Ghost World by Daniel Clowes

Ghost World (edition 2007)

by Daniel Clowes

Member:hughbeattie
Title:Ghost World
Authors:Daniel Clowes
Info:Vintage/Ebury (a Division of Random House Gro (2007), Paperback, 80 pages

Ghost World by Daniel Clowes

Skim by Mariko Tamaki (JFDR)
    Agrippina by Claire Bretecher (JuliaMaria)
    Blankets by Craig Thompson (hazzabamboo)
    Vakuum by Lukas Jüliger (JuliaMaria)
    JuliaMaria: Heranwachsende; einmal Jungs, einmals Mädchen. Jeweils perfekt grafisch umgesetzt in eine spannende nachdenklich machende Geschichte.

English (58)  Finnish (1)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (61)
Enid and Becky are teenage girls in a suburban town who are flitting about between various awkward social and sexual interactions as they try to figure out the direction of their lives. Ghost World tells the story of their angst and their encounters with creeps, nice guys, and everyone else in between.

Perhaps my expectations were just too high with this book -- it has a lot of hype, a major film was based off of it, and I had previously enjoyed Clowes's Mister Wonderful -- but I found this book rather disappointing. Clowes is credited with having a keen ear for the youth voice, but I remember being a teen girl and hanging out with other teen girls yet never did I once hear one of them say, "See that guy ... He gives me a total boner!" Still, Clowes does tap into a lot of typical teen issues like navigating sexual identity, holding on to nostalgia for childhood while looking forward to the future, and negotiating the fine line of trying to keep old friendships when starting a new chapter. However, the almost unremitting cynicism and cruelty of the two main characters to each other and everyone else around them made it very difficult to care for them or their situations.

The limited palette scheme of black, white, and pale blue made for interesting illustrations. The short, vignette-style chapters allow for the book to be a quick read. Still, all in all, this book wasn't really my cup of tea. I am curious to see how it translates into film though, so I'll be checking out the movie next. ( )
  sweetiegherkin | Sep 1, 2016 |
Ghost World the graphic novel which was later made into a feature film offers the satisfaction of completing a book in a single sitting, if that is your thing. In my case I took my pleasure, and at times displeasure (the characters are 90s vintage Mean Girls) over a long weekend in the country. Ghost World itself covers several months or weeks in the life of its heroines, best of buds Enid (Coleslaw) Cohn and Rebecca Doppelmeyer, and a strange cast of other characters who appear and disappear in the different chapters that were once stand alone comics. Though each chapter is self-contained, the story has a loose narrative arch. When the girls are not being nasty and obnoxious, they are making bemused and cynical observations of their surroundings. Ghost World has been rightly credited with realistic sounding dialogue and expertly capturing teen age angst. At times Enid and Rebecca can be extremely funny but the overall tone of the graphic novel is sadness and loss of innocence. You come to realize over time that their nastiness is rooted in pain and vulnerability. Finishing the book I was glad to have long ago left those years behind me. ( )
  OccassionalRead | Jul 20, 2016 |
Strangely enough, the movie is way better than the graphic novel. The graphic novel had very little depth or plot, but for inspiring the movie I give it a three. ( )
  Stmurdock | Jul 17, 2016 |
I enjoyed the movie of Ghost World and hadn't made the connection with Daniel Clowes until I saw this book. This special edition contains the original comics, a couple of amusing extras, and the screenplay for the movie (also written by Clowes), which I wasn't so interested in (I just don't really enjoy reading screenplays). The characters of Rebecca and Enid are very nicely done and very human if not exactly likeable. Their extreme cynicism masks their vulnerability and fear. ( )
  questbird | May 12, 2016 |
I kept looking for certain scenes from the film that never came, of course this is the original but I'd already been contaminated by the film. The good thing though is that I really felt a conection with Enid this time. ( )
  Glaucialm | Feb 18, 2016 |
This book is a fascinating insight into the mind of the disenfranchised youngster, and anyone who can remember being there will probably understand the journey the girls are going on.
added by stephmo | editGrovel

for Erika
"Why do you have this?"

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0224060880, Paperback)

Dan Clowes described the story in Ghost World as the examination of "the lives of two recent high school graduates from the advantaged perch of a constant and (mostly) undetectable eavesdropper, with the shaky detachment of a scientist who has grown fond of the prize microbes in his petri dish." From this perch comes a revelation about adolescence that is both subtle and coolly beautiful. Critics have pointed out Clowes's cynicism and vicious social commentary, but if you concentrate on those aspects, you'll miss the exquisite whole that Clowes has captured. Each chapter ends with melancholia that builds towards the amazing, detached, ghostlike ending.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:41 -0400)

One of the best-selling and critically-acclaimed graphic novels of all-time telling the story of two supremely ironic, above-it-all teenagers facing the thrilling uncertainty of life after high school. As they attempt to carry their life-long friendship into a new era, the careful dynamics of their inseparable bond are jolted, and what seemed like a future of endless possibilities looks more like an encroaching reality of strip malls, low-paying service jobs and fading memories.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,271,940 books! | Top bar: Always visible