Night by Elie Wiesel

Night (1955)

by Elie Wiesel

Series: The Night Trilogy (1)

Tales From the House Behind by Anne Frank (avalon_today)
    avalon_today: Both based on true-life young adults; faced with great WWII horrors.
    Survival In Auschwitz by Primo Levi (ExVivre)
    Maus: A Survivor's Tale by Art Spiegelman (mcenroeucsb)
    The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas by John Boyne (PghDragonMan)
    Man's Search For Meaning by Viktor E. Frankl (bnbookgirl)
    Return to Auschwitz by Kitty Hart (CindyBytes)
    80629: A Mengele Experiment by Gene Church (CindyBytes)
    Fatelessness by Imre Kertész (chrisharpe)
    Ten rungs: Hasidic sayings by Martin Buber (Bill-once)
    The Cage by Ruth Minsky Sender (joririchardson)
    joririchardson: Both books are tragically moving stories of the Jewish Holocaust.
    Silence by Shūsaku Endō (cbl_tn)
    cbl_tn: Both books deal with a crisis of faith resulting from God's silence in the face of extreme suffering.

English (387)  Spanish (2)  French (1)  Greek (1)  Norwegian (1)  Swedish (1)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (395)
Never shall I forget that night, the first night in camp, that turned my life into one long night seven times sealed.

Never shall I forget that smoke.

Never shall I forget the small faces of the children whose bodies I saw transformed into smoke under a silent sky.

Never shall I forget those flames that consumed my faith forever.

Never shall I forget the nocturnal silence that deprived me for all eternity of the desire to live.

Never shall I forget those moments that murdered my God and my soul and turned my dreams to ashes.

Never shall I forget those things, even were I condemned to live as long as God himself.
Never.
- from the forward by Francois Mauriac

Wow. This book. It is beautifully written even though it is about some of the worst real-life horrors the world has ever known. I started reading this book because my daughter was reading it for her 8th grade English class. I was intrigued. I have an interest in books about the holocaust, especially those written for our society's younger members. I don't know if you would consider this a young adult book, but I feel it was completely appropriate for my 13-year old daughter. It is so hard to explain to young people what happened during the holocaust. But it is very important to keep those memories alive. Not only because it was so awful, but because it helps demonstrate that we should not stand by silently and allow horrific things to happen to others. Just because it might not affect us, doesn't mean we should be silent. I also believe books are a great way to encourage empathy (without being preachy). :)

Ok, enough about my daughter. This book is amazing. If you haven't read it, you really should. I read it in 2 hours. I didn't intend to, but I just couldn't put it down. This book had me angry, it had me sad, it even had me in tears. I was annoyed and sad at the complacency of people; some refusing to believe what was going on until it was too late. I guess it's understandable. People don't like to think that bad things will happen to them. And such evil is really almost impossible to comprehend.

I will say that this book is difficult to read and heart breaking. It is almost unbearable, but still important.

Someone trying to warn the Jewish people in the town:
You cannot understand. I was saved miraculously. I succeeded in coming back. Where did I get my strength? I wanted to return to Sighet to describe to you my death so that you might ready yourselves while there is still time. Life? I no longer care to live. I am alone. But I wanted to come back to warn you. Only no one is listening to me..."

Some important quotes:
From that moment on, everything happened very quickly. The race toward death had begun.

The yellow star? So what? It's not lethal... (Poor Father! Of what then did you die?)

The ghetto was ruled by neither German nor Jew; it was ruled by delusion.

They were the first faces of hell and death.

"Men to the left! Women to the right!" Eight words spoken quietly, indifferently, without emotion. Eight simple, short words. Yet that was the moment when I left my mother. There was no time to think, and I already felt my father's hand press against mine: we were alone.

How was it possible that men, women, and children were being burned and that the world kept silent?

I too had become a different person. The student of the Talmud, the child I was, had been consumed by the flames. All that was left was a shape that resembled me. My soul had been invaded -- and devoured -- by a black flame.

At that moment in time, all that mattered to me was my daily bowl of soup, my crust of stale bread. The bread, the soup -- those were my entire life.

