Night by Elie Wiesel

Night (original 1955; edition 1982)

by Elie Wiesel

Authors:Elie Wiesel
Info:Bantam (1982), Edition: Reissue, Mass Market Paperback

Night by Elie Wiesel (1955)

Tales From the House Behind by Anne Frank (avalon_today)
    avalon_today: Both based on true-life young adults; faced with great WWII horrors.
    Survival In Auschwitz by Primo Levi (ExVivre)
    Maus: A Survivor's Tale by Art Spiegelman (mcenroeucsb)
    The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas by John Boyne (PghDragonMan)
    Man's Search For Meaning by Viktor Frankl (bnbookgirl)
    Return to Auschwitz by Kitty Hart (CindyBytes)
    80629: A Mengele Experiment by Gene Church (CindyBytes)
    Fatelessness by Imre Kertész (chrisharpe)
    Ten rungs: Hasidic sayings by Martin Buber (Bill-once)
    The Cage by Ruth Minsky Sender (joririchardson)
    joririchardson: Both books are tragically moving stories of the Jewish Holocaust.
    Silence by Shūsaku Endō (cbl_tn)
    cbl_tn: Both books deal with a crisis of faith resulting from God's silence in the face of extreme suffering.

English (370)  Spanish (2)  French (1)  Greek (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (377)
I could feel my mind, my heart, and my soul trying to refuse the reality of what I read here; trying to figure out how humanity could have allowed such tragedy to happen. You can read about the Holocaust in history books, but nothing is as poignant as this first hand account. There are no words to adequately describe what befell Wiesel and countless other Jews. ( )
  Kristymk18 | Nov 12, 2015 |
This heart-wrenching story is about Elie Wiesel, a 15 year old boy, who survives the impossible, and lives through a lifetime of aches and pains in a year. His family is torn apart and he is forced to become a man, find courage and persevere through the unbearable living conditions of a concentration camp in Nazi Germany. The details are painfully etched into the readers brain, and the sheer pain of each character causes the reader to swell and erupt. Elie brings the unspeakable to life and, as a reader, you feel the immense emotions of each character's hardships. I think this chapter book would be great for 8th graders learning about Nazi Germany and The Holocaust. I also think this would be an amazing book to read aloud and teach about tolerance and treating others with respect. ( )
  courtleighfish | Oct 21, 2015 |
Finished this short book in 2 days. Only because I was extremely busy-could not put it down.

It is a "have to read" book. ( )
  vanjr | Oct 4, 2015 |
Night by Elie Wiesel

Elie Wiesel was 15 years old in early 1944 when Hungarian authorities rounded up Jewish families in Sighet, Transylvania, and moved them into two new ghettos. In May, the Hungarians allowed the German army to empty these ghettos and move the Jews, among them Wiesel, his parents, and his three sisters, to Auschwitz-Birkenau. A year later, U.S. troops liberated the concentration camp at Buchenwald. Elie was the only family member still alive.

[Night] is Wiesel's short but justly famous account of his family's ordeal during the final 12 months of the war in Europe. He begins with his friendship with Moishe the Beadle, who was teaching him "the Zohar, the Kabbalistic works, the secrets of Jewish mysticism." One day, all the foreign Jews, Moishe included, were rounded up by the Hungarian police, herded into cattle cars, and shipped away. Amid the tears, Wiesel heard someone sigh, "What do you expect? That's war…" Within days, the deportees were forgotten.

Months later, Moishe the Beadle reappeared outside the synagogue. The train he was on crossed into Poland, he told people, and there the Gestapo took charge. The Jews were ordered off the train and trucked into a forest, where they were forced to dig trenches: their own graves. The Gestapo murdered them all. Moishe suffered a leg wound, but was left for dead. Upon his return to Sighet, Wiesel explains, Moishe went from family to family, telling his story and warning of the fate that awaited all Jews. "Even I did not believe him," Wiesel says. It was 1942.

In the spring of 1944, Wiesel reports, "The people were saying, 'The Red Army is advancing with giant strides…Hitler will not be able to harm us, even if he wants to…' " Shortly thereafter, all Sighet's Jews were entrained for Auschwitz. Once there, they were sorted—"Men to the left! Women to the right!" Wiesel saw his mother and sisters moving away from him and his father. "I didn't know that this was the moment in time and the place where I was leaving my mother…forever." But he was able to stay with his father. For months, they labored in a work camp, doing nothing productive, it seems, other than wearing themselves down. Eventually, the prisoners as well as the guards could hear cannon fire. The Russians were very near!

