Tracking trash : flotsam, jetsam, and the…

Tracking trash : flotsam, jetsam, and the science of ocean motion (edition 2007)

by Loree Griffin Burns

Member:kathryn123
Title:Tracking trash : flotsam, jetsam, and the science of ocean motion
Authors:Loree Griffin Burns
Info:Boston : Houghton Mifflin, 2007.
Rating:*1/2
Tags:science

Tracking Trash: Flotsam, Jetsam, and the Science of Ocean Motion by Loree Griffin Burns

This was a really interesting book about ocean currents called gyres (jirz)and how objects travel. I didn't realize so many containers are lost at sea from ships until I read this book. The information about the Eastern Garbage Patch should be shared in all classrooms. Maybe it will cause people to think about what kinds of plastic they use every day. The book also contains a Glossary, websites and books to explore, and Notes. Definitely a must have for classrooms. ( )
  SuPendleton | Jul 10, 2014 |
Reading Level: Primary or Secondary
Genre: Nonfiction - Informational

Summary: This book describes how currents are made in the ocean, what gyres are, items that have been spilled in the ocean, and what scientists are doing to track the debris and trying to stop it from happening. This book shows how humans dropping debris in the ocean has changed the environment. It has made it unsafe for some animals and has affected the beaches and gyres that are collecting all the debris.
  rdg301library | May 28, 2014 |
A very informative book that illustrates how creative a scientific mind can be. By tracking trash in our oceans we can learn how the waters circulate. If we know this then we can predict where the trash might end up. Ghost nets are a scary concept but they are being found, tracked, and removed using our understanding of ocean currents. It's a very interesting and accessible book for young readers. Not really a read aloud type of book. I'd say it would be good for 4th graders on up.
  Shermens | Dec 2, 2013 |
So cool that his mother brought him the idea behind following the trash. What an amazing way to find a purpose in life and a goal to achieve. A really great and interesting story about pollution. I have never even thought about where the pollution in the ocean may end up. Eye opening! ( )
  jewolf | Nov 26, 2013 |
This book was so interesting! I love that the reasoning behind his experimentation is because of his mom. I would definitely use this book in my future classroom. ( )
  aalkurd | Nov 22, 2013 |
To Mr. James Micarelli, teacher of science and other truly important things
Benjamin Franklin, the famous inventor and patriot, was one of America's earliest ocean scientists.
There is no organism anywhere on the planet that can digest plastic.

Aided by an army of beachcombers, oceanographer Dr. Curtis Ebbesmeyer tracks trash in the name of science. From sneakers to hockey gloves, Curt monitors the watery fate of human-made cargo that has spilled into the ocean. The information he collects is much more than casual news; it is important scientific data. And with careful analysis, Curt, along with a community of scientists, friends, and beachcombers alike, is using his data to understand and protect our ocean.

In engaging text and unforgettable images, readers meet the woman who started it all (Curt’s mother!), the computer program that makes sense of his data (nicknamed OSCURS), and several scientists, both on land and on the sea, who are using Curt’s discoveries to preserve delicate marine habitats and protect the creatures who live in them.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:29 -0400)

Describes the work of a man who tracks trash as it travels great distances by way of ocean currents.

Loree Griffin Burns is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,677,509 books! | Top bar: Always visible