Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Agnes and the Hitman by Jennifer Crusie

Agnes and the Hitman

by Jennifer Crusie, Bob Mayer

Mr. Perfect by Linda Howard (SockMonkeyGirl)
    Natural Born Charmer by Susan Elizabeth Phillips (emania)
    emania: It's the same kind of feel about the relationship between the couple and both female leads are sassy and smart and independent and both male leads are sharp and the banter between them is fantastic. Also, the secondary characters in both novels are well developed and fleshed out and both novels have good underlying plots other than just to get the main characters in the sack together. Also, and probably most importantly for me, they both made me laugh so hard I cried while reading them while keeping me in touch with the characters as people.… (more)
    Murder with Peacocks by Donna Andrews (MyriadBooks)
    Bobbie Faye's Very (very, very, very) Bad Day: A Novel by Toni McGee Causey (SunnySD)
    Goodnight Nobody by Jennifer Weiner (morganmuhly)

Ok first off be prepared for one hell of a wild ride when you read this. This is the best warning I can give you for this book.
It starts off somewhat slow and picks up around four or five chapters in. Then oh boy the action and cast of characters storm you, and yes at times bowl you over.
Agnes was sometimes too crazy for me to connect with. She doesn't exactly react to situations like a "normal" person would. Frying pans anyone? However, this could be why she was so fun to read about.
Shane was simply hot. Really. I sincerely feel throwing a lot of words out for a description would be a waste of time. He's hot, that's all there is to that. Read the book, read about him.
A key component of the book for me was how Shane kept doing little things for Agnes. Soooo completely thoughtful and sweet. When he took her To Do List and gets her a bridge (to hard to explain what that is all about) I melted. Mind you he is doing all this while he is dodging bullets, killing people in Agnes kitchen, and trying to complete his mission of killing Casey Dean. Yeah you could say the man has a full plate.
Agnes and Shane's first sex scene was hot, hot, hot. The angry sex was wow factor. Once again not for the faint of heart.
Towards the end the murder mystery and cast of characters gets a little convoluted. It was a little too much, could have trimmed some characters and story. Something should have went, either Casey Dean or the mob connections.
This isn't a traditional romance per say but for people who like action with a man/woman relationship thrown in will quite enjoy it. And there is of course Crusie's quirky humor thrown in, making it that much more enjoyable.
I seriously read this book in one sitting, once it gets going it is IMPOSSIBLE to put down. I was utterly absorbed into Shane and Agnes lives.
Super fun, super chaotic read, and definitely a keeper for me. ( )
  WhiskeyintheJar | Feb 14, 2019 |
Crusie/Mayer are my go-to writers when I want to immerse myself in an entertaining book. This book is light-hearted, sexy, and full of my very favorite thing, "found family." I've read it more than once and I'm sure I'll read it again. ( )
  tldegray | Sep 21, 2018 |
Re-read this in August 2018 from CPL. It was a fun read but I didn't remember it at all from the first time I read it in 2007. Admittedly that is 11 years ago but still I should have remembered something as I re-read it. The situation and the characters are amusing, the dialog is witty, and the book flows very well. ( )
  phyllis2779 | Aug 25, 2018 |
PopSugar '16 #38--A satirical book. (I don't think this is exactly satire, but Crusie and Mayer are good at skewering certain popular tropes, so I'm counting it.)
I enjoyed this book! Agnes has recently bought a house with her fiance. They are writing a cookbook together and starting a catering business. After a new pic of Agnes and her dog runs with her cooking column in the local paper, people start showing up to steal her dog and/or kill Agnes. The reasons why will take everyone back 25 years to an unsolved crime that may have taken place at her new home. In the meantime, Agnes needs protection and her "Uncle" knows just who to hire...
This book reads like a fun, light Rom-com. It's got all sort of quirky characters. It's got cooking, mob bosses, government hit-men, sex. I don't always picture how books would look on screen, but this one I definitely did. If you need a good, quick, fun read, with a bit of a mystery, this might well be your ticket. ( )
  VanChocStrawberry | Apr 2, 2018 |
fantastically fun fluff ( )
  eyelit | Mar 22, 2018 |

Crusie, Jenniferprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Mayer, Bobmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Burr, SandraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Meg and Jen, who never gave up on us.
Do not be seduced by those big-box come-ons, full of "complete sets" of extraneous cookware.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312363052, Mass Market Paperback)

Agnes Crandall’s problems are rolling to a boil. First, a dog-napper invades her kitchen, seriously hampering her attempts to put on a wedding that she’s staked her entire net worth on. Then a man climbs through her bedroom window to save her. “Shane” (no last name) may be Agnes’s hero, but he’s also a professional hitman—so he’s no stranger to trouble himself…

Between a rival who wants to take him out and an uncle who may have lost five million bucks in Agnes’s basement, Shane’s plate is plenty full. Soon Agnes and Shane are tangled up with the lowlifes after the money, a gang of Southern mob wedding guests, a dog named Rhett, and—most dangerous of all—each other.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:50 -0400)

Rescued during a break-in by an unlikely hit man who has been directed by the mob to protect her, food writer Cranky Agnes finds her situation further complicated by a missing cache of money that becomes a key factor in a Southern mafia wedding.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,466,911 books! | Top bar: Always visible