The German response was to move the prisoners west. On foot. Mid-winter. Snow falling heavily. All the prisoners lined up in ranks, cellblock by cellblock, awaiting their turn to march out of the camp; Wiesel and his father were in block 57. As they marched, the SS increased the pace; soon they were practically running. Anyone not sustaining the pace was shot. "Their fingers on the triggers, they did not deprive themselves of the pleasure. If one of us stopped for a second, a quick shot eliminated the filthy dog." Wiesel thought of himself. "I shivered with every step. Just a few more meters and it will be over. I'll fall. A small red flame…A shot…Death enveloped me, it suffocated me. It stuck to me like glue. I felt I could touch it." Only the presence of his father beside him prevented him from falling. "I had no right to let myself die. What would he do without me? I was his sole support."

The descent continued, even after reaching a new camp, Buchenwald. Wiesel's father was failing. "He had become childlike: weak, frightened, vulnerable." More and more, the son was feeling guilt: "I gave him what was left of my soup. But my heart was heavy. I was aware that I was doing it grudgingly." Then other prisoners turned against the old man; he couldn't "drag himself outside to relieve himself." A block leader, himself a prisoner, counselled the son: "In this place, it is every man for himself, and you cannot think of others. Not even your father. In this place, there is no such thing as father, brother, friend." One evening, an SS guard, enraged by the suffering father's moans, clubbed his head. By morning, he was dead and gone, a new prisoner in his place.

By early April 1945, the Allies were closing in on the camp. The SS ordered the camp's Jews into the Appelplatz, with plans to shoot them. But word was spread, and the prisoners defied the order. Confusion and defiance reigned. The camp's organized resistance emerged from "underground" to fight the guards with guns and grenades, driving them away. Within hours, the first U.S. Army tank rolled into camp. The prisoners were free. Elie Wiesel was 16.
  weird_O | Oct 3, 2015 |
@night +school ( )
  Lorem | Oct 2, 2015 |
[Wiesel's] slim volume of terrifying power is the documentary of a boy - himself- who survived the "Night" that destroyed his parents and baby sister, but lost his God.

Elie Wieselprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bláhová, AlenaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Brown, Robert McAfeePrefacesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mauriac, FrançoisForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rodway, StellaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wiesel, MarionTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In memory of my parents and of my little sister, Tzipora -- E.W.
This new translation in memory of my grandparents, Abba, Sarah and Nachman, who also vanished into that night -- M.W.
They called him Moshe the Beadle, as though he had never had a surname in his life.
At about six o'clock in the evening, the first American tank stood at the gates of Buchenwald. Our first act as free men was to throw ourselves onto the provisions. We thought only of that. Not of revenge, not of our families. Nothing but bread. And even when we were no longer hungry, there was still no one who thought of revenge.
An incredible reaccounting of one boy's experience in the horrific hand's of the Nazi's in WWII. Elie Wiesl, a fourteen-year-old Jewish boy, is captured by the German Nazis and forced to do and experience unimaginable things. This story is unforgettable and heart-wrenching as we are able to zoom in and watch an innocent boy be mistreated and abused in the hands of the evil Nazis. Alhough terribly sad, this book sheds a light on some of the most horrific actions of man and is told in such a powerful way that a reader could not simply forget this story; that is why it made the top ten on my list.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0374500010, Paperback)

In Nobel laureate Elie Wiesel's memoir Night, a scholarly, pious teenager is wracked with guilt at having survived the horror of the Holocaust and the genocidal campaign that consumed his family. His memories of the nightmare world of the death camps present him with an intolerable question: how can the God he once so fervently believed in have allowed these monstrous events to occur? There are no easy answers in this harrowing book, which probes life's essential riddles with the lucid anguish only great literature achieves. It marks the crucial first step in Wiesel's lifelong project to bear witness for those who died.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:35 -0400)

Born in the town of Sighet, Transylvania, Elie Wiesel was a teenager when he and his family were taken from their home in 1944 to the Auschwitz concentration camp, and then to Buchenwald. [This book] is the terrifying record of Elie Wiesel's memories of the death of his family, the death of his own innocence, and his despair as a deeply observant Jew confronting the absolute evil of man.… (more)

5 2035

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140189890, 0141038993

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,882,759 books! | Top bar: Always visible