Dragon Slippers by Jessica Day George

Dragon Slippers (edition 2007)

by Jessica Day George

7064113,397 (4.14)1 / 43
Member:gail208
Title:Dragon Slippers
Authors:Jessica Day George
Info:Bloomsbury USA Childrens (2007), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 336 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Jessica Day George, dragons, girls, fairy tales, children's, adventure, embroidery

Dragon Slippers by Jessica Day George

There are not many fantasy novels that have a female as a strong lead character. One such series I read awhile ago was The Enchanted Forest Chronicles by Patricia C. Wrede. After being recommended to read Dragon Slippers on Goodreads I decided to look further into the series. Once I read a summary of the first book I decided to give it a try. I loved Wrede's series so much that reading another series about dragons and a young girl as protagonist was very intriguing. I can say that the first book, Dragon Slippers, lived up to my expectations. It is not as good as Wrede's series, but definitely an incredible story!

In Dragon Slippers, Creel is the protagonist. She is a strong, courageous, vibrant, kind, and likable character. She handles herself very well in all the various situations she is put into. These include having a mean seamstress as a boss, dealing with a rude princess as a client, falling for a prince, befriending dragons, and saving the dragons and her people. Additionally, she is also a very talented embroider. I really liked her as the main character and thought she developed very well throughout the novel. I loved that she followed her dream of working in the king's city and that she helps to fix what she wronged. I believe that she would make a great role model for any child.

There are other characters as well including Marta, who becomes Creel's best friend, as well as Luka. Luka is the brother to the crown prince and is also a very likable character. He is really nice and doesn't care where you are from or what your status may be. He treats everyone with respect, and I think he would make a better king than his brother. There are also tons of dragons in the story!

Jessica Day George puts a different spin on her dragons, which I found fascinating. They don't hoard the typical treasure you read about in other stories such as gold and jewels. Some of them hoard shoes and others go as far as hoarding live dogs. It's hilarious! I also liked how they all have their own personality and become characters you really enjoy reading about. There are times when things happen to some of the dragons that almost brought me to tears.

I really enjoyed the unique plot to the story. It's all about a pair of blue slippers that Creel was given by a dragon, and finding out what they really are. It was engaging and well paced. I even found that I liked all the discussions about embroidery and sewing even though I don't care for them myself. Much of the story focuses on the shoes and Creel's passion for embroidery, but don't let that deter you from reading a great story! There are also themes of friendship, betrayal, and coming of age.

There is a little bit of romance in the book, but nothing that would be inappropriate for younger readers or take away from the main story. There is also very little violence within the battles. I would recommend this to anyone who loves fantasy, especially younger girls. It is a really girly series, but there may be some boys out there who would enjoy it anyway. It would be appropriate for anyone eight and over, and may be a perfect bedtime book for parents and children to share. I would have to say that the younger you are the more you will probably enjoy the book, but I think it is still a fun read for young adults and adults as well.

Overall, it was a great story and I can't wait to start the next one! ( )
  AshleyMiller | Sep 10, 2014 |
I really liked Dragon Slippers. Its a sweet quick read. ( )
  BookLoversLife | Apr 24, 2014 |
I enjoyed Jessica Day George's twelve dancing princess books so much that I felt a need to try her other novels, and I wasn't disappointed. This one starts with Creel's aunt trying to sacrifice her to a dragon as a ploy to attract a knight for a husband, but Creel decides instead to try to make a deal with the dragon and avoid anyone getting hurt. However, the deal she ends up making has some incredibly unexpected consequences...

Fun! Adventure! Girls and dragons as friends! It's exactly what I wanted. ( )
  terriko | Dec 7, 2013 |
  BRCSBooks | Nov 8, 2013 |
Dragons
  romsfuulynn | Apr 28, 2013 |
Some secondary characters are rather flat and stereotypical, and a lot of details are tied up too neatly and quickly at the conclusion, but the plot is sound and well written.
added by Katya0133 | editSchool Library Journal, Amanda Raklovits (Oct 1, 2007)

The plot elements are sometimes awkwardly stitched together, but the exciting, fairy-tale action and vivid scenes, from glittering dragon cave to posh dress shop, are captivating.
added by Katya0133 | editBooklist, Gillian Engberg (May 15, 2007)

Not entirely original, but clever, well-plotted and good fun.
added by Katya0133 | editKirkus Reviews (May 1, 2007)

For Mikey, who has put up with an awful lot over the past nine years, but who never gave up on me or let me give up on myself.

And for the dragons.
It was my aunt who decided to give me to the dragon.

When Creel's aunt suggests that Creel sacrifice herself to the local dragon in order to be rescued by a knight in shining armor, Creel discovers that fairy tales don't always come true. Creel must use her ingenuity to escape the dragon, make her way to the king's city and establish herself. Soon she finds she holds the key to saving her kingdom from war . . . if she doesn't destroy it instead.

AR 5.7, 12 pts.

Orphaned after a fever epidemic, Creel befriends a dragon and unknowingly inherits an object that can either save or destroy her kingdom.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,361,530 books! | Top bar: Always visible