Panic by Jeff Abbott

Panic (original 2005; edition 2005)

by Jeff Abbott, L.J. Ganser (Narrator)

Member:gaillamontagne
Title:Panic
Authors:Jeff Abbott
Other authors:L.J. Ganser (Narrator)
Info:
Rating:***
Tags:audio/thriller

Panic by Jeff Abbott (2005)

English (26)  Swedish (3)  Spanish (1)  All languages (30)
This book was probably my favorite out of all three. This one had more going on. I wa glad to see how much Rook grew up. She wasn´t running scared anymore, granted that has to do with the events from book 2 but there are still plenty of times when I wondered if she would pack up her shit and go. Go back running and hiding but she surprised me.

This one is different in the fact that Rook is moving in with Spencer for a while during production of his show. And Ronin is staying back at the studio to produce GIDGET. Unfortunatley for Rook Clare is back home and is the GIDGET. But she also has a few other things on her mind. She doesn´t like Rook and she wants Ronin all too herself. Ronin is either too sweet or too dumb to catch on right away. I always knew I hated Clare..Anyways. The move for Rook comes with a surprise that Ford will be living there too..

¨How did I get here? We´re Three´s Company. Spencer is airhead Chrissy,Ford is intellectual Janet, and I´m pretending to be gay so I don´t notice that you two are roomate eye-candy.¨

Yeah I without a doubt love the friendships between all of these characters. But they are all still hiding secrets. Secrets that can change everything. Secrets that have the potential to either pull them all apart or make them stronger. I am so proud of Rook in this book. In the end. These guys are all a team.

I didn´t think it was possible but I fell even harder for Ford. At times I even wanted to see what would happen with him and Rook if they crossed that line. She is the one that made him feel

¨Everyone but you, Rook. You are the only person on this entire Earth I care about. And you belong to someone else. And if were anyone but him I´d just say take you and say fuck the consequences.¨

See how can you not fall from him when he says things like that?

If you touch me I´ll touch you back. I´ll cup your face and kiss your mouth. I´ll hold you close and make you choose me. I´ll ruin everything if you touch me. I´ll ruin us.I´ll ruin this. I´ll ruin you, just like you said. I´ll ruin you and I´ll ruin your life. And I love you too much too to ruin you.

If I wasn´t so much Team Ronin and Rook, I would want so badly to be Team Ford. Not only has this author made me fall in love with one man in this story but two others as well. I adore Spencer and Ford flaws, past and secrets. Because with not only these two but all three men, if you peel back the layers and see into their souls they are beautiful and when they care about you. It´s over. Rook will never have to worry again. She has people that love her regardless of her past and these people help her make herself stronger. I am going to miss Rook and Ronin. I am so glad there will be a spin off for Ford and Spencer. I am not ready to let these men go yet.

I loved this series. So much that I finished all three books in a day. If you haven´t mean the Team yet, then you need to stop stalling and do it now. You won´t regret it.
  Mommy.Reads.What | Jun 22, 2014 |
I enjoyed the book and entertaining enough. I loaned it to a friend who normally takes weeks to read a book. She devoured the book in a week! ( )
  renemaia | Sep 3, 2013 |
Boring. In the early 60's the type of disjointed writing in Panic was fashionable, and rebellion against all institutions was what we did. Now it's just been there, done that.
  33racoonie | Aug 24, 2013 |
Reading time, 11.75 hours. Evan Casher, a budding but successful documentary film maker, is called home by his mother who seems very concerned about something but will not tell him. Even is unaware he his being drawn into a web of cutthroat espionage.

I very much enjoyed listening to the story ; the narration done very well with varation in voices and expression. The plot is mostly believable but the main character developes skills of a CIA agent in a month's time which almost blew the believability!! In fact it was a dissapointment. The story was intriguing enough though, I wanted to finish listening anyway. ( )
  gaillamontagne | Apr 5, 2013 |
Evan Casher is a young documentary film maker whose life is thrown into turmoil when his mother urges him to return to his home town of Austin Texas immediately. When he does, he discovers her body on the kitchen floor of their family home and the killers are still there. Believing Evan has some information they want, the killers torture him then leave him for dead but he is rescued by someone claiming to be one of the good guys. What follows is a wild ride with spies, double agents and lots of unnecessary killing.

This is a perfectly serviceable thriller in which a normal person is thrown into extraordinary circumstances. There’s action a-plenty and a main character who is charming enough that I wanted him to beat the bad guys (however unlikely it should have been). However, I found the plot overly complex but not as engaging as it might have been. There seemed to be a few too many unnecessary twists on top of what was basically a story about a list of names. At no point during the entire book did I care a jot whose name was on the list or what happened to it and when the list was all anyone was talking about it made for some dull spots.
As with all thrillers of this type you have to suspend your disbelief about whether or not an average bloke could suddenly develop the skills to take on a gang of well-trained mercenaries and the CIA in MacGyver-like fashion but I found it more difficult than it should have been to do that here. However I’ll acknowledge that if I’d enjoyed the story more I’d have been less picky about the absurdities of Evan’s success against all the well-trained killers he faced.

To be fair to the author, part of my problem with this particular reading experience had nothing to do with the author. The narrator of the audio version I listened to struggled quite a bit to maintain the separate voices for each character (perhaps due to their large number) and some of the voices were just plain jarring to the ear. In particular the voice of one of the two main bad guys annoyed me intensely and, although there weren’t many of them, the bits of action that involved British characters were plain awful.

To me there was nothing unique about this thriller but it’s the kind of thing lots of people, including the types who commission Hollywood movies these days, really enjoy. There’s loads of action sequences, a decent amount of interesting deaths, a particularly nasty villain, an explosion or two and minimal character development. I’d have preferred a touch more credibility and a few less fight sequences but that’s just me. If you’re going to tackle Panic though I really wouldn’t recommend this audio version. ( )
  bsquaredinoz | Mar 31, 2013 |
For Peter Ginsberg
The phone awoke Evan Casher, and he knew something was wrong.
Panic was weakness, a lack of preparation and resolve, a poison for his heart. -Jargo pg 29
The challenge, is that you must make a failure into an opportunity. If you create a situation, and you lose control of it, you must be able to reimagine that situation (salvageable situation); turn it to your advantage. You live and breathe, you can manipulate people. pg 228

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451412222, Mass Market Paperback)

Evan has a perfect life-until his mother is murdered. Suddenly, he himself is pursued by a circle of killers, only to discover that his entire past has been a lie. With only one chance at survival, and with no one he can trust, he must discover the truth about his family-and who he really is.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:01:45 -0400)

Things are going well for young film-maker Evan Casher - until he receives an urgent phonecall from his mother, summoning him home. He arrives to find her brutally murdered body on the kitchen floor and a hitman lying in wait for him.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,625,377 books! | Top bar: Always visible