The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie: A Novel…

The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie: A Novel (P.S.) (original 1961; edition 2009)

by Muriel Spark

Member:Fourpawz2
Title:The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie: A Novel (P.S.)
Authors:Muriel Spark
Info:Harper Perennial Modern Classics (2009), Paperback, 160 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Fiction, Classic, They Made A Movie From It, Schools, 20th century

The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie by Muriel Spark (1961)

English (80)  Dutch (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (82)
A story about an eccentric and progressive teacher in an Edinburgh girls’ school that have her special favorite pupils who become known as "the Brodie set” - Miss Brodie is an interesting character - and the premise of the story also interesting. How far can you go, should you go in molding students thinking? An exploration of the peculiar relationship between a strong willed mentor and young minds who still needs molding.

Miss Brodie’s unusual way of diverting from the curriculum puts her in conflict with the schools principal - and we know from the start that someone in the “Brodie set” will betray Brodie.

I had a hard time following this novel in the first part. Specially separating the different girls in the “Brodie-set”.

The novel starts very abrubtly and shifts back and forth in time. But by the end the novel focus on only two of the girls and you will know who betrays Brodie. Of course by that time her relationship with her favorite girls have become a dangerous manipulation game of sex and love affairs.

A very literate modern novel written in a very confusing way with quick and short flashbacks all the time. Some will love it - I didn’t. ( )
2 vote ctpress | Jun 21, 2014 |
Miss Jean Brodie a teacher with very unorthodox teaching methods. Taking a select set of promising young girls - referred to as the 'Brodie set,' she teaches much more than the approved core curriculum.

Suspicion arises over Brodie's method and the headmistress is on a mission for the rogue educators job. Various rumors circulate with the hopes of their validity resulting in the dismissal of Brodie.

Brodie is betrayed, culprit remaining unknown to her only leading her to ponder. Years later the 'Brodie set' contemplates who the party was that betrayed the woman that influenced their lives so greatly.

This story is about betrayal, fitting in, adultery and manipulation, so much more within the mere 150 pages but its content is deep. This is a novel by far under appreciated and easily dismissed. This book is to serve as a reminder of the power of manipulation and influence one has over others, causing serious damage or advantage.

Great gateway into other Spark writings, a novel worth reading and appreciating.

Melinda_H | Apr 22, 2014 |
This book was pretty cute. I will admit, Miss Brodie is a fairly unlikable main character. She's manipulative, repetitive(she repeats the phrase "in my prime" about a gazillion times, I think we get the point, LOL), a fairly open fascist, & she bucks the system in every way, shape, & form she can get away with, LOL. Throughout the book as well as her teaching career, she is ever on the verge of being fired. She may be unlikable, but she's never boring. Her girls are all very different as well. The narrator, being all knowing & all seeing, gives us flashes of what their futures may hold. Some good, some bad, like most of us.

All in all, I enjoyed this. This is the second of Dame Spark's books I've read, & I'm looking forward to reading more of her work... ( )
  Lisa.Johnson.James | Apr 11, 2014 |
Re-read. For me, this has lost none of its charm in the decades since I first read it. I would love to see again the film adaptation with Maggie Smith in the lead role - at the time I thought it even better than the book. ( )
  janglen | Apr 7, 2014 |
Miss Jean Brodie is a teacher at a girl's school in Scotland in the 1930s. She thinks very highly of herself, regardless of what others think of her. She's in her prime, and she thinks her students are very fortunate to have her as their teacher while she's in her prime. She has little respect for authority. Miss Brodie hand-picks a half dozen girls who become known as the “Brodie set” - girls who she believes will yield to her influence and, more importantly, whose parents won't interfere with her methods. Even after the “Brodie set” moves on to the upper level with different teachers, Miss Brodie continues to maintain control over their lives. However, her control isn't as strong as she believes it is...

The audio version narrated by the delightful Nadia May possibly weakened the psychological tension for me. I think I would have been more appalled by Miss Brodie's manipulation of impressionable young girls if I had read the book rather than listened to it. I was fascinated by Spark's method of telling her story, which isn't exactly linear. She foreshadows the fate of most of the major characters, but she does it in such a way that the reader (or listener in my case) is compelled to keep reading/listening to learn not what will happen, but rather what will cause it to happen. This short novel is worthy of more than one reading. I'd suggest trying the audio version on the second or third visit to pick up nuances you might have missed in your first reading. ( )
1 vote cbl_tn | Mar 27, 2014 |
She writes with cool exactness, a firm voice (each tale has its own) and compassionate wit. In her new novel (originally published last fall, in shorter form, in The New Yorker), she deals with a violent woman whose romantic spirit is impatient with all but the Absolute.

Muriel Sparkprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Blythe, GaryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Margolyes, MiriamNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McWilliam, CandiaIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whitlau, W.A.C.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The boys, as they talked to the girls from Marcia Blaine School, stood on the far side of their bicycles holding the handlebars, which established a protective fence of bicycle between the sexes, and the impression that at any moment, the boys were likely to be away.
'This is Stanley Baldwin who got in as Prime Minister and got out again ere long,' said Miss Brodie. 'Miss Mackay retains him on the wall because she believes in the slogan "Safety First". But Safety does not come first. Goodness, Trust and Beauty come first. Follow me.
"We shall discuss tomorrow night the persons who oppose me' said Miss Brodie. 'But rest assured they shall not succeed.''No,' said everyone. 'No, Of course they won't.''Not while I am in my prime. It is important to recognize the years of one's prime, always remember that,..'
"La Vera Miss Brodie" is not the same work as "The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie": it is an Italian article. The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie = Gli anni in fiore della signorina Brodie (or Gli anni fulgenti di miss Brodie)

The elegantly styled classic story of a young, unorthodox teacher and her special--and ultimately dangerous--relationship with six of her students.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:53:26 -0400)

A teacher at a girl's school in Edinburgh during the 1930s comes into conflict with school authorities because of her unorthodox teaching methods.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Two editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141181427, 0241956773

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,649,521 books! | Top bar: Always visible