Night (Oprah's Book Club) by Elie Wiesel

Night (Oprah's Book Club) (original 1955; edition 2006)

by Elie Wiesel

Member:golightly
Title:Night (Oprah's Book Club)
Authors:Elie Wiesel
Info:Hill and Wang (2006), Paperback, 144 pages

Night by Elie Wiesel (1955)

Tales From the House Behind by Anne Frank (avalon_today)
    avalon_today: Both based on true-life young adults; faced with great WWII horrors.
    Survival In Auschwitz by Primo Levi (ExVivre)
    Maus: A Survivor's Tale by Art Spiegelman (mcenroeucsb)
    The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas by John Boyne (PghDragonMan)
    Man's Search For Meaning by Viktor Frankl (bnbookgirl)
    Return to Auschwitz by Kitty Hart (CindyBytes)
    80629: A Mengele Experiment by Gene Church (CindyBytes)
    Fatelessness by Imre Kertész (chrisharpe)
    Ten rungs: Hasidic sayings by Martin Buber (Bill-once)
    The Cage by Ruth Minsky Sender (joririchardson)
    joririchardson: Both books are tragically moving stories of the Jewish Holocaust.
    Silence by Shūsaku Endō (cbl_tn)
    cbl_tn: Both books deal with a crisis of faith resulting from God's silence in the face of extreme suffering.

English (364)  Spanish (2)  French (1)  Greek (1)  Dutch (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (370)
Holocaust, concentration camps, father/son relationship,spirituality

How I could use this book:
*Study of Holocaust
*Students read from book and create questions to research and find answers to
*Compare this story to that of Anne Frank or another biography
*Compare this to a fictional novel of the same time
*Look for similar events past and present and discuss prevention, solutions, outcomes ( )
  tawnyao | Jul 24, 2015 |
Holocaust
Auschwitz
  josephla | Jul 19, 2015 |
A concisely written account of the horrors of Auschwitz and Buchenwald from the viewpoint of a teenage boy that survived the experience. Besides learning about the hardships suffered, Elie Wiesel gives us an idea what it was like to live it, we understand how this experience changed his feelings toward God, toward his father and actually, it changed everything. It puts a personal face and feeling on the horrible Holocaust.

I highly recommend this book. ( )
1 vote BellaFoxx | Jul 11, 2015 |
Wiesel recounts the horrors his family experienced during WWII and the Holocaust. Students are frustrated by the moments when they could have escaped, but did not. The retelling of the events allow us to experience what it must have been like. ( )
  Lynchd | Jul 6, 2015 |
Moshe the Beadle tried to warn the Jews of Sighet, but to no avail. Then came the spring of 1944...

... and our author and his family are subjected to the cruelties of Hitler's Nazi party. The harsh, unbelievably horrific nightmare that was the Holocaust is all too vividly told by Wiesel and he relates what happened to him. At one point, regarding Hitler, the author says, "I've got more faith in Hitler than in anyone else. He's the only one who's kept his promises, all his promises, to the Jewish people." This is a great book to read to try to understand the life of those in the concentration camps, how most prisoners died, and how the author survived. Hard to read, but important to remember. ( )
  Stahl-Ricco | Jun 15, 2015 |
[Wiesel's] slim volume of terrifying power is the documentary of a boy - himself- who survived the "Night" that destroyed his parents and baby sister, but lost his God.

Elie Wieselprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bláhová, AlenaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Brown, Robert McAfeePrefacesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mauriac, FrançoisForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rodway, StellaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wiesel, MarionTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In memory of my parents and of my little sister, Tzipora -- E.W.
This new translation in memory of my grandparents, Abba, Sarah and Nachman, who also vanished into that night -- M.W.
They called him Moshe the Beadle, as though he had never had a surname in his life.
At about six o'clock in the evening, the first American tank stood at the gates of Buchenwald. Our first act as free men was to throw ourselves onto the provisions. We thought only of that. Not of revenge, not of our families. Nothing but bread. And even when we were no longer hungry, there was still no one who thought of revenge.
An incredible reaccounting of one boy's experience in the horrific hand's of the Nazi's in WWII. Elie Wiesl, a fourteen-year-old Jewish boy, is captured by the German Nazis and forced to do and experience unimaginable things. This story is unforgettable and heart-wrenching as we are able to zoom in and watch an innocent boy be mistreated and abused in the hands of the evil Nazis. Alhough terribly sad, this book sheds a light on some of the most horrific actions of man and is told in such a powerful way that a reader could not simply forget this story; that is why it made the top ten on my list.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0374500010, Paperback)

In Nobel laureate Elie Wiesel's memoir Night, a scholarly, pious teenager is wracked with guilt at having survived the horror of the Holocaust and the genocidal campaign that consumed his family. His memories of the nightmare world of the death camps present him with an intolerable question: how can the God he once so fervently believed in have allowed these monstrous events to occur? There are no easy answers in this harrowing book, which probes life's essential riddles with the lucid anguish only great literature achieves. It marks the crucial first step in Wiesel's lifelong project to bear witness for those who died.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:35 -0400)

Born in the town of Sighet, Transylvania, Elie Wiesel was a teenager when he and his family were taken from their home in 1944 to the Auschwitz concentration camp, and then to Buchenwald. [This book] is the terrifying record of Elie Wiesel's memories of the death of his family, the death of his own innocence, and his despair as a deeply observant Jew confronting the absolute evil of man.… (more)

5 2008

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140189890, 0141038993

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,097,804 books! | Top bar: Always visible