Sarah's Key (Special Gift Edition) by…

Sarah's Key (Special Gift Edition) (original 2007; edition 2011)

by Tatiana de Rosnay

Member:saffron12
Title:Sarah's Key (Special Gift Edition)
Authors:Tatiana de Rosnay
Info:St. Martin's Press (2011), Edition: Special Edition, Hardcover, 400 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Rating:****1/2
Tags:2011_Reads, Fiction, france, historical

Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay (2007)

Recently added byarena35, alexrawlin, kewlgeek, Jo-anne.fraser, antrat1965, private library
    The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas by John Boyne (vvstokkom)
    vvstokkom: Ondanks dat het een zwaar onderwerp betreft, leest het net zo makkelijk weg.
    The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer (vulgarboatman)
    vulgarboatman: Similar themes surrounding a journalist discovering the layers of secrets about a mystery from WWII, along with an exploration of the effect of these events on the survivors, their families, and ultimately on the journalist herself.
    The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (vulgarboatman)
    Shadows of a Childhood by Elisabeth Gille (smcwl)
    smcwl: In this novel, written by Irene Nemirovsky's daughter, a young girl in Paris during the Occupation successfully hides during a police search, then stays hidden by a convent girls school during the war. Memorable images of the hotel set up as a post-war hospital and center for finding lost family members. Highly recommend.… (more)
    Suite Française by Irène Némirovsky (SqueakyChu)
    SqueakyChu: Both are novels that take place in Nazi-occupied France during WWII.
    Those Who Save Us by Jenna Blum (dara85)
    dara85: This also deals with the Holocaust. The book revolves around secrets that covers two generations.
    The Virgin Blue by Tracy Chevalier (JGoto)
    JGoto: This book has the same format and setting, but is a much better novel. The past deals with the Huguenots in France rather than the persecution of Jews.
    The Sixth Lamentation by William Brodrick (cransell)
    cransell: This novel also deals with the Vichy period in France, the aftermath of events that had happened there, and family secrets. It's a great read, if you found that time period interesting.
    The Things We Cherished: A Novel by Pam Jenoff (dara85)
    Ik schrijf u vanuit het Vel d'Hiv by Karen Taieb (guurtjesboekenkast)
    guurtjesboekenkast: Ook Sarah werd naar het Vélodrome d'Hiver in Parijs gebracht voordat ze naar het concentratiekamp werd gedeporteerd. Tatiana de Rosnay heeft zelfs het voorwoord geschreven voor dit boek.
    Het meisje uit de trein by Irma Joubert (guurtjesboekenkast)
    guurtjesboekenkast: Dit boek gaat ook over de tijd van de Holocaust

English (459)  Dutch (49)  Spanish (6)  French (5)  Danish (1)  Norwegian (1)  German (1)  All languages (522)
I was in France when a fellow traveler recommended that I read this book and I was so glad I did. Though we were on a trip to discover the history of France this particular segment of their history was never covered on our trip. My own previous readings had indicated that the German Nazi's were the ones that exterminated the French Jews, but Sarah's Key shows that the French government actively participated while the people ignored it for the most part.
This was a great book. I liked the alternating viewpoints between the child Sarah and the current-day journalist Julia. The story unfolded seamlessly and tugs at your heartstrings. I would definitely recommend this book. ( )
  N.W.Moors | Jun 25, 2015 |
At first the change in character voice in alternating chapters was disconcerting, but I got used to it just about the time the book reverted to one voice.

I learned a lot about France's role in the demise of Jews during WWII and I thoroughly enjoyed this book, crying several times.

I would have liked it better if some of the secondary characters, such as Sarah's husband, were less one-dimensional.

