Archangel Protocol by Lyda Morehouse

Archangel Protocol (edition 2001)

by Lyda Morehouse (Author)

Member:slothman
Title:Archangel Protocol
Authors:Lyda Morehouse (Author)
Info:Roc (2001), Paperback
Collections:Your library, Virtual, Speculative Fiction
Rating:***
Tags:science fiction, cyberpunk, artificial intelligence, ebook

Archangel Protocol by Lyda Morehouse

This is the first book in a series that currently contains 4 books. The books are set in a sort of post apocalyptic United States of America, where everyone has the LINK and America is now a theocracy.

In this book Deidre is an ex-cop who has been excommunicated from her religion because of a crime her cop partner committed. Since government and religion go hand in hand, when she is excommunicated from her religion she has her LINK deactivated and is thrust out of standard human society. The LINK provides access to everything; money, jobs, etc. As someone who is un-LINKed she is forced to eke out a living as an investigator to other unLinked individuals. Another cop Michael saunters into her office and asks her to help show that the miraculous LINK-angles are not actual miracles but a hoax; despite the risk Deidre, is tempted to take the case since Michael offers the one thing for payment that Deidre would give anything to have, he offers to reactivate her LINK. Deidre gets much more than she bargained for.

This book is an interesting blend of post-apocalyptic sci-fi, cyber punk, and paranormal genres. Unforunately for me, although it was an interesting blend, it fell short of fulfilling any of those genres. The world that Morehouse creates, is semi-believable, but feels somewhat contrived. As a more personal paranormal novel; the main character falls short of being believable and comes off as a bit stiff.

I will admit the novel has an interesting premise; although towards the end the mixture of religion and cyber-punk got a bit strange and forced. Also the idea of "the leader of the freeworld" falling into a theocracy is eerily believable and creepy. For the most part this idea of religion taking over everyone's live and religion stunting free-will (woman must where regulation length dresses, birth control is a huge no-no, etc.) makes for an uncomfortable and distrubing read. Sadly though this is a sci-fi topic that has been overdone and has been seen in numerous plots before.

Although I did like the warmer more personal approach to sci-fi that this author took, I still struggled through this book. The book never really grabbed me and pulled me forward; I had to push through it. I would find myself rereading paragraphs just because I lost interest in what I was reading.

Despite all the above cons I have to applaud the author for trying to create a new niche in the sci-fi genre. The world created is also very creative. The main heroine is pretty believable. I own the next two books in the series, so I will probably read them. I hope, though, that they are better than this book. I do think this could turn out to be a great series. Sometimes the initial book has to spend too much time explaining a new world, so maybe that is part of what made this book a bit boring for me. ( )
  krau0098 | Feb 3, 2010 |
After the dropping of the next big bomb called "Medusa" the world and its politics made a major change. Now all government is religiously affiliated and if you don't have a religion, you're breaking the law. Added in to the mix is the new world order of the LINK. More than the internet, it is a cyberworld that can suck you in and make you a cyberjunkie. A world, which has for many, taken over reality and become a religious experience itself, complete with cybernetic angels and a Second Coming Messiah.

Deidre is a former cop turned professional investigator after her partner went haywire and killed the Pope, leading her to be excommunicated. No longer part of the LINK Deidre is considered to be a subversive Jezebel, when all she really wants is to go back to her life as it was. When Officer Michael Angelucci shows up at her office and offers her the chance to not only get back on the LINK but to expose the hoax being perpetrated on mankind through it, she is understandably suspicious. What he is proposing goes against everything she has believed in and holds a death sentence if they are caught.

This story is a bit of an amalgamation of worst case scenarios. What if another bomb with the destructive force and lasting consequences of the nuclear bomb was dropped? What would happen if we become exceedingly dependent on technology? What would happen if the internet takes over everyday lives? What would happen if religion takes over the politics of the world? It is an interesting speculative piece in that respect. The action part of the story is the pretty standard sci-fi running around dodging laser blasts and driving futuristic vehicles. I did have a little trouble with suspension of disbelief of the cyberworld created but then again I'm not a techie and am not really sure what really can and can't be done. I really enjoyed Michael and thought that the author, in rather short fixes, created some interesting facets to his personality. He was not at all the traditional romantic hero with all the answers and seemed much more realistic for it. I also liked Page, the AI mouse with a heart of gold. Unfortunately I didn't like the main character of Deidre quite as much. I found her a bit abrasive and closed minded.

I'm pretty sure that anyone who doesn't have an open mind about hot button topics such as politics and religion might find the book a bit offensive. I thought it was a unique, rather enjoyable story although cluttered in parts which made the reading somewhat slow-going. I would recommend it to lovers of sci-fi who can stand alternative viewpoints to some sensitive issues. ( )
2 vote Jenson_AKA_DL | Feb 9, 2009 |
Despite the fictional status, it's very thought provoking. The world designed by Lyda Morehouse is intricate and intriquing. A good read for anyone who likes sci fi and religion all mixed together. ( )
  scistarz | Nov 13, 2007 |
religion, politics, gender, cyber-future, social strata, the nature of reality, the unity of all religion, the messiah, and a romance. Somehow, all seemed superficial and poorly done (except the cyber stuff. And especially the gender stuff. And did the religion somewhat OK, which only made the mistelling of satan more irritating).

I'm not at all sure why this gets the rave reviews it gets. But while saying that, I have to admit I had difficulty putting it down. Is there a word for that? Books you don't really enjoy but are drawn into anyway? ( )
3 vote rudyleon | Sep 9, 2007 |
To Shawn Rounds, it is as much her book as it is mine

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451458273, Mass Market Paperback)

First the LINK-an interactive, implanted computer-transformed society. Then came the angels-cybernetic manifestations that claimed to be working God's will...

But former cop Deidre McMannus has had her LINK implant removed-for a crime she didn't commit. And she has never believed in the angels.

All that will change when a man named Michael appears at her door.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:00:04 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,328,778 books! | Top bar: Always visible