The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie: A Novel…

The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie: A Novel (P.S.) (original 1961; edition 2009)

by Muriel Spark

3,100841,828 ()390
Member:Fourpawz2
Title:The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie: A Novel (P.S.)
Authors:Muriel Spark
Info:Harper Perennial Modern Classics (2009), Paperback, 160 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Fiction, Classic, They Made A Movie From It, Schools, 20th century

The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie by Muriel Spark (1961)

English (82)  Dutch (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (84)
A deliciously wry coming of age novella ( )
  bodachliath | Feb 24, 2015 |
This is not necessarily one of my favorite books, but even so I think it's a -perfect- book, in the same way The Great Gatsby is a perfect book--everything is right about it, from setting to characters to story; and it all flows beautifully; and in the end you're changed by having read it. ( )
  poingu | Jan 29, 2015 |
kort underfundig berättelse om den väldigt speciella läraren Miss Jean Brodie! Gillade verkligen komcepten , men den var för avkortad, för ofullständig! SYnd intressanta karaktärer och story! Skulle broderat ut mysteriet mer om vilken flicka det var som förrådde lärarinnan! ( )
  Drusus | Jan 2, 2015 |
A story about an eccentric and progressive teacher in an Edinburgh girls’ school that have her special favorite pupils who become known as "the Brodie set” - Miss Brodie is an interesting character - and the premise of the story also interesting. How far can you go, should you go in molding students thinking? An exploration of the peculiar relationship between a strong willed mentor and young minds who still needs molding.

Miss Brodie’s unusual way of diverting from the curriculum puts her in conflict with the schools principal - and we know from the start that someone in the “Brodie set” will betray Brodie.

I had a hard time following this novel in the first part. Specially separating the different girls in the “Brodie-set”.

The novel starts very abrubtly and shifts back and forth in time. But by the end the novel focus on only two of the girls and you will know who betrays Brodie. Of course by that time her relationship with her favorite girls have become a dangerous manipulation game of sex and love affairs.

A very literate modern novel written in a very confusing way with quick and short flashbacks all the time. Some will love it - I didn’t. ( )
3 vote ctpress | Jun 21, 2014 |
This book was pretty cute. I will admit, Miss Brodie is a fairly unlikable main character. She's manipulative, repetitive(she repeats the phrase "in my prime" about a gazillion times, I think we get the point, LOL), a fairly open fascist, & she bucks the system in every way, shape, & form she can get away with, LOL. Throughout the book as well as her teaching career, she is ever on the verge of being fired. She may be unlikable, but she's never boring. Her girls are all very different as well. The narrator, being all knowing & all seeing, gives us flashes of what their futures may hold. Some good, some bad, like most of us.

All in all, I enjoyed this. This is the second of Dame Spark's books I've read, & I'm looking forward to reading more of her work... ( )
  Lisa.Johnson.James | Apr 11, 2014 |
She writes with cool exactness, a firm voice (each tale has its own) and compassionate wit. In her new novel (originally published last fall, in shorter form, in The New Yorker), she deals with a violent woman whose romantic spirit is impatient with all but the Absolute.

Muriel Sparkprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Blythe, GaryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Margolyes, MiriamNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McWilliam, CandiaIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whitlau, W.A.C.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The boys, as they talked to the girls from Marcia Blaine School, stood on the far side of their bicycles holding the handlebars, which established a protective fence of bicycle between the sexes, and the impression that at any moment, the boys were likely to be away.
'This is Stanley Baldwin who got in as Prime Minister and got out again ere long,' said Miss Brodie. 'Miss Mackay retains him on the wall because she believes in the slogan "Safety First". But Safety does not come first. Goodness, Trust and Beauty come first. Follow me.
"We shall discuss tomorrow night the persons who oppose me' said Miss Brodie. 'But rest assured they shall not succeed.''No,' said everyone. 'No, Of course they won't.''Not while I am in my prime. It is important to recognize the years of one's prime, always remember that,..'
"La Vera Miss Brodie" is not the same work as "The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie": it is an Italian article. The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie = Gli anni in fiore della signorina Brodie (or Gli anni fulgenti di miss Brodie)

The elegantly styled classic story of a young, unorthodox teacher and her special--and ultimately dangerous--relationship with six of her students.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:53:26 -0400)

A teacher at a girl's school in Edinburgh during the 1930s comes into conflict with school authorities because of her unorthodox teaching methods.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141181427, 0241956773

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,694,124 books! | Top bar: Always visible