Death Masks (The Dresden Files, Book 5) by…

Death Masks (The Dresden Files, Book 5) (edition 2003)

by Jim Butcher

Member:katycat
Title:Death Masks (The Dresden Files, Book 5)
Authors:Jim Butcher
Info:Roc (2003), Mass Market Paperback, 378 pages

Death Masks by Jim Butcher

English (132)  German (2)  All languages (134)
Death Masks
4 Stars

One of the more entertaining installments in the series so far.

The plot is comprised of two separate threads. The first focuses on Harry being challenged to a duel in order to end the ongoing war between the Red Court of vampires and the wizard's White Council. The second involves the theft of the Shroud of Turin and the various factions interested in acquiring it. While both storylines have potential, Butcher never quite manages to merge them together cohesively and it is only the second that is truly engrossing.

The Red Court/White Council plot develops slowly in between episodes involving the shroud and the climax and resolution feel more like an afterthought than a crucial element in the novel. In contrast, the mythology surrounding the fallen angels and the Shroud of Turin is original and the development of this storyline is action packed and engrossing.

Harry is in over his head once again but as usual manages to pull it all off with the help of his friends and allies. There are also some compelling hints regarding Harry's family history and it will be interesting to see where this goes in future books.

In terms of the secondary characters, we are treated once again to Michael Carpenter and his vicious wife, Charity, but this time we also have their cute family (Harry's conversation with Molly Carpenter in the treehouse is THE highlight of the book), and a couple of other Knights with intriguing philosophies on life. Some of my favorite characters also make an appearance - Justin, Murphy and Marcone, all contribute to the drama that is Harry's life and we even learn something interesting about the latter. The villains are your typical baddies with megalomaniac tendencies and it is difficult to get worked up about their machinations. Finally, Harry gets some closure regarding his relationship with Susan for which I am personally grateful as she has never been a favorite of mine.

In sum, an enjoyable story and Harry is growing on me like a fungus. He's such a dweeb, you can't help but love him. ( )
  Lauren2013 | May 24, 2018 |
Death Masks is book five in The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher.

I’ve been enjoy The Dresden Files. This time instead of reading I decide to give the audiobook a try. I have to say Narrator James Marsters was outstanding. He brought all the characters to life. Harry’s voice was just what I expected it to sound like. It was perfection. I plan to try out more in The Dresden Files series in audiobook formate. It was a superb listen.

As for the plot well several things are happening in this installment and not all of it was good. We have some grey areas, some bad, and some good. Harry’s got a lot to deal with.

Susan comes back to say good bye for good and to warn him. She’s been gone a year with no contact and just shows up out of the blue. She could have called Harry, but nope she’s back and finds herself involved in Harry’s investigation. Having her back is painful for him. I’m ready for her to go and not return. Close that door, please…

Besides Susan returning, he’s been sent out on another case to find a missing artifact and their’s a prophecy that involves him and this artifact. Oh Boy!! He’s got choices to make, but their are things that you just can’t walk away from.

And, last the Red Court still wants Harry dead and the war is going strong between Vampires and Wizards. As you can see so much to deal with. What could go wrong?

Death Masks brings us Demons, Vampires, a possible Apocalypse and so much more. I had a fabulous time listening to this story. The audio was well worth listing too. Can’t wait to see what happens next to Harry.

Rated: 4 Stars
  angels_gp | Apr 26, 2018 |
The Dresden Files #5 ( )
  jrthebutler | Feb 26, 2018 |
I really enjoyed this book! This was a re-read for me and I liked it just as much the second time around. I did remember some parts of the book from the first time I read the story but I had forgotten most of the details. It has been about a year and half since I listened to the last book in this series and I really enjoyed spending a little bit of time with Harry Dresden once again. This is the fifth book in the series and I do recommend that this series be read in order. This was a book that entertained me from beginning to end.

Harry has a lot going on in this book. I don't even know how he is able to keep everything straight. He has a vampire from the Red Court that wants to duel him. A priest wants his help in finding the Shroud and a few other people would like to get their hands on it as well. An old girlfriend is in town to keep things interesting. Plus there are all the other situations that Harry seems to regularly find himself in. If you are looking for a book with a lot of action, look no further because this book really never slows down.

The characters in this book almost feel real to me. One thing that I love about reading a series like this is how well you get to know each of the characters. It is almost like they are old friends and you can somewhat anticipate how they might react in certain situations. I do think it is also a lot of fun to re-read a longer series like this because the groundwork for future events is being laid. Having already read the later books, I know that some scenes will become more important later on. There are a lot of characters featured in this story that have been very important to the series. I liked seeing Michael and his family as well as the other Knights of the Cross. Thomas, John Marconi, Susan, and Karin also play important roles.

James Marsters takes this book to a whole new level. I originally read this book on my kindle but if I had known how good the audiobook was, I might have went that route the first time around. I think he does a fantastic job in bringing Harry to life. I know what Harry is feeling at times because I can hear it in his voice. I think that he does a great job with all of the characters and the dialogue in the story flows very nicely. He has a very pleasant voice that was easy to listen to for hours at a time.

I do recommend this series to others. I like that it is a fairly complex story with some humor worked in at just the right moments. Harry is a character that is easy to cheer for because in the end he really is a good guy. I am looking forward to continuing with my re-read of the series very soon. ( )
  Carolesrandomlife | Jan 24, 2018 |
I think at this point I've met the major groups for the rest of the DF if I read a forum post correctly (White Council, vamps, faerie, and now Denarians...) This one was okay- interesting, but for whatever reason didn't grab me as much as Summer Knight. Looking at the other reviews, seems I'm in the minority (maybe if I listened to the audio book instead?). Still a decent story though, and one that kept me up late finishing it. ( )
  Daumari | Dec 30, 2017 |

Jim Butcherprimary authorall editionscalculated
Marsters, JamesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In memory of
Plumicon and Ersha,
fallen heroes.
Some things just aren't meant to go together.

Harry Dresden, Chicago's only practicing professional wizard, should be happy that business is pretty good for a change. But now he's getting more than he bargained for.
  • A duel with the Red Court of Vampires' champion, who must kill Harry to end the war between vampires and wizards
  • Professional hit men using Harry for target practice
  • The missing Shroud of Turin
  • A handless and headless corpse the Chicago police need identified

Not to mention the return of Harry's ex-girlfriend Susan, who's still struggling with her semivampiric nature. And who seems ot ahve a new man in her life.
Some days, it just doesn't pay to get out of bed. No matter how much you're charging.

Harry Dresden, Chicago's only practicing wizard, is hired by a mysterious priest to find the stolen Shroud of Turin. But first, Harry must deal with the Red Court of Vampires' champion, professional hit men, and the return of his semi-vampire former girlfriend.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,615,139 books! | Top bar: Always visible