Night (Oprah's Book Club) by Elie Wiesel

Night (Oprah's Book Club) (original 1958; edition 2006)

by Elie Wiesel

Member:golightly
Title:Night (Oprah's Book Club)
Authors:Elie Wiesel
Info:Hill and Wang (2006), Paperback, 144 pages

Night by Elie Wiesel (1958)

Tales from the House Behind by Anne Frank (avalon_today)
    avalon_today: Both based on true-life young adults; faced with great WWII horrors.
    Survival In Auschwitz by Primo Levi (ExVivre)
    Maus: A Survivor's Tale by Art Spiegelman (mcenroeucsb)
    Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor E. Frankl (bnbookgirl)
    The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas by John Boyne (PghDragonMan)
    Return to Auschwitz by Kitty Hart (CindyBytes)
    80629: A Mengele Experiment by Gene Church (CindyBytes)
    Fatelessness by Imre Kertész (chrisharpe)
    Ten rungs: Hasidic sayings by Martin Buber (Bill-once)
    The Cage by Ruth Minsky Sender (joririchardson)
    joririchardson: Both books are tragically moving stories of the Jewish Holocaust.
    Silence by Shūsaku Endō (cbl_tn)
    cbl_tn: Both books deal with a crisis of faith resulting from God's silence in the face of extreme suffering.

English (398)  Spanish (2)  French (1)  Greek (1)  Norwegian (1)  Swedish (1)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (406)
The first time I read Anne Frank was in a middle school classroom at the behest of a semi-retired English teacher that was practically pickled in her ways. Students stuttered through paragraphs read aloud, giggled uncomfortably, and acted how you would probably presume a bunch of middle to upper class kids reading Anne Frank in a stuffy room of a private school would. The most talked about instance in the whole thing was our teacher's lecture to the prepubescent horde about how unfunny periods are.

To say the least, the might of the moment was bleached and tainted. However, when at home and free to read as pleased, I was beginning to realize that it was the first book I'd ever encountered that stirred up so much within me. So many questions, so much horror, fear, and sadness. Previously, books had moved me to humor or ideas... but all of that seemed pale because of this experience. As such, I've returned to this book many times. Hoping that it's voice might encourage my own, that I might hold onto a memory of a girl in hiding, that it might humble me and make me grateful.

It has, it does, and this continues with Night. There's no real critique to this review, just as there was no thought to critique while the book was being read. I feel that some books surpass the need for criticism, some are just voices that we should be grateful (and so, so humble) to hear. ( )
  lamotamant | Jun 23, 2016 |
Amazing book. Grim, detailed, and full of what life was like before the ghetto and the camps. When I'm in the mood to deal with it all, I'll read it again. ( )
  threadnsong | Jun 18, 2016 |
“We were masters of nature, masters of the world. We had forgotten everything--death, fatigue, our natural needs. Stronger than cold or hunger, stronger than the shots and the desire to die, condemned and wandering, mere numbers, we were the only men on earth.”

Night is a short book written about the author’s time in the concentration camps as a young teenager. The first chapters show his family in its entirety – mother, father, sisters, himself, and a small reveal about the townsfolk, particularly his mentor who returns home with a vicious warning of their impending fate. It’s surprising to me how he is ignored and how the town refuses to think that it could possibly ‘happen to them.’ I suppose this is common human illogical when faced with devastating news – much like a medical diagnosis even if we’ve been leading unhealthy lifestyles. The tragic, inevitable strikes where Elie and his family go to Auschwitz, and he is then separated forever from his mother and sisters.

Being short, naturally the pacing is quick, but this is not meant to be an action-packed novel in any form. It’s instead a clinical retelling of unimaginable horrors and tragedies. The dry tone is a little offsetting, but I think this is the only way the author could tell it and open up about the painful memory. Sometimes becoming clinical is the only way to survive.

What happened to these poor people in Auschwitz and camps near Berlin is horrifying, but I think the most frightening fact this story conveys is how little emotion was left to the individuals placed in the haunting situation. With its bleak detachment, the story shows how they were turned into little more than animals, soulless and without emotion, even when their friends die in front of their eyes, where they begin killing their own fathers and sons for mere food. And wow, were these people starved.

They started to become immune to any form of death, sometimes finding relief in it as it freed up more room, food, warmth, and helped their own survival. They had to no choice but to let their emotion die, leaving them early on, detaching all that they once were from the new environment. It was too awful to endure while keeping yourself “mentally there.”

The worst scene, I think, was the end travel. The snow was frightening enough, but the starvation is something we could never imagine. The haunting scene of the son killing his father for the small piece of bread, then being killed himself as he tries to bite into it, is more than unsettling. It all starts with a game where the guards throw bread into the confinement area just to see what would happen and who would kill who for a such a small portion of nourishment.

