Isabel's Bed by Elinor Lipman

Isabel's Bed (edition 1998)

by Elinor Lipman

Member:SqueakyChu
Title:Isabel's Bed
Authors:Elinor Lipman
Info:Washington Square Press (1998), Paperback, 400 pages
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:humor

Isabel's Bed by Elinor Lipman

Interesting read. Harriet has been working on her novel - and now her boyfriend of 12 years has broken up with her AND tossed her out of their apartment. She replies to an ad for a ghostwriter and the fun begins.
  wareagle78 | Apr 3, 2014 |
In this book Isabel, was in the wrong place at the wrong time and has decided to write a book about it. Not knowing the first thing about writing she hires a ghost writer. The lives of all of the charterers intertwine in a weird set of events that lead everyone to find themselves a different place in their lives then where they started out. If you are the kind of person who reads the first ten pages of a book to see if they will like it or not then this book is defiantly not for you. The first chapter or two of this book are very boring and poorly written but like in the book itself the author finds their grove and it is well worth the read. I love the interaction between the characters and the personal growth that they all go through. I would recommend this book if you like, Chick Lit, romance or a bit of fun read when you have nothing better to do. I found this book in the trash. ( )
  sallyawolf | Feb 25, 2013 |
I do like Elinor Lipman. She's one of those writers who is on the borderline between chicklit and lit -- the key is not to care and just enjoy it. This is about Harriet, a timid would-be writer who has been dumped by her boyfriend of twelve years. She takes a job as a ghostwriter to ebullient Isabel, famous for being in bed with her lover when he was shot by his wife. ( )
  annesadleir | Nov 5, 2011 |
  sallyawolf | Jun 10, 2011 |
A delight! My favorite of all her books - and she is one of my favorite authors! ( )
  coolmama | Jan 26, 2010 |
How much better it seems now/than when it is finally written. --Dana Gioia, "The Next Poem"
This book is dedicated to my first editor, Stacy Schiff--enduring reader and remarkable friend.
Winter before last, a tea-leaf reader at a psychic fair looked into my cup and said she saw me living in a house with many beds and a big-mouth blonde.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0671015648, Paperback)

Isabel's Bed gives us the intricate and deft plot, crisp dialogue and unexpected twists and turns we have come to expect in the comic novels of Elinor Lipman. Here we meet Harriet Mahoney, a would-be writer recently jilted by her bagel-vending boyfriend. Harriet is at loose ends until she agrees to ghostwrite a chesty blonde's version of her tabloid past. Isabel Krug is the woman with the past; Harriet sees in her story the literary future that has eluded her. In the course of this partnership, unexpected alliances are formed, and fulfillment is found where no one thought to search.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:38:30 -0400)

A budding writer, Harriet Mahoney, is hired by a socialite to ghost write her biography. The socialite, Isabel Krug, was in bed with her lover when his wife appeared, gun in hand. Now Isabel wants the world to know her side of the story. Harriet moves into Isabel's huge mansion and the novel chronicles their amusing relationship. By the author of The Way Men Act.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,610,933 books! | Top bar: Always visible