The Last Summer (of You and Me) by Ann…

The Last Summer (of You and Me) (edition 2007)

by Ann Brashares

Member:PaperbackPirate
Title:The Last Summer (of You and Me)
Authors:Ann Brashares
Info:Riverhead Hardcover (2007), Hardcover, 320 pages
Collections:Your library, To read

The Last Summer (of You & Me) by Ann Brashares

English (58)  Dutch (1)  All languages (59)
3.25 stars

Riley and Alice are sisters, and friends with Paul, who they know from their beach house where they all grew up over the summers. They are now all in their early 20s when Paul and Alice discover their attraction to each other, but feel guilty "sneaking" behind Riley's back.

It was o.k. It was pretty slow moving and the book alternated between all three characters' points of view. I was listening to the audio, so if my mind drifted, I would often lose track of who was narrating at any particular point in time. Unfortunately, I inadvertently saw a spoiler, so that may have affected my reaction to the book, as well. I did like the narrator, but overall, it was kind of slow for me. ( )
  LibraryCin | Nov 11, 2013 |
I believe this is my first full-on romance novel. It's a love story from beginning to end, something I honestly wouldn't have picked if it weren't for the author. I was hoping this would be a story I could get behind because Ann Brashares's Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants is a wonderful series of books that's wonderfully written and I longed for that style of writing to pull me back again. Well, it did, much to my surprise.
I suppose it is an adult novel but really it's Ann Brashares and she's excellent at writing one thing - you should expect the main theme to be childhood and growing up, yearning for it and resenting it. The characters are in their early twenties but throughout I felt I was reading about teenagers. The plot takes its time, it's straightforward the way The Sisterhood was but really it's whimsical and special and sad and lovely. The writing is not for everyone, it's a contemplative novel with more thoughts than actions. I fell for all the characters straight away and the setting - a remote island - was very much alive to me.
However much I enjoyed this rather peculiar book, I can't give it five stars because childhood is not something I look back to with longing (not unlike Riley in the book) and therefore couldn't always understand why it was such a pull for both Brashares and her characters. I enjoyed it as a novel about the passing of time and the way life changes you in unexpected ways. I hope there'll be a sequel for some reason because you do want to do what happened to those people once they finally accepted that they were adults (which really is what the novel is about). ( )
  RubyScarlett | Nov 11, 2013 |
Great story of love and friendship. A little frustrating at times...but that's life! ( )
  melissarochelle | Apr 13, 2013 |
The emotions in this book felt real, even though I think the story line was predictable and far too drawn out... Paul and Alice felt like real people as they explored their roles in each other's lives... but there was no way, at least in my mind, that they were college aged. Senior year at high school at best. ( )
  therealkat | Jan 29, 2013 |
Ann Brashares is the author of The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants. The Last Summer (of You and Me) follows the lives of sisters Alice and Riley, and their childhood friend Paul throughout their summer on Fire Island. The book captures an intriguing view of love and loss between the three, and how they overcome the struggles.
Compared to the many other books I’ve read, this one is not at the top of my list. It didn’t help that it was plastered all over the book that Ann Brashares is the author of The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants. It made me have high expectations for the book, and set me up for a letdown. It took me half the book before I started to get into it and not be able to put it down. The author spends too much time introducing the characters, and it was a drag and uninteresting to read. However, once you get past the first half of the book, it gets hard to put down.

I would give this book 3 out of 5 stars. Mainly because of how long it took me to get into the book. Once I finally got into it, I easily forgot how bored I was at the beginning. I would recommend this book for anyone who likes a love story. This isn’t the typical love story where the couple takes the entire book to fall in love. It’s different, but it is still a good one.

Jennifer W.
  FolkeB | Jan 21, 2013 |
No one ever gets over the first unfairness; no one except Peter. He often met it, but he always forgot it. I suppose that was the real difference between him and all the rest. - J.M. Barrie
For my dad with love
Alice waited for Paul on the ferry dock.

Gracie Martin, a New Yorker with a talent for finding missing objects, considers changing her vocation before discovering a lost backpack and embarking on a quest for its owner.

Ann Brashares is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Author Chat

Ann Brashares chatted with LibraryThing members from Jun 6, 2011 to Jun 10, 2011. Read the chat.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,673,056 books! | Top bar: Always visible