Night by Elie Wiesel

Night (original 1958; edition 2006)

by Elie Wiesel, Marion Wiesel (Translator)

Member:EBT1002
Title:Night
Authors:Elie Wiesel
Other authors:Marion Wiesel (Translator)
Info:Hill and Wang (2006), Edition: Revised, Paperback, 120 pages
Collections:Read in 2012
Rating:*****
Tags:Holocaust, memoir, survival

Night by Elie Wiesel (1958)

Tales from the House Behind by Anne Frank (avalon_today)
    avalon_today: Both based on true-life young adults; faced with great WWII horrors.
    Survival In Auschwitz by Primo Levi (ExVivre)
    Maus: A Survivor's Tale by Art Spiegelman (mcenroeucsb)
    Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor E. Frankl (bnbookgirl)
    The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne (PghDragonMan)
    Return to Auschwitz by Kitty Hart (CindyBytes)
    80629: A Mengele Experiment by Gene Church (CindyBytes)
    Fatelessness by Imre Kertész (chrisharpe)
    Ten rungs: Hasidic sayings by Martin Buber (Bill-once)
    The Cage by Ruth Minsky Sender (joririchardson)
    joririchardson: Both books are tragically moving stories of the Jewish Holocaust.
    Silence by Shūsaku Endō (cbl_tn)
    cbl_tn: Both books deal with a crisis of faith resulting from God's silence in the face of extreme suffering.

English (413)  Spanish (2)  Italian (2)  Greek (1)  French (1)  Norwegian (1)  Swedish (1)  Dutch (1)  All (422)
This may not be the most eloquently written book about its subject, but it's one of the most powerful. It's a true story, Elie's story, written from an older child's point of view. It's like the Holocaust Museum in Washington DC, sparse and profoundly moving. This is a personal story, not an accounting of many things that happened during this unimaginable time in history. It's about what happened to this one child, from living comfortably with his family, through various stages of German mandates and control. We learn not only what happened but how it affected this child and others. This story is about one small piece of experience during the Holocaust, a haunting piece the reader won't soon forget. Anyone lucky enough to live through agonizingly inhuman events was forever scarred. Yes, maybe you know that but perhaps not in such a personal way. If you know any Holocaust survivors, give them all your love.

This small book can be read by anyone in a short time. It won't feel short when you finish the book. It will make you want to hug your kids and loved ones. It will make you thankful you live here now, not there then. Most of all it will give you new respect and understanding and much to think about. ( )
  Rascalstar | Jan 21, 2017 |
Quite an emotional book. It gives insight of what happened in the holocaust from a young boy's point of view. ( )
  ChimChim266 | Jan 16, 2017 |
There are no words for this book. Just read it. ( )
  kemilyh1988 | Jan 16, 2017 |
What is there to say about Night that has not already been said? It's one of those books that has been so widely read, about a period of history that is among the most documented, and that has received such high honors and acclaim that I suspect there isn't much I can add, except perhaps a few thoughts on my own experience.

Night was selected by my book group for our June read. Our wives (we're all men) give us a lot of flak because so many of our discussions tend to come back to war, and after reading this one, I'm not sure we're really going to break ground when we meet next month to discuss it. Sure, it's about the the Holocaust, about Wiesel's experience at Auschwitz and Buna and other camps, and the horrors that the Nazi's imposed as they stripped Jews of their humanity. But, still: World War II. Nazi's. It's not new ground.

And, yet, there's something here in Night that should never be forgotten. We live in comfortable times--even in spite of apparently volatile and strange politics, where a game show host cum faux billionaire with a penchant for jingoistic and inflammatory rhetoric can garner the nomination for president of the United States...and the only other choice Americans have is a woman with a tenuous relationship to truth but an easy willingness to sell her time and access to the highest bidders.

