Saving Francesca by Melina Marchetta

Saving Francesca (2003)

by Melina Marchetta

English (63)  German (1)  All languages (64)
I haven't read anything that depicts depression and how it affects the loved ones of the depressed quite this honestly. The story is touching, but not overwhelming, and having dealt with depression myself, and with relatives who have been depressed, I can say that when one person is affected, everyone who loves that person is affected.

It's a well written story, without flowery language or metaphors that distort or soften the reality of the thing, and Marchetta's characters are a wonder, and so very easy to love, and identify with. ( )
  Nazgullie | Sep 11, 2014 |
RGG: Sweet story about a teenage girl's self-discovery and discovery of being in love while her mother recovers from a manic depression bout.
  rgruberexcel | Sep 4, 2014 |
  rgruberexcel | Sep 4, 2014 |
Really, could I expect anything less? ( )
  Summer_Missfictional | May 23, 2014 |

smirked
bawled
grinned

A Masterpiece
That's what Saving Francesca is.

Okay, that was my first "review poem". I want to start doing these regularly. Something unique to go with Counting in Bookcases. How did you like it?

As indicated by the poem above, I really enjoyed this book. Only a truly good book can evoke so much emotion. Really, I felt the whole time I was either laughing or flat-out bawling.

Saving Francesca really pulls at your heartstrings. Ultimately, it is about a girl who loses the strong, leader-like mother she knows to acute depression. Francesca suddenly has no one to tell her who she is, or to give advice.

Francesca is on her own to find friends. And finding good friends at "a school that pretend's it's coed by giving the girls their own bathroom" is kind of hard. Also, Francesca has family problems to figure out, including her aunt's wedding, her fathers guilt, and her grandmas stolen S biscuit recipe.

The characters, and Francesca's voice are what makes this such a good novel. You have the funny characters, who are deeper than they seem. You have the opinionated characters, who take great care of their friends. You have characters looking for their personality, when it is right there all along, just hidden. You have the shy characters, sweet characters, eccentric characters.

And, meanwhile, Francesca is telling the story, with her voice that is so real it cracks open your heart. You love her sarcastic comments, scattered thoughts, fragile outlook, growing opinions, angry moods, and "journey to self discovery".

You will grow to love Francesca, Mia, Thomas, Tara, Justine, Siobhan, Will, and Luca. I strongly recommend you read this. It is not exciting or action filled, but it is filled with things that happen to someone everyday but people fail to realize what they are feeling. Marchetta strikes truth in this amazing novel.

5/5 bookcases ( )
  Emily_Anne | Mar 16, 2014 |
For Luca
and
the St Mary's Cathedral College boys
... and for the girls there, too...
This morning, my mother didn't get out of bed.

Francesca is stuck at St. Sebastians, a boys' school that's pretends it's coed by giving the girls their own bathroom.  Her only female companions are an ultra-feminist, a rumored slut, and an an impossibly dorky accordion player.  The boys are no better, from Thomas who specializes in musical burping to Will, the perpetually frowning, smug moron that Francesca can't seem to stop thinking about.

Then there's Francesca's mother, who always thinks she knows what's best for Francesca—until she is suddenly stricken with acute depression, leaving Francesca lost, along, and without an inkling who she really is.  Simultaneously humorous, poignant, and impossible to put down, this is the story of a girl who must summon the strength to save her family, her social life and—hardest of all—herself.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:49:26 -0400)

Sixteen-year-old Francesca could use her outspoken mother's help with the problems of being one of a handful of girls at a parochial school that has just turned co-ed, but her mother has suddenly become severely depressed.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,937,135 books! | Top bar: Always visible