Saving Francesca by Melina Marchetta

Saving Francesca (2003)

by Melina Marchetta

Recently added byMKAllen, sdbookhound, private library, davidgn, KirSio, Leah422, valorrmac

English (64)  German (1)  All languages (65)
I love Melina Marchetta's writing. Like more than I think is normal to be honest. She writes in this real way. She doesn't write these tough strong women, she writes normal every day women who are tough in their own ways and strong in their own ways but are so relatable because they live the same lives as an ordinary person.
This book felt so real to me. Mental health issues are prominent in the book and it is portrayed accurately and it shows how it affects not just the person living with it but those surrounding that person. It shows very real relationships between people. How depression can tear a family apart, or bring it together. It shows how friendships are easy but also complicated. It shows how romantic relationships are usually complicated but sometimes simple.
Everything about this book was just so special. True, there was very little plot and was in all honesty very slow, but hearing about a girl just going to school everyday and her day to day life was actually really great in this book. Normally I want more, but I was happy with the basic storyline.
Melina Marchetta is brilliant. She writes stories taking place in Australia, already incredibly rare, she writes real characters that are often very uncomplicated, and to top it off she does all of this so beautifully. I recommend all of her books. Every single one she writes. ( )
  thatgirlbookworm | Aug 5, 2015 |
Wow. Starts out with a whiny teen in a 'Hallmark Hall of Fame' situation but quickly reveals itself to be real. Deft - we don't get to know Francesca for a long time, but that's because she doesn't know herself. We don't know much about Dad or brother, but that's because F. is wrapped up in her own coming-of-age challenges and being distracted by worries about Mummy. Good lessons for teens and for parents, told smoothly, almost lightly, with wit, insight, and heart. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
Fantastic characterizations and relationships, excellent voice, satisfying ending. Really enjoyed this! ( )
  devafagan | Jan 2, 2015 |
I haven't read anything that depicts depression and how it affects the loved ones of the depressed quite this honestly. The story is touching, but not overwhelming, and having dealt with depression myself, and with relatives who have been depressed, I can say that when one person is affected, everyone who loves that person is affected.

It's a well written story, without flowery language or metaphors that distort or soften the reality of the thing, and Marchetta's characters are a wonder, and so very easy to love, and identify with. ( )
  Nazgullie | Sep 11, 2014 |
RGG: Sweet story about a teenage girl's self-discovery and discovery of being in love while her mother recovers from a manic depression bout.
  rgruberexcel | Sep 4, 2014 |
For Luca
the St Mary's Cathedral College boys
... and for the girls there, too...
This morning, my mother didn't get out of bed.

Francesca is stuck at St. Sebastians, a boys' school that's pretends it's coed by giving the girls their own bathroom.  Her only female companions are an ultra-feminist, a rumored slut, and an an impossibly dorky accordion player.  The boys are no better, from Thomas who specializes in musical burping to Will, the perpetually frowning, smug moron that Francesca can't seem to stop thinking about.

Then there's Francesca's mother, who always thinks she knows what's best for Francesca—until she is suddenly stricken with acute depression, leaving Francesca lost, along, and without an inkling who she really is.  Simultaneously humorous, poignant, and impossible to put down, this is the story of a girl who must summon the strength to save her family, her social life and—hardest of all—herself.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:53 -0400)

Sixteen-year-old Francesca could use her outspoken mother's help with the problems of being one of a handful of girls at a parochial school that has just turned co-ed, but her mother has suddenly become severely depressed.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,765,279 books! | Top bar: Always visible