Death in the Andamans by M. M. Kaye

Death in the Andamans (1960)

by M. M. Kaye

A very acceptable final book of the Death in Exotic Locales that I said I wouldn't bother to get from the library but did anyway. The mystery was your basic country house style; isolated locale and limited cast of suspects. Toss in a possible ghost and a tropical storm and then the required romance. Here the amatuer detectives were 2 damsels in distress and 2 Knights in Shinning Armor but the formula stayed the much the same. The main problem I had was that there seemed to be no real good reason for the murderer to have done the deed. The final wrap up held together except for that particularly glaring bit. Also, the final wrap up took a small eternity of not very interesting prose. But the main story was an enjoyable one and the various red herrings thrown in made a good mystery. But now I am truly done with the series,there are no more.
  amyem58 | Jul 21, 2017 |
I think I liked Death in Kashmir better, but this one was a fun little mystery. I like the way that M.M. Kaye combines a bit of romance with her mysteries, and her colonial British settings, are a huge guilty pleasure of mine. Guilty because I know that colonialism was terribly destructive to local cultures and peoples and Empire building is incredibly arrogant and indefensible, but pleasure because I still love them, with their interesting rules, and their exotic settings. ( )
  moonlight_reads | Dec 11, 2016 |
Another great book by Kaye. I only have one more left. I wish she had written more : ( ( )
  EmpressReece | Aug 22, 2016 |
Mystery

christinejoseph | Sep 11, 2015 |
Went through and read every M.M. Kaye book many years ago. I remember I loved all of them. ( )
  CC123 | Aug 10, 2015 |
"The isle is full of noises..."
- The Tempest
In fond memory of
'Fudge' (Rosemary Cosgrave) and the Islands
Something bumped lightly against the side of her bed and Copper Randal, awakening with a start, was astonished to find that her heart was racing.
originally published as Night on the Island in 1960

Death in the Andamans is a masterpiece of mystery and romance from one of our most beloved authors. When a violent storm lashes the tiny Andaman Islands in the Bay of Bengal, Copper Randal barely manages a safe return to Government House. She does get back in one piece with her hostess, Valerie Masson, Val's fiance, and handsome naval officer Nick Tarrent, but one of the islanders is unaccounted for when the boats return to harbor. Cut off from the mainland and confined to the shadowy, haunted guest quarters, Copper and the other visitors conclude that one of their number is a murderer. The killer must be found before the storm destroys all trace of any possible clues. In Death in the Andamans M.M. Kaye has created the perfect blend of exotic setting and expertly crafted whodunit that mark her as one of our greatest literary talents.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:38 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,362,102 books! | Top bar: Always visible