Grave Illusions by Lina Gardiner

Grave Illusions is the first book in the vampire hunter book series. I had read book 2-4 and had to go back and see how it started. The whole series is excellent! Jess is a kick ass vampire that hunts vampires. This story introduces you to the main characters that you will grow to love throughout the series. Britt, a cop she recruits for her vampire hunting team, and her brother Regent are the main players. This book has an ancient vampire that is after Jess because Jess can walk in the daylight. He wants her blood to work on in his lab. He is a vampire from Hitler's army. There is lots of vampire fighting action, twists, mysteries, bit of romance to spice things up, intrigue, and a good plot. The characters are complex and they stay true to their selves in all four books. A great read but I thought the other books were much better but this one was still great. Start the series now, you won't regret it! I received this book for an honest review. ( )
  MontzaleeW | Mar 3, 2016 |
3.5 stars, hard to rate this book went from exciting to dragging several times for me. I was tired of hearing the two main characters thought on how they can't have the one they want, ok enough already, beating a dead horse... I am still not sure why they wanted each other so desperately, didn't catch that. The rest of the story had good action scenes and interesting characters for the most part. I would have liked to have more of the extras and less of the lusty ex cop and the vampire. The sad thing is that it really was a good story, it needed some serious editing. I found myself at the 60 % point just sick of the book, towards the end it got really good. I think the writer has a good future, she has talent. I hope she avoids the trap of cashing in on the smexing up of a story just to sell i ( )
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |
Jess Vandermire is a vampire and vampire hunter who works for the local police department. She helps to keep the evil vampires at bay. She finds and recruits individuals to help her enforce and protect the city. They have to go through a special nightly training.

John Brittan (Britt) is a former police officer and is one of these recruits. He’s unsure of the whole situation and isn’t sure he wants to be a part of it. During his training, he discovers himself and also proves to be on the team.

Regent is Jess’s brother who is a priest and her protector. He is getting older and worried about who will take care of Jess after her dies. Of course, Jess doesn’t want him thinking this way, but Regent knows vampires don’t die of old age. He continually tries to find someone to help fill his spot.

Prometheus is the evil vampire they hunt to the end. What a story he has.

The author has developed these and other characters in the book. She has done an amazing job of describing them and giving them vigor in the plot. With so many vampire stories out there, I was a little reluctant this would be that great of a read, however, I was wrong. The author has done an excellent job of weaving a plot around typical vampire conditions with mystery, humor, and romance in a way I thoroughly enjoyed. I leave it wanting to compare it to Karen Moning’s Fever series, but of course that one doesn’t do vampires and this one wasn’t as dark. Very enjoyable read.

Verdict: 4.5 star rating! I would recommend this book to anyone who likes vampire books or even urban fantasy readers. It was not heavy at all on the romance. ( )
  nsjlh | Apr 1, 2012 |

Lina Gardiner is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,324,703 books! | Top bar: Always visible