Night by Elie Wiesel

Night (1955)

by Elie Wiesel

Tales From the House Behind by Anne Frank (avalon_today)
    avalon_today: Both based on true-life young adults; faced with great WWII horrors.
    Survival In Auschwitz by Primo Levi (ExVivre)
    Maus: A Survivor's Tale by Art Spiegelman (mcenroeucsb)
    The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas by John Boyne (PghDragonMan)
    Man's Search For Meaning by Viktor Frankl (bnbookgirl)
    Return to Auschwitz by Kitty Hart (CindyBytes)
    80629: A Mengele Experiment by Gene Church (CindyBytes)
    Fatelessness by Imre Kertész (chrisharpe)
    Ten rungs: Hasidic sayings by Martin Buber (Bill-once)
    The Cage by Ruth Minsky Sender (joririchardson)
    joririchardson: Both books are tragically moving stories of the Jewish Holocaust.
    Silence by Shūsaku Endō (cbl_tn)
    cbl_tn: Both books deal with a crisis of faith resulting from God's silence in the face of extreme suffering.

English (342)  Spanish (2)  French (1)  Greek (1)  Dutch (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (348)
This is not a book that you enjoy. That is simply not its purpose.

It serves to be a witness to the horrors that lay in the darkest recesses of the human soul. I haven't learnt something from it that has vastly changed my understanding of the war as I've been to various concentration camps across Europe and have heard and seen their horrors first hand.

What it did for me was to bring home the concept of the suffering of the individual. We tend to look at the Holocaust in terms of death tolls rather than individual suffering. This tale brings to life the outside forces, as well as the inner turmoil, that shaped this man's unimaginable journey. ( )
  plaeski | Dec 16, 2014 |
Night is the memoir of Elie Wiesel. It tells about his experience with his father in Nazi Germany Concentration Camps at Aushwitz and Buchewalk in 1944-45 at the height of World War II. This book brought me to tears several times and I was horrified while reading his raw accounts. This is a must read so that we never forget such atrocities and work to prevent and defend humanity against such things. I'd recommend this to high school students and adults. I often use this within a unit on the Holocaust within a Modern World History course. ( )
  lolhscybrarian | Dec 2, 2014 |
A short book that tells a powerful and emotional story of his life during the Holocaust. Some pages left me horrified and in shock of our human race, others left me crying for all he has lost. I've read many Holocaust stories and this one ranks as one of the best. A must read! ( )
  Staciele | Nov 10, 2014 |
A very difficult book to read quickly. It was necessary to read this small book slowly and take in only a little of the horror at one time. Psychologically, it is fascinating -- showing the animal tendencies that arise when humans are treated as animals. Very disturbing and very good. ( )
  AliceAnna | Oct 22, 2014 |
Wow. This book absolutely wrecked me. I made the mistake of reading a little of it before I left for work, and had to put it down for a day to let my soul heal. Elie Wiesel shares his story of spending time in the World War II concentration camps of Auschwitz, Buna, and Buchenwald. Separated from his mother and three sisters, his father and he work in the camps, struggling through the cold, starvation, and cruelty to survive the war. He tells his story in such a way that you can picture the scenes. He pulls you in, stomps on your heart, and leaves an imprint on your soul. Don't be fooled by the short length, as his words are so powerful, so compelling, that you will find enough in these pages to last a lifetime. This book is a must-read. ( )
  GovMarley | Oct 7, 2014 |
[Wiesel's] slim volume of terrifying power is the documentary of a boy - himself- who survived the "Night" that destroyed his parents and baby sister, but lost his God.

Elie Wieselprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bláhová, AlenaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Brown, Robert McAfeePrefacesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mauriac, FrançoisForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rodway, StellaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wiesel, MarionTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In memory of my parents and of my little sister, Tzipora -- E.W.
This new translation in memory of my grandparents, Abba, Sarah and Nachman, who also vanished into that night -- M.W.
They called him Moshe the Beadle, as though he had never had a surname in his life.
At about six o'clock in the evening, the first American tank stood at the gates of Buchenwald. Our first act as free men was to throw ourselves onto the provisions. We thought only of that. Not of revenge, not of our families. Nothing but bread. And even when we were no longer hungry, there was still no one who thought of revenge.
An incredible reaccounting of one boy's experience in the horrific hand's of the Nazi's in WWII. Elie Wiesl, a fourteen-year-old Jewish boy, is captured by the German Nazis and forced to do and experience unimaginable things. This story is unforgettable and heart-wrenching as we are able to zoom in and watch an innocent boy be mistreated and abused in the hands of the evil Nazis. Alhough terribly sad, this book sheds a light on some of the most horrific actions of man and is told in such a powerful way that a reader could not simply forget this story; that is why it made the top ten on my list.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0374500010, Paperback)

In Nobel laureate Elie Wiesel's memoir Night, a scholarly, pious teenager is wracked with guilt at having survived the horror of the Holocaust and the genocidal campaign that consumed his family. His memories of the nightmare world of the death camps present him with an intolerable question: how can the God he once so fervently believed in have allowed these monstrous events to occur? There are no easy answers in this harrowing book, which probes life's essential riddles with the lucid anguish only great literature achieves. It marks the crucial first step in Wiesel's lifelong project to bear witness for those who died.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:14 -0400)

Born in the town of Sighet, Transylvania, Elie Wiesel was a teenager when he and his family were taken from their home in 1944 to the Auschwitz concentration camp, and then to Buchenwald. [This book] is the terrifying record of Elie Wiesel's memories of the death of his family, the death of his own innocence, and his despair as a deeply observant Jew confronting the absolute evil of man.… (more)

5 1926

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140189890, 0141038993

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,353,699 books! | Top bar: Always visible