Night (Oprah's Book Club) by Elie Wiesel

Night (Oprah's Book Club) (original 1955; edition 2006)

by Elie Wiesel

Member:golightly
Title:Night (Oprah's Book Club)
Authors:Elie Wiesel
Info:Hill and Wang (2006), Paperback, 144 pages

Night by Elie Wiesel (1955)

Tales From the House Behind by Anne Frank (avalon_today)
    avalon_today: Both based on true-life young adults; faced with great WWII horrors.
    Survival In Auschwitz by Primo Levi (ExVivre)
    Maus: A Survivor's Tale by Art Spiegelman (mcenroeucsb)
    The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas by John Boyne (PghDragonMan)
    Man's Search For Meaning by Viktor Frankl (bnbookgirl)
    Return to Auschwitz by Kitty Hart (CindyBytes)
    80629: A Mengele Experiment by Gene Church (CindyBytes)
    Fatelessness by Imre Kertész (chrisharpe)
    Ten rungs: Hasidic sayings by Martin Buber (Bill-once)
    The Cage by Ruth Minsky Sender (joririchardson)
    joririchardson: Both books are tragically moving stories of the Jewish Holocaust.
    Silence by Shūsaku Endō (cbl_tn)
    cbl_tn: Both books deal with a crisis of faith resulting from God's silence in the face of extreme suffering.

English (357)  Spanish (2)  French (1)  Greek (1)  Dutch (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (363)
Night by Elie Wiesel; (5*)

I knew that Elie Wiesel's Night was was not going to be a happy book. That is a given considering the subject matter. I was surprised at the total lack of optimism found within it though I find it understandable.
I have read many other Holocaust memoirs which end with an uplifting light and I think I was more surprised at those endings than this one.
The foreward makes it clear that this novel illustrates both the literal death and the death of faith in those interned in concentration camps. These people are forced through their extreme deprivation to live for no one but themselves because to do else is to hasten their own death.
The bleakness is so difficult to accept but it is reflective of the feelings experienced by the author. This book itself serves as the author's answer to experiences and reflections within it's covers. A chronicle of sorrow so deep it speaks for itself. Any explicit solace written for the reader would take away from the story and is not needed for it would take away from the experience of the book.
And though this is a chilling account of the Holocaust it is such an important little book. Children are reading this for school and I am so thankful that it is written in a manner which makes it easy for them to understand the memories being shared. It's all there. In fact I read this on the recommendation of my grandson who read it for a class. And though I have read many, many books on this subject matter, none were written as simplistically as Night. I think it is all the more powerful for that.

I highly recommended recommend this book. ( )
  rainpebble | May 24, 2015 |
This book would be good to read when taking about the holocaust or the importance of human life. I think students will appreciate this book of the unbelievable experiences that Elie goes through. ( )
  Kate_Schulte078 | Apr 30, 2015 |
Moishe the beadle; why didn't they listen to him? I loved this man and grieved that I'd never meet him this side of Paradise. ( )
  doloresjefferson | Apr 30, 2015 |
I have never read a book so heart wrenching, but so great all at once. There were parts where i felt as if i had to look away, the words were so powerful that they created vivid, gruesome images. Elie Wiesel's account of the events and his experience in Auschwitz should definitely be shared with readers. Again, historical empathy is created... readers aren't just told of the awful statistics of concentration camps, or shown pictures.. they are receiving first hand accounts and some of the most vivid imagery created... readers might be brought to tears, but Night is a must read. ( )
1 vote kitbraddick | Apr 20, 2015 |
This book was required to read for my 9th grade English class. Never thought that I was going to read such a great book like this.
“Never shall I forget that night, the first night in camp, which has turned my life into one long night, seven times cursed and seven times sealed....Never shall I forget those moments which murdered my God and my soul and turned my dreams to dust. Never shall I forget these things, even if I am condemned to live as long as God Himself. Never.” ( )
  yamayukkikun | Apr 16, 2015 |
[Wiesel's] slim volume of terrifying power is the documentary of a boy - himself- who survived the "Night" that destroyed his parents and baby sister, but lost his God.

Elie Wieselprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bláhová, AlenaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Brown, Robert McAfeePrefacesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mauriac, FrançoisForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rodway, StellaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wiesel, MarionTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In memory of my parents and of my little sister, Tzipora -- E.W.
This new translation in memory of my grandparents, Abba, Sarah and Nachman, who also vanished into that night -- M.W.
They called him Moshe the Beadle, as though he had never had a surname in his life.
At about six o'clock in the evening, the first American tank stood at the gates of Buchenwald. Our first act as free men was to throw ourselves onto the provisions. We thought only of that. Not of revenge, not of our families. Nothing but bread. And even when we were no longer hungry, there was still no one who thought of revenge.
An incredible reaccounting of one boy's experience in the horrific hand's of the Nazi's in WWII. Elie Wiesl, a fourteen-year-old Jewish boy, is captured by the German Nazis and forced to do and experience unimaginable things. This story is unforgettable and heart-wrenching as we are able to zoom in and watch an innocent boy be mistreated and abused in the hands of the evil Nazis. Alhough terribly sad, this book sheds a light on some of the most horrific actions of man and is told in such a powerful way that a reader could not simply forget this story; that is why it made the top ten on my list.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0374500010, Paperback)

In Nobel laureate Elie Wiesel's memoir Night, a scholarly, pious teenager is wracked with guilt at having survived the horror of the Holocaust and the genocidal campaign that consumed his family. His memories of the nightmare world of the death camps present him with an intolerable question: how can the God he once so fervently believed in have allowed these monstrous events to occur? There are no easy answers in this harrowing book, which probes life's essential riddles with the lucid anguish only great literature achieves. It marks the crucial first step in Wiesel's lifelong project to bear witness for those who died.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:14 -0400)

Born in the town of Sighet, Transylvania, Elie Wiesel was a teenager when he and his family were taken from their home in 1944 to the Auschwitz concentration camp, and then to Buchenwald. [This book] is the terrifying record of Elie Wiesel's memories of the death of his family, the death of his own innocence, and his despair as a deeply observant Jew confronting the absolute evil of man.… (more)

5 1972

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140189890, 0141038993

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,257,439 books! | Top bar: Always visible