Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay

Sarah's Key (original 2007; edition 2008)

by Tatiana de Rosnay

Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay (2007)

Recently added bytamila.eberle01, Rezeda, CNRGillLibrary, Floratina, LauraCerone, mcroson, zmschlesh, JazzyJazz, rnbwpnt
    The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas by John Boyne (vvstokkom)
    vvstokkom: Ondanks dat het een zwaar onderwerp betreft, leest het net zo makkelijk weg.
    The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer (vulgarboatman)
    vulgarboatman: Similar themes surrounding a journalist discovering the layers of secrets about a mystery from WWII, along with an exploration of the effect of these events on the survivors, their families, and ultimately on the journalist herself.
    The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (vulgarboatman)
    Suite Française by Irène Némirovsky (SqueakyChu)
    SqueakyChu: Both are novels that take place in Nazi-occupied France during WWII.
    Shadows of a Childhood by Elisabeth Gille (smcwl)
    smcwl: In this novel, written by Irene Nemirovsky's daughter, a young girl in Paris during the Occupation successfully hides during a police search, then stays hidden by a convent girls school during the war. Memorable images of the hotel set up as a post-war hospital and center for finding lost family members. Highly recommend.… (more)
    Those Who Save Us by Jenna Blum (dara85)
    dara85: This also deals with the Holocaust. The book revolves around secrets that covers two generations.
    The Virgin Blue by Tracy Chevalier (JGoto)
    JGoto: This book has the same format and setting, but is a much better novel. The past deals with the Huguenots in France rather than the persecution of Jews.
    The Sixth Lamentation by William Brodrick (cransell)
    cransell: This novel also deals with the Vichy period in France, the aftermath of events that had happened there, and family secrets. It's a great read, if you found that time period interesting.
    The Things We Cherished: A Novel by Pam Jenoff (dara85)
    Ik schrijf u vanuit het Vel d'Hiv by Karen Taieb (guurtjesboekenkast)
    guurtjesboekenkast: Ook Sarah werd naar het Vélodrome d'Hiver in Parijs gebracht voordat ze naar het concentratiekamp werd gedeporteerd. Tatiana de Rosnay heeft zelfs het voorwoord geschreven voor dit boek.
    The Girl From the Train by Irma Joubert (guurtjesboekenkast)
    guurtjesboekenkast: Dit boek gaat ook over de tijd van de Holocaust

English (499)  Dutch (51)  Spanish (6)  French (5)  Danish (1)  Norwegian (1)  German (1)  All languages (564)
The basic story was good, but I felt the modern part was at times illogic and too long. ( )
  therska | May 17, 2016 |
I really enjoyed reading this book. In the first half, I found that I couldn't put the book down. I liked how the chapters were separate until they merge the story together. I was unaware of this event, and I had lot's of thoughts buzzing in my head because of this knowledge. I don't understand how people can treat other people so badly. I am sad for all of the families that lost loved ones. The back half of the book was a bit slower for me, although, I still enjoyed it. I would recommend this book for others to read. ( )
  gma2lana | May 9, 2016 |
There is plenty of meat for book club discussions in this historical fiction set in Paris. An ex-pat American author goes through a marriage crisis as she discovers the shocking truth about her Paris apartment and her philandering husband. I could not put the book down, but I think younger readers who are not “a certain age” (like me) will not feel the connection with the protagonist, Julia Jarmond. Very educational about the WWII deportations without being too preachy - although I admit it is one-sided. ( )
  memccauley6 | May 3, 2016 |
Knjiga prati dve Pariske price,jednu iz 1942 o djevojcici Sari koja sa roditeljima krece u logore smrti i ostavlja malog brata zakljucanog u ormaru i drugu iz 2000 godine o amerikanki udanoj za francuza koja otkriva da treba da zivi u stanu gdje je umro mali djecak,ucinice sve da se tajne otkriju, da se pamti i nikad ne zaboravi... ( )
  ceca78 | Apr 10, 2016 |
Like many other reviewers, I found the parts of Sarah's Key dealing with the Vel d'Hiv expulsion and imprisonment intense, riveting and well written. Unfortunately, the modern day sections dealing with Julia Jarmond and her domestic travails greatly diminishes the seriousness of the first narrative. The quality of the writing appears to go downhill with the Julia story, in my opinion. It's almost as if the 2 stories were written by different authors.

The story of Sarah, her parents and her brother, Michel are compelling. The reader, if informed, will already know they are embarking onto a journey of dark despair but the author hasn't spared any heart breaking detail about the state of the dispossessed children in the camp.

Although I usually dislike a story that bounces back and forth, I actually found the alternating chapters of 1942 and the modern era to effectively speed up the story, at least until the last third of the book when the Julia storyline takes over.

