The Purple Balloon by Chris Raschka

The Purple Balloon

by Chris Raschka

The Purple Balloon was such an authentic read. I loved the text used, as it's very much true how a young child's voice. Dying comes in many forms and all too often - we are faced with old and young who leave us. Author Chris Raschka paints a unique and kind picture of all the many ways we can support each other as we grieve. ( )
  NDeBlieux | Apr 25, 2019 |
This book made me cry. I absolutely know how this book could help children to cope with death on many different levels. It is to the point but also holds back in a way because it talks about the comfort and love that people have for each other when they are experiencing the loss of a loved one. This book would be a great tool to have on hand whenever you have a student struggling with the loss of a loved one or is having to deal with a loved one going through Hospice or on their death bed. I am happy I read this book, and I will keep it in my mind as a tool to use in the future. ( )
  oleger | Apr 25, 2019 |
Raschka's book is great for children who have experienced death. It makes no difference whether it is the first death they are experiencing or not. It gives a great message that death will happen and no one goes through it alone. The comforting message really will help the reader deal with such a tragic experience. Personally, I did not deal with death as a child that I remember but if I would have, I would want someone to read this to me. The message is very comforting and I truly enjoy the way Raschka goes about both writing and illustrating throughout the book. ( )
  GrantHebert | Feb 4, 2019 |
I chose this book off of the shelf at random the morning we went over our novel, "Hana's Suitcase" and it felt like some form of literal poetic justice. It centered around the idea of death and how hard it can be to lose a loved one. The book addresses how it is hard for everyone, from the family and friends to the hospice nurses and doctors. The book goes on to say how death is hard when it's someone older, but it is even harder when it happens to someone younger. It shows the balloons all comforting one another by giving hugs, empathy, and crying together. The book concludes with a powerful message for young readers, "Good help makes dying less hard. Good Help makes leaving easier." Just the importance of being there for your friends who have lost someone in their life is so crucial and I felt that this book did a good job of showing this lesson without pressing too deeply into the sensitive territory that is death. ( )
  Noahedels | Nov 15, 2018 |
In this simple and meaningful book, the author explains that dying is a difficult thing to handle. I think the concept of the purple balloon was chosen to make the concept of dying an easier for children. Death is not an easy thing at all, and it becomes harder when the person who died was young. This is an interesting book because it talks about dying and how to help those who have lost a loved one. I loved the idea that the characters are balloons because I think children will be more interested than if the characters in the book were actual people. This book is a really good choice to teach kids about death in a positive way. ( )
  aalhomed | Dec 4, 2017 |

When a child becomes aware of his pending death (children tend to know long before the rest of us even want to consider it), and is given the opportunity to draw his feelings, he will often draw a blue or purple balloon, released and unencumbered, on its way upward. Health-care professionals have discovered that this is true, regardless of a child's cultural or religious background and researchers believe that this is symbolic of the child's innate knowledge that a part of them will live forever. . . .

In disarmingly simple and direct language, accompanied by evocative potato print illustrations, Raschka in conjunction with Children's Hospice International (CHI), creates a moving, sensitive book that is also a phenomenally useful tool to talk about death. The message of the book is clear: talking about dying is hard, dying is harder, but there are many people in your life who can help.

Children's Hospice International (CHI), a nonprofit organization founded in 1983, is paving the way for the establishment of children's hospice and related services worldwide.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:37 -0400)

Easy-to-read text reveals that dying is hard work, for the old and especially the young, and how good it is that so many people help when a person dies, from medical staff to clergy and friends to family members.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,392,378 books! | Top bar: Always visible