The Parting Glass by Emilie Richards

The Parting Glass

by Emilie Richards

Sequel to Whiskey Island, I liked this one better. Continues in the story of the three sisters, with throwback's to the grandfather's life during the prohibition. At the urging of a distant relative, Peggy with her autistic toddler, Kiernan, goes to Ireland to care for Irene. She hopes that being able to devote more time to Kiernan will help, as she discovers a widower and his surviving daughter - and love. Megan has married Niccolo, and they have their own crisis', including the Whiskey Island Saloon being hit by a tornado, and being rebuilt, plus finding her grandfather's family's bootlegging tunnel. ( )
  nancynova | May 28, 2016 |
I did not realize until reading some of the other reviews that this book is a sequel. It's easy to enjoy as a stand alone novel. This is my second read of a title by Emilie Richards and definitely an author that I'm glad to have discovered. The author has a lovely way of incorporating multiple story lines - a family of Irish heritage learning more of their genealogy both in Ireland and in the United States, the emotions of daily life from learning of a child's autism to a spouse/parent's grief in losing loved ones to caring for an elderly family member and that's only naming a few. It's one of those books that I couldn't wait to join the characters each day and yet in another way I didn't want their stories to come to an end. ( )
  Corduroy7 | Aug 6, 2014 |
An enjoyable book of three Irish-American sisters, each with their own trials and victories. The sisters and the others in the story are nicely drawn, but I was a little confused from time to time when the story jumped generations. ( )
  wareagle78 | Jan 26, 2014 |
This book is about three sisters from Cleveland. The family business is a saloon/restaurant that has been in business since the early 1900's. The family is Irish. One of the sisters is a single mom to an autistic toddler. She moves to Ireland to act as an in-home caregiver to a newly discovered relative, a job that will allow her to spend significant time teaching her son. While there she meets a handsome widower. Another sister runs the saloon and at the beginning of the book the saloon burns durin her wedding reception--she married a former priest. The book not only talks about their lives today, but also about the ancestors they share and their stories. It had a happy ending, maybe almost too happy, but I like to be left smiling ( )
  ruthjoec | Sep 16, 2008 |
This book continues with the lives of the Donaghue sisters which began in Whiskey Island and I am glad I read that one first. This takes place a couple of years later as Megan and Peggy struggle with significant relationships in their lives. There is again a mystery which involves looking at family history during prohibition. At one point I thought that it wasn't as good. Then it picked up again. One of the things that I liked about both books was the integration of family relationships, mystery and history. I can also see the impact of Richard's experience as a family counselor. That adds a little more interest for me in the insights the characters have and the paths they follow. I enjoy Richards writing and her ability to pull one into the story. ( )
  jour149 | Feb 10, 2008 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0778320472, Mass Market Paperback)

- Whiskey Island (Mira Books, 6/00) achieved a 53% NSR.
- Iron Lace (Mira Books, republished 9/01) had a 54% NSR.
- Fox River (Mira Books, 6/01) spent two weeks on the USA Today bestseller list and also received a starred review from Publishers Weekly, which called the book ..".a spirited tale of family tragedy, friendship and love."
- Fox River achieved a 51% NSR.
- Emilie is a Rita Award winner.
- There are over 14 million copies of Emilie Richards' books in print worldwide.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:59 -0400)

Sisters Megan, Casey, and Peggy Donaghue find their lives changed when a letter arrives from a distant relative in Ireland, which sets in motion a chain of events that leads them all on a remarkable journey of self discovery.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,486,026 books! | Top bar: Always visible