Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay

Sarah's Key (original 2007; edition 2008)

by Tatiana de Rosnay

Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay (2007)

Recently added byprivate library, kgthor, deehollandvogt, templecplibrary, heterocephalusglaber, nycke137, kikotomo, jhmbaker
  1. A Secret Kept by Tatiana de Rosnay (2009)
  2. Those who save us by Jenna Blum (2004)
  3. Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford (2009)
  4. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer (2007)
  5. The Help by Kathryn Stockett (2009)
  1. Suite Française by Irène Némirovsky (1900)
  2. Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese (2009)
  3. The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas by John Boyne (2006)
  4. The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom (2010)
  5. The Postmistress by Sarah Blake (2009)
    The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas by John Boyne (vvstokkom)
    vvstokkom: Ondanks dat het een zwaar onderwerp betreft, leest het net zo makkelijk weg.
    The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer (vulgarboatman)
    vulgarboatman: Similar themes surrounding a journalist discovering the layers of secrets about a mystery from WWII, along with an exploration of the effect of these events on the survivors, their families, and ultimately on the journalist herself.
    The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (vulgarboatman)
    Shadows of a Childhood by Elisabeth Gille (smcwl)
    smcwl: In this novel, written by Irene Nemirovsky's daughter, a young girl in Paris during the Occupation successfully hides during a police search, then stays hidden by a convent girls school during the war. Memorable images of the hotel set up as a post-war hospital and center for finding lost family members. Highly recommend.… (more)
    Suite Française by Irène Némirovsky (SqueakyChu)
    SqueakyChu: Both are novels that take place in Nazi-occupied France during WWII.
    Those who save us by Jenna Blum (dara85)
    dara85: This also deals with the Holocaust. The book revolves around secrets that covers two generations.
    The Virgin Blue by Tracy Chevalier (JGoto)
    JGoto: This book has the same format and setting, but is a much better novel. The past deals with the Huguenots in France rather than the persecution of Jews.
    The Sixth Lamentation by William Brodrick (cransell)
    cransell: This novel also deals with the Vichy period in France, the aftermath of events that had happened there, and family secrets. It's a great read, if you found that time period interesting.
    The Things We Cherished: A Novel by Pam Jenoff (dara85)
    Ik schrijf u vanuit het Vel d'Hiv by Karen Taieb (guurtjesboekenkast)
    guurtjesboekenkast: Ook Sarah werd naar het Vélodrome d'Hiver in Parijs gebracht voordat ze naar het concentratiekamp werd gedeporteerd. Tatiana de Rosnay heeft zelfs het voorwoord geschreven voor dit boek.
    Het meisje uit de trein by Irma Joubert (guurtjesboekenkast)
    guurtjesboekenkast: Dit boek gaat ook over de tijd van de Holocaust

English (450)  Dutch (50)  Spanish (6)  French (5)  Danish (1)  Norwegian (1)  German (1)  All languages (514)
A heartbreaking reminder of all the devastation WWII brought: how it destroyed whole communities and families, and how an apathetic French family can continue to hide their eyes from the truth and shelter in their hearts a terrible secret.

I read this book during a trip to Paris in 2011. As i walked those cobbled streets I thought of all the conquering, fighting, manipulating, and travesty those beautiful streets had (and do) witnessed--and the legacy that we Westerners are left with in the 21st century. The question I am left with, is forgetting the only way to move on? How much of an omission of guilt on behalf of our elders, our past, are we, the present, to live with? Can we possibly move on, or atone, for another generations' terrible acts? And of the sacrifices made--who benefits, and who utterly looses? ( )
  kbullfrog | Jun 17, 2014 |
This is a brilliantly and compelling portrait of occupied France during WW11. The plot follows the Starzinski family after the French police raided their apartment on July 16, 1942 and arrested ten year old Sarah and her parents during the Vel’d’Hiv Roundup. In a parallel plot Julia Jarmond, an American journalist is tasked to write an article to honour the 60th anniversary of this terrible day and the subsequent events that took place.

The story surrounds two time periods and alternates point of views throughout the book. The main story and action takes place in Paris and as the story progresses not only do we discover factual information but we also are on an emotional coaster ride.

