The Farseekers by Isobelle Carmody

The Farseekers

by Isobelle Carmody

Series: The Obernewtyn Chronicles (2)

Recently added byandrewfx51, dreampotter33, naybyers, private library, sophiana689, doopster, Eurekas, lyrrael

The Farseekers by Isobelle Carmody is the second book of The Obernewtyn Chronicles. It was first published in 1990, three years after the first book Obernewtyn. That was back when books in a series weren't cranked out year after year. Readers nowadays are more impatient. Yes, that includes me!

For me, The Farseekers was a good bit better than Obernewtyn. It's set two years after the end of the first book, Elspeth is now 17. Being older opens Elspeth's character to a lot more possibilities. All the characters in this book were better developed.

I love the animals being sentient and how each animal has a distinct personality. It's true in real life (the personality part) and it's great to see it in the book. It's fascinating how the bonds form between the humans and the animals.

The story pace picks up more in The Farseekers and is even more enjoyable to read. ( )
  NCRainstorm | Mar 26, 2014 |
Enjoyed this and was keen to track down what came next when I read this. ( )
  Peace2 | Jan 11, 2014 |
Plot: 4 stars
Characters: 3 stars
Style: 2 stars
Pace: 3 stars

Travel story. Not bad, but I keep wanting more out of these. There's just something missing, and I can't put my finger on it, to take this up a star or two. ( )
  Jami_Leigh | Mar 31, 2013 |
Not a bad sequel, happy to see Elspeth grow a little bit more.
Frustrating that we didn't know how long after book one this is... it seems like a few years at least.

And... prophet birds nearly ruined it for me >.
I will read the next one, only because it has been on loan from the library for a few months. ( )
  erincathryn | Mar 31, 2013 |
This is the second book in the obernewtyn chronicels. obernewtyn is now a place for misfits to learn and controll their powers. A group of misfits set out on an expidition to get more befortimmer books. Along the way they meet a rebel andjoin forces. When they reach the library, they find a girl who has the ability to project images into your mind. They rescue her and teach her how to speek.

I admit the main reason I like these books is because of the relationship of elspeth and Rushton. I cant read books unless I have someone root for. I could tell in the series that one the two got together, the author wrote about them less and less. I think she ran out of ideas to make it important. I loved the seen where they are all in the library, and see pictures of dwarfs and mermaids and believed that they evolved from them.
  Talje.thoe2363 | May 31, 2012 |

Isobelle Carmodyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lee, ConnellCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Shane
Roland shook is head decisively.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0375857680, Mass Market Paperback)

in the two years since its takeover of Obernewtyn, the secret community of Misfits has flourished. Protected by their remoteness, Elspeth Gordie and her allies have worked hard to develop their forbidden mental abilities—all in preparation for their inevitable confrontation with the totalitarian Council. And though their training is far from complete, the Misfits can no longer stay hidden when they learn of the existence of a new Talent—one whose power may eclipse anything they have seen before.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:40:48 -0400)

When Elspeth and others undertake a dangerous journey to rescue a powerful psychic and find an enormous book trove, the fate of the Obernewtyn colony hangs in the balance.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,116,849 books! | Top bar: Always visible