So Much to Tell You by John Marsden

So Much to Tell You (1987)

by John Marsden

I first read Marina's story when I was in year 7 and it has never left me. I have never forgotten her, as promised on the blurb. My second read, years later, was just as moving as the first.

Due to a horrific accident that changed her life, Marina does not speak. Exasperated, her mother ships her between therapists and hospitals and finally to boarding school, where Marina shares a dorm with eight other girls. She is deeply guarded and self conscious and spends her days cowering and scurrying around the school, trying not to be noticed by others.

If this book had been written from another point of view, my feelings about Marina may have been completely different. But written as it was, in her journal, put me inside her head. I felt what she felt. I was scared for her when she was, even if to someone else it may not make sense. I wept for her and felt those small buds of hope and happiness when she did. I wanted her to get well, but I also wanted her to do it in her own time. I felt time was important. And it was. When she finally spoke again, I cried and cried. It was beautifully executed. So simple but so necessary. The courage she showed was enormous.

A beautiful book. A forever favourite by one of Australia's most loved authors. ( )
  crashmyparty | Dec 9, 2014 |
Set in Australia in the mid-eighties, this first person narrative follows the experiences of 14 year old Marina after being transferred from a hospital to a new boarding school. The narrative is in the form of entries in a journal that her English teacher is requiring all his students to keep. Only gradually do we begin to see her and learn why she is at the school and why she doesn't speak. I began reading this book to see if it should be included on my school's shelves and soon found myself unable to put the book down as Marina learned to relate to those around her. The publication page indicates an interest level of 6th grade and up and I would recommend it for that age group.

Tricia
  cmslib29631 | Feb 27, 2010 |
  hailelib | Feb 21, 2010 |
A very well written and intelligent look at a teen recovering from a traumatic event, and I love the fact, that no blame is laid, and that there are no easy answers, or fluffy-bunny-hug instant cures, it’s all the more powerful (and realistic) a story, for the fact, Marina still has long journey ahead of her.

Read and comment on my full review at:
http://www.bartsbookshelf.co.uk/2009/02/22/so-much-to-tell-you-by-john-marsden/ ( )
  bart154ce | Feb 22, 2009 |
Based on a true story and written in diary format, this is the story of one girl , lonely ans isolated in boarding school, and her attempts to find a future for herself. ( )
  teentips | Oct 29, 2008 |
To John Manzur, the "Lildell"of this book; and to "Liza".
I don't know what I am doing here.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0449703746, Mass Market Paperback)

After what happened to her face, Marina stopped talking. Completely. Even the people at the hospital couldn't help her find her voice again. In an almost hopeless, last-ditch effort, Marina is shuffled to a boarding school--where she's required to keep a journal. Ugh! Slowly, though, the secrets begin to pour from her spirit onto the paper. The more shape she can give to the nightmare, the more she is released from it. This is one of the most intelligent, realistic novels about post-traumatic stress ever written for young people. Marina's transformation will inspire any teen who has ever struggled to find his or her voice.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:53 -0400)

Sent to a hospital by her mother, Marina, a disfigured Australian girl who refuses to speak, reveals her thoughts and feelings in a diary.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,365,721 books! | Top bar: Always visible