Night by Elie Wiesel

Night (original 1955; edition 2006)

by Elie Wiesel, Marion Wiesel (Translator)

Member:laurabooks
Title:Night
Authors:Elie Wiesel
Other authors:Marion Wiesel (Translator)
Info:Hill and Wang (2006), Edition: Revised, Paperback, 120 pages
Rating:*****

Night by Elie Wiesel (1955)

Tales From the House Behind by Anne Frank (avalon_today)
    avalon_today: Both based on true-life young adults; faced with great WWII horrors.
    Survival In Auschwitz by Primo Levi (ExVivre)
    Maus: A Survivor's Tale by Art Spiegelman (mcenroeucsb)
    The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas by John Boyne (PghDragonMan)
    Return to Auschwitz by Kitty Hart (CindyBytes)
    Man's Search For Meaning by Viktor Frankl (bnbookgirl)
    80629: A Mengele Experiment by Gene Church (CindyBytes)
    Fatelessness by Imre Kertész (chrisharpe)
    Ten rungs: Hasidic sayings by Martin Buber (Bill-once)
    The Cage by Ruth Minsky Sender (joririchardson)
    joririchardson: Both books are tragically moving stories of the Jewish Holocaust.
    Silence by Shusaku Endo (cbl_tn)
    cbl_tn: Both books deal with a crisis of faith resulting from God's silence in the face of extreme suffering.

English (337)  Spanish (2)  French (1)  Greek (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (342)
Description from back of book

Night - a terrifying account of the Nazi death camp horror that turns a young Jewish boy into an agonized witness to the death of his family...the death of his innocence...and the death of his God. Penetrating and powerful, as personal as The Diary of Anne Frank, Night awakens the shocking memory of evil at its absolute and carries with it the unforgettable message that this horror must never be allowed to happen again.

My Comments

I'll say it right out. I don't like Holocaust books. Now it isn't that I don't think they're important, or anything like that. They just make me sick. They make me sick to my stomach and they make me ashamed to be human. I realize it is important to read and understand the horrors in our past, but this isn't something I like to do for fun. Once in a while, though, I think it's important to read one, so that's what I did. I also don't like reading books in translation. I always feel I'm missing the cadence of the original language, missing the beauty and poignancy that the original words brought to the text. But unfortunately it becomes a necessity since I don't speak anything other than English (fluently, anyway). These two reasons are why it gets four stars instead of five.

This book was powerful. It was sad, heartbreaking, and emotional despite (because of?) its Hemmingway-esque simplicity. The sadness, the bleakness, the utterly hopelessness conveyed in this book are utterly devastating, culminating in a young boy's complete loss of faith not only in humanity but in his God. A remarkable work, although very, very, very dark and depressing. But I guess that makes sense, as it's describing first hand one of the very very darkest points in human history. ( )
  sammii507 | Aug 19, 2014 |
I took this little book along with me to the dentist yesterday and managed to read more than half of it while I was there - in the waiting room and then in the chair between shots and drilling and pins and impressions. an apt choice for time at the dentist since it is so filled with pain and suffering. (There is even a segment here about an unscrupulous dentist in the camps who stole gold from his fellow prisoners' mouths.)

It is easy to see why Elie Wiesel's NIGHT has been in print in so many languages since 1958. It is a gripping and mesmerizing read about pain and loss and the importance of family ties. Wiesel's mother and sisters died early in the camps and ovens of the concentration camps, but he managed to keep his father with him until nearly the end. Wiesel himself was only sixteen when his final camp, Buchenwald, was finally liberated. (This after stays in Auschwitz and Birkenau.) His father died just a few scant months before, weakened unto death by a forced evacuation march in the dead of winter during the last months of the war in Europe.

Wiesel's tale of forced labor, brutal guards and Kapos, poor rations and starvation is stark and moving. I never read earlier edtions of NIGHT, but I suspect this new translation by his wife, Marion, is the most effective and affecting of any previous versions. If you are looking for a quick and dirty introduction to the horrors of the Holocaust, this little book from the winner of the Nobel Peace Prize is an excellent place to start. Highly recommended. ( )
1 vote TimBazzett | Aug 6, 2014 |
A riveting and haunting account of a child's encounter with evil writ large. Wiesel's memoir is an unsentimental, honest picture of what he endured. ( )
  lucybrown | Jun 17, 2014 |
  cavlibrary | Apr 13, 2014 |
This is an incredibly powerful book. There are many true accounts of concentration camps survivors, and they always move me, but Elie Wiesel made is tale so simple, crude, naked of complicated style figures or narrative complexities that make it much more powerful.

The things that hits me must about this book is not the horrors that happened and the knowledge of the cruelty of humanity, but that itchy feeling that stays inside may head, a little voice whispering to me that something like this could happen again, probably will. History is circular, a teacher of mine used to say, and we don't learn from our mistakes. ( )
  Hanneri | Mar 30, 2014 |
[Wiesel's] slim volume of terrifying power is the documentary of a boy - himself- who survived the "Night" that destroyed his parents and baby sister, but lost his God.

Elie Wieselprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bláhová, AlenaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Brown, Robert McAfeePrefacesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mauriac, FrançoisForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rodway, StellaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wiesel, MarionTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In memory of my parents and of my little sister, Tzipora -- E.W.
This new translation in memory of my grandparents, Abba, Sarah and Nachman, who also vanished into that night -- M.W.
They called him Moshe the Beadle, as though he had never had a surname in his life.
At about six o'clock in the evening, the first American tank stood at the gates of Buchenwald. Our first act as free men was to throw ourselves onto the provisions. We thought only of that. Not of revenge, not of our families. Nothing but bread. And even when we were no longer hungry, there was still no one who thought of revenge.
An incredible reaccounting of one boy's experience in the horrific hand's of the Nazi's in WWII. Elie Wiesl, a fourteen-year-old Jewish boy, is captured by the German Nazis and forced to do and experience unimaginable things. This story is unforgettable and heart-wrenching as we are able to zoom in and watch an innocent boy be mistreated and abused in the hands of the evil Nazis. Alhough terribly sad, this book sheds a light on some of the most horrific actions of man and is told in such a powerful way that a reader could not simply forget this story; that is why it made the top ten on my list.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0374500010, Paperback)

In Nobel laureate Elie Wiesel's memoir Night, a scholarly, pious teenager is wracked with guilt at having survived the horror of the Holocaust and the genocidal campaign that consumed his family. His memories of the nightmare world of the death camps present him with an intolerable question: how can the God he once so fervently believed in have allowed these monstrous events to occur? There are no easy answers in this harrowing book, which probes life's essential riddles with the lucid anguish only great literature achieves. It marks the crucial first step in Wiesel's lifelong project to bear witness for those who died.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:14 -0400)

Born in the town of Sighet, Transylvania, Elie Wiesel was a teenager when he and his family were taken from their home in 1944 to the Auschwitz concentration camp, and then to Buchenwald. [This book] is the terrifying record of Elie Wiesel's memories of the death of his family, the death of his own innocence, and his despair as a deeply observant Jew confronting the absolute evil of man.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140189890, 0141038993

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,331,629 books! | Top bar: Always visible