B.P.R.D. Volume 2: The Soul of Venice &…

B.P.R.D. Volume 2: The Soul of Venice & Other Stories (v. 2) (edition 2009)

by Mike Mignola, Michael Avon Oeming, Guy Davis

Member:DuneSherban
Title:B.P.R.D. Volume 2: The Soul of Venice & Other Stories (v. 2)
Authors:Mike Mignola
Other authors:Michael Avon Oeming, Guy Davis
Info:Dark Horse (2009), Paperback, 128 pages
Tags:Comics

B.P.R.D., Vol. 02: The Soul of Venice & Other Stories by Mike Mignola

English (5)  Czech (1)  All languages (6)
Nice stories ... tho' Hell Boy's absence does detract!
Miss his style! ( )
  GeetuM | Jun 3, 2016 |
I really liked the title story in this collection, the Soul of Venice. The other stories were good, more of the same kind of one off adventures that result from back ups and one-shots. ( )
  JonathanCrites | Aug 25, 2014 |
Art OK, stories took a turn for the silly. ( )
  eenerd | Jul 30, 2014 |
Here we have a collection of stories of the BPRD originally presented as single issues, along with one tale written specifically for this collection.

What I like about this team is the way they approach their work. They have a very jobber attitude, meaning they know what they have to do and do it. They get this from Hellboy, even though he's no longer with the team.

Soul of Venice, Night Train, and Something Under My Bed are my favorites in this collection (though they're all good). The last two in particular, because both focus on a member of the team and some aspect of themselves they do not like, but are forced to overcome for the sake of the job. That's what makes this team work so well, their ability to get the job done regardless of the circumstances.

An excellent collection of tales. ( )
  regularguy5mb | Jun 20, 2013 |
This is the second BPRD (Bureau for Paranormal Research and Defense) trade paperback set in the Hellboy universe. It collects stories from the following one-shot issues of BPRD: The Soul of Venice; Dark Waters; Night Train; and There’s Something under My Bed, as well as the story Another Day at the Office that premiered in this collected edition.

I’ll provide some short -- and spoiler-filled -- discussions of each story in this collection.

The Soul of Venice: This one pits the entire team (Abe, Liz, Johann, and Roger) against a demon-summoning vampire in Venice, who has captured the spirit of an old Etruscan goddess as a demonic offering. The set-up for the story is pretty weak, but once the team starts dealing with the bad guy, things fall into place. Good story, though not the greatest.

Dark Waters: Abe and Roger head to a small town in New England where three women were drowned as witches in the seventeenth century. They were innocent, and the town realized that after their death, but their collective guilt has animated a bunch of mud in the local pond. Plus there’s an evil fire-and-brimstone preacher. It’s stories like these that make me wonder how the public came to be so nonchalant about mutants, weirdos, freaks, and demons wandering around. It’s clear that the BPRD operates very openly, receiving both government funding and positive press attention, and no one ever blinks twice when they see critters like Hellboy or Abe in public. How did this come about? As far as I know, that’s never been revealed, we just accept it as a trope of the setting. That’s fine, it’[s just one of those things that always sticks out to me.

Night Train: This one is half a Lobster Johnson adventure (we see the Lobster failing and the demise of his sidekick, so I found it reminiscent of the Captain America story where Bucky was killed by the Red Skull) and half Liz and Roger, who end up having to clean up the Lobster’s mess seventy years later. Yes, there’s an aged Nazi in this one. Good stuff.

There’s Something under My Bed: The art and premise -- a small town where there really *are* monsters living under children’s beds -- are both good, but the story is hampered by some really muddled dialogue and panel layout choices in the first half of the story. There were a couple pages where I really wasn’t sure exactly what was going on. And honestly, other than Abe, the other members of the team are just along for the ride.

Another Day at the Office: A zombie story set in Moldavia where some guy is possessed by the spirit of an old nationalist warlord and, um, raises a bunch of zombies from the dead? Weak story line. Abe and Johann waltz through this one looking really bored; the zombies aren’t scary and the possessed guy just looks silly. Probably the weakest one of the lot, and it’s a Mignola story too. Disappointing.

If you enjoyed the first BPRD collection, I’d definitely recommend this one. The stories are equally engaging. They are also all stand-alone stories, so as long as you’re somewhat familiar with the Hellboy setting, it shouldn’t be a problem plunging right into this collection.

Review copyright 2009 J. Andrew Byers ( )
  bibliorex | Nov 15, 2009 |

Mike Mignola ... teams with an all-star roster of comics writers and artists for these bizarre investigations into haunted trains, Nazi war criminals, the vengeful spirits of drowned witches, and an imprisoned sewer goddess.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,534,567 books! | Top bar: Always visible