Night by Elie Wiesel

Night (original 1958; edition 2006)

by Elie Wiesel, Marion Wiesel (Translator)

Member:Hanso
Title:Night
Authors:Elie Wiesel
Other authors:Marion Wiesel (Translator)
Info:Hill and Wang (2006), Edition: Revised, Paperback, 120 pages

Night by Elie Wiesel (1958)

Tales from the House Behind by Anne Frank (avalon_today)
    avalon_today: Both based on true-life young adults; faced with great WWII horrors.
    Survival In Auschwitz by Primo Levi (ExVivre)
    Maus: A Survivor's Tale by Art Spiegelman (mcenroeucsb)
    Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor E. Frankl (bnbookgirl)
    The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas by John Boyne (PghDragonMan)
    Return to Auschwitz by Kitty Hart (CindyBytes)
    80629: A Mengele Experiment by Gene Church (CindyBytes)
    Fatelessness by Imre Kertész (chrisharpe)
    Ten rungs: Hasidic sayings by Martin Buber (Bill-once)
    The Cage by Ruth Minsky Sender (joririchardson)
    joririchardson: Both books are tragically moving stories of the Jewish Holocaust.
    Silence by Shūsaku Endō (cbl_tn)
    cbl_tn: Both books deal with a crisis of faith resulting from God's silence in the face of extreme suffering.

English (396)  Spanish (2)  French (1)  Greek (1)  Norwegian (1)  Swedish (1)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (404)
In this book, Elie Wiesel shares his story of the Nazis taking over and forcing the Jews to live in Ghettos and later forced from the Ghettos into concentration camps. He recounts these horrific events with such clarity. He discusses how he felt throughout the different transitions from ghettos to concentration camps to the death march. He was not always proud of his thoughts or even some of his actions, and he even began to doubt his faith in God. This is an excellent read for anyone interested in gaining a different perspective on the Holocaust. ( )
  Kay_Downing | Apr 28, 2016 |
This book would be great for showing student another perspective on the holocaust and what it was like to go through as a child. The student can try to relate to how they would handle the situation if it were to happen now.
  whitneyosborne | Apr 25, 2016 |
Hard to read, but fast to read. My 9th grader read this a couple of months ago, and I wish I had read it at the same time--I did not realize how quick it would be. He (who hates to read) now has no interest in discussing it since the unit is over. Argh.

The intro to the new (2006) translation is especially excellent. ( )
  Dreesie | Apr 12, 2016 |
A must read for anyone interested in the Holocaust. ( )
  evamat72 | Mar 31, 2016 |
I've been re-reading this book since I first stumbled across it in 5th grade. For being so small it's a painful read that packs an emotional punch. However hard it is to read, it's an absolutely essential Holocaust memoir, one that needs to be read, re-read, and taught for generations to come so we don't forget the brutal past. Heartbreaking, numbingly painful, and humbling; this book is educational and emotional. A must read for all, especially with the racism and bigotry rampant in this country. ( )
  ecataldi | Mar 30, 2016 |
[Wiesel's] slim volume of terrifying power is the documentary of a boy - himself- who survived the "Night" that destroyed his parents and baby sister, but lost his God.

Elie Wieselprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bláhová, AlenaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Brown, Robert McAfeePrefacesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mauriac, FrançoisForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rodway, StellaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wiesel, MarionTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In memory of my parents and of my little sister, Tzipora -- E.W.
This new translation in memory of my grandparents, Abba, Sarah and Nachman, who also vanished into that night -- M.W.
They called him Moshe the Beadle, as though he had never had a surname in his life.
At about six o'clock in the evening, the first American tank stood at the gates of Buchenwald. Our first act as free men was to throw ourselves onto the provisions. We thought only of that. Not of revenge, not of our families. Nothing but bread. And even when we were no longer hungry, there was still no one who thought of revenge.
An incredible reaccounting of one boy's experience in the horrific hand's of the Nazi's in WWII. Elie Wiesl, a fourteen-year-old Jewish boy, is captured by the German Nazis and forced to do and experience unimaginable things. This story is unforgettable and heart-wrenching as we are able to zoom in and watch an innocent boy be mistreated and abused in the hands of the evil Nazis. Alhough terribly sad, this book sheds a light on some of the most horrific actions of man and is told in such a powerful way that a reader could not simply forget this story; that is why it made the top ten on my list.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0374500010, Paperback)

In Nobel laureate Elie Wiesel's memoir Night, a scholarly, pious teenager is wracked with guilt at having survived the horror of the Holocaust and the genocidal campaign that consumed his family. His memories of the nightmare world of the death camps present him with an intolerable question: how can the God he once so fervently believed in have allowed these monstrous events to occur? There are no easy answers in this harrowing book, which probes life's essential riddles with the lucid anguish only great literature achieves. It marks the crucial first step in Wiesel's lifelong project to bear witness for those who died.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:35 -0400)

Born in the town of Sighet, Transylvania, Elie Wiesel was a teenager when he and his family were taken from their home in 1944 to the Auschwitz concentration camp, and then to Buchenwald. [This book] is the terrifying record of Elie Wiesel's memories of the death of his family, the death of his own innocence, and his despair as a deeply observant Jew confronting the absolute evil of man.… (more)

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140189890, 0141038993

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 43 books! | Top bar: Always visible