So Much to Tell You by John Marsden

So Much to Tell You (1987)

by John Marsden

Life is very complicated for Marina. Shipped off to boarding school, in a world she doesn’t fit in with, trying to understand life. She sets out writing a journal for an assignment but she really takes to it and in the journal we find really what is going on within her head. She is socially awkward dealing with a tragic accident that has left her face scarred; and she hasn’t spoken a word since this incident.

I picked up this book on a couple of peoples recommendation; John Marsden really is a stand out Australian author and this is probably the best I’ve read of his works. I like realistic YA novels that features an angsty, socially awkward protagonist. I think it’s just that I relate well with them and ever since discovering John Green I’ve been looking for more books like this.

So Much to Tell You reminds me a lot of Perks of Being A Wallflower, with the way it’s written, slowly we discover these protagonists; all their anger and hurt and frustrations. But there is always a sense of mystery that doesn’t seem to be revealed. With this novel it is how she got these scars and why she hates her father so much. I know she has issues of abandonment but with the scars I know something bad happened; I thought it was a case of her father setting her on fire (but that’s just my disturbing mind).

This is a wonderful story of discovery and understanding. I loved Marina as a characters and finding more and more about her was what really drove this story home for me. But there was one major issue that I had with this novel, without spoiling anything; I had a WTF moment with the way this book ended.

So Much to Tell You is a perfect example of great realistic YA literature and proves that Australian YA authors have so much to offer. This is a very short book but well worth reading. I did feel like this was focused on a younger audience than other YA novels I’ve read. I would have liked it to be a little darker but still a wonderful read. ( )
  knowledgelost | Mar 30, 2013 |
Set in Australia in the mid-eighties, this first person narrative follows the experiences of 14 year old Marina after being transferred from a hospital to a new boarding school. The narrative is in the form of entries in a journal that her English teacher is requiring all his students to keep. Only gradually do we begin to see her and learn why she is at the school and why she doesn't speak. I began reading this book to see if it should be included on my school's shelves and soon found myself unable to put the book down as Marina learned to relate to those around her. The publication page indicates an interest level of 6th grade and up and I would recommend it for that age group.

Tricia
  cmslib29631 | Feb 27, 2010 |
  hailelib | Feb 21, 2010 |
A very well written and intelligent look at a teen recovering from a traumatic event, and I love the fact, that no blame is laid, and that there are no easy answers, or fluffy-bunny-hug instant cures, it’s all the more powerful (and realistic) a story, for the fact, Marina still has long journey ahead of her.

Read and comment on my full review at:
http://www.bartsbookshelf.co.uk/2009/02/22/so-much-to-tell-you-by-john-marsden/ ( )
  bart154ce | Feb 22, 2009 |
Based on a true story and written in diary format, this is the story of one girl , lonely ans isolated in boarding school, and her attempts to find a future for herself. ( )
  teentips | Oct 29, 2008 |
To John Manzur, the "Lildell"of this book; and to "Liza".
I don't know what I am doing here.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0449703746, Mass Market Paperback)

After what happened to her face, Marina stopped talking. Completely. Even the people at the hospital couldn't help her find her voice again. In an almost hopeless, last-ditch effort, Marina is shuffled to a boarding school--where she's required to keep a journal. Ugh! Slowly, though, the secrets begin to pour from her spirit onto the paper. The more shape she can give to the nightmare, the more she is released from it. This is one of the most intelligent, realistic novels about post-traumatic stress ever written for young people. Marina's transformation will inspire any teen who has ever struggled to find his or her voice.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:53 -0400)

Sent to a hospital by her mother, Marina, a disfigured Australian girl who refuses to speak, reveals her thoughts and feelings in a diary.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,406,931 books! | Top bar: Always visible