Nefertiti: A Novel by Michelle Moran

Nefertiti: A Novel (edition 2008)

by Michelle Moran

Title:Nefertiti: A Novel
Authors:Michelle Moran
Info:Three Rivers Press (2008), Paperback, 496 pages
Tags:historical fiction

Nefertiti by Michelle Moran

Recently added byprivate library, ReadingIsGroovy, LitaVore, Alexaks, kkilway, wm3395, somekramers, Cara.Faith

The story of Nefertiti is probably one of my favorite stories ever written in history. This one was no different. I actually felt that this book was a more modern telling of the story and I understood some of the things I used to have to think really hard about. A wonderful telling of a story about someone I think was a remarkable woman. ( )
  Angel.Carter | Aug 11, 2016 |
I enjoyed the story but the characters were so weak that I unfortunately could not give it five stars. ( )
  Iamanerdfighter | May 30, 2016 |
This was a great book, the life of Nefertiti told from the viewpoint of her sister. I love ancient Egypt anyway and this book brought the world of Nefertiti and her controversial husband Akhenaten to life. Hooray for Moran! ( )
  Oodles | Feb 16, 2016 |
I enjoyed the way that Michelle Moran combined history with fiction to provide an engaging story. Her characters were believable and multiple-dimensional. You felt for these characters as they moved through the novel.
  tmscott13 | Jan 23, 2016 |
4.5 Stars

Historical author Michelle Moran's first novel, Nefertiti, is a fictionalized account of the life of the infamous Egyptian Queen. Told from the perspective of Nefertiti's younger sister, Mutnodjmet, Moran's lovely prose brings ancient Egypt to life and evokes a strong sense of time and place. It also features fabulous characters, a strong plot and great historical detail, all of which are necessary for me to consider a novel a great work of historical fiction. Given that Nefertiti's behaviour, attitude and actions make her a hard character to amass any sympathy for, the decision to use her sister as the means through which to recount Nefertiti's life was the right one. ( )
  Melissa_J | Jan 16, 2016 |

Michelle Moranprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Campbell, CassandraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To speak the name of the dead is to make them live again. --Egyptian proverb
To my father, Robert Francis Moran, who gave me his love of language and books. You left too soon and never saw this published, but I think, somehow, you always knew. Thank you for knowing, and for your magnificent life, which inspired me in so many ways.
If you are to believe what the viziers say, then Amunhotep killed his brother for the crown of Egypt.

A National Bestseller!

“Meticulously researched and richly detailed . . . an engrossing tribute to one of the most powerful and alluring women in history.”
Boston Globe

Nefertiti and her younger sister, Mutnodjmet, have been raised in a powerful family that has provided wives to the rulers of Egypt for centuries. Ambitious, charismatic, and beautiful, Nefertiti is destined to marry Amunhotep, an unstable young pharaoh. It is hoped that her strong personality will temper the young ruler’s heretical desire to forsake Egypt’s ancient gods.

From the moment of her arrival in Thebes, Nefertiti is beloved by the people but fails to see that powerful priests are plotting against her husband’s rule. The only person brave enough to warn the queen is her younger sister, yet remaining loyal to Nefertiti will force Mutnodjmet into a dangerous political game; one that could cost her everything she holds dear.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:29 -0400)

This fictionalized life of the notorious queen is told from the point of view of her younger sister, Mutnodjmet. In 1351 B.C., Prince Amunhotep secretly kills his older brother and becomes next in line to Egypt's throne: he's 17, and the 15-year-old Nefertiti soon becomes his chief wife.He already has a wife, but Kiya's blood is not as royal, nor is she as bewitching as Nefertiti. As Mutnodjmet, two years younger than her sister, looks on (and falls in love), Amunhotep and the equally ambitious Nefertiti worship a different main god, displace the priests who control Egypt's wealth and begin building a city that boasts the royal likenesses chiseled in stone. Things get tense when Kiya has sons and the popular Nefertiti has only daughters, and they come to a boil when the army is used to build temples to the pharaoh and his queen instead of protecting Egypt's borders.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,722,066 books! | Top bar: Always visible