For Love of Mother-Not by Alan Dean Foster

English (6)  Italian (1)  All languages (7)
This is a re-read, I read it before and when I saw it as an e-book I bought it so I could re-read it. Half way through I remembered that it is the first in a series, so the story is finished, but not really. Some things are not explained so you know there is more. This is science-fiction so you do have to suspend believability at points, but what I liked is the non-earthly details meshed, they were all consistent. Like the author had created a blueprint for his 'world' and stuck to it. It had a good plot, the main plot was easy to follow, the subplots not so much but added interesting details. There was action and character development in the right amounts for the plot. ( )
  BellaFoxx | Nov 27, 2009 |
I had read the first four books in this series years (decades!) ago and had a memory of liking them. Recently, stuck without a book, I picked up a copy of Trouble Magnet to read. I was astonished how little I liked it. The prose was extremely awkward and the plot fairly predictable and cliché-ridden.

Had the author's writing changed that much? Or, had I just misremembered?

I went back and re-read this one and the first part of The Tar-Aiym Krang and the answer was the second choice. I guess the concept of a telepathic, poisonous, flying pet dragon was just so cool many decades ago that I overlooked the poor writing. What might have gotten 3 or even 3½ stars if rated purely from memory only gets a disappointed 1½. ( )
  TadAD | Jun 22, 2008 |
The prelude to the thranx books,treveals how Flinx came about. ( )
  sf_addict | Apr 13, 2008 |
For Love of Mother-Not by Alan Dean Foster is the story of a young boy with mysterious background and talent. Flinx is "adopted" for a fee from what is essentially a government run slave auction. His Mother-Not, Mother Mastiff, isn't quite sure why she chose him - she wasn't even looking for a slave or companion. Flinx can sometimes read the emotions of people around him. Can he also influence them?

Two sets of people are looking for Flinx: the group that genetically engineered him as part of an experiment on furthering humanity and the Moral Enforcers who want to stop the experiments. Interesting conflict comes when it appears that the experimenters, who have kidnapped Mother Mastiff in order to use her to influence Flinx, are shown to have cared deeply for Flinx and had provided him with a loving childhood until their organization was disrupted by the law enforcers. At one point Flinx sees the law enforcers coming as rescuers only to be battered by the hate and revulsion that they feel for him. And, to make it even more confusing, the renegade group no longer seems to see Flinx as a person but as validation that their techniques can work for good; Flinx's life is soon secondary to proving their point.

I'd like to read the other Flinx books to see where Alan Dean Foster goes with the story. FLinx and Mother Mastiff are engaging characters.
  sara_k | Oct 5, 2007 |
A prequel to THE TAR-AIYM KRANG. Notable for the "Flinx meets Pip" scenes and for the "Flinx flips out" scene at the end where he zaps a bunch of bad guys. ( )
  wfzimmerman | May 2, 2007 |

Alan Dean Fosterprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rudnicki, StefanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Whelan,MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Michael and Audrey and Alexa Whelan; good neighbors...
"Now there's a scrawny, worthless-looking little runt," Mother Mastiff thought.

A MISSING PERSON ...

"Mother Mastiff, open up, it's me, Flinx!" No reply from the other side.

Pip danced on his shoulder; the flying snake was half airborne and half coiled tight to its master. Flinx moved a dozen steps away from the door, then charged it. The door gave.

Inside, the stall looked undisturbed. Flinx tried thr inner door. IN contrast to thr order behind him, the living room was a shambles.

The destruction was worst in Mother Mastiff's room. The bed looked as if it had been the scene of an attempted murder. Across the bed, hidden from casual view, a small curved door blended neatly into the wall paneling. when it was shut, few visitors would be sharp-eyed enough to notice it.

It stood ajar ....

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345346890, Mass Market Paperback)

He was just a freckle-faced, redheaded kid with green eyes and a strangely campelling stare when Mather Mastiff first saw him an the auctioneer's block. One hundred credits and he was hers.

For years the old woman was his only family. She loved him, fed him, taught him everything she knew -- even let him keep the deadly flying snake he called Pip.

Then Mother Mastiff mysteriously disappeared and Flinx took Pip to tail her kidnappers. Across the forests and swamps of the winged world called Moth, their only weapons were Pip's venom . . . and Flinx's unusual Talents.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:01:34 -0400)

Flinx was just a freckle-faced, red-headed kid with green eyes and a strangely compelling stare when Mother Mastiff first saw him on the auctioneer's block. One hundred credits, and he was hers. For years the old woman was his only family. She loved him, fed him, taught him everything she knew, even let him keep the deadly flying dragon he called Pip. But when Mother Mastiff mysteriously disappears, Flinx tails her kidnappers on a dangerous journey.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,329,907 books! | Top bar: Always visible