At a mere 115 pages, the imagery and inner turmoil is potent. There’s nothing enjoyable in reading non-fiction such as this, but it’s important never to forget. Some people comment on the writing style as being dry and with little emotion, as if that were a negative thing (and in fiction it would be), but here it’s done the only way it can be for this particular author and is in no way written poorly.

“For in the end, it is all about memory, its sources and its magnitude, and, of course, its consequences.”

Paperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |
The book “Night” by Elie Wiesel made The Nobel Peace Prize and made Oprah’s Book Club. I just finished the 120 page 2006 revised copy translated by the Author’s wife, Marion Wiesel. Not much changed from the original story just interpreted in better comprehensible content. It was a great read. I’m glad I choose to read the book.

It was a true story about the Author in the days he witness the horror, felt the pain physically and emotionally of the Nazi death camps. He, his family and many more people in his community were taken from their homes, traveled for days in train cattle cars, walked miles for days at a time, and became separated from family members once they reached Auschwitz. The separation of the women from the men, the selections of healthy men from the old and fragile, and the inhumane deaths of children and babies being thrown in the flames of the crematories alive. I don’t know why or how Elie Wiesel never succumbed to insanity.

The horridness of his memories of the death of his family, the death of his own innocence, and his despair as a deeply observant Jew confronting the absolute evil of man.

It’s hard to read a book like this and write a review about the contents. I struggled but I wanted his story to lay out the insensately that there are people still out there wanting World Power, declaring War , fraudulently tampering with Politics‘, and especially planning Terrorism.

This book”, Night” by Elie Wiesel carries the unforgettable message that this horror must never be allowed to happen again. I highly recommend this book…
1 vote Juan-banjo | May 31, 2016 |
In this book, Elie Wiesel shares his story of the Nazis taking over and forcing the Jews to live in Ghettos and later forced from the Ghettos into concentration camps. He recounts these horrific events with such clarity. He discusses how he felt throughout the different transitions from ghettos to concentration camps to the death march. He was not always proud of his thoughts or even some of his actions, and he even began to doubt his faith in God. This is an excellent read for anyone interested in gaining a different perspective on the Holocaust. ( )
  Kay_Downing | Apr 28, 2016 |
[Wiesel's] slim volume of terrifying power is the documentary of a boy - himself- who survived the "Night" that destroyed his parents and baby sister, but lost his God.

Elie Wieselprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bláhová, AlenaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Brown, Robert McAfeePrefacesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mauriac, FrançoisForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rodway, StellaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wiesel, MarionTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In memory of my parents and of my little sister, Tzipora -- E.W.
This new translation in memory of my grandparents, Abba, Sarah and Nachman, who also vanished into that night -- M.W.
They called him Moshe the Beadle, as though he had never had a surname in his life.
At about six o'clock in the evening, the first American tank stood at the gates of Buchenwald. Our first act as free men was to throw ourselves onto the provisions. We thought only of that. Not of revenge, not of our families. Nothing but bread. And even when we were no longer hungry, there was still no one who thought of revenge.
An incredible reaccounting of one boy's experience in the horrific hand's of the Nazi's in WWII. Elie Wiesl, a fourteen-year-old Jewish boy, is captured by the German Nazis and forced to do and experience unimaginable things. This story is unforgettable and heart-wrenching as we are able to zoom in and watch an innocent boy be mistreated and abused in the hands of the evil Nazis. Alhough terribly sad, this book sheds a light on some of the most horrific actions of man and is told in such a powerful way that a reader could not simply forget this story; that is why it made the top ten on my list.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0374500010, Paperback)

In Nobel laureate Elie Wiesel's memoir Night, a scholarly, pious teenager is wracked with guilt at having survived the horror of the Holocaust and the genocidal campaign that consumed his family. His memories of the nightmare world of the death camps present him with an intolerable question: how can the God he once so fervently believed in have allowed these monstrous events to occur? There are no easy answers in this harrowing book, which probes life's essential riddles with the lucid anguish only great literature achieves. It marks the crucial first step in Wiesel's lifelong project to bear witness for those who died.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:35 -0400)

Born in the town of Sighet, Transylvania, Elie Wiesel was a teenager when he and his family were taken from their home in 1944 to the Auschwitz concentration camp, and then to Buchenwald. [This book] is the terrifying record of Elie Wiesel's memories of the death of his family, the death of his own innocence, and his despair as a deeply observant Jew confronting the absolute evil of man.… (more)

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140189890, 0141038993

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,721,813 books! | Top bar: Always visible