The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie: A Novel…

The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie: A Novel (P.S.) (original 1961; edition 2009)

by Muriel Spark

Member:Fourpawz2
Title:The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie: A Novel (P.S.)
Authors:Muriel Spark
Info:Harper Perennial Modern Classics (2009), Paperback, 160 pages
Collections:Fiction, Your library
Rating:***
Tags:Fiction, Fiction - Classic, Literature, Classic - Scottish, They Made A Movie From It, Schools, 20th century

The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie by Muriel Spark (1961)

English (104)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  Norwegian (1)  French (1)  All languages (108)
You wouldn't think that a manipulative egomaniac fascist trying to mold ten-year-olds into her own likeness to achieve immortality in the face of losing her prime would be such a laugh riot, but there you go. ( )
1 vote xicohtli | Jul 20, 2016 |
This slim novel tells the story of Miss Jean Brodie, a teacher at an Edinburgh school, and the effect she has on a group of her students called The Brodie Set. As the book begins, Miss Brodie determines that she is in the prime of her life, and therefore best able to impart wisdom to her students. Only, the students spend much of their time learning through Miss Brodie's unconventional teaching style which often romanticizes fascism and other political leanings.

The narrative is also unconventional. The chronological storyline is broken every so often by proleptic fits and spurts, so that the reader gradually understands the fates and futures of characters as the story moves along. In this way, the reader/narrator functions as a timeless entity. From the very beginning, you know how the story will ultimately end, but it's in the winding roads to get there that the real beauty of this novel unfolds. ( )
  BooksForYears | Jun 26, 2016 |
A teacher trusts her students too much and gets stabbed in the back. ( )
  ShelleyAlberta | Jun 4, 2016 |
Audio book performed by Nadia May.

Miss Jean Brodie is a teacher at conservative girls’ school in 1930s Edinburgh, Scotland. The school has a prescribed curriculum, but Miss Brodie prefers to inspire her “Brodie set” – the handful of girls she has chosen as her crème de le crème – with stories of her trips abroad, posters and favorable remarks about Mussolini, comments about sex, and field trips to museums and gardens. She is, after all, “in her prime,” and she wants to instill in them passion, independence and ambition. The girls adore her and remain faithful followers even after they have progressed in school beyond the grade Miss Brodie teaches. And yet, one of them ultimately betrays her.

Spark moves from time frame to time frame, or from reality to imaginative fantasy, frequently without any transition. One moment we are reading a realistic scene in the 1930s, the next we are far in the future when Miss Brodie is in a nursing home. In the space between end of one sentence and the beginning of the next, the story moves from a real-life encounter between the girls and Miss Brodie to an imagined conversation one girl is having with a character in a book.

I recognized several people I know in Miss Brodie, including parts of myself. She is strong-willed and determined, intelligent and independent, and yet she is vulnerable because she wants so desperately to be loved and revered by “her girls.” There are times when I am simply appalled by her behavior and other times when I want to cheer her on. Miss Brodie cannot – or will not – see the realities of her relationships and situations.

I’ve had this on my tbr since the movie came out in 1969. I have to wonder what my reaction would have been had I read it back then, when I was still a teenager.

Nadia May does a fine job performing the audio version. She has good pacing and is able to differentiate the characters. My only difficulty in the audio version came with the abrupt changes in time frame or reality vs fantasy. Until I got used to Spark’s technique I kept thinking I had skipped or missed something important. ( )
1 vote BookConcierge | May 22, 2016 |
The Prime of Maggie-Smith-as-Miss Jean Brodie is what I really read. Having seen the movie first, it was impossible to disentangle the movie images from the book. The book felt surprisingly slight, but some delightful scenes nonetheless. ( )
  TheBookJunky | Apr 22, 2016 |
She writes with cool exactness, a firm voice (each tale has its own) and compassionate wit. In her new novel (originally published last fall, in shorter form, in The New Yorker), she deals with a violent woman whose romantic spirit is impatient with all but the Absolute.

Spark, Murielprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Periquito, MargaridaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rosen, Ingeborg vonTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Uhrynowska-Hanasz, ZofiaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whitlau, W.A.C.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The boys, as they talked to the girls from Marcia Blaine School, stood on the far side of their bicycles holding the handlebars, which established a protective fence of bicycle between the sexes, and the impression that at any moment, the boys were likely to be away.
'This is Stanley Baldwin who got in as Prime Minister and got out again ere long,' said Miss Brodie. 'Miss Mackay retains him on the wall because she believes in the slogan "Safety First". But Safety does not come first. Goodness, Trust and Beauty come first. Follow me.
"We shall discuss tomorrow night the persons who oppose me' said Miss Brodie. 'But rest assured they shall not succeed.''No,' said everyone. 'No, Of course they won't.''Not while I am in my prime. It is important to recognize the years of one's prime, always remember that,..'
"La Vera Miss Brodie" is not the same work as "The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie": it is an Italian article. The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie = Gli anni in fiore della signorina Brodie (or Gli anni fulgenti di miss Brodie)

The elegantly styled classic story of a young, unorthodox teacher and her special--and ultimately dangerous--relationship with six of her students.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:30 -0400)

A teacher at a girl's school in Edinburgh during the 1930s comes into conflict with school authorities because of her unorthodox teaching methods.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141181427, 0241956773

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,158,486 books! | Top bar: Always visible