Panic by Jeff Abbott

Panic (original 2005; edition 2005)

by Jeff Abbott, L.J. Ganser (Narrator)

517None19,613 (3.15)11
Member:gaillamontagne
Title:Panic
Authors:Jeff Abbott
Other authors:L.J. Ganser (Narrator)
Info:
Rating:***
Tags:audio/thriller

Panic by Jeff Abbott (2005)

2 (2) 2007 (4) action (3) adventure (3) audio (2) audiobook (2) Bookcrossing (3) CIA (6) crime (18) crime fiction (5) English (3) espionage (8) F (2) family (2) fiction (50) Jeff Abbott (2) murder (3) mystery (24) novel (6) own (2) owned (2) paperback (3) read (17) signed (2) spy (4) suspense (10) thriller (46) to-read (10) unread (4) USA (3)

English (24)  Swedish (3)  Spanish (1)  All languages (28)
I enjoyed the book and entertaining enough. I loaned it to a friend who normally takes weeks to read a book. She devoured the book in a week! ( )
  renemaia | Sep 3, 2013 |
Reading time, 11.75 hours. Evan Casher, a budding but successful documentary film maker, is called home by his mother who seems very concerned about something but will not tell him. Even is unaware he his being drawn into a web of cutthroat espionage.

I very much enjoyed listening to the story ; the narration done very well with varation in voices and expression. The plot is mostly believable but the main character developes skills of a CIA agent in a month's time which almost blew the believability!! In fact it was a dissapointment. The story was intriguing enough though, I wanted to finish listening anyway. ( )
  gaillamontagne | Apr 5, 2013 |
Evan Casher is a young documentary film maker whose life is thrown into turmoil when his mother urges him to return to his home town of Austin Texas immediately. When he does, he discovers her body on the kitchen floor of their family home and the killers are still there. Believing Evan has some information they want, the killers torture him then leave him for dead but he is rescued by someone claiming to be one of the good guys. What follows is a wild ride with spies, double agents and lots of unnecessary killing.

This is a perfectly serviceable thriller in which a normal person is thrown into extraordinary circumstances. There’s action a-plenty and a main character who is charming enough that I wanted him to beat the bad guys (however unlikely it should have been). However, I found the plot overly complex but not as engaging as it might have been. There seemed to be a few too many unnecessary twists on top of what was basically a story about a list of names. At no point during the entire book did I care a jot whose name was on the list or what happened to it and when the list was all anyone was talking about it made for some dull spots.
As with all thrillers of this type you have to suspend your disbelief about whether or not an average bloke could suddenly develop the skills to take on a gang of well-trained mercenaries and the CIA in MacGyver-like fashion but I found it more difficult than it should have been to do that here. However I’ll acknowledge that if I’d enjoyed the story more I’d have been less picky about the absurdities of Evan’s success against all the well-trained killers he faced.

To be fair to the author, part of my problem with this particular reading experience had nothing to do with the author. The narrator of the audio version I listened to struggled quite a bit to maintain the separate voices for each character (perhaps due to their large number) and some of the voices were just plain jarring to the ear. In particular the voice of one of the two main bad guys annoyed me intensely and, although there weren’t many of them, the bits of action that involved British characters were plain awful.

To me there was nothing unique about this thriller but it’s the kind of thing lots of people, including the types who commission Hollywood movies these days, really enjoy. There’s loads of action sequences, a decent amount of interesting deaths, a particularly nasty villain, an explosion or two and minimal character development. I’d have preferred a touch more credibility and a few less fight sequences but that’s just me. If you’re going to tackle Panic though I really wouldn’t recommend this audio version. ( )
  bsquaredinoz | Mar 31, 2013 |
Ok, but I could have quite easily stopped reading halfway through and wouldn't have been bothered about what happened.
To be honest I found the story boring, it just didn't hold my attention like I thought it would have done. I didn't care enough about the characters and I found the whole back story regarding the CIA, etc. very hard to believe. ( )
  26kathryn | Mar 30, 2013 |
Evan is a director of documentaries. He is a quiet guy fully immersed into his work. Everything seems to go OK - he is in love with Carrie and starts to plan for possible marriage. All is working fine until one day he receives a distress call from his mother urging him to get to his parents house. The very moment he arrives there he finds himself targeted by unknown people, running for his very life and constantly lied to by almost everybody he meets - and worst of all it seems that his parents..... well it seems they weren't exactly the folks they presented themselves to be.[return][return]Fast paced action, it will keep you glued to the book until the very end.[return][return]Recommended. ( )
  Zare | Dec 4, 2012 |
For Peter Ginsberg
The phone awoke Evan Casher, and he knew something was wrong.
Panic was weakness, a lack of preparation and resolve, a poison for his heart. -Jargo pg 29
The challenge, is that you must make a failure into an opportunity. If you create a situation, and you lose control of it, you must be able to reimagine that situation (salvageable situation); turn it to your advantage. You live and breathe, you can manipulate people. pg 228

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451412222, Mass Market Paperback)

Evan has a perfect life-until his mother is murdered. Suddenly, he himself is pursued by a circle of killers, only to discover that his entire past has been a lie. With only one chance at survival, and with no one he can trust, he must discover the truth about his family-and who he really is.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:01:45 -0400)

Things are going well for young film-maker Evan Casher - until he receives an urgent phonecall from his mother, summoning him home. He arrives to find her brutally murdered body on the kitchen floor and a hitman lying in wait for him.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,471,217 books! | Top bar: Always visible