Our minds numb with indifference. Here or elsewhere, what did it matter? Die today or tomorrow, or later? The night was growing longer, never-ending.

From the Nobel Peace Prize Acceptance Speech
And then I explain to him how naive we were, that the world did know and remained silent. And that is why I swore never to be silent whenever and wherever human beings endure suffering and humiliation. We must take sides.

Recommended to:
Anyone who can bear to read it. :) ( )
  Jadedog13 | Feb 3, 2016 |
It is hard to read this book and not lose whatever faith you had in human beings. Just beautifully, heartbreakingly brilliant. ( )
  BooksForDinner | Jan 29, 2016 |
This was one of the best memoirs that i have read in a long time. I felt like i was right there with him in the concentration camps. this one definetly made me cry. ( )
  alwelker | Jan 25, 2016 |
  alwelker | Jan 25, 2016 |
This is Wiesel’s memoir of his (and his family’s) time spent in Auschwitz. For such a slim volume it packs an emotional wallop. The writing is raw and graphic in places, tender and poetic in others.

The central questions Wiesel leaves in the reader’s mind are: Where is God in such horrible eras of history? How far will one descend when faced with terror and deprivation on a daily basis? How can someone truly recover from such an experience?

The ending, when he looks himself in the mirror, will haunt me for a long time.

The audio book is ably narrated by Jeffrey Rosenblatt. I found his voice irritating at the beginning, but I came to identify his attempt at sounding “young,” after all, Wiesel was just 15 when he was interred, and it ceased to bother me. Rosenblatt does a particularly fine job of performing the last scenes in the book, especially those between Wiesel and his father. ( )
  BookConcierge | Jan 24, 2016 |
[Wiesel's] slim volume of terrifying power is the documentary of a boy - himself- who survived the "Night" that destroyed his parents and baby sister, but lost his God.

Elie Wieselprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bláhová, AlenaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Brown, Robert McAfeePrefacesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mauriac, FrançoisForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rodway, StellaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wiesel, MarionTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In memory of my parents and of my little sister, Tzipora -- E.W.
This new translation in memory of my grandparents, Abba, Sarah and Nachman, who also vanished into that night -- M.W.
They called him Moshe the Beadle, as though he had never had a surname in his life.
At about six o'clock in the evening, the first American tank stood at the gates of Buchenwald. Our first act as free men was to throw ourselves onto the provisions. We thought only of that. Not of revenge, not of our families. Nothing but bread. And even when we were no longer hungry, there was still no one who thought of revenge.
An incredible reaccounting of one boy's experience in the horrific hand's of the Nazi's in WWII. Elie Wiesl, a fourteen-year-old Jewish boy, is captured by the German Nazis and forced to do and experience unimaginable things. This story is unforgettable and heart-wrenching as we are able to zoom in and watch an innocent boy be mistreated and abused in the hands of the evil Nazis. Alhough terribly sad, this book sheds a light on some of the most horrific actions of man and is told in such a powerful way that a reader could not simply forget this story; that is why it made the top ten on my list.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0374500010, Paperback)

In Nobel laureate Elie Wiesel's memoir Night, a scholarly, pious teenager is wracked with guilt at having survived the horror of the Holocaust and the genocidal campaign that consumed his family. His memories of the nightmare world of the death camps present him with an intolerable question: how can the God he once so fervently believed in have allowed these monstrous events to occur? There are no easy answers in this harrowing book, which probes life's essential riddles with the lucid anguish only great literature achieves. It marks the crucial first step in Wiesel's lifelong project to bear witness for those who died.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:35 -0400)

Born in the town of Sighet, Transylvania, Elie Wiesel was a teenager when he and his family were taken from their home in 1944 to the Auschwitz concentration camp, and then to Buchenwald. [This book] is the terrifying record of Elie Wiesel's memories of the death of his family, the death of his own innocence, and his despair as a deeply observant Jew confronting the absolute evil of man.… (more)

5 2083

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140189890, 0141038993

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,083,002 books! | Top bar: Always visible