A contract with God and other tenement…

A contract with God and other tenement stories (edition 1985)

by Will Eisner

Member:andersoncrook
Title:A contract with God and other tenement stories
Authors:Will Eisner
Info:Princeton, Wis. : Kitchen Sink Press, c1985.
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned

A Contract with God and Other Tenement Stories by Will Eisner (Author)

English (27)  Catalan (1)  All languages (28)
Well, that was extraordinarily tense and unexpected. I've tried to The Spirit before, but never took much of a liking to it; due to that, I was hesitant about picking up A Contract With God. A friend recommended it to me, though, so I felt a bit bound to go through with giving it a try. I'm actually rather happy that I did.

While comics like Maus take a view of the Holocaust and bring it home in the graphic form, A Contract With God did wonders with the dirty 30s tenement lifestyle. The art was free flowing, the use of panels slim to none. Unlike most comics, this one let the eye flow nicely over the page so it was almost like a film unfolding before you.

The subject matter was gritty, the dialogue colloquial and a bit harsh. All the same, it came together to create a chilling and fairly accurate view of life in that time frame. Eisner said in the introduction that it is only fiction due to the changing of names and faces. In all honesty? It comes out feeling just that way. I would quiet like to find the other two books in this trilogy. ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
Graphic novel
  stevholt | Nov 19, 2017 |
  nerdythor | May 30, 2017 |
I did research A Contract With God before I read it and understand its iconic place in the genre. I didn't like the drawings at all, although I could tell there was a lot of detail in them. And I didn't find the stories all that good either. Perhaps they were dated, but the entire experience of reading my first graphic novel disappointed me. It just didn't meet my expectations. ( )
  Zumbanista | Feb 22, 2016 |

The first graphic novel, and one of the best. A look at life in tenement housing in New York in the 30s, the characters are all too real. ( )
  LJMax | Aug 21, 2015 |

Eisner, WillAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
O'Neil, DennyIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
At 55 Dropsie Avenue, the Bronx, new York--not far from the elevated station--stood the tenement.
The Contract with God Trilogy is a different book from A Contract with God and Other Tenement Stories. Please, don't combine them.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 039332804X, Paperback)

It's fair to say that Will Eisner invented modern comic art. A Contract with God has been called the first graphic novel, and its divergence from traditional comics themes and forms highlights Eisner's foresight and brilliance. Dealing with stories and memories from his childhood in a Bronx tenement, he explores the brutality, fragility, and tenderness possible among people living in close quarters close to the poverty line. The four stories here are tough but funny, deep but finely detailed, much like the traditional Jewish stories he drew upon to flavor his own work. Ending reflectively (and perhaps autobiographically), A Contract with God shows us a young man peering out into his city as he decides whether and how to face adulthood. You won't see that in the funny papers. --Rob Lightner

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:01 -0400)

Presents a republication of the graphic novel first published in 1978 that depicts the lives and dreams of a group of people living in a Bronx tenement.

W.W. Norton

An edition of this book was published by W.W. Norton.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,578,349 books! | Top bar: Always visible