Night by Elie Wiesel

Night (original 1958; edition 2006)

by Elie Wiesel, Marion Wiesel (Translator)

Member:EBT1002
Title:Night
Authors:Elie Wiesel
Other authors:Marion Wiesel (Translator)
Info:Hill and Wang (2006), Edition: Revised, Paperback, 120 pages
Collections:Read in 2012
Rating:*****
Tags:Holocaust, memoir, survival

Night by Elie Wiesel (1958)

Tales from the House Behind by Anne Frank (avalon_today)
    avalon_today: Both based on true-life young adults; faced with great WWII horrors.
    Survival In Auschwitz by Primo Levi (ExVivre)
    Maus: A Survivor's Tale by Art Spiegelman (mcenroeucsb)
    Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor E. Frankl (bnbookgirl)
    The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne (PghDragonMan)
    Return to Auschwitz by Kitty Hart (CindyBytes)
    80629: A Mengele Experiment by Gene Church (CindyBytes)
    Fatelessness by Imre Kertész (chrisharpe)
    Ten rungs: Hasidic sayings by Martin Buber (Bill-once)
    The Cage by Ruth Minsky Sender (joririchardson)
    joririchardson: Both books are tragically moving stories of the Jewish Holocaust.
    Silence by Shūsaku Endō (cbl_tn)
    cbl_tn: Both books deal with a crisis of faith resulting from God's silence in the face of extreme suffering.

English (401)  Spanish (2)  Italian (2)  Greek (1)  French (1)  Norwegian (1)  Swedish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (410)
Wow! ( )
  JennysBookBag.com | Sep 28, 2016 |
This is yet another example of why I prefer to read fiction. Reality is so often ugly, and while I feel it is important to know and to remember, I really don't want the images in my head. ( )
  benandhil | Sep 28, 2016 |
The first time I read Anne Frank was in a middle school classroom at the behest of a semi-retired English teacher that was practically pickled in her ways. Students stuttered through paragraphs read aloud, giggled uncomfortably, and acted how you would probably presume a bunch of middle to upper class kids reading Anne Frank in a stuffy room of a private school would. The most talked about instance in the whole thing was our teacher's lecture to the prepubescent horde about how unfunny periods are.

To say the least, the might of the moment was bleached and tainted. However, when at home and free to read as pleased, I was beginning to realize that it was the first book I'd ever encountered that stirred up so much within me. So many questions, so much horror, fear, and sadness. Previously, books had moved me to humor or ideas... but all of that seemed pale because of this experience. As such, I've returned to this book many times. Hoping that it's voice might encourage my own, that I might hold onto a memory of a girl in hiding, that it might humble me and make me grateful.

It has, it does, and this continues with Night. There's no real critique to this review, just as there was no thought to critique while the book was being read. I feel that some books surpass the need for criticism, some are just voices that we should be grateful (and so, so humble) to hear. ( )
  lamotamant | Sep 22, 2016 |
Elie Wiesel's recent death moved me to read this, finally. It's been on my shelf for a long long time. I can add very little to what's already been said about this remarkable memoir. That anyone could live through the horrors of Auschwitz and Buchenwald, survive and continue to live with the losses and memories of that time, and then write so beautifully about it is just staggering. At the age of 15, Eliezer Wiesel and his family were "evacuated" from their home village of Sighet in Transylvania into a long unimaginable nightmare. Having escaped the attention of the Nazis until the spring of 1944, the villagers were convinced that the war would be over soon, that the Russians were coming and would defeat Hitler's forces in a few weeks, that they would not be subjected to the fate of the foreign Jews who had been expelled the year before. In fact, when Moishe the Beadle miraculously escaped and returned to warn them, most refused to listen or believe the stories of what had happened to those deportees at the hands of the Gestapo. No, such things were not possible in the middle of the twentieth century! But the reality of ghettos, cattle cars, forced marches, near starvation, "selection" and crematoria awaited them.

"Never shall I forget that night, the first night in camp, that turned my life into one long night seven times sealed.
Never shall I forget that smoke.
Never shall I forget the small faces of the children whose bodies I saw transformed into smoke under a silent sky.
Never shall I forget those flames that consumed my faith forever.
Never shall I forget the nocturnal silence that deprived me for all eternity of the desire to live.
Never shall I forget those moments that murdered my God and my soul and turned my dreams to ashes.
Never shall I forget those things, even were I condemned to live as long as God Himself.
Never." ( )
2 vote laytonwoman3rd | Jul 17, 2016 |
Night by Elie Wiesel is a witness account of the holocaust. 16 year old Elie Wiesel and his family are removed from their village Sighet in Hungary. First to the ghetto, the deportation, the sealed cattle car. Then to Birchenwald where his family was divided between the crematoria and the workhouse blocks of Auschwitz.

A terrifying glimpse of what can happen again if we forget our past.
  Bettesbooks | Jul 7, 2016 |
[Wiesel's] slim volume of terrifying power is the documentary of a boy - himself- who survived the "Night" that destroyed his parents and baby sister, but lost his God.

Elie Wieselprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bláhová, AlenaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Brown, Robert McAfeePrefacesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mauriac, FrançoisForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rodway, StellaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wiesel, MarionTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In memory of my parents and of my little sister, Tzipora -- E.W.
This new translation in memory of my grandparents, Abba, Sarah and Nachman, who also vanished into that night -- M.W.
They called him Moshe the Beadle, as though he had never had a surname in his life.
At about six o'clock in the evening, the first American tank stood at the gates of Buchenwald. Our first act as free men was to throw ourselves onto the provisions. We thought only of that. Not of revenge, not of our families. Nothing but bread. And even when we were no longer hungry, there was still no one who thought of revenge.
An incredible reaccounting of one boy's experience in the horrific hand's of the Nazi's in WWII. Elie Wiesl, a fourteen-year-old Jewish boy, is captured by the German Nazis and forced to do and experience unimaginable things. This story is unforgettable and heart-wrenching as we are able to zoom in and watch an innocent boy be mistreated and abused in the hands of the evil Nazis. Alhough terribly sad, this book sheds a light on some of the most horrific actions of man and is told in such a powerful way that a reader could not simply forget this story; that is why it made the top ten on my list.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0374500010, Paperback)

In Nobel laureate Elie Wiesel's memoir Night, a scholarly, pious teenager is wracked with guilt at having survived the horror of the Holocaust and the genocidal campaign that consumed his family. His memories of the nightmare world of the death camps present him with an intolerable question: how can the God he once so fervently believed in have allowed these monstrous events to occur? There are no easy answers in this harrowing book, which probes life's essential riddles with the lucid anguish only great literature achieves. It marks the crucial first step in Wiesel's lifelong project to bear witness for those who died.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:35 -0400)

Born in the town of Sighet, Transylvania, Elie Wiesel was a teenager when he and his family were taken from their home in 1944 to the Auschwitz concentration camp, and then to Buchenwald. [This book] is the terrifying record of Elie Wiesel's memories of the death of his family, the death of his own innocence, and his despair as a deeply observant Jew confronting the absolute evil of man.… (more)

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140189890, 0141038993

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,245,456 books! | Top bar: Always visible