From the Twilight Zone by Rod Serling

From the Twilight Zone (1962)

by Rod Serling

190262,147 (3.94)1

Fans of 'The Twilight Zone' will immediately recognize these stories as episodes that appeared throughout seasons one and two of the original series. That fact sort of leaves an unfulfilled sense in the audience as they are reading. Something unnameable seems to be missing. It wasn't until I got to one of the last stories featured, 'The Rip Van Winkle Caper,' when I realized I had been 'hearing' the voices of the original actors in my head while I read (no mention of an eastern European accent, now why did I decide this character would have that quirk?).

Still, it's an enjoyable read for fans of the show, of course, but also for anyone who enjoys fantasy or science fiction stories. These would probably work quite well for a Ray Bradbury fan or anyone who enjoys the uncanny but might be put off by straight sci-fi.

A few stories almost seemed a better fit in this medium; 'Where is Everybody?' seemed much more suspenseful when one wasn't immediately aware that the woman in the car is obviously a mannequin or the man the main character runs toward is his own reflection. On the other hand, stories like 'Walking Distance' are much improved when you add in the signature score and stand-out cinematography.

The other stories featured are as follows: 'The Mighty Casey,' 'Escape Clause,' 'The Monsters Are Due on Maple Street,' 'The Whole Truth,' 'The Lonely,' 'Dust,' 'The Midnight Sun,' 'Mr. Dingle, the Strong,' 'The Odyssey of Flight 33,' 'The Big Tall Wish,' and 'The Shelter.' ( )
  llamagirl | Apr 15, 2009 |
Some of these stories actually ended up as scripts for the show. ( )
  MerryMary | Apr 20, 2007 |
You could say this of Harvey Hennicutt - he was an exceptional liar.

From The Twilight Zone TV show, Rod Serling has included 14 stories, a must for Twilight Zone Fans.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,158,211 books! | Top bar: Always visible