Sarah’s story is told from the time of her arrest and intertwines with Julia’s quest to learn about the people that had been corralled at Vel’ d’Hiv during “Operation Spring Breeze”as it was known. Despite being 60 years apart they author excelled in drawing the two eras smoothly together. The roundup and deportation of some 11,000 French Jews to death camps is obviously a touchy subject and the author elegantly shines light by carefully detailing the facts about the true events.

Although a fiction, this is a worthwhile novel that approaches the Holocaust in a different way. In whole Sara’s story is a fast-read with tight and brisk chapters. The prose is fluid and strong and her story is engaging, informative and very emotional. She is a strong and adorable character. On the other hand those of Julia are light more chick-lit style and distract from the importance of the main story. I love Sarah’s part but Julia ruined my experience from the get-go. Her personal story was annoying, very predictable and quite cheesy. Her character is inconsistent and superficial IMO.

Having said this I nevertheless like this novel for its message and its frank look at a nation and people who for so long would not come to grip with its complicity in sending its own citizens to die in Nazi concentration camps.

I will definitely read more books by this author ( )
  Tigerpaw70 | Jun 15, 2014 |
I had the same problem with this book as I had with "The Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet." It's an important story to tell, but I wish it had been told better.

I am so very tired of the narrative device of flipping back and forth between two time periods. Here, there's something of a mystery about the connection between the little Jewish girl rounded up in Paris in 1942 and the 40-year-old woman redecorating her grandmother-in-law's apartment in Paris in 2002. But it's a mystery easily figured out. In fact, nearly everything that happens to the 2002 woman is pretty predictable.

The first half of the book flips between the two narratives too quickly, with very short chapters that compel you to read on. The story is completely engaging anyway. I found it to be a real page-turner and I was very eager to find out what was going to happen to Sarah.

Sarah, by the way, is the name of the little girl in 1942, which for some inexplicable reason the author waits to tell us for an awfully long time. It's the name of the book; we know she has a key; we know her name is Sarah.

There's something sort of forced about the description of the detention center. I didn't really feel like I was seeing it through Sarah's eyes, but rather the eyes of someone who had researched it and was now regurgitating the facts as reported.

The second half of the book is entirely through the eyes of the 2002 woman, Julia, as she finds out what happened to Sarah. The chapters are still artificially short, though. I don't really understand why the chapters end where they do, because the next chapter picks up exactly where it left off.

I'm happy to have learned about the Vel' d'Hiv roundup, but I wouldn't really recommend the book. ( )
  keneumey | Jun 4, 2014 |
Eh. Plot was an A, writing about a B-. It got better as the book went on (or maybe I was just better distracted by the plot?), but I generally found de Rosnay's writing style mildly irritating. There was one section of the book, in particular, in which the portions written in Julia's voice were so filled with sentences of exactly the same, short, choppy length that I thought I'd go insane. But it wasn't consistent enough to appear to be Julia's "voice." It was just distracting and odd. de Rosnay's also a fan of my least favorite literary device, the subjectless sentence. I don't mind it once in a while, but when every other period ought to be a comma, we have a problem.

Also, the convention of leaving "the girl" and her family nameless until nearly halfway through the book got in its own way after a point. Additionally, it ended at a strange spot. I understood why it might have made sense to leave her unnamed throughout the description of the vel' d'Hiv, so that she might have been any child, and her story might have been that of any of the nearly 10,000 who went through that horrific experience. But if that was the reasoning (and I can't imagine any other function), it would have made far more sense to be done with it and reveal her name once she and Rachel left, and Sarah's story became very much her own. Waiting until later than that was just overkill. ( )
  fefferbooks | May 12, 2014 |
Overall not a bad book at all.

Some editing issues (names changed spelling, dates didn't make sense in one place), but nothing dire, though it bespeaks of a level of sloppiness.

My main complaint is that although I enjoyed reading the book I never felt very connected to the characters, at best it was an intermittent and light connection. For a topic like the Holocaust I found this somewhat jarring.

