dismiss

Night by Elie Wiesel

Night (1958)

by Elie Wiesel

Series: The Night Trilogy (1)

Night offers a personal and unforgettable account of the appalling horrors of Hitler's reign of terror. Through the eyes of 14-year-old Eliezer, we behold the tragic fate of the Jews from the little town of Sighet. Even as they are stuffed into cattle cars bound for Auschwitz, the townspeople refuse to believe rumors of anti-Semitic atrocities. Not until they are marched toward the blazing crematory at the camp's "reception center" does the terrible truth sink in.… (more)
Read (18)
To Read (23)
Europe (45)

English (477)  Italian (3)  Spanish (2)  Greek (1)  French (1)  Norwegian (1)  Swedish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (487)
Such a marvelous and horrific book. I'm amazed and horrified how much I forgot from the first time I read this. Very difficult story to read but we shouldn't forget what the Jews went through. ( )
  cgfaulknerog | May 28, 2020 |
If you haven't read it, you should. It's hard to read. Not because the writing is obtuse, but because processing what Elie and his family went through during the Holocaust is hard to imagine. If you haven't read it, you absolutely should. ( )
  bhiggs | Apr 7, 2020 |
Night is about a boy named Elie Wiesel. Elie is first taken away from his mother and sisters when he is deported to Auschwitz and is only left with his father who stays with him until January 28th, 1945. Until then they stick together like glue. Elie is a Jew and because of that he is taken to a ghetto. Elie and his family are taken towards the end of the war and most of his hours are filled by working or hoping for the Allied powers. Elie’s father is very weak by the time they get to Auschwitz and he is 50 and Elie, a teenager lucky enough a man walks up to the only living members of the Wiesel family and tells Elie he is 18 and his father is 40. Elie and his father are taken through the disinfect and showers and makeshift barber shop and start t their first Appel (call). From then assigned work and sleeping quarters. Given very little food, Elie’s father becomes sick and very close to death, before he dies, he tells Elie where the money and riches they had are. Elie sleeps by his father that night only to find in the morning he is already gone into the human ovens. Elie sad but hopeful decides that he must live and save the morning for later and for every bomb that frightens the SS Elie sees hope for the end of the war and the end of all this harsh treating. In doing so he makes it to the end of the war and lives to walk back into the same camp that his father died in with Oprah Whimpery.

With the number of books that I have read about family’s being ripped apart, this book still got me. I can’t find a book that is better. It is still hard to believe that a person could be so harsh and kill so much. I love this book because I can’t find one better. I finished this book on Jan 29, 2020 so for his father being 75 years dead he is still remembered. Most people couldn’t even morn their family members they just had to keep on going and try not to think about it so I can imagine him staying days inside his home and just think of all of the memories he has had with his family and friends. ( )
  BTravers.ELA2 | Mar 25, 2020 |
A terrifying window into the heart of the Holocaust, this was undoubtedly one of the best of its kind. From a first person perspective, Elie Wiesel unabashedly outlines every horrific detail about his life in the concentration camps and beyond. It's a heavy book, as of course it must be. You won't want to believe it's true, but at the same time you feel you have to read it, to keep the memory of the depths humankind can sink to alive.

The other factor of this book that interested me was Wiesel's musings on religion, the way he practiced, lost, cursed, regained, and questioned his faith in God. It became an integral part of his story, and I had always wondered how any person in his situation could possibly keep from considering atheism.

All in all, this book will make you sick, sad, and furious, but it is also a kind of fierce call to action, not so much to do something now, but to never forget and ensure it never happens again. ( )
  booksong | Mar 18, 2020 |
I really enjoyed reading this novel for three reasons. First, I liked this story because it had strong writing. The description of the book made it so the reader was really able to visualize the conditions of the concentration camps and the prisoner’s experiences. Some points, such as the explanation of the transportation to the camps, where hundreds of Jewish people were shoved into a single train car. The fact that it was so descriptive really enhanced the story because of the inhumane acts involved. The second reason why I liked this book was because it was fascinating to read the story from the point of view of an actual Holocaust survivor. It is one thing to read historical accounts of an event and to hear stories passed on, but it is a different experience to hear the events unfolding in first person. The third reason I liked this book was because it pushes readers to consider different perspectives. In this instance, the book showed how it is important to consider the innocent Jewish families who were split apart and were stripped of their freedom in these concentration camps with horrible conditions. This book has made a huge cultural impact, so it’s message is valuable to address. The main message of this story was to demonstrate the lack of humanity displayed throughout this time in history and to challenge us to be compassionate and kind to those who are different than us.
  mvanem1 | Mar 2, 2020 |
[Wiesel's] slim volume of terrifying power is the documentary of a boy - himself- who survived the "Night" that destroyed his parents and baby sister, but lost his God.

Elie Wieselprimary authorall editionscalculated
Mauriac, FrançoisForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rodway, StellaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wiesel, MarionTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Night ( [1960]English)
In memory of my parents and of my little sister, Tzipora

E.W.
This new translation

in memory of

my grandparents, Abba, Sarah, and Hachman,

who also vanished into that night

M.W.
They called him Moshe the Beadle, as though he had never had a surname in his life.
At about six o'clock in the evening, the first American tank stood at the gates of Buchenwald. Our first act as free men was to throw ourselves onto the provisions. We thought only of that. Not of revenge, not of our families. Nothing but bread. And even when we were no longer hungry, there was still no one who thought of revenge.

An incredible reaccounting of one boy's experience in the horrific hand's of the Nazi's in WWII. Elie Wiesl, a fourteen-year-old Jewish boy, is captured by the German Nazis and forced to do and experience unimaginable things. This story is unforgettable and heart-wrenching as we are able to zoom in and watch an innocent boy be mistreated and abused in the hands of the evil Nazis. Alhough terribly sad, this book sheds a light on some of the most horrific actions of man and is told in such a powerful way that a reader could not simply forget this story; that is why it made the top ten on my list.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140189890, 0141038993

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,643,737 books! | Top bar: Always visible