Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay

Sarah's Key (original 2007; edition 2008)

by Tatiana de Rosnay

Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay (2007)

Recently added byDeborahJ2016, TheDivineOomba, ehelmke, lnmoser, Bookworms2011, roseupstone, cerosilva, LitaVore, cherobula, janie1111
    The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer (vulgarboatman)
    vulgarboatman: Similar themes surrounding a journalist discovering the layers of secrets about a mystery from WWII, along with an exploration of the effect of these events on the survivors, their families, and ultimately on the journalist herself.
    The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne (vvstokkom)
    vvstokkom: Ondanks dat het een zwaar onderwerp betreft, leest het net zo makkelijk weg.
    The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (vulgarboatman)
    Those Who Save Us by Jenna Blum (dara85)
    dara85: This also deals with the Holocaust. The book revolves around secrets that covers two generations.
    The Virgin Blue by Tracy Chevalier (JGoto)
    JGoto: This book has the same format and setting, but is a much better novel. The past deals with the Huguenots in France rather than the persecution of Jews.
    Shadows of a Childhood by Elisabeth Gille (smcwl)
    smcwl: In this novel, written by Irene Nemirovsky's daughter, a young girl in Paris during the Occupation successfully hides during a police search, then stays hidden by a convent girls school during the war. Memorable images of the hotel set up as a post-war hospital and center for finding lost family members. Highly recommend.… (more)
    Suite Française by Irène Némirovsky (SqueakyChu)
    SqueakyChu: Both are novels that take place in Nazi-occupied France during WWII.
    The Sixth Lamentation by William Brodrick (cransell)
    cransell: This novel also deals with the Vichy period in France, the aftermath of events that had happened there, and family secrets. It's a great read, if you found that time period interesting.
    The Things We Cherished: A Novel by Pam Jenoff (dara85)
    Ik schrijf u vanuit het Vel d'Hiv by Karen Taieb (guurtjesboekenkast)
    guurtjesboekenkast: Ook Sarah werd naar het Vélodrome d'Hiver in Parijs gebracht voordat ze naar het concentratiekamp werd gedeporteerd. Tatiana de Rosnay heeft zelfs het voorwoord geschreven voor dit boek.
    The Girl From the Train by Irma Joubert (guurtjesboekenkast)
    guurtjesboekenkast: Dit boek gaat ook over de tijd van de Holocaust

English (509)  Dutch (51)  Spanish (6)  French (5)  Danish (1)  Norwegian (1)  German (1)  All languages (574)
Mom got this from the Large-Print section at the library- I don't know if I flew through this book due to it being large-print or due to not wanting to have to NOT know how it ended overnight.

So sad and tragic and truthful all wrapped in on binding.

I knew, logically, the if France was occupied during WWII, that the Nazis were in charge and that the Jews must have been "dealt with" there, too, but the human cost in lives and ethics delineated here makes it hard to breathe.

I mean, we crammed too many people into the Dome here in NOLA during Katrina- people were hungry and thirsty and overheated and just this side of ready to riot, but nobody was keeping them in with guns, for god's sake. And when we bused them out at the end, it wasn't to death camps, it was to safety and some semblence of civilization...

And tucking away the truth because it is inconvenient and upsetting never works out in the end. ( )
  DeborahJ2016 | Oct 26, 2016 |
My Bookclub really seems to like this genre of WWII history - that is books written by a woman about how they what they did to survive WWII. Usually set in Europe, but sometimes in other places.

Where this book differed in many others is that the author was French, writing about something that not a lot of people knew about. It was a French Atrocity that wasn't talked about, those that experienced were too shell shocked, those that came after either didn't know, or didn't want to know.

The book itself is well written, but a bit heavy handed. This is a book translated from French - so as always, there’s always question of is it the translator, or is the author. A few things were not explained, like Bertrand blaming Julia for their problems- Julia reacted as if it was true, but no evidence was given.

The ending was a bit annoying - once the full story came out, the ending kept dragging. It could have been condensed.

