Bloodlist by P. N. Elrod

Bloodlist (1990)

by P. N. Elrod

399None26,955 (3.74)10
    Already Dead by Charlie Huston (cmwilson101)
    cmwilson101: Both of these series are witty & noir, involving detective work and vampires.

collector; first printing
  Krumbs | Mar 31, 2013 |
I read this quite a while ago. It was one of the first modern day film-noir style vampire stories I read. In my opinion it helped define the genre. At the time, I quite enjoyed it and I enjoyed the second in the series as well. (None of the others were released yet) Since then, there has been a lot of stories in this same genre, and I'm a bit overloaded on them, so I don't know if I would feel the same way now, but it is definitely worth a read. ( )
  mightyscoo | Jul 11, 2012 |
Bloodlist by P.N. Elrod is the first book in the Vampire Files series. The story is set in a gangster-dominated Chicago of the 30s, and revolves around Jack Fleming, a vampire. In Vampire Files #1, Jack wakes up and realizes that he is dead, and a vampire. He has to work out what happened, and why, and learn the new rules that govern a vampire's life. The tone is wry, the story is interesting, the premise is intriguing, and the supporting cast of characters add to the fun. This is a good twist on a couple of old themes - noir fiction & vampire tale -- and they work well together.

Jack says it best of all:

"I've always had a weak spot for strange ladies. One very beautiful girl had even warned me that she was, get this, a vampire. But did I listen? No.

Before you know it, I'm being chased by an ugly thug with a gun, and a bullet blasts its way through my back, and, believe it or not, nothing happened. I survived! How? You guessed it. I, Jack Fleming, ace reporter, have been transformed into a vampire, which has its advantages. You never die, you never grow old, you sleep all day, and, best of all, you can hunt down your own murderer." ( )
  cmwilson101 | Feb 11, 2011 |
What a delightful find - I enjoyed this book immensely. A great addition to the genre. ( )
  CynDaVaz | Dec 30, 2010 |
A book noire - written just like pulp detective fiction of the 40s but with Vampires.

I don't like the setting enough to continue with the series - too many references to things like 50 cent hotel rooms to mean anything to me. I'm not familiar with the culture or the environment and I don't really care what happens to the main character.

If you like hearing about "technology" and lifestyles and facilities as they were in the 30s and 40s, you might like this book. Personally, I like full-auto guns and a world where there's DNA to worry about. ( )
  crazybatcow | Sep 27, 2010 |
Throughout the whole vast, shadowy world of ghosts and demons there is no figure so terrible, no figure so dreadful and abhorred, yet dight with such fearful fascination, as the vampire, who is himself neither ghost nor demon, but yet who partakes the dark natures and possesses the mysterious and terrible qualities of both. - Montague Summers
The Vampire: His Kith and Kin
For Mark and Ben.
The car was doing at least forty when the right front fender smashed against my left hip and sent me spinning off the road to flop bonelessly into a mass of thick, windblown grass.

Bloodlist introduces Jack Fleming, an investigative journalist in Prohibition-era Chicago who got bitten by a vampire.

In Lifeblood and Bloodcircle Jack hunted for the men who killed him, and for his long-lost love, Maureen. Now, the original vampire-noir cult classics by P.N. Elrod are together for the first time in one volume-easier for fans to sink their teeth into.

I've always had a weak spot for strange ladies. One very beautiful girl had even warned me that she was--get this--a vampire. But did I listen? No. Before you know it, I'm being chased by an ugly thug with a gun, and a bullet blasts its way through my back, and--believe it or not--nothing happened. I survived! How? You guess it. I, Jack Fleming, ace reporter, have been transformed into a vampire, which has its advantages.You never die, you never grow old, you sleep all day, and, best of all, you can hunt down your own murderer.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,492,253 books! | Top bar: Always visible