The Suicide King (Buffy the Vampire Slayer)…

I picked this book up off a clearance rack in a local book store, and since it was so cheap I didn't even bother to really look it over very much. I'm a huge Buffy fan and read the novelizations every time I can find one cheaply (they're a bit harder to come by these days), so I was happy to find one I hadn't seen before. I didn't realize until I brought it home and looked at it that it was a choose your own adventure-type story. I was skeptical at first, but The Suicide King is actually a decent read and adequately suited to the format.

Robert Joseph Levy's strongest points are in accurately portraying the characters -- they are very true to their in-show personalities, and there is plenty of appropriate humor and dialogue that honestly made me feel like I was reading an early episode. So I enjoyed that aspect of it. I also thought the plot was interesting and true to the style of early Buffy episodes: a sinister demon appears that infects the minds of Sunnydale residents and forces them to commit suicide, feeding off of their despair. Opposing forces seeking to either destroy the demon or allow him to take a corporeal form also arrive, adding an additional layer of complexity for the slayer and her friends.

There is a standard distribution of possible endings in this short book: most are "bad" endings. You (Buffy) die, one of your friends are injured, etc. There are two "happy" endings where basically everything works out for the best, and a couple of "ehhh" endings where no one important dies necessarily but things are still pretty dark.

All in all, aside from being pretty basic and repetitive (many of the paths are circular and give the impression of it being kinda pointless to choose several options as they lead you back to the other option's page almost immediately) it's a decent book, a decent story, and a reasonably entertaining entry in the stacks of Buffy the Vampire Slayer books. ( )
  vombatiformes | Apr 8, 2014 |
i hestitated a while before buying any of this series because i'm not really a fan of "choose your own adventure" type books--i think the author is not really writing a "true" (to his soul) type of story if he doesn't tell it "his" way--almost like a cop-out--but then again--there is the buffy-factor--so i bought--so i read. And it lived up to my expectations. That being said it was a quick read and the other book i've read (so far) by this author (Go Ask Malice) i loved--so with that qualifier--not that bad... ( )
  rampaginglibrarian | Jul 9, 2006 |

Set in the days when Buffy and her fellow slayers were students in Sunnyvale High, the school is plagued by a rash of suicides caused by an ancient threat called the Suicide King. Buffy and her associates race against time to defeat this problem. The reader can choose how the plot develops and has over twelve possible endings from which to choose.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,098,813 books! | Top bar: Always visible