Mundo Fantasma by Daniel Clowes

Mundo Fantasma (edition 2001)

by Daniel Clowes

Member:syrin
Title:Mundo Fantasma
Authors:Daniel Clowes
Info:
Rating:*****
Tags:Comics, Graphic Novels, Mundo Fantasma, Private Collection

Ghost World by Daniel Clowes

Skim by Mariko Tamaki (JFDR)
    Vakuum by Lukas Jüliger (JuliaMaria)
    JuliaMaria: Heranwachsende; einmal Jungs, einmals Mädchen. Jeweils perfekt grafisch umgesetzt in eine spannende nachdenklich machende Geschichte.
    Blankets by Craig Thompson (hazzabamboo)

English (47)  Finnish (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (49)
I saw the movie version with Thora Birch and Scarlett Johansson back in the day long before I read the graphic novel, and I can't say I recall much about it. I remember being entertained even though nothing stands out from my mind. The source comic by Daniel Clowes feels much the same way. The scenes are eventful and packed with angst without being memorable. That sounds harsh but I only intend it as my candid observation of a heavily nuanced work of social commentary.

Clowes writes an intelligent narrative. Almost cerebral. Enid is complex and conflicted, both prone to her impulses and inaction. I was curious to see where the story would go and was satisfied by the end. I just wasn't moved one way or the other about it. ( )
  Daniel.Estes | Dec 1, 2014 |
I loved the movie version of Ghost World as a teenager, so when a fellow book blogger offered to send on her copy of the graphic novel, I eagerly accepted. And I'm so glad I did! To start with I wasn't sure I was going to like the style, either in terms of the art work OR the dialogue, but the further I delved, the more I appreciated it. It's actually made up of several short and largely self-contained vignettes that fall along a linear timeline, rather than following one big story arc, which probably helped, because I could dip into it for light relief in between chapters of another novel. It had its kooky moments, and its poignant ones, and it was a good excuse to watch the movie again for the first time in years. I think I like the adaptation more, but it was still a lot of fun! ( )
  elliepotten | Oct 24, 2014 |
2.5 stars

This is a graphic novel, and there didn’t seem to be much of a storyline. Two teenage girls have just graduated from high school and I gathered this was the summer afterward.

I wasn’t very impressed. Neither of the girls was particularly likeable, and at times I found them a bit annoying. ( )
  LibraryCin | May 5, 2014 |
I never say this, but I liked the movie better than the graphic novel. Still, I would recommend it to any teen who enjoyed the movie. ( )
  SparklePonies | May 1, 2014 |
This book reminds me of the summer between 8th and 9th grades. ( )
  allisonneke | Dec 17, 2013 |
This book is a fascinating insight into the mind of the disenfranchised youngster, and anyone who can remember being there will probably understand the journey the girls are going on.
added by stephmo | editGrovel

for Erika
"Why do you have this?"

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0224060880, Paperback)

Dan Clowes described the story in Ghost World as the examination of "the lives of two recent high school graduates from the advantaged perch of a constant and (mostly) undetectable eavesdropper, with the shaky detachment of a scientist who has grown fond of the prize microbes in his petri dish." From this perch comes a revelation about adolescence that is both subtle and coolly beautiful. Critics have pointed out Clowes's cynicism and vicious social commentary, but if you concentrate on those aspects, you'll miss the exquisite whole that Clowes has captured. Each chapter ends with melancholia that builds towards the amazing, detached, ghostlike ending.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:41:30 -0400)

One of the best-selling and critically-acclaimed graphic novels of all-time telling the story of two supremely ironic, above-it-all teenagers facing the thrilling uncertainty of life after high school. As they attempt to carry their life-long friendship into a new era, the careful dynamics of their inseparable bond are jolted, and what seemed like a future of endless possibilities looks more like an encroaching reality of strip malls, low-paying service jobs and fading memories.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,487,253 books! | Top bar: Always visible