Stembie3 | Jun 14, 2015 |
The best parts of this book are about Sarah. It is certainly a revelation for those who might not know about France dring WWII. There is a creative if somewhat predictable weaving of the past and the present in the story. And if parts of the tale lag, it can be forgiven when reading the heart wrenching parts. ( )
  NewLiz | May 26, 2015 |
I thought this was a very good book, and the author's technique of going back and forth between the story of Sarah in the past and Julia in the present was very effective. I felt the author was espeically effective in her descriptions of people, events, and surroundings in Sarah's story -- it was very moving. In contrast, I felt that some of the main characters in Julia's present-day story could have used a little more development and complexity. Still, I thought the overall book was very good and kept me interested all the way. ( )
  AdrienneJS | May 18, 2015 |
Sarah's Key is an excellent story about events in France during World War II and the role of the French in rounding up the Jewish people. Sarah is a young Jewish girl that is rounded up and sent away with her mother and father. Thinking she is helping, she leaves her younger brother behind in a hiding place in her apartment. Sarah believes she will be back later that day to let him out. She has the key to the hiding place and keeps it with her always. As we now know from history, Sarah is not able to go back and her brother dies locked away in the hiding place. These events happened in 1942. Julia is an American journalist in Paris in 2002. She is researching the roundup of Jews in France and makes a discovery with a personal impact to her and her family. The stories of Sarah and Julia blend to give an excellent historical account of this period of history. Loved it!!! ( )
  alsparks324 | Apr 27, 2015 |
"Tatiana de Rosnay offers a brilliantly subtle, compelling portrait of France under occupation and reveals the taboos and silence that surround the painful episode in that country's history. De Rosnay's U.S. debut fictionalizes the 1942 Paris roundups and deportations, in which thousands of Jewish families were arrested, held at the Velodrome d'Hiver outside the city, then transported to Auschwitz. Forty-five-year-old Julia Jarmond, American by birth, moved to Paris when she was 20 and is married to the arrogant, unfaithful Bertrand Tezac, with whom she has an 11-year-old daughter. Julia writes for an American magazine and her editor assigns her to cover the 60th anniversary of the Vel' d'Hiv' roundups. Julia soon learns that the apartment she and Bertrand plan to move into was acquired by Bertrand's family when its Jewish occupants were dispossessed and deported 60 years before. She resolves to find out what happened to the former occupants: Wladyslaw and Rywka Starzynski, parents of 10-year-old Sarah and four-year-old Michel. The more Julia discovers — especially about Sarah, the only member of the Starzynski family to survive — the more she uncovers about Bertrand's family, about France and, finally, herself. Already translated into 15 languages, the novel is De Rosnay's 10th (but her first written in English, her first language). It beautifully conveys Julia's conflicting loyalties, and makes Sarah's trials so riveting, her innocence so absorbing, that the book is hard to put down." Publishers Weekly (starred review)
added by nicole_a_davis | editPublisher's Weekly

This is without a doubt the best book I've ever read. I was actually reading it during finals today, and I reached the saddest part in the book and began to cry. This book touched me and made me think like no other book ever has.
added by tonystark444 | editDuluth News Tribune

Tatiana de Rosnayprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Eggermont, MoniqueTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pouwels, KittyTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vermeulen, JorisAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
My God! What is this country doing to me? Because it has rejected me, let us consider it coldly, let us watch it lose its honor and its life. --Irene Nemirovsky, "Suite Francaise" -1942
Tyger! Tyger! burning bright In the forests of the night, What immortal hand or eye Could frame they fearful symmetry? --William Blake, "Songs of Experience"
To Stella, my mother To my beautiful, rebellious Charlotte In memory of Natacha, my grandmother -1914-2005
The girl was the first to hear the loud pounding on the door. Her room was closest to the entrance of the apartment. At first, dazed with sleep, she thought it was her father, coming up from his hiding place in the cellar. He'd forgotten his keys, and was impatient because nobody had heard his first, timid knock. But then came the voices, strong and brutal in the silence of the night. Nothing to do with her father. "Police! Open up! Now!"
Listening to Joshua, I realized how little I knew about what happened in Paris in July 1942. I hadn't learned about it in class back in Boston. And since I had come to Paris twenty-five years ago, I had not read much about it. It was like a secret. Something buried in the past. Something no one mentioned.
There had been over four thousand Jewish children penned in the Vel' d'Hiv', aged between two and twelve. Most of the children were French, born in France.
None of them came back from Auschwitz.
On July 16 and 17, 1942, 13,152 Jews were arrested in Paris and the suburbs, deported and assassinated at Auschwitz. In the Velodrome d'Hiver that once stood on this spot, 1,129 men, 2,916 women, and 4,115 children were packed here in inhuman conditions by the government of the Vichy police, by order of the Nazi occupant. May those who tried to save them be thanked. Passerby, never forget!

Paris, July 1942: Sarah, a ten-year-old girl, is taken with her parents by the French police as they go door to door arresting Jewish families in the middle of the night. Desperate to protect her younger brother, Sarah locks him in a bedroom cupboard -- their secret hiding place -- and promises to come back for him as soon as they are released. Sixty Years Later: Sarah's story intertwines with that of Julia Jarmond, an American journalist investigating the roundup. In her research Julia stumbles onto a trail of family secrets that link her to Sarah, and to questions about her own future.

On the anniversary of the roundup of Jews by the French police in Paris, Julia is asked to write an article on this dark episode and embarks on an investigation that leads her to long-hidden family secrets and to the ordeal of Sarah.

Tatiana de Rosnay is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,853,650 books! | Top bar: Always visible