Night by Elie Wiesel

Night (1955)

by Elie Wiesel

Series: The Night Trilogy (1)

Tales From the House Behind by Anne Frank (avalon_today)
    avalon_today: Both based on true-life young adults; faced with great WWII horrors.
    Survival In Auschwitz by Primo Levi (ExVivre)
    Maus: A Survivor's Tale by Art Spiegelman (mcenroeucsb)
    The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas by John Boyne (PghDragonMan)
    Man's Search For Meaning by Viktor Frankl (bnbookgirl)
    Return to Auschwitz by Kitty Hart (CindyBytes)
    80629: A Mengele Experiment by Gene Church (CindyBytes)
    Fatelessness by Imre Kertész (chrisharpe)
    Ten rungs: Hasidic sayings by Martin Buber (Bill-once)
    The Cage by Ruth Minsky Sender (joririchardson)
    joririchardson: Both books are tragically moving stories of the Jewish Holocaust.
    Silence by Shusaku Endo (cbl_tn)
    cbl_tn: Both books deal with a crisis of faith resulting from God's silence in the face of extreme suffering.

English (341)  Spanish (2)  French (1)  Greek (1)  Dutch (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (347)
This novel is about a young Jewish girl who studies the Torah which is the New Testament and the Old Testament when the memoir begins. In this book, the Jews are treated horrible. They are stripped, shaved, disinfected and treated so cruel. I feel like this novel is very intense to have in a classroom and I feel like the students should get permission maybe to be allowed to read this book. It makes you realize how good we have it and how everybody should respect one another. ( )
  emilyann93 | Nov 26, 2014 |
A short book that tells a powerful and emotional story of his life during the Holocaust. Some pages left me horrified and in shock of our human race, others left me crying for all he has lost. I've read many Holocaust stories and this one ranks as one of the best. A must read! ( )
  Staciele | Nov 10, 2014 |
A very difficult book to read quickly. It was necessary to read this small book slowly and take in only a little of the horror at one time. Psychologically, it is fascinating -- showing the animal tendencies that arise when humans are treated as animals. Very disturbing and very good. ( )
  AliceAnna | Oct 22, 2014 |
Wow. This book absolutely wrecked me. I made the mistake of reading a little of it before I left for work, and had to put it down for a day to let my soul heal. Elie Wiesel shares his story of spending time in the World War II concentration camps of Auschwitz, Buna, and Buchenwald. Separated from his mother and three sisters, his father and he work in the camps, struggling through the cold, starvation, and cruelty to survive the war. He tells his story in such a way that you can picture the scenes. He pulls you in, stomps on your heart, and leaves an imprint on your soul. Don't be fooled by the short length, as his words are so powerful, so compelling, that you will find enough in these pages to last a lifetime. This book is a must-read. ( )
  GovMarley | Oct 7, 2014 |
Description from back of book

Night - a terrifying account of the Nazi death camp horror that turns a young Jewish boy into an agonized witness to the death of his family...the death of his innocence...and the death of his God. Penetrating and powerful, as personal as The Diary of Anne Frank, Night awakens the shocking memory of evil at its absolute and carries with it the unforgettable message that this horror must never be allowed to happen again.

My Comments

I'll say it right out. I don't like Holocaust books. Now it isn't that I don't think they're important, or anything like that. They just make me sick. They make me sick to my stomach and they make me ashamed to be human. I realize it is important to read and understand the horrors in our past, but this isn't something I like to do for fun. Once in a while, though, I think it's important to read one, so that's what I did. I also don't like reading books in translation. I always feel I'm missing the cadence of the original language, missing the beauty and poignancy that the original words brought to the text. But unfortunately it becomes a necessity since I don't speak anything other than English (fluently, anyway). These two reasons are why it gets four stars instead of five.

This book was powerful. It was sad, heartbreaking, and emotional despite (because of?) its Hemmingway-esque simplicity. The sadness, the bleakness, the utterly hopelessness conveyed in this book are utterly devastating, culminating in a young boy's complete loss of faith not only in humanity but in his God. A remarkable work, although very, very, very dark and depressing. But I guess that makes sense, as it's describing first hand one of the very very darkest points in human history. ( )
  sammii507 | Aug 19, 2014 |
[Wiesel's] slim volume of terrifying power is the documentary of a boy - himself- who survived the "Night" that destroyed his parents and baby sister, but lost his God.

Elie Wieselprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bláhová, AlenaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Brown, Robert McAfeePrefacesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mauriac, FrançoisForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rodway, StellaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wiesel, MarionTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In memory of my parents and of my little sister, Tzipora -- E.W.
This new translation in memory of my grandparents, Abba, Sarah and Nachman, who also vanished into that night -- M.W.
They called him Moshe the Beadle, as though he had never had a surname in his life.
At about six o'clock in the evening, the first American tank stood at the gates of Buchenwald. Our first act as free men was to throw ourselves onto the provisions. We thought only of that. Not of revenge, not of our families. Nothing but bread. And even when we were no longer hungry, there was still no one who thought of revenge.
An incredible reaccounting of one boy's experience in the horrific hand's of the Nazi's in WWII. Elie Wiesl, a fourteen-year-old Jewish boy, is captured by the German Nazis and forced to do and experience unimaginable things. This story is unforgettable and heart-wrenching as we are able to zoom in and watch an innocent boy be mistreated and abused in the hands of the evil Nazis. Alhough terribly sad, this book sheds a light on some of the most horrific actions of man and is told in such a powerful way that a reader could not simply forget this story; that is why it made the top ten on my list.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0374500010, Paperback)

In Nobel laureate Elie Wiesel's memoir Night, a scholarly, pious teenager is wracked with guilt at having survived the horror of the Holocaust and the genocidal campaign that consumed his family. His memories of the nightmare world of the death camps present him with an intolerable question: how can the God he once so fervently believed in have allowed these monstrous events to occur? There are no easy answers in this harrowing book, which probes life's essential riddles with the lucid anguish only great literature achieves. It marks the crucial first step in Wiesel's lifelong project to bear witness for those who died.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:14 -0400)

Born in the town of Sighet, Transylvania, Elie Wiesel was a teenager when he and his family were taken from their home in 1944 to the Auschwitz concentration camp, and then to Buchenwald. [This book] is the terrifying record of Elie Wiesel's memories of the death of his family, the death of his own innocence, and his despair as a deeply observant Jew confronting the absolute evil of man.… (more)

5 1918

Two editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140189890, 0141038993

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,038,200 books! | Top bar: Always visible