Night by Elie Wiesel

Night (original 1958; edition 1982)

by Elie Wiesel

Member:reedy
Title:Night
Authors:Elie Wiesel
Info:Bantam (1982), Edition: Reissue, Mass Market Paperback

Night by Elie Wiesel (1958)

Tales from the House Behind by Anne Frank (avalon_today)
    avalon_today: Both based on true-life young adults; faced with great WWII horrors.
    Survival In Auschwitz by Primo Levi (ExVivre)
    Maus: A Survivor's Tale by Art Spiegelman (mcenroeucsb)
    Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor E. Frankl (bnbookgirl)
    The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas by John Boyne (PghDragonMan)
    Return to Auschwitz by Kitty Hart (CindyBytes)
    80629: A Mengele Experiment by Gene Church (CindyBytes)
    Fatelessness by Imre Kertész (chrisharpe)
    Ten rungs: Hasidic sayings by Martin Buber (Bill-once)
    The Cage by Ruth Minsky Sender (joririchardson)
    joririchardson: Both books are tragically moving stories of the Jewish Holocaust.
    Silence by Shūsaku Endō (cbl_tn)
    cbl_tn: Both books deal with a crisis of faith resulting from God's silence in the face of extreme suffering.

English (400)  Spanish (2)  French (1)  Greek (1)  Norwegian (1)  Swedish (1)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (408)
Elie Wiesel's recent death moved me to read this, finally. It's been on my shelf for a long long time. I can add very little to what's already been said about this remarkable memoir. That anyone could live through the horrors of Auschwitz and Buchenwald, survive and continue to live with the losses and memories of that time, and then write so beautifully about it is just staggering. At the age of 15, Eliezer Wiesel and his family were "evacuated" from their home village of Sighet in Transylvania into a long unimaginable nightmare. Having escaped the attention of the Nazis until the spring of 1944, the villagers were convinced that the war would be over soon, that the Russians were coming and would defeat Hitler's forces in a few weeks, that they would not be subjected to the fate of the foreign Jews who had been expelled the year before. In fact, when Moishe the Beadle miraculously escaped and returned to warn them, most refused to listen or believe the stories of what had happened to those deportees at the hands of the Gestapo. No, such things were not possible in the middle of the twentieth century! But the reality of ghettos, cattle cars, forced marches, near starvation, "selection" and crematoria awaited them.

"Never shall I forget that night, the first night in camp, that turned my life into one long night seven times sealed.
Never shall I forget that smoke.
Never shall I forget the small faces of the children whose bodies I saw transformed into smoke under a silent sky.
Never shall I forget those flames that consumed my faith forever.
Never shall I forget the nocturnal silence that deprived me for all eternity of the desire to live.
Never shall I forget those moments that murdered my God and my soul and turned my dreams to ashes.
Never shall I forget those things, even were I condemned to live as long as God Himself.
Never." ( )
2 vote laytonwoman3rd | Jul 17, 2016 |
Night by Elie Wiesel is a witness account of the holocaust. 16 year old Elie Wiesel and his family are removed from their village Sighet in Hungary. First to the ghetto, the deportation, the sealed cattle car. Then to Birchenwald where his family was divided between the crematoria and the workhouse blocks of Auschwitz.

A terrifying glimpse of what can happen again if we forget our past.
  Bettesbooks | Jul 7, 2016 |
I first read this book about 40 years ago and it has stayed with me ever since. On hearing of the passing of Elie Wiesel I decided it was time to drop what I was reading and read it again. As he says in his preface to the new edition, we all have a "moral obligation to try and prevent the enemy from enjoying one last victory by allowing his crimes to be erased from human memory."

Eliezer Wiesel sits with Anne Frank at the top of the list of must-read books about the holocaust. While Frank puts a human face on those who died, Wiesel, as one who witnessed and endured the horrors of the holocaust takes the stand and testifies with heartbreaking eloquence of all that he saw and suffered.

Much of Wiesel’s eloquence is in its brevity. In little more than 100 pages he dishes up one of the most powerful indictments of Hitler’s Final Solution ever written.

"'Men to the left! Women to the right!'
Eight words spoken quietly, indifferently, without emotion. Eight simple, short words.
Yet that was the moment I left my mother."

Wow. In 28 words he consigns over half his family to the crematorium. No emotion. No blubber. Yet nothing he could have said could have made the reader feel more keenly the horror of the event.

The part of his story that chills me the most is not the constant death but how easily the inmates’ tormenters were able to dehumanize them. What is worse; to kill a man or to turn him into someone who would kill his own father for a crust of bread? Yet Wiesel manages to remind us that even in the depths of Hell, there is room for a touch of the sublime.
"Those were my thoughts when I heard the sound of a violin. A violin in a dark barrack where the dead were piled on top of the living?

