Dragon Slippers by Jessica Day George

Dragon Slippers (edition 2007)

by Jessica Day George

7864311,712 (4.14)1 / 44
Member:gail208
Title:Dragon Slippers
Authors:Jessica Day George
Info:Bloomsbury USA Childrens (2007), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 336 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Jessica Day George, dragons, girls, fairy tales, children's, adventure, embroidery

Dragon Slippers by Jessica Day George

This review is also available on my blog.

This is my third time attempting to review this book. I've been coming back to it periodically for almost a year now, never able to get my feelings about it down on paper. The first time I wound up just summarizing the entire story (pretty poorly, at that). The second time I got started talking about how much I love it and describing Creel, the main character. Somehow I lost my oomph halfway through my seventh line, and never really got it back. But now I'm trying one more time. Three's a lucky number, right?

Okay, I think I'll start with the characters. Creel first, because she's the main character and because, well, she's awesome. Creel is a fun character for many reasons, from her love for sewing (the clothes descriptions in this book are fantastic!) to her love for - well, someone. Of course, in this book the romance doesn't dominate the scene. No, it's just added to the story. What I love about Creel and the prince's relationship, is that it starts out as a comfortable friendship. It takes the whole first book to become anything more than that, which is really refreshing in today's fantasy novels. But anyway, Creel is fun. She's stubborn and single-minded and - well, and funny. Really funny!

Next, the girls who work at the shop. Not much to say about them without spoilers, but I love how Creel made her opinions about the other shopgirls the first time she met them, but then it turned out her first impressions were completely wrong.

Luka. He's sweet. He's funny. He's not a hunk of meat in shoes. He's an actual person, with an actual life, who becomes friends with Creel. They have things in common, they share a sense of humor, and they like each other as friends before any idea of romance ever comes into either one's head (okay, that might be an overstatement - but still!). I love him as a character, and my love for him has nothing to do with his physical description. He's just a nice person.

As for the dragons, the characterization here is really good. Each dragon has a unique personality without being a caricature, and the idea that every dragon hordes a different good is really cool. The first dragon Creel meets hordes shoes, another words stained-glass windows, and another collects dogs. The type of objects that the dragons collect provide a great reflection of their individual personalities.

The storyline is tight, compelling, and flawlessly executed. I honestly have nothing to critique about this book: I all-around love it. I cherish my signed/personalized copy like the treasure it is, and reread it every nine months to a year. I love the characters, the settings, and the plot. And this is why I've had such a hard time reviewing it: I have to fight to come up with anything besides "I LOVE THIS BOOK! GO READ IT RIGHT NOW! AND THEN READ THE SEQUELS!" Becase really, that's all I have to say about this book at the end of the day. So go. Read the book. Please. ( )
1 vote Jaina_Rose | Mar 1, 2016 |
When the family runs out of money, Creel's aunt decides the best way to get out of their rut is to have Creel be "captured" by a dragon then rescued by a prince who would want to marry her. When Creels meets the dragon, instead of allowing a knight to kill him, she bargains for a pair of shoes. What she doesn't know is that those shoes are the dragon slippers. From that moment, Creel's plan of sewing in the King's Seat becomes a lot less simple - especially when the queen-to-be notices her shoes.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book - strong female characters who best tradition have a special place in my heart. The hidden magic, mystery, and adventure make this a great book to recommend to students (probably mostly girls) who like dragons. If a reader likes Dealing With Dragons and has read the entire series, this would be a good bridge book to a new author. ( )
  agrudzien | Jul 26, 2015 |
Can barely put it down. ( )
  Stembie3 | Jun 14, 2015 |
The was great fun. Can't wait to read the next in the series! ( )
  mlake | Apr 28, 2015 |
There are not many fantasy novels that have a female as a strong lead character. One such series I read awhile ago was The Enchanted Forest Chronicles by Patricia C. Wrede. After being recommended to read Dragon Slippers on Goodreads I decided to look further into the series. Once I read a summary of the first book I decided to give it a try. I loved Wrede's series so much that reading another series about dragons and a young girl as protagonist was very intriguing. I can say that the first book, Dragon Slippers, lived up to my expectations. It is not as good as Wrede's series, but definitely an incredible story!

In Dragon Slippers, Creel is the protagonist. She is a strong, courageous, vibrant, kind, and likable character. She handles herself very well in all the various situations she is put into. These include having a mean seamstress as a boss, dealing with a rude princess as a client, falling for a prince, befriending dragons, and saving the dragons and her people. Additionally, she is also a very talented embroider. I really liked her as the main character and thought she developed very well throughout the novel. I loved that she followed her dream of working in the king's city and that she helps to fix what she wronged. I believe that she would make a great role model for any child.

There are other characters as well including Marta, who becomes Creel's best friend, as well as Luka. Luka is the brother to the crown prince and is also a very likable character. He is really nice and doesn't care where you are from or what your status may be. He treats everyone with respect, and I think he would make a better king than his brother. There are also tons of dragons in the story!

Jessica Day George puts a different spin on her dragons, which I found fascinating. They don't hoard the typical treasure you read about in other stories such as gold and jewels. Some of them hoard shoes and others go as far as hoarding live dogs. It's hilarious! I also liked how they all have their own personality and become characters you really enjoy reading about. There are times when things happen to some of the dragons that almost brought me to tears.

I really enjoyed the unique plot to the story. It's all about a pair of blue slippers that Creel was given by a dragon, and finding out what they really are. It was engaging and well paced. I even found that I liked all the discussions about embroidery and sewing even though I don't care for them myself. Much of the story focuses on the shoes and Creel's passion for embroidery, but don't let that deter you from reading a great story! There are also themes of friendship, betrayal, and coming of age.

There is a little bit of romance in the book, but nothing that would be inappropriate for younger readers or take away from the main story. There is also very little violence within the battles. I would recommend this to anyone who loves fantasy, especially younger girls. It is a really girly series, but there may be some boys out there who would enjoy it anyway. It would be appropriate for anyone eight and over, and may be a perfect bedtime book for parents and children to share. I would have to say that the younger you are the more you will probably enjoy the book, but I think it is still a fun read for young adults and adults as well.

Overall, it was a great story and I can't wait to start the next one! ( )
  AshleyMiller | Sep 10, 2014 |
Some secondary characters are rather flat and stereotypical, and a lot of details are tied up too neatly and quickly at the conclusion, but the plot is sound and well written.
added by Katya0133 | editSchool Library Journal, Amanda Raklovits (Oct 1, 2007)

The plot elements are sometimes awkwardly stitched together, but the exciting, fairy-tale action and vivid scenes, from glittering dragon cave to posh dress shop, are captivating.
added by Katya0133 | editBooklist, Gillian Engberg (May 15, 2007)

Not entirely original, but clever, well-plotted and good fun.
added by Katya0133 | editKirkus Reviews (May 1, 2007)

For Mikey, who has put up with an awful lot over the past nine years, but who never gave up on me or let me give up on myself.

And for the dragons.
It was my aunt who decided to give me to the dragon.

When Creel's aunt suggests that Creel sacrifice herself to the local dragon in order to be rescued by a knight in shining armor, Creel discovers that fairy tales don't always come true. Creel must use her ingenuity to escape the dragon, make her way to the king's city and establish herself. Soon she finds she holds the key to saving her kingdom from war . . . if she doesn't destroy it instead.

AR 5.7, 12 pts.

Orphaned after a fever epidemic, Creel befriends a dragon and unknowingly inherits an object that can either save or destroy her kingdom.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 17 books! | Top bar: Always visible