Mundo Fantasma by Daniel Clowes

Mundo Fantasma (edition 2001)

by Daniel Clowes

Member:syrin
Title:Mundo Fantasma
Authors:Daniel Clowes
Info:
Rating:*****
Tags:Comics, Graphic Novels, Mundo Fantasma, Private Collection

Ghost World by Daniel Clowes

Skim by Mariko Tamaki (JFDR)
    Vakuum by Lukas Jüliger (JuliaMaria)
    JuliaMaria: Heranwachsende; einmal Jungs, einmals Mädchen. Jeweils perfekt grafisch umgesetzt in eine spannende nachdenklich machende Geschichte.
    Blankets by Craig Thompson (hazzabamboo)

English (45)  Finnish (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (47)
2.5 stars

This is a graphic novel, and there didn’t seem to be much of a storyline. Two teenage girls have just graduated from high school and I gathered this was the summer afterward.

I wasn’t very impressed. Neither of the girls was particularly likeable, and at times I found them a bit annoying. ( )
  LibraryCin | May 5, 2014 |
I never say this, but I liked the movie better than the graphic novel. Still, I would recommend it to any teen who enjoyed the movie. ( )
  SparklePonies | May 1, 2014 |
This book reminds me of the summer between 8th and 9th grades. ( )
  allisonneke | Dec 17, 2013 |
Kind of reminded me of Napoleon Dynamite in that the character's crippling self-centeredness kind of ruins any impact/entertainment value the story could have had, and leaves a sour taste in my mouth. ( )
  Zabeth | Dec 9, 2013 |
I can see how this comic would have massive cult appeal to the 'disenfranchised youth' of the 90's. However, this book is the bastard child of Strangers in Paradise and Johnny the Homicidal Maniac with a dash of Clerks. It has all the negativity of both books (Plus Daria and Roseanne) but none of the wit, charm or cleverness.

Don't get me wrong, I love negativity. Negativity is awesome if delivered with some class. This book has no class.

Like mommy Strangers in Paradise it features two young woman who are just trying to find their way in the world but like Daddy JtHM, it hates everyone and swears up a storm.

Enid and Rebecca are not fun people, they are not interesting people. They are everything they hate and there is nothing endearing about them.

The passage of time in the book is...hard to follow, with scenes suddenly ending for new ones. Are these flashbacks? And then suddenly Enid goes off to college then...comes back to visit and Rebecca stays in stupid-head nowhere with the guy? What am I supposed to take away from this? The more things change?

The writing wasn't witty or new, it was all the cliche stuff we expect 'nihilistic', misanthropic teenagers say.

I will at least give credit where it's due in the sake that they did feel like real people.

Real people I'd never hang out with.

If you liked this book, I'd recommend Strangers in Paradise for some quality "Who am I and what's my purpose?" story. ( )
  AnarchicQ | Oct 30, 2013 |
This book is a fascinating insight into the mind of the disenfranchised youngster, and anyone who can remember being there will probably understand the journey the girls are going on.
added by stephmo | editGrovel

Information from the Portuguese (Brazil) Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.
for Erika
"Why do you have this?"

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0224060880, Paperback)

Dan Clowes described the story in Ghost World as the examination of "the lives of two recent high school graduates from the advantaged perch of a constant and (mostly) undetectable eavesdropper, with the shaky detachment of a scientist who has grown fond of the prize microbes in his petri dish." From this perch comes a revelation about adolescence that is both subtle and coolly beautiful. Critics have pointed out Clowes's cynicism and vicious social commentary, but if you concentrate on those aspects, you'll miss the exquisite whole that Clowes has captured. Each chapter ends with melancholia that builds towards the amazing, detached, ghostlike ending.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:41:30 -0400)

One of the best-selling and critically-acclaimed graphic novels of all-time telling the story of two supremely ironic, above-it-all teenagers facing the thrilling uncertainty of life after high school. As they attempt to carry their life-long friendship into a new era, the careful dynamics of their inseparable bond are jolted, and what seemed like a future of endless possibilities looks more like an encroaching reality of strip malls, low-paying service jobs and fading memories.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,628,232 books! | Top bar: Always visible