Night by Elie Wiesel

Night (original 1958; edition 1982)

by Elie Wiesel

Member:reedy
Title:Night
Authors:Elie Wiesel
Info:Bantam (1982), Edition: Reissue, Mass Market Paperback

Night by Elie Wiesel (1958)

English (416)  Spanish (2)  Italian (2)  Greek (1)  French (1)  Norwegian (1)  Swedish (1)  Dutch (1)  All (425)
(9/10) This short memoir of the authors time in the ghetto and various concentration camps during WW2 is told very matter of factly. I suppose after seeing so much death it would be difficult for him to feel anything anymore, you just become numb to it.

An important book and one that should be widely read if only so we don't forget the brutality capable by mankind. ( )
  LiteraryReadaholic | Mar 8, 2017 |
What can I say that hasn't already been said? 5 stars. The version I listened to includes his Nobel Prize acceptance speech and a foreward written by the author. The narration by George Guidall was flawless. ( )
  janb37 | Feb 13, 2017 |
This is a great reading to go along with books like The Diary of Anne Frank, and the Book Thief. Another memoir/account of the Holocaust, this is a short read, which discusses very real and horrific experiences faced by Jews living in concentration camps during the Holocaust. This book covers what Anne Frank and the Book Thief do not- life within the concentration camps, rather than hiding from Nazis, or seeing the atrocities committed upon Jews. ( )
  alexishartline | Feb 5, 2017 |
Very sad, graphic, eye opening book, book. Important to have these books in publication, although pesonally I have a hard time reading them. It's so hard to imagine humanity so acceptably dark and cruel to one another, for no reason at all. THis book literally made me physically ill, that's how real it was, but that's how real it was. I read this book and all my probems turn to dust and all my complaints shrink to nothing. THis book is a ery quick read btw, finished it in a coulple hours, but very intense, stays with you long after your done reading. ( )
  JordanAshleyPerkins | Jan 26, 2017 |
This may not be the most eloquently written book about its subject, but it's one of the most powerful. It's a true story, Elie's story, written from an older child's point of view. It's like the Holocaust Museum in Washington DC, sparse and profoundly moving. This is a personal story, not an accounting of many things that happened during this unimaginable time in history. It's about what happened to this one child, from living comfortably with his family, through various stages of German mandates and control. We learn not only what happened but how it affected this child and others. This story is about one small piece of experience during the Holocaust, a haunting piece the reader won't soon forget. Anyone lucky enough to live through agonizingly inhuman events was forever scarred. Yes, maybe you know that but perhaps not in such a personal way. If you know any Holocaust survivors, give them all your love.

This small book can be read by anyone in a short time. It won't feel short when you finish the book. It will make you want to hug your kids and loved ones. It will make you thankful you live here now, not there then. Most of all it will give you new respect and understanding and much to think about. ( )
  Rascalstar | Jan 21, 2017 |

[Wiesel's] slim volume of terrifying power is the documentary of a boy - himself- who survived the "Night" that destroyed his parents and baby sister, but lost his God.

Elie Wieselprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bláhová, AlenaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Brown, Robert McAfeePrefacesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mauriac, FrançoisForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rodway, StellaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wiesel, MarionTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In memory of my parents and of my little sister, Tzipora -- E.W.
This new translation in memory of my grandparents, Abba, Sarah and Nachman, who also vanished into that night -- M.W.
They called him Moshe the Beadle, as though he had never had a surname in his life.
At about six o'clock in the evening, the first American tank stood at the gates of Buchenwald. Our first act as free men was to throw ourselves onto the provisions. We thought only of that. Not of revenge, not of our families. Nothing but bread. And even when we were no longer hungry, there was still no one who thought of revenge.
An incredible reaccounting of one boy's experience in the horrific hand's of the Nazi's in WWII. Elie Wiesl, a fourteen-year-old Jewish boy, is captured by the German Nazis and forced to do and experience unimaginable things. This story is unforgettable and heart-wrenching as we are able to zoom in and watch an innocent boy be mistreated and abused in the hands of the evil Nazis. Alhough terribly sad, this book sheds a light on some of the most horrific actions of man and is told in such a powerful way that a reader could not simply forget this story; that is why it made the top ten on my list.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0374500010, Paperback)

In Nobel laureate Elie Wiesel's memoir Night, a scholarly, pious teenager is wracked with guilt at having survived the horror of the Holocaust and the genocidal campaign that consumed his family. His memories of the nightmare world of the death camps present him with an intolerable question: how can the God he once so fervently believed in have allowed these monstrous events to occur? There are no easy answers in this harrowing book, which probes life's essential riddles with the lucid anguish only great literature achieves. It marks the crucial first step in Wiesel's lifelong project to bear witness for those who died.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:35 -0400)

Born in the town of Sighet, Transylvania, Elie Wiesel was a teenager when he and his family were taken from their home in 1944 to the Auschwitz concentration camp, and then to Buchenwald. [This book] is the terrifying record of Elie Wiesel's memories of the death of his family, the death of his own innocence, and his despair as a deeply observant Jew confronting the absolute evil of man.… (more)

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140189890, 0141038993

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,297,914 books! | Top bar: Always visible