Obernewtyn by Isobelle Carmody

Obernewtyn

by Isobelle Carmody

Series: The Obernewtyn Chronicles (1)

Slow to start but gets better. A lot of the first couple of chapters is world building. Can totally see why Isobel Carmody has such a following. And why they are hanging out for the end of this series. Great one for pre teen good readers ( )
  SashaM | Apr 20, 2016 |
The beginning of a quest. The start of figuring out who you are? ( )
  DaffiMere | Nov 15, 2015 |
Obernewtyn by Isobelle Carmody is the first book in The Obernewtyn Chronicles. It was first published in 1987, but still holds up today as a well written dystopian novel. The book starts off a little slow for me, though I'm sure it's hard to build and describe a dystopian world. Today's books usually start off with more action, but Carmody took her time to give us a true sense of the world.

The story is told in first person narrative. Quite often that made things more passive. Instead of relating what was said in exact words, Elspeth will tell us that she told them such and such and they said okay. I'd rather the actual interaction was played out. Also, dialects were used in some of the characters speech such as, "Dinna worry 'bout 'er." That was hard to read. Characters could have been more well rounded, but as it's a series, I hope that happens as the books progress.

The world and storyline were well written. It helped me to overlook the other minor annoyances and keep me reading. I do want to know what happens next! ( )
  NCRainstorm | Mar 26, 2014 |
This book had brilliant characters and a pretty good storyline, however it seemed to me the writing was at times a bit ambigious. I don't know, maybe it was just me. But I did enjoy it and am looking forward to the next ones. And now I have one book marked off my Aussie Readers Summer Challenge list :) ( )
  crashmyparty | Feb 26, 2014 |
Read this a few years ago now, but loved it and promptly tried to track down others in the series. ( )
  Peace2 | Jan 11, 2014 |
Blends graceful storytelling with appealing characters.

Isobelle Carmodyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Elwell, TristanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Brenda
Introduction:
In the days following the holocaust, which came to be known as the Great White, there was death and madness.

Chapter 1:
Before first light we set out for the Silent Vale.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0375857672, Mass Market Paperback)

In a world struggling back from the brink of apocalypse, life is harsh. And for Elspeth Gordie, it is also dangerous. That's because Elspeth has a secret: she is a Misfit, born with mysterious mental abilities that she must keep hidden under threat of death. And her worries only multiply when she is exiled to the mountain compound known as Obernewtyn, where—for all her talents—Elspeth may finally and truly be out of her depth. Then she learns she’s not the only one concealing secrets at Obernewtyn.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:18 -0400)

When she is exiled to Obernewtyn after her psychic abilities are discovered, Elspeth encounters others with powers like her own and discovers dark secrets concerning the ambitious overlords who control the destinies of all the outcasts.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140178546, 0140134050, 0143204785

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,883,430 books! | Top bar: Always visible