Bellwether by Connie Willis

Bellwether (original 1996; edition 1997)

by Connie Willis

2,057823,234 (4)154
Member:klpm
Title:Bellwether
Authors:Connie Willis
Info:Spectra (1997), Mass Market Paperback, 247 pages
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:fiction, science fiction

Bellwether by Connie Willis (1996)

Doomsday Book by Connie Willis (Kichererbse)
    So Yesterday by Scott Westerfeld (mzonderm)
    mzonderm: Both books are interesting commentaries on how fads get started.
    PopCo by Scarlett Thomas (shelfoflisa)

English (79)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (82)
A very different type of science fiction. On one hand you have chaos theory and on the other hand you have fads. Each chapter starts with a description of a fad (and its life span). You have the typical idiocracy of management and you have a sheep. What more could you want in a light read. ( )
  Patty6508 | Jul 10, 2016 |
Only Humboldt (Nancy Pearl says it's a 'sweet intelligent love story')
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 5, 2016 |
Bellweather - Connie Willis
audio performance by Kate Reading

4 stars

Chaos theory, popular culture and romantic comedy; shaken, not stirred. This was a fun book.
Sandra Foster is studying fads to determine how they begin. This allows the author to preface each brief chapter with fun historical fad facts. Bennett O’Reilly is a chaos theorist investigating group behavior in monkeys, until he loses his funding. ( Sheep, it seems, are cheaper.) Both of these eager scientists work within the Dilbertian confines of the corporation, HiTek. Anyone who has ever suffered through inane staff development meetings will appreciate this one. I laughed out loud. And unlike Connie Willis’ longer books, this one did not annoy me with unnecessary repetition. Kate Reading did a great job of delivering the satire and the slapstick comedy.
  msjudy | May 30, 2016 |
Willis is quickly becoming one of my favorites- consistently clever, adept at the same sort of sneaky set-ups that remind me of Pratchett at his best, intricately yet unobtrusive plotting. This one was fun, quick, perfect vacation reading. ( )
  Suzi.Rogers.Gruber | May 3, 2016 |
Willis' apt observations of fads, crowds, and group behavior were spot-on. I laughed so hard I almost wet myself. Then I felt a little guilty because I was being snobby and feeling superior to all those "sheep" who follow fads. Then I laughed at myself because I am guilty of following fads, too (Rachel haircut, anyone?). Hilarious. ( )
  memccauley6 | May 3, 2016 |

Connie Willisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Jensen, BruceCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Reading, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Brothers, sisters, husbands, wives--
Follwed the Piper for their lives.
From street to street he piped advancing,
And step by step they followed dancing.
robert browning
To John
From Abigail

"Yours--yours--yours--"
It's almost impossible to pinpoint the beginning of a fad.
"Do you like po-mo pink?" I asked her.
She sighed. "It's the boss color for fall."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553562967, Mass Market Paperback)

A sociologist who studies fads and a chaos theorist are brought together by a strange misdelivered package. This book has all the wit and clever writing that characterized Willis' earlier Hugo and Nebula Award-winning Doomsday Book.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:06 -0400)

A romantic comedy on two scientists using the chaos theory to predict fads in our society. They are Sandra and Bennet, working on the premise that a tiny action like the flap of a butterfly's wings in Arizona has an impact on the whole world, perhaps resulting in a hurricane in China. The couple's work on fad-diffusion produces comic as well as tragic results.… (more)

82 wanted2 pay5 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,589,376 books! | Top bar: Always visible