The flow was uneven as well. In parts it felt rushed and choppy, particularly near the end, where it felt like the author was simply hurrying to meet a deadline, skipping over quite a bit ( )
  qaphsiel | May 11, 2014 |
"Tatiana de Rosnay offers a brilliantly subtle, compelling portrait of France under occupation and reveals the taboos and silence that surround the painful episode in that country's history. De Rosnay's U.S. debut fictionalizes the 1942 Paris roundups and deportations, in which thousands of Jewish families were arrested, held at the Velodrome d'Hiver outside the city, then transported to Auschwitz. Forty-five-year-old Julia Jarmond, American by birth, moved to Paris when she was 20 and is married to the arrogant, unfaithful Bertrand Tezac, with whom she has an 11-year-old daughter. Julia writes for an American magazine and her editor assigns her to cover the 60th anniversary of the Vel' d'Hiv' roundups. Julia soon learns that the apartment she and Bertrand plan to move into was acquired by Bertrand's family when its Jewish occupants were dispossessed and deported 60 years before. She resolves to find out what happened to the former occupants: Wladyslaw and Rywka Starzynski, parents of 10-year-old Sarah and four-year-old Michel. The more Julia discovers — especially about Sarah, the only member of the Starzynski family to survive — the more she uncovers about Bertrand's family, about France and, finally, herself. Already translated into 15 languages, the novel is De Rosnay's 10th (but her first written in English, her first language). It beautifully conveys Julia's conflicting loyalties, and makes Sarah's trials so riveting, her innocence so absorbing, that the book is hard to put down." Publishers Weekly (starred review)
added by nicole_a_davis | editPublisher's Weekly

This is without a doubt the best book I've ever read. I was actually reading it during finals today, and I reached the saddest part in the book and began to cry. This book touched me and made me think like no other book ever has.
added by tonystark444 | editDuluth News Tribune

Tatiana de Rosnayprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Eggermont, MoniqueTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pouwels, KittyTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Has the adaptation

My God! What is this country doing to me? Because it has rejected me, let us consider it coldly, let us watch it lose its honor and its life. --Irene Nemirovsky, "Suite Francaise" -1942
Tyger! Tyger! burning bright In the forests of the night, What immortal hand or eye Could frame they fearful symmetry? --William Blake, "Songs of Experience"
To Stella, my mother To my beautiful, rebellious Charlotte In memory of Natacha, my grandmother -1914-2005
The girl was the first to hear the loud pounding on the door. Her room was closest to the entrance of the apartment. At first, dazed with sleep, she thought it was her father, coming up from his hiding place in the cellar. He'd forgotten his keys, and was impatient because nobody had heard his first, timid knock. But then came the voices, strong and brutal in the silence of the night. Nothing to do with her father. "Police! Open up! Now!"
Listening to Joshua, I realized how little I knew about what happened in Paris in July 1942. I hadn't learned about it in class back in Boston. And since I had come to Paris twenty-five years ago, I had not read much about it. It was like a secret. Something buried in the past. Something no one mentioned.
There had been over four thousand Jewish children penned in the Vel' d'Hiv', aged between two and twelve. Most of the children were French, born in France.
None of them came back from Auschwitz.
On July 16 and 17, 1942, 13,152 Jews were arrested in Paris and the suburbs, deported and assassinated at Auschwitz. In the Velodrome d'Hiver that once stood on this spot, 1,129 men, 2,916 women, and 4,115 children were packed here in inhuman conditions by the government of the Vichy police, by order of the Nazi occupant. May those who tried to save them be thanked. Passerby, never forget!

Paris, July 1942: Sarah, a ten-year-old girl, is taken with her parents by the French police as they go door to door arresting Jewish families in the middle of the night. Desperate to protect her younger brother, Sarah locks him in a bedroom cupboard -- their secret hiding place -- and promises to come back for him as soon as they are released. Sixty Years Later: Sarah's story intertwines with that of Julia Jarmond, an American journalist investigating the roundup. In her research Julia stumbles onto a trail of family secrets that link her to Sarah, and to questions about her own future.

On the anniversary of the roundup of Jews by the French police in Paris, Julia is asked to write an article on this dark episode and embarks on an investigation that leads her to long-hidden family secrets and to the ordeal of Sarah.

Tatiana de Rosnay is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,627,393 books! | Top bar: Always visible