Dragon Slippers by Jessica Day George

Dragon Slippers (edition 2007)

by Jessica Day George

8154411,167 (4.14)1 / 44
Member:gail208
Title:Dragon Slippers
Authors:Jessica Day George
Info:Bloomsbury USA Childrens (2007), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 336 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Jessica Day George, dragons, girls, fairy tales, children's, adventure, embroidery

Dragon Slippers by Jessica Day George

This review says it better: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1143625422?book_show_action=false&page=1

I've enjoyed a lot of MG fantasy, and wasn't expecting too much from this. But something about it is special. I think it's a combination of complex characters that feel truly authentic, a less flippant sense of humor, and interesting details like the needlework.

I'm torn about the sequels. I was sad to get to the end of this, but on the other hand it was satisfying and I don't want to feel dragged along.

Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
This review is also available on my blog.

This is my third time attempting to review this book. I've been coming back to it periodically for almost a year now, never able to get my feelings about it down on paper. The first time I wound up just summarizing the entire story (pretty poorly, at that). The second time I got started talking about how much I love it and describing Creel, the main character. Somehow I lost my oomph halfway through my seventh line, and never really got it back. But now I'm trying one more time. Three's a lucky number, right?

Okay, I think I'll start with the characters. Creel first, because she's the main character and because, well, she's awesome. Creel is a fun character for many reasons, from her love for sewing (the clothes descriptions in this book are fantastic!) to her love for - well, someone. Of course, in this book the romance doesn't dominate the scene. No, it's just added to the story. What I love about Creel and the prince's relationship, is that it starts out as a comfortable friendship. It takes the whole first book to become anything more than that, which is really refreshing in today's fantasy novels. But anyway, Creel is fun. She's stubborn and single-minded and - well, and funny. Really funny!

Next, the girls who work at the shop. Not much to say about them without spoilers, but I love how Creel made her opinions about the other shopgirls the first time she met them, but then it turned out her first impressions were completely wrong.

Luka. He's sweet. He's funny. He's not a hunk of meat in shoes. He's an actual person, with an actual life, who becomes friends with Creel. They have things in common, they share a sense of humor, and they like each other as friends before any idea of romance ever comes into either one's head (okay, that might be an overstatement - but still!). I love him as a character, and my love for him has nothing to do with his physical description. He's just a nice person.

As for the dragons, the characterization here is really good. Each dragon has a unique personality without being a caricature, and the idea that every dragon hordes a different good is really cool. The first dragon Creel meets hordes shoes, another words stained-glass windows, and another collects dogs. The type of objects that the dragons collect provide a great reflection of their individual personalities.

The storyline is tight, compelling, and flawlessly executed. I honestly have nothing to critique about this book: I all-around love it. I cherish my signed/personalized copy like the treasure it is, and reread it every nine months to a year. I love the characters, the settings, and the plot. And this is why I've had such a hard time reviewing it: I have to fight to come up with anything besides "I LOVE THIS BOOK! GO READ IT RIGHT NOW! AND THEN READ THE SEQUELS!" Becase really, that's all I have to say about this book at the end of the day. So go. Read the book. Please. ( )
1 vote Jaina_Rose | Mar 1, 2016 |
When the family runs out of money, Creel's aunt decides the best way to get out of their rut is to have Creel be "captured" by a dragon then rescued by a prince who would want to marry her. When Creels meets the dragon, instead of allowing a knight to kill him, she bargains for a pair of shoes. What she doesn't know is that those shoes are the dragon slippers. From that moment, Creel's plan of sewing in the King's Seat becomes a lot less simple - especially when the queen-to-be notices her shoes.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book - strong female characters who best tradition have a special place in my heart. The hidden magic, mystery, and adventure make this a great book to recommend to students (probably mostly girls) who like dragons. If a reader likes Dealing With Dragons and has read the entire series, this would be a good bridge book to a new author. ( )
  agrudzien | Jul 26, 2015 |
Can barely put it down. ( )
  Stembie3 | Jun 14, 2015 |
The was great fun. Can't wait to read the next in the series! ( )
  mlake | Apr 28, 2015 |
Some secondary characters are rather flat and stereotypical, and a lot of details are tied up too neatly and quickly at the conclusion, but the plot is sound and well written.
added by Katya0133 | editSchool Library Journal, Amanda Raklovits (Oct 1, 2007)

The plot elements are sometimes awkwardly stitched together, but the exciting, fairy-tale action and vivid scenes, from glittering dragon cave to posh dress shop, are captivating.
added by Katya0133 | editBooklist, Gillian Engberg (May 15, 2007)

Not entirely original, but clever, well-plotted and good fun.
added by Katya0133 | editKirkus Reviews (May 1, 2007)

For Mikey, who has put up with an awful lot over the past nine years, but who never gave up on me or let me give up on myself.

And for the dragons.
It was my aunt who decided to give me to the dragon.

When Creel's aunt suggests that Creel sacrifice herself to the local dragon in order to be rescued by a knight in shining armor, Creel discovers that fairy tales don't always come true. Creel must use her ingenuity to escape the dragon, make her way to the king's city and establish herself. Soon she finds she holds the key to saving her kingdom from war . . . if she doesn't destroy it instead.

AR 5.7, 12 pts.

Orphaned after a fever epidemic, Creel befriends a dragon and unknowingly inherits an object that can either save or destroy her kingdom.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,099,060 books! | Top bar: Always visible