It had to be Juliek.

He was playing a fragment of a Beethoven concerto. Never before had I heard such a beautiful sound. In such silence.

I shall never forget Juliek. How could I forget this concert given before an audience of the dead and dying? Even today, when I hear that particular piece by Beethoven, my eyes close and out of the darkness emerges the pale and melancholy face of my Polish comrade bidding farewell to an audience of dying men."

The 2006 revision of the book includes a new preface by Wiesel and, at the end, the acceptance speech when he won the Nobel Peace Prize. In it he said"I swore never to be silent whenever and wherever human beings endure suffering and humiliation. We must take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Sometimes we must interfere."
Although Elie Wiesel is no longer with us, his words, his testimony, will live on. Jewish tradition teaches us that we are never really dead until there is no one who remembers us. Let us hope that Eliezer Wiesel stays with us for a long, long, time. ( )
1 vote Unkletom | Jul 7, 2016 |
The first time I read Anne Frank was in a middle school classroom at the behest of a semi-retired English teacher that was practically pickled in her ways. Students stuttered through paragraphs read aloud, giggled uncomfortably, and acted how you would probably presume a bunch of middle to upper class kids reading Anne Frank in a stuffy room of a private school would. The most talked about instance in the whole thing was our teacher's lecture to the prepubescent horde about how unfunny periods are.

To say the least, the might of the moment was bleached and tainted. However, when at home and free to read as pleased, I was beginning to realize that it was the first book I'd ever encountered that stirred up so much within me. So many questions, so much horror, fear, and sadness. Previously, books had moved me to humor or ideas... but all of that seemed pale because of this experience. As such, I've returned to this book many times. Hoping that it's voice might encourage my own, that I might hold onto a memory of a girl in hiding, that it might humble me and make me grateful.

It has, it does, and this continues with Night. There's no real critique to this review, just as there was no thought to critique while the book was being read. I feel that some books surpass the need for criticism, some are just voices that we should be grateful (and so, so humble) to hear. ( )
  lamotamant | Jun 23, 2016 |
Amazing book. Grim, detailed, and full of what life was like before the ghetto and the camps. When I'm in the mood to deal with it all, I'll read it again. ( )
  threadnsong | Jun 18, 2016 |
[Wiesel's] slim volume of terrifying power is the documentary of a boy - himself- who survived the "Night" that destroyed his parents and baby sister, but lost his God.

Elie Wieselprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bláhová, AlenaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Brown, Robert McAfeePrefacesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mauriac, FrançoisForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rodway, StellaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wiesel, MarionTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In memory of my parents and of my little sister, Tzipora -- E.W.
This new translation in memory of my grandparents, Abba, Sarah and Nachman, who also vanished into that night -- M.W.
They called him Moshe the Beadle, as though he had never had a surname in his life.
At about six o'clock in the evening, the first American tank stood at the gates of Buchenwald. Our first act as free men was to throw ourselves onto the provisions. We thought only of that. Not of revenge, not of our families. Nothing but bread. And even when we were no longer hungry, there was still no one who thought of revenge.
An incredible reaccounting of one boy's experience in the horrific hand's of the Nazi's in WWII. Elie Wiesl, a fourteen-year-old Jewish boy, is captured by the German Nazis and forced to do and experience unimaginable things. This story is unforgettable and heart-wrenching as we are able to zoom in and watch an innocent boy be mistreated and abused in the hands of the evil Nazis. Alhough terribly sad, this book sheds a light on some of the most horrific actions of man and is told in such a powerful way that a reader could not simply forget this story; that is why it made the top ten on my list.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0374500010, Paperback)

In Nobel laureate Elie Wiesel's memoir Night, a scholarly, pious teenager is wracked with guilt at having survived the horror of the Holocaust and the genocidal campaign that consumed his family. His memories of the nightmare world of the death camps present him with an intolerable question: how can the God he once so fervently believed in have allowed these monstrous events to occur? There are no easy answers in this harrowing book, which probes life's essential riddles with the lucid anguish only great literature achieves. It marks the crucial first step in Wiesel's lifelong project to bear witness for those who died.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:35 -0400)

Born in the town of Sighet, Transylvania, Elie Wiesel was a teenager when he and his family were taken from their home in 1944 to the Auschwitz concentration camp, and then to Buchenwald. [This book] is the terrifying record of Elie Wiesel's memories of the death of his family, the death of his own innocence, and his despair as a deeply observant Jew confronting the absolute evil of man.… (more)

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140189890, 0141038993

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,545,293 books! | Top bar: Always visible