Night by Elie Wiesel

Night (original 1958; edition 2006)

by Elie Wiesel, Marion Wiesel (Translator)

Member:EBT1002
Title:Night
Authors:Elie Wiesel
Other authors:Marion Wiesel (Translator)
Info:Hill and Wang (2006), Edition: Revised, Paperback, 120 pages
Collections:Read in 2012
Rating:*****
Tags:Holocaust, memoir, survival

Night by Elie Wiesel (1958)

Recently added byccooney, Keelz09, private library, RachelLeah, garado, cjbranaman, memermorg, Revekka, zuroma, Juliasb
Legacy LibrariesEeva-Liisa Manner, Danilo Kiš
    Tales from the House Behind by Anne Frank (avalon_today)
    avalon_today: Both based on true-life young adults; faced with great WWII horrors.
    Survival In Auschwitz by Primo Levi (ExVivre)
    Maus: A Survivor's Tale by Art Spiegelman (mcenroeucsb)
    Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor E. Frankl (bnbookgirl)
    The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne (PghDragonMan)
    Return to Auschwitz by Kitty Hart (CindyBytes)
    80629: A Mengele Experiment by Gene Church (CindyBytes)
    Fatelessness by Imre Kertész (chrisharpe)
    Ten rungs: Hasidic sayings by Martin Buber (Bill-once)
    The Cage by Ruth Minsky Sender (joririchardson)
    joririchardson: Both books are tragically moving stories of the Jewish Holocaust.
    Silence by Shūsaku Endō (cbl_tn)
    cbl_tn: Both books deal with a crisis of faith resulting from God's silence in the face of extreme suffering.

English (407)  Spanish (2)  Italian (2)  Greek (1)  French (1)  Norwegian (1)  Swedish (1)  Dutch (1)  English (416)
Unimaginable, emotional, and detailed are some words that come to mind when thinking of this book. I do enjoy reading Holocaust novels because the Holocaust was an unbelievably horrific time period in our history, and a time, I believe, we should never ever forget. This novel was particularly special because it was a memoir. Although hard to read at times, Elie Wiesel did an incredible job crafting the memoir. I urge you to read this book only if you have the strength to do so. Extremely powerful, thought-provoking, and all-around indescribable. ( )
  agray18 | Nov 8, 2016 |
Night is unlike any other Holocaust book I have read. I am a student of history, and the majority of the 100 books I read each year are non-fictional, and most of those are history. I am especially interested in the Second World War, since my Father was a veteran of it, and of the Holocaust. I have read dozens of books about the Holocaust and have visited the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum many times. Most of what I have read and seen show the absolute horror of the Holocaust, along with the off-setting stories of faith and kindness. I have been fascinated by the juxtaposing. In Night, there is no juxtaposing, and Wiesel tells the raw story of what happened, as do other books, but in Night the anger, the unbridled and unrelenting and unforgiving anger of Wiesel is so strong it is palpable. He rallies, like Job, against G-d. And he is merciless in his depictions of those who are so merciless in the camps. He spares nothing in his descriptions of those who spared no-one. There are a few kind individuals mentioned, but most of the book is a condemnation of all those around him, and of his own very person. His father was beaten to death in the bunk adjacent to him, and he did nothing to prevent it. "His last word had been my name. He had called out to me and I had not answered." It is clear that the book is written to show the world all those who are guilty, explicitly or implicitly, in the murder of millions, but Wiesel counts himself among that number. A powerful lesson that we are all responsible. In his speech accepting the Nobel Peace Prize, Elie Wiesel said it succinctly, " There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest." ( )
  bjtimm | Nov 8, 2016 |
Read once in high school and once in college. Though it is one of the earliest and most well-known Holocaust memoirs, there are now many others that are equally good.
  JennyArch | Nov 8, 2016 |
It is difficult to digest this book. Many horrific memories were cramped into some 200 pages... I feel that even he tried to simplify the events in his writing... Talk about them without getting "too" emotional. That is where I got hooked. In real life, when people are fighting for survival, they do not dwell in emotions. They do whatever they have to do to live another day... If it means stealing food from your sick father.. So be it..

I made a mistake if starting this book late in the day and couldn't put it down till I finish (which was 3:30 am). I wish I finished it at a reasonable time to forget about the horror with daily nonsense. I was left alone in the nocturnal silence of human ignorance... ( )
  soontobefree | Nov 2, 2016 |
I refuse to rate this. How could I? How could I honestly sit and give a star rating to something like this. This is not something I'll forget quickly. Haunting might be a cliché term, but I don't think there's another that works here. I can't say I liked it; there is no "like" here. But am I glad I read it? Absolutely.
  bastardreading | Oct 12, 2016 |
[Wiesel's] slim volume of terrifying power is the documentary of a boy - himself- who survived the "Night" that destroyed his parents and baby sister, but lost his God.

Elie Wieselprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bláhová, AlenaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Brown, Robert McAfeePrefacesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mauriac, FrançoisForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rodway, StellaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wiesel, MarionTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In memory of my parents and of my little sister, Tzipora -- E.W.
This new translation in memory of my grandparents, Abba, Sarah and Nachman, who also vanished into that night -- M.W.
They called him Moshe the Beadle, as though he had never had a surname in his life.
At about six o'clock in the evening, the first American tank stood at the gates of Buchenwald. Our first act as free men was to throw ourselves onto the provisions. We thought only of that. Not of revenge, not of our families. Nothing but bread. And even when we were no longer hungry, there was still no one who thought of revenge.
An incredible reaccounting of one boy's experience in the horrific hand's of the Nazi's in WWII. Elie Wiesl, a fourteen-year-old Jewish boy, is captured by the German Nazis and forced to do and experience unimaginable things. This story is unforgettable and heart-wrenching as we are able to zoom in and watch an innocent boy be mistreated and abused in the hands of the evil Nazis. Alhough terribly sad, this book sheds a light on some of the most horrific actions of man and is told in such a powerful way that a reader could not simply forget this story; that is why it made the top ten on my list.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0374500010, Paperback)

In Nobel laureate Elie Wiesel's memoir Night, a scholarly, pious teenager is wracked with guilt at having survived the horror of the Holocaust and the genocidal campaign that consumed his family. His memories of the nightmare world of the death camps present him with an intolerable question: how can the God he once so fervently believed in have allowed these monstrous events to occur? There are no easy answers in this harrowing book, which probes life's essential riddles with the lucid anguish only great literature achieves. It marks the crucial first step in Wiesel's lifelong project to bear witness for those who died.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:35 -0400)

Born in the town of Sighet, Transylvania, Elie Wiesel was a teenager when he and his family were taken from their home in 1944 to the Auschwitz concentration camp, and then to Buchenwald. [This book] is the terrifying record of Elie Wiesel's memories of the death of his family, the death of his own innocence, and his despair as a deeply observant Jew confronting the absolute evil of man.… (more)

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140189890, 0141038993

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,657,472 books! | Top bar: Always visible