dismiss

Death Masks

by Jim Butcher

Series: The Dresden Files (5)

Harry Dresden, Chicago's only practicing wizard, is hired by a mysterious priest to find the stolen Shroud of Turin. But first, Harry must deal with the Red Court of Vampires' champion, professional hit men, and the return of his semi-vampire former girlfriend.

English (146)  German (2)  All languages (148)
This is a 3.5 star review. Because of Goodreads system, I am unable to do half stars.

I have so many of these books on my Kindle and I am somewhat loathe to read them. I think it's because the series is starting to feel too bloated to me in some ways. This book had so many plotlines going on that some of the resolutions felt rushed.

After reading Summer Knight I wish we had stayed put in the land of the fairies a bit longer. Instead we have an epic level showdown between good and evil in this one with new foes introduced in this one called the Denarians. I wish I could have been more excited, but after a while it feels like there are just big boss levels of bad guys coming at Harry and crew through the whole book and you don't get a chance to really digest anything.

We also have the re-appearance of Harry's ex girlfriend Susan. Sigh. I liked Susan when we first met her and I still call bullshit for the way that her character was pretty much crossed out of the series. I don't know if this was to make way for Harry with someone else (please not Murph) or what, but I really hoped that things would work out for them. But Harry's childishness was a bit much in this book. The two characters had broken up and having him throw a fit while other huge things was going on was not a welcome diversion.

We have other characters readers are familiar with in this one, Michael and also Murph. I wish we could get a spinoff of the character Michael. There was not a lot of information about him in the book Grave Peril so I was glad to get some more information about him being a Knight of the Cross in this one as well as find out about fellow knights.

The writing felt clunky at times. I mean I like Harry. But the wisecracking and not listening to people and just leaping without thinking and almost dying every second is getting old. I just want to kick him in the shins. He just does things all of the time without thinking them through and somehow irks on through each time.

The flow was pretty bad too. I think because including the whole Denarian plotline with the vampire plotline was just not great. It didn't help that we also got some new characters we had to wrap our heads around as well (the Archive was a great and somewhat chilling addition) while still progressing through this book.

The setting of Chicago is still perfect for this series, though the city is more similar to Detroit in my head. You have more falling buildings and dark and gloom. FYI I have never been to Detroit, but that's just is what I imagine it to look like.

The ending was seriously anti-climatic. I assume that we will get some more shennigans by the Red Court (the vampires) and who knows what else in the next offering of The Dresden Files. ( )
  ObsidianBlue | Jul 1, 2020 |
With every Dresden novel I read I just become more absorbed in Butcher's world. These are fantastic books and Death Masks is a worthy addition. Harry's life just gets more and more complicated but it is so fun to read about it. ( )
  maybe_a_wizard | May 22, 2020 |
These novels just keep getting better and better. Very well done, highly recommended. ( )
  stephanie_M | Apr 30, 2020 |
Entertaining

First read: May 2014
Second read: June 2016 ( )
  ElentarriLT | Mar 24, 2020 |
I have now listened to at least three, maybe four Jim Butcher "Dresden Files" books on tape. My wife and I listen to them on long car rides. She likes them because they are read by some actor who was on Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I have to admit that I am usually not a fan of books on tape, but these are really well read, and quite good if you like that sort of thing. I have a feeling the novels themselves might not hold the same appeal if I were reading them. But they're entertaining enough, and I do think the latter ones are better than the ones in the beginning of the series. This one, being in the middle of the series, I felt was also fairly middling. ( )
  livingtech | Mar 18, 2020 |

Jim Butcherprimary authorall editionscalculated
Marsters, JamesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In memory of
Plumicon and Ersha,
fallen heroes.
Some things just aren't meant to go together.

Harry Dresden, Chicago's only practicing professional wizard, should be happy that business is pretty good for a change. But now he's getting more than he bargained for.
  • A duel with the Red Court of Vampires' champion, who must kill Harry to end the war between vampires and wizards
  • Professional hit men using Harry for target practice
  • The missing Shroud of Turin
  • A handless and headless corpse the Chicago police need identified

Not to mention the return of Harry's ex-girlfriend Susan, who's still struggling with her semivampiric nature. And who seems ot ahve a new man in her life.
Some days, it just doesn't pay to get out of bed. No matter how much you're charging.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,123,140 books! | Top bar: Always visible