre by ruining him at the baccarat table, forcing his Soviet masters to "retire" him. When Le Chiffre hits a losing streak, Bond discovers his luck is in - that is, until he meets Vesper Lynd, a glamorous agent who might yet prove to be his downfall. This audiobook includes an exclusive bonus interview with Dan Stevens.
Double Oh Seven
gambles with a union boss
who's a SMERSH agent.
(yoyogod)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 014200202X, Paperback)

In the first of Ian Fleming's James Bond novels, 007 declares war on Le Chiffre, French communist and paymaster of the Soviet murder organization SMERSH.

The battle begins with a fifty-million-franc game of baccarat, gains momentum during Bond's fiery love affair with a sensuous lady spy, and reaches a chilling climax with fiendish torture at the hands of a master sadist. For incredible suspense, unexpected thrills, and extraordinary danger, nothing can beat James Bond in his inaugural adventure.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:50 -0400)

In the first James Bond novel, originally published in 1953, 007 takes on Le Chiffre, a French communist and paymaster of the Soviet murder organization SMERSH, as the suave agent becomes involved in a high-stakes game of baccarat, enjoys a fiery love affair with a sexy female spy, and endures torture at the hands of a master sadist.… (more)

Legacy Library: Ian Fleming

Ian Fleming has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Ian Fleming's legacy profile.

See Ian Fleming's author page.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,100,101 books! | Top bar: Always visible