But none of that compares to the dark and in humane place that Germany took all of Europe and much of the world to in the 1940s. Yet, you can read all the histories, statistics, and maps, and none will give a picture of what it was to be a Jew in Hitler's "Final Solution" quite the same way that the personal accounts of the survivors will provide. Of those, Weisel's voice is vivid, economical, and potent. He tells his story with a parsimony that lends itself to someone who has spent innumerable hours reliving and retelling the events of his early teen years, from his home in Hungarian Transylvania in training to become a Jewish scholar, to collection and detention in the ghetto, to Auschwitz and...well.

Wiesel wastes no words in telling his story, leaving the reader to draw his own lessons and conclusions. The result was powerful, moving, poignant, and heart-wrenching. With precision and coldness, the Nazis stripped away the humanity from millions of innocents, Jews, gypsies and others found on the wrong side of Hitler's Final Solution. Wiesel does not concern himself with history, though; his story is personal, his own fight to survive and retain his humanity, to not betray his fellow man, his father, and himself. I couldn't put it down. It's not a pleasant tale, but perhaps we need to be reminded, regularly, lest we allow the inhumanity to slip in again. Perhaps no other generation in history has been as blessed, materially and otherwise, as mine, and yet, we have not become wiser for it, but only more entitled. ( )
  publiusdb | Jan 10, 2017 |
Wonderful little gem that i feel as if everyone has read but me! So simple, yet so powerful. As told by an actual victim of the Holocaust who endured unbelievable terror and loss first-hand at the hands of the Nazis as a young boy. His clear telling of it matter-of-factly is very cutting......it gives you pause in that..."& I thought i was having a bad day" kind of way. Everyone should read this, as unpleasant as the topic may be. ( )
  jeffome | Dec 29, 2016 |
[Wiesel's] slim volume of terrifying power is the documentary of a boy - himself- who survived the "Night" that destroyed his parents and baby sister, but lost his God.

Elie Wieselprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bláhová, AlenaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Brown, Robert McAfeePrefacesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mauriac, FrançoisForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rodway, StellaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wiesel, MarionTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In memory of my parents and of my little sister, Tzipora -- E.W.
This new translation in memory of my grandparents, Abba, Sarah and Nachman, who also vanished into that night -- M.W.
They called him Moshe the Beadle, as though he had never had a surname in his life.
At about six o'clock in the evening, the first American tank stood at the gates of Buchenwald. Our first act as free men was to throw ourselves onto the provisions. We thought only of that. Not of revenge, not of our families. Nothing but bread. And even when we were no longer hungry, there was still no one who thought of revenge.
An incredible reaccounting of one boy's experience in the horrific hand's of the Nazi's in WWII. Elie Wiesl, a fourteen-year-old Jewish boy, is captured by the German Nazis and forced to do and experience unimaginable things. This story is unforgettable and heart-wrenching as we are able to zoom in and watch an innocent boy be mistreated and abused in the hands of the evil Nazis. Alhough terribly sad, this book sheds a light on some of the most horrific actions of man and is told in such a powerful way that a reader could not simply forget this story; that is why it made the top ten on my list.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0374500010, Paperback)

In Nobel laureate Elie Wiesel's memoir Night, a scholarly, pious teenager is wracked with guilt at having survived the horror of the Holocaust and the genocidal campaign that consumed his family. His memories of the nightmare world of the death camps present him with an intolerable question: how can the God he once so fervently believed in have allowed these monstrous events to occur? There are no easy answers in this harrowing book, which probes life's essential riddles with the lucid anguish only great literature achieves. It marks the crucial first step in Wiesel's lifelong project to bear witness for those who died.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:35 -0400)

Born in the town of Sighet, Transylvania, Elie Wiesel was a teenager when he and his family were taken from their home in 1944 to the Auschwitz concentration camp, and then to Buchenwald. [This book] is the terrifying record of Elie Wiesel's memories of the death of his family, the death of his own innocence, and his despair as a deeply observant Jew confronting the absolute evil of man.… (more)

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140189890, 0141038993

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 111,781,478 books! | Top bar: Always visible