Mr. Paradise by Elmore Leonard

Mr. Paradise (original 2002; edition 2005)

by Elmore Leonard

Member:rsummer
Title:Mr. Paradise
Authors:Elmore Leonard
Info:Harper Torch (2005), Edition: Reprint, Paperback
Rating:***

Mr. Paradise by Elmore Leonard (2002)

English (15)  Italian (1)  All languages (16)
I haven't read much Elmore Leonard, but this was so good I want to read more. ( )
  mlake | Apr 28, 2015 |
This was my first time reading an Elmore Leonard, although I've experienced some of his stories through other means (movie adaptations). I like his style, so I've picked up a few of his books over the years.

Mr. Paradise is similar to some of the other Leonard stories I know of, a lot of colorful characters and an awful lot of happenstance. But the way he writes it, he makes it work.

It's really fun watching the criminals try their best to outsmart the cops and each other, although you know it's all going to go horribly wrong somehow. The question in an Elmore Leonard yarn is, who will come out on top? ( )
  regularguy5mb | Mar 30, 2015 |
Kelly Barr agrees to help her roommate play Michigan cheerleader for her 84 year-old boyfriend, Tony Paradiso, but a couple of killers spoil the party. Detective Frank Delsa isn’t sure what Kelly is up tp, but he likes her style. Another smooth tale from the master, Elmore Leonard. You can’t go wrong with any of his books.

Published in mass-market paperback by HarperCollins. ( )
  mmtz | May 26, 2012 |
It's a fairly quick read, with loads of dialogue that in themselves help describe the characters and oh yeah there's a fine array of characters all of whom are introduced are a good rate and each and everyone of them somehow or other manage to fit in and out of this odd and reasonably well woven story. ( )
  nikon | Jan 7, 2011 |
I picked this one out 'cause my gradfather loved Elmore Leonard. I can *sort* of see why, though this was rather violent and full of strong language - I wouldn't think my grandfather would stand for it!

Lieutenant Frank Delsa is smart and tough, and I really enjoyed his character. The writing is a fast patter, much like the way many of the characters speak, and this plays like a comedy of errors involving dumb and violent criminals.

Feels a bit old-school-tough-guy - Recommended! ( )
  kayceel | Aug 26, 2009 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060083964, Mass Market Paperback)

It's a dubious proposition from the outset, destined to lead to trouble: Chloe Robinette, a high-end former Detroit call girl, asks her lingerie model roommate, Kelly Barr, to help her entertain a wealthy octogenarian trial lawyer named Anthony Paradiso. By "entertain," she means donning a cheerleader's skimpy skirt, but going topless, and doing rah-rah routines beside a TV set while Paradiso--"Mr. Paradise"--watches videotaped football games. A bit kinky for Kelly's taste, but she finally goes along--only to be caught in the middle of a contract hit on Paradiso and Chloe. Rather than tell what little she knows of these crimes, Kelly buys into a scheme, concocted by Paradiso's right-hand man, Montez Taylor, that could lead to a huge payoff from the lawyer's estate. But only if the 27-year-old Kelly can convincingly assume Chloe's identity ...

Elmore Leonard, who's made his career writing about not-too-bright bad guys, fills Mr. Paradise with several memorable specimens of that breed. In addition to Montez, who'd resented his politically incorrect boss for cutting him out of his will, there's also a bottom-feeding defense attorney, Avern Cohn, who runs a murder-for-hire operation on the side, and his well-armed employees of the month, "tough monkeys" Carl Fontana and Arthur Krupa. Less credibly and entertainingly crafted is Frank Delsa, the widowed homicide detective whose hunt for Paradiso's killers is complicated by his attraction to the curvilinear Kelly. This romantic subplot is overly predictable and deflates early expectations that the cunning young model is playing some deeper game here, working an angle that neither Delsa nor Montez anticipates.

After penning a string of character-propelled novels set in Florida (including Glitz, Out of Sight, and the particularly winning La Brava), it's good to see Leonard exploiting the Detroit backdrop again, as he did so expertly in a few of his earlier successes (City Primeval and Killshot, for instance). Yet while Mr. Paradise is rich with comic dialogue and cop-shop color, it never goes beyond the expectations of a Leonard work. This author is too good not to take more chances. --J. Kingston Pierce

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:12 -0400)

When party games involving a beautiful escort, her model roommate, lawyer Tony Paradiso, and his aide Montez Taylor go murderously wrong, Detroit detective Frank Delsa finds himself with a double homicide on his hands.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,154,222 books! | Top bar: Always visible