The author does an admirable job of weaving together the two narratives as Julia discovers the apartment the family are renovating was the one from which Sarah's family was expelled.

Cleverly, Julia, our modern narrator is an American "outsider" who can research and consider the role of the Gendarmes more honestly than the French people themselves.

Sarah is the conscience the French police didn't have as she asks difficult questions as to her Jewishness and the unthinkable predicament she finds herself in.

I felt let down by the final chapters of the novel as the story wound itself down in a trite ending. Sarah's story deserved something better. ( )
  Zumbanista | Apr 7, 2016 |
"Tatiana de Rosnay offers a brilliantly subtle, compelling portrait of France under occupation and reveals the taboos and silence that surround the painful episode in that country's history. De Rosnay's U.S. debut fictionalizes the 1942 Paris roundups and deportations, in which thousands of Jewish families were arrested, held at the Velodrome d'Hiver outside the city, then transported to Auschwitz. Forty-five-year-old Julia Jarmond, American by birth, moved to Paris when she was 20 and is married to the arrogant, unfaithful Bertrand Tezac, with whom she has an 11-year-old daughter. Julia writes for an American magazine and her editor assigns her to cover the 60th anniversary of the Vel' d'Hiv' roundups. Julia soon learns that the apartment she and Bertrand plan to move into was acquired by Bertrand's family when its Jewish occupants were dispossessed and deported 60 years before. She resolves to find out what happened to the former occupants: Wladyslaw and Rywka Starzynski, parents of 10-year-old Sarah and four-year-old Michel. The more Julia discovers — especially about Sarah, the only member of the Starzynski family to survive — the more she uncovers about Bertrand's family, about France and, finally, herself. Already translated into 15 languages, the novel is De Rosnay's 10th (but her first written in English, her first language). It beautifully conveys Julia's conflicting loyalties, and makes Sarah's trials so riveting, her innocence so absorbing, that the book is hard to put down." Publishers Weekly (starred review)
added by nicole_a_davis | editPublisher's Weekly

This is without a doubt the best book I've ever read. I was actually reading it during finals today, and I reached the saddest part in the book and began to cry. This book touched me and made me think like no other book ever has.
added by tonystark444 | editDuluth News Tribune

Tatiana de Rosnayprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Eggermont, MoniqueTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pouwels, KittyTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vermeulen, JorisAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
My God! What is this country doing to me? Because it has rejected me, let us consider it coldly, let us watch it lose its honor and its life. --Irene Nemirovsky, "Suite Francaise" -1942
Tyger! Tyger! burning bright In the forests of the night, What immortal hand or eye Could frame they fearful symmetry? --William Blake, "Songs of Experience"
To Stella, my mother To my beautiful, rebellious Charlotte In memory of Natacha, my grandmother -1914-2005
The girl was the first to hear the loud pounding on the door. Her room was closest to the entrance of the apartment. At first, dazed with sleep, she thought it was her father, coming up from his hiding place in the cellar. He'd forgotten his keys, and was impatient because nobody had heard his first, timid knock. But then came the voices, strong and brutal in the silence of the night. Nothing to do with her father. "Police! Open up! Now!"
Listening to Joshua, I realized how little I knew about what happened in Paris in July 1942. I hadn't learned about it in class back in Boston. And since I had come to Paris twenty-five years ago, I had not read much about it. It was like a secret. Something buried in the past. Something no one mentioned.
There had been over four thousand Jewish children penned in the Vel' d'Hiv', aged between two and twelve. Most of the children were French, born in France.
None of them came back from Auschwitz.
On July 16 and 17, 1942, 13,152 Jews were arrested in Paris and the suburbs, deported and assassinated at Auschwitz. In the Velodrome d'Hiver that once stood on this spot, 1,129 men, 2,916 women, and 4,115 children were packed here in inhuman conditions by the government of the Vichy police, by order of the Nazi occupant. May those who tried to save them be thanked. Passerby, never forget!

Paris, July 1942: Sarah, a ten-year-old girl, is taken with her parents by the French police as they go door to door arresting Jewish families in the middle of the night. Desperate to protect her younger brother, Sarah locks him in a bedroom cupboard -- their secret hiding place -- and promises to come back for him as soon as they are released. Sixty Years Later: Sarah's story intertwines with that of Julia Jarmond, an American journalist investigating the roundup. In her research Julia stumbles onto a trail of family secrets that link her to Sarah, and to questions about her own future.

On the anniversary of the roundup of Jews by the French police in Paris, Julia is asked to write an article on this dark episode and embarks on an investigation that leads her to long-hidden family secrets and to the ordeal of Sarah.

Tatiana de Rosnay is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,917,506 books! | Top bar: Always visible