American Couples: Money, Work, Sex by Philip…

American Couples: Money, Work, Sex (original 1983; edition 1983)

by Philip Blumstein

Member:an_eternalstudent
Title:American Couples: Money, Work, Sex
Authors:Philip Blumstein
Info:William Morrow & Co (1983), Hardcover, 656 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:sociology, marriage, human relationships

American Couples: Money, Work, Sex by Philip Blumstein (1983)

It was French historian Andre Maurois who once observed: "A marriage without conflicts is almost as inconceivable as a nation without crisis."
Those of who have been in divorice court can attest to the veracity of this quote.
This tome -- all 650+ pages of it -- sheds light on some of the dynamics that spawn these conflicts. Drawing from about 12,000 questionnaires and in-depth interviews with 300 couples, the authors cast a revealing spotlight on three specific arenas: work, sex and money. They arrive at some conclusions that are hardly surprising. Example: the more a person earns, the greater power that individual has in a relationship. Another example: working wives continue to shoulder a disproportionate share of the responsibility for housework.
Sadly, this bulky book gets bogged down in far too many trivialities. Nonetheless, it has enough revealing case studies and even user-friendly graphs to make it a worthy read. ( )
  brianinbuffalo | Apr 26, 2007 |
To our parents who gave us models of successful relationships, and to all the people who shared their experiences with us and trusted us, we dedicate this book.
The couple is a basic unit of society.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,855,431 books! | Top bar: Always visible