Night by Elie Wiesel

Night (1958)

by Elie Wiesel

Series: The Night Trilogy (1)

English (463)  Spanish (2)  Italian (2)  Greek (1)  French (1)  Norwegian (1)  Swedish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (472)
Phenomenal firsthand account of a Holocaust concentration camp survivor. Sad reminder of a brutal piece of human history. All should read this book. ( )
  alsparks324 | Apr 5, 2019 |
Interesting story. I am so used to reading statistics about the Holocaust. This book is all about the lived experience. Parts of it are very surprising, the way daily life actually worked. The presentation is very selective and a lot is skipped over; it is sketchier and more impressionistic than I'd like. The writing is clear and not powerful, but the story is powerful. ( )
  breic | Mar 16, 2019 |
[Publisher] Night is Elie Wiesel's masterpiece, a candid, horrific, and deeply poignant autobiographical account of his survival as a teenager in the Nazi death camps. This new translation by Marion Wiesel, Elie's wife and frequent translator, presents this seminal memoir in the language and spirit truest to the author's original intent. And in a substantive new preface, Elie reflects on the enduring importance of Night and his lifelong, passionate dedication to ensuring that the world never forgets man's capacity for inhumanity to man.

Night offers much more than a litany of the daily terrors, everyday perversions, and rampant sadism at Auschwitz and Buchenwald; it also eloquently addresses many of the philosophical as well as personal questions implicit in any serious consideration of what the Holocaust was, what it meant, and what its legacy is and will be.
  St-Johns-Episcopal | Feb 27, 2019 |
Elie Wiesel, at the time a teen, tells his story of survival in Auschwitz during World War II. The story begins prior to his family being taken from their home. In 1944, Wiesel, his family, and other Jews from his town are forced to leave their homes and move to the ghettos of Sighet. Soon after, they are sent in cattle cars to Birkenau. When they arrive, he is separated from his mother and sister, and that will be the last time he sees them. He continues to tell of the horrors he and his father endured during their time in Auschwitz. In January the Jews are forced to march to the Gleiwitz concentration camp. Many prisoners pass away from exhaustion, malnourishment, illness, or abuse, including Wiesel's father. Finally, the prisoners are liberated in April 1945. ( )
  carrieludwig | Feb 18, 2019 |
This book had been sitting on my bookshelf for awhile as I wanted to read it, but the subject matter is such that I had to be in the right frame of mind. This is a deeply moving and powerful book about the author's experience in concentration camps and the atrocities that happened during the Holocaust. The author was a teenager in Sighet Transylvania and the Jews living thought they would be left alone. They were for most of the war, but in 1944, the German's final solution hit their town. Elie and his family were loaded onto the infamous cattle cars and off they went. Words cannot describe how much sorrow I felt reading this story. It is impossible for us, as readers, to truly fathom this piece of history, unless we lived it. What Elie had to endure to survive until the end of the war is heart breaking. The fact that he lost his faith, yet regained it with time is a feat in itself. The author was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 1986 calling him a "messenger to mankind" for his written works. I did not realize that this is the first book in a trilogy. I hope to eventually read the rest of the books, but I hope everyone takes the time to read this short memoir at some point in their lives. It is something that we can never forget. ( )
  Carlathelibrarian | Feb 5, 2019 |
[Wiesel's] slim volume of terrifying power is the documentary of a boy - himself- who survived the "Night" that destroyed his parents and baby sister, but lost his God.

Elie Wieselprimary authorall editionscalculated
Mauriac, FrançoisForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rodway, StellaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wiesel, MarionTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Night ( [1960]English)
In memory of my parents and of my little sister, Tzipora

E.W.
This new translation

in memory of

my grandparents, Abba, Sarah, and Hachman,

who also vanished into that night

M.W.
They called him Moshe the Beadle, as though he had never had a surname in his life.
At about six o'clock in the evening, the first American tank stood at the gates of Buchenwald. Our first act as free men was to throw ourselves onto the provisions. We thought only of that. Not of revenge, not of our families. Nothing but bread. And even when we were no longer hungry, there was still no one who thought of revenge.
An incredible reaccounting of one boy's experience in the horrific hand's of the Nazi's in WWII. Elie Wiesl, a fourteen-year-old Jewish boy, is captured by the German Nazis and forced to do and experience unimaginable things. This story is unforgettable and heart-wrenching as we are able to zoom in and watch an innocent boy be mistreated and abused in the hands of the evil Nazis. Alhough terribly sad, this book sheds a light on some of the most horrific actions of man and is told in such a powerful way that a reader could not simply forget this story; that is why it made the top ten on my list.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0374500010, Paperback)

In Nobel laureate Elie Wiesel's memoir Night, a scholarly, pious teenager is wracked with guilt at having survived the horror of the Holocaust and the genocidal campaign that consumed his family. His memories of the nightmare world of the death camps present him with an intolerable question: how can the God he once so fervently believed in have allowed these monstrous events to occur? There are no easy answers in this harrowing book, which probes life's essential riddles with the lucid anguish only great literature achieves. It marks the crucial first step in Wiesel's lifelong project to bear witness for those who died.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:35 -0400)

Born in the town of Sighet, Transylvania, Elie Wiesel was a teenager when he and his family were taken from their home in 1944 to the Auschwitz concentration camp, and then to Buchenwald. [This book] is the terrifying record of Elie Wiesel's memories of the death of his family, the death of his own innocence, and his despair as a deeply observant Jew confronting the absolute evil of man.… (more)

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140189890, 0141038993

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,090,099 books! | Top bar: Always visible