Overall, a good story about the horrors of WWII Atrocities of the Jewish people in France. I'm glad I read it, but this book is not a happy one. ( )
  TheDivineOomba | Oct 23, 2016 |
Very enjoyable story. Reads very fast. ( )
  Luke_Brown | Sep 10, 2016 |
This is a beautifully written book. The chapters detailing the "roundup" were so said. While necessary to the story, I am glad these chapters were broken up with scenes from current times. I enjoyed reading about how Julia solved the mystery and the impact it had on her life. This was an educational and enjoyable read though I was a little disappointed in the ending. ( )
  slsmith101 | Aug 23, 2016 |
For the most part, I enjoyed the book. I was much more engaged in the story of Sarah and my enjoyment definitely waned once Julia's portion took over fully. The second half of the book was too predictable and I was more than ready for it to end. ( )
  amcheri | Aug 22, 2016 |
"Tatiana de Rosnay offers a brilliantly subtle, compelling portrait of France under occupation and reveals the taboos and silence that surround the painful episode in that country's history. De Rosnay's U.S. debut fictionalizes the 1942 Paris roundups and deportations, in which thousands of Jewish families were arrested, held at the Velodrome d'Hiver outside the city, then transported to Auschwitz. Forty-five-year-old Julia Jarmond, American by birth, moved to Paris when she was 20 and is married to the arrogant, unfaithful Bertrand Tezac, with whom she has an 11-year-old daughter. Julia writes for an American magazine and her editor assigns her to cover the 60th anniversary of the Vel' d'Hiv' roundups. Julia soon learns that the apartment she and Bertrand plan to move into was acquired by Bertrand's family when its Jewish occupants were dispossessed and deported 60 years before. She resolves to find out what happened to the former occupants: Wladyslaw and Rywka Starzynski, parents of 10-year-old Sarah and four-year-old Michel. The more Julia discovers — especially about Sarah, the only member of the Starzynski family to survive — the more she uncovers about Bertrand's family, about France and, finally, herself. Already translated into 15 languages, the novel is De Rosnay's 10th (but her first written in English, her first language). It beautifully conveys Julia's conflicting loyalties, and makes Sarah's trials so riveting, her innocence so absorbing, that the book is hard to put down." Publishers Weekly (starred review)
added by nicole_a_davis | editPublisher's Weekly
This is without a doubt the best book I've ever read. I was actually reading it during finals today, and I reached the saddest part in the book and began to cry. This book touched me and made me think like no other book ever has.
added by tonystark444 | editDuluth News Tribune

Tatiana de Rosnayprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Eggermont, MoniqueTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pouwels, KittyTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vermeulen, JorisAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
My God! What is this country doing to me? Because it has rejected me, let us consider it coldly, let us watch it lose its honor and its life. --Irene Nemirovsky, "Suite Francaise" -1942
Tyger! Tyger! burning bright In the forests of the night, What immortal hand or eye Could frame they fearful symmetry? --William Blake, "Songs of Experience"
To Stella, my mother To my beautiful, rebellious Charlotte In memory of Natacha, my grandmother -1914-2005
The girl was the first to hear the loud pounding on the door. Her room was closest to the entrance of the apartment. At first, dazed with sleep, she thought it was her father, coming up from his hiding place in the cellar. He'd forgotten his keys, and was impatient because nobody had heard his first, timid knock. But then came the voices, strong and brutal in the silence of the night. Nothing to do with her father. "Police! Open up! Now!"
Listening to Joshua, I realized how little I knew about what happened in Paris in July 1942. I hadn't learned about it in class back in Boston. And since I had come to Paris twenty-five years ago, I had not read much about it. It was like a secret. Something buried in the past. Something no one mentioned.
There had been over four thousand Jewish children penned in the Vel' d'Hiv', aged between two and twelve. Most of the children were French, born in France.
None of them came back from Auschwitz.
On July 16 and 17, 1942, 13,152 Jews were arrested in Paris and the suburbs, deported and assassinated at Auschwitz. In the Velodrome d'Hiver that once stood on this spot, 1,129 men, 2,916 women, and 4,115 children were packed here in inhuman conditions by the government of the Vichy police, by order of the Nazi occupant. May those who tried to save them be thanked. Passerby, never forget!

Paris, July 1942: Sarah, a ten-year-old girl, is taken with her parents by the French police as they go door to door arresting Jewish families in the middle of the night. Desperate to protect her younger brother, Sarah locks him in a bedroom cupboard -- their secret hiding place -- and promises to come back for him as soon as they are released. Sixty Years Later: Sarah's story intertwines with that of Julia Jarmond, an American journalist investigating the roundup. In her research Julia stumbles onto a trail of family secrets that link her to Sarah, and to questions about her own future.

On the anniversary of the roundup of Jews by the French police in Paris, Julia is asked to write an article on this dark episode and embarks on an investigation that leads her to long-hidden family secrets and to the ordeal of Sarah.

Tatiana de Rosnay is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,804,985 books! | Top bar: Always visible