The Purple Balloon by Chris Raschka

The Purple Balloon

by Chris Raschka

This was an interesting book because it talked about dying and how to help those who have lost a loved one or how to simply get over the grief of losing someone. The illustrations depicted people but in abstract forms as balloons. A good book to teach kids about death in a positive way. ( )
  TeresaCruz | Nov 10, 2014 |
This beautiful book took me by surprise, and I think it is a mild and sensitive resource to approach a sensitive topic. ( )
  jcarroll12 | Jul 22, 2014 |
This book was first brought to my attention in a class where the teacher read this beautiful illustrated, yet simplistic book about dying. It was not until recently after my family experienced a death of a young loved one that I decided to revisit this book. Chris Raschka takes such a hard topic that we all struggle to deal with and gave both me and my young child a way of seeing that others are there who wish to help and make thing easier for us. ( )
  KMClark | Jul 17, 2014 |
Death is a part of life. It is hard to talk about, but having family and friends close can make it easier.

Death is a hard subject for all ages. With grace and beauty, Chris Raschka uses balloons as the characters to confront the difficult topic. Raschka used potatoes as stamps to create the bright and colorful illustrations. ( )
  lbblackwell | Jul 12, 2014 |
Raschka sensitively imbues hope to young readers who might be dealing with a terminally ill loved one. To be used one-one-one, or perhaps in a class with proper preparation. Offers practical age-appropriate suggestions for helping someone with the tending to the needs of the dying. Bittersweet. Necessary and tactfully offered as a labor of love ( )
  Desirichter | Jul 3, 2014 |

When a child becomes aware of his pending death (children tend to know long before the rest of us even want to consider it), and is given the opportunity to draw his feelings, he will often draw a blue or purple balloon, released and unencumbered, on its way upward. Health-care professionals have discovered that this is true, regardless of a child's cultural or religious background and researchers believe that this is symbolic of the child's innate knowledge that a part of them will live forever. . . .

In disarmingly simple and direct language, accompanied by evocative potato print illustrations, Raschka in conjunction with Children's Hospice International (CHI), creates a moving, sensitive book that is also a phenomenally useful tool to talk about death. The message of the book is clear: talking about dying is hard, dying is harder, but there are many people in your life who can help.

Children's Hospice International (CHI), a nonprofit organization founded in 1983, is paving the way for the establishment of children's hospice and related services worldwide.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:46:05 -0400)

Easy-to-read text reveals that dying is hard work, for the old and especially the young, and how good it is that so many people help when a person dies, from medical staff to clergy and friends to family members.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,962,956 books! | Top bar: Always visible