Junky: The Definitive Text of Junk (50th…

Junky: The Definitive Text of Junk (50th Anniversary Edition) (edition 2003)

by William S. Burroughs, Allen Ginsberg (Foreword), Oliver Harris (Contributor)

3,534331,495 (3.73)1 / 103
Title:Junky: The Definitive Text of Junk (50th Anniversary Edition)
Authors:William S. Burroughs
Other authors:Allen Ginsberg (Foreword), Oliver Harris (Contributor)
Info:Penguin (Non-Classics) (2003), Edition: 50 Anv, Paperback, 208 pages

Junky by William S. Burroughs

English (30)  French (2)  Danish (1)  All languages (33)
This book made itself seen every time I stood in front of my 1001-bookcase to pick a new one to read. Therefor today I picked it.

Read it in one afternoon. It is indeed a remarkable read. In my younger days I read some books ((auto)biographies) on how teenagers got addicted and was quite impressed about that.
This one is something completely different. For seemingly no reason in particular, the narrator gets addicted to morphine and a lot of other addictive things that are out there.
It was an interesting read, but most of all it made me angry. To read how a man deliberately ruins his life. How addiction takes over and does not leave him again. ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | Oct 29, 2015 |
Well, the good thing is that I finished it and can now say I've read it. I didn't like it very much though... The main character (apparently Burroughs) presents his addiction as a cold factual situation which he could, and did, overcome at will. I think his gender, his age, his race and his economic station at the point of his addiction played a pivotal and yet unacknowledged role in his theories and "advice" for dealing with a junk addiction. I'm pretty sure he was not smarter than the medical experts and I suspect his descent into junk addiction played a bigger role in his "great" understandings of how to kick or cure the habit than did any factual reality.

I guess it's one of those books everyone who "reads literature", or, at least, reads American literature has to say they've read... so I've done that. Now I'm going to go drink too much wine and see what theories of alcohol addiction and recovery I can pull out of my rear-end. ( )
  crazybatcow | Aug 18, 2015 |
Pretty crazy read. This guy has seen and done some shit and most of this book, as the title suggests, is about his experiences with drugs, particularly Heroin.

We follow him as he goes through his daily quest to get high. Sometimes he is selling and we learn about the hassles and pitfalls of dealing with customers who are always asking for something on tick. We hear his opinions on weed, coke, speed, time spent in jail.

It is quite sobering and something that takes you down into the dirty parts of this lifestyle. Nothing is glorified and polished and if you ever to know what this world is like, this guy has done it so you dont have too. ( )
  areadingmachine | Jul 6, 2015 |
This semi-autobiographical narrative was a very interesting read for the fact that it deals in depth with drug culture in a time that I was not even aware there was one. I also had absolutely no clue that Burroughs was from St. Louis. ( )
  bookwyrmm | Nov 21, 2014 |
I understand why people love this book, it wasn't for me. I don't necessarily have to have the beginning, middle, end plot standard, but I do need to feel that a story is going somewhere. This was just ramblings to me. It didn't work for me. I listened to the audiobook and didn't particularly love the narrator, either. ( )
  hollishter | Nov 10, 2014 |

Lendínez, MartínTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Roca, FrancescTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stuart, NeilCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Yli-Juonikas, JaakkoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
My first experience with junk was during the War, about 1944 or 1945.
I was born in 1914 in a solid, three-story, brick house in a large Midwest city. (Prologue)
Originally published as Junkie under the name William Lee.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0142003166, Paperback)

Before his 1959 breakthrough, Naked Lunch, an unknown William S. Burroughs wrote Junk, his first book, a candid, eyewitness account of times and places that are now long gone. This book brings them vividly to life again; it is an unvarnished field report from the American postwar underground. For this definitive 50th-anniversary edition, eminent Burroughs scholar Oliver Harris has painstakingly re-created the author's original text, word by word, from archival typescripts. Here for the first time are Burroughs's own unpublished Introduction and an entire omitted chapter, along with many "lost" passages and auxiliary texts by Allen Ginsberg and others. Harris's comprehensive Introduction reveals the composition history of Junk's text and places its contents against a lively historical background.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:50 -0400)

"Before his 1959 breakthrough, Naked Lunch, an unknown William S. Burroughs wrote Junk, his first novel. It is a candid eye-witness account of times and places that are now long gone, an unvarnished field report from the American post-war underground." "Unafraid to portray himself in 1953 as a confirmed member of two socially-despised under classes (a narcotics addict and a homosexual), Burroughs was writing as a trained anthropologist when he unapologetically described a way of life - in New York, New Orleans, and Mexico City - that by the 1940's was already demonized by the artificial anti-drug hysteria of an opportunistic bureaucracy and a cynical, prostrate media." "For this fiftieth-anniversary edition, eminent Burroughs scholar Oliver Harris has painstakingly recreated the author's original text, word by word, from archival typescripts and places the book's contents against a lively historical background in a comprehensive introduction. Here as well, for the first time, are Burroughs' own unpublished introduction and an entire omitted chapter, along with many "lost" passages, as well as auxiliary texts by Allen Ginsberg and others."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141189827, 014104540X, 0241956781

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,953,901 books! | Top bar: Always visible