Dragonhaven by Robin McKinley

Dragonhaven (original 2007; edition 2007)

by Robin McKinley

Member:jjmcgaffey
Title:Dragonhaven
Authors:Robin McKinley
Info:Penguin Publishing Group
Collections:ebooks, Working on
Tags:Fic, SF, !Po, __make_cover, _import190509

Dragonhaven by Robin McKinley (2007)

Woaw! I had no clue what I was going to find when I opened this book. I knew I would probably like it based off the dust cover - dragons, duh, but this book was so much more than that. I really loved the way this played out. The ending was maybe my least favorite part, but that's in the scope of really liking the whole. This is not a traditional book in the sense that it is not written like many other books. It's written like a fourteen year old boy would maybe write a book, which is exactly what was supposed to have happened, fictionally. It's a jumbled way to tell a story but it is so right here. Seems a lot of people didn't like that. It was too disorganized for them. I found it added to the story. And I suppose what I loved the most about this book was Jake playing mom. It just gave me all these warm fuzzy feelings. Great, great book. Maybe not for everyone. Defiantly for me. I've already bought a copy for my personal shelves. ;) ( )
  Kassilem | Aug 31, 2018 |
The story in this book is fantastic, but I feel I should warn you: this is not written in Robin McKinley's usual style. It is written in the style of a teenage boy who would really rather be doing something other than writing. I think it's brilliant because one of the major themes of the book is the struggle to communicate, but you might not like it as much as I did. The plot entirely makes up for it, in my opinion! ( )
  R.E.Stearns | Aug 15, 2017 |
I respect what McKinley was trying to do here—I'm sure every author wants to try something completely new every now and again—but my goodness, this book was a slog. I kept expecting the writing style to get less painful and less difficult to read, either as the protagonist (described as an avid reader, though that never showed in his "writing"...) aged, or as I kept reading and just got used to it. But it never did. ( )
  bibliovermis | Sep 5, 2016 |
Jake Mendoza finally got his wish, to be able to spend time by himself out where the dragons live. You see he lives at Makepeace Institute of Integrated Dragon Studies in Smokehill National Park, home to maybe 200 dragons.

He heads out with one of the rangers who leaves him at the farthest camp. There Jake stumbles on a dying dragon who has given birth to dragonlets. And next to her is the human that killed her. As the dragon dies, she stares at Jake and seems to transfer something to his brain. He finds one baby still alive and takes it. He's always wanted to take care of an orphan animal and here's his chance, even though it's a dragon. He names it Lois.

This is his story from the time he found Lois at age 14 to the age 0f 23. How he takes care of Lois, keeps her a secret and what happens when people find out. There are those that want to destroy the dragons because of the mother dragon that killed the man. And others that want to protect them. This is Jake's and Lois' story as well as his dad, friends and the rest of the dragons of Smokehill. Read on and find out--you'll laugh, cry, and be astonished how the story unfolds.

Robin McKinley has written this like a journal so you become one with Jake and take on his feelings of raising a baby dragon like a mother would. And then there are the unexplained headaches.... For anyone that likes dragons, this is the perfect story. ( )
  Cricket2014 | Jan 22, 2016 |
I think the epilogue killed this book for me. I liked it and found it just fine until we got to the epilogue. Not even the whole epilogue; just the five years later part. I felt like in five years the writing style should have been a little bit more grown up and less like it was written by a frenetic teenager. Other than that I actually really liked it. ( )
  Rosa.Mill | Nov 21, 2015 |

Robin McKinleyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hovnatanian, PamelinaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
White, CraigCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Holly, Hazel, and Rowan
I keep having these conversations with Dad. I'm at my computer. He says, "What are you doing?" I mutter something, because the screen has a lot of squiggles on it, so he already knows what I'm doing.
The usual sorts of field surveys just don't work with dragons. Uh-huh, you say, thirty to eighty feet long (plus tail), flies, breathes fire, and you can't find them to count? Yup. That's right. You can't. After Old Pete opened the cages, they didn't just wander off, they disappeared. That's one of the reasons that a few people - Old Pete included - started wondering if dragons were, you know, intelligent.

Well, the mainstream scientists weren't having any of that, of course, humans are humans and animals are animals and anyone who says it's not that simple is a sentimental fool and a Bad Scientist. There is nothing you can say to a scientist that's worse than accusing them of being a Bad Scientist. They'd rather be arrested for bank robbery than for sentimentality.

Jake Mendoza lives at the Makepeace Institute of Integrated Dragon Studies in Smokehill National Park. Smokehill is home to about two hundred of the few remaining draco australiensis, which is extinct in the wild. Keeping a preserve for dragons is controversial: detractors say dragons are extremely dangerous and unjustifiably expensive to keep and should be destroyed. Environmentalists and friends say there are no records of them eating humans and they are a unique example of specialist evolution and must be protected. But they are up to eighty feet long and breathe fire.

On his first overnight solo trek, Jake finds a dragon—a dragon dying next to the human she killed. Jake realizes this news could destroy Smokehill— even though the dead man is clearly a poacher who had attacked the dragon first, that fact will be lost in the outcry against dragons.

But then Jake is struck by something more urgent—he sees that the dragon has just given birth, and one of the babies is still alive. What he decides to do will determine not only their futures, but the future of Smokehill itself.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:38 -0400)

When Jake Mendoza, who lives in the Smokehill National Park where his father runs the Makepeace Institute of Integrated Dragon Studies, goes on his first solo overnight in the park, he finds an infant dragon whose mother has been killed by a poacher.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,792,800 books! | Top bar: Always visible