Night (Oprah's Book Club) by Elie Wiesel

Night (Oprah's Book Club) (original 1958; edition 2006)

by Elie Wiesel

Member:golightly
Title:Night (Oprah's Book Club)
Authors:Elie Wiesel
Info:Hill and Wang (2006), Paperback, 144 pages

Night by Elie Wiesel (1958)

Recently added byravenclawrogue, Cbaker967, libraryaimee, jenn88, private library, TinaMReid, Shonya, MH2017
Legacy LibrariesEeva-Liisa Manner, Danilo Kiš

English (417)  Spanish (2)  Italian (2)  Greek (1)  French (1)  Norwegian (1)  Swedish (1)  Dutch (1)  All (426)
Halfway through I found out this guy's a fake. Ruined it for me. ( )
  jenn88 | Apr 25, 2017 |
The story of young Elie's survival during the Holocaust. It is very sad and of course, tragic. ( )
  sandylw | Apr 20, 2017 |
(9/10) This short memoir of the authors time in the ghetto and various concentration camps during WW2 is told very matter of factly. I suppose after seeing so much death it would be difficult for him to feel anything anymore, you just become numb to it.

An important book and one that should be widely read if only so we don't forget the brutality capable by mankind. ( )
  LiteraryReadaholic | Mar 8, 2017 |
What can I say that hasn't already been said? 5 stars. The version I listened to includes his Nobel Prize acceptance speech and a foreward written by the author. The narration by George Guidall was flawless. ( )
1 vote janb37 | Feb 13, 2017 |
This is a great reading to go along with books like The Diary of Anne Frank, and the Book Thief. Another memoir/account of the Holocaust, this is a short read, which discusses very real and horrific experiences faced by Jews living in concentration camps during the Holocaust. This book covers what Anne Frank and the Book Thief do not- life within the concentration camps, rather than hiding from Nazis, or seeing the atrocities committed upon Jews. ( )
1 vote alexishartline | Feb 5, 2017 |

[Wiesel's] slim volume of terrifying power is the documentary of a boy - himself- who survived the "Night" that destroyed his parents and baby sister, but lost his God.

Elie Wieselprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bláhová, AlenaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Brown, Robert McAfeePrefacesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mauriac, FrançoisForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rodway, StellaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wiesel, MarionTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In memory of my parents and of my little sister, Tzipora -- E.W.
This new translation in memory of my grandparents, Abba, Sarah and Nachman, who also vanished into that night -- M.W.
They called him Moshe the Beadle, as though he had never had a surname in his life.
At about six o'clock in the evening, the first American tank stood at the gates of Buchenwald. Our first act as free men was to throw ourselves onto the provisions. We thought only of that. Not of revenge, not of our families. Nothing but bread. And even when we were no longer hungry, there was still no one who thought of revenge.
An incredible reaccounting of one boy's experience in the horrific hand's of the Nazi's in WWII. Elie Wiesl, a fourteen-year-old Jewish boy, is captured by the German Nazis and forced to do and experience unimaginable things. This story is unforgettable and heart-wrenching as we are able to zoom in and watch an innocent boy be mistreated and abused in the hands of the evil Nazis. Alhough terribly sad, this book sheds a light on some of the most horrific actions of man and is told in such a powerful way that a reader could not simply forget this story; that is why it made the top ten on my list.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0374500010, Paperback)

In Nobel laureate Elie Wiesel's memoir Night, a scholarly, pious teenager is wracked with guilt at having survived the horror of the Holocaust and the genocidal campaign that consumed his family. His memories of the nightmare world of the death camps present him with an intolerable question: how can the God he once so fervently believed in have allowed these monstrous events to occur? There are no easy answers in this harrowing book, which probes life's essential riddles with the lucid anguish only great literature achieves. It marks the crucial first step in Wiesel's lifelong project to bear witness for those who died.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:35 -0400)

Born in the town of Sighet, Transylvania, Elie Wiesel was a teenager when he and his family were taken from their home in 1944 to the Auschwitz concentration camp, and then to Buchenwald. [This book] is the terrifying record of Elie Wiesel's memories of the death of his family, the death of his own innocence, and his despair as a deeply observant Jew confronting the absolute evil of man.… (more)

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140189890, 0141038993

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,787,900 books! | Top bar: Always visible