Death Masks (The Dresden Files, Book 5) by…

Death Masks (The Dresden Files, Book 5) (edition 2013)

by Jim Butcher, Vincent Chong (Illustrator)

5,202115859 (4.15)160
Member:donaldmcobb
Title:Death Masks (The Dresden Files, Book 5)
Authors:Jim Butcher (Author)
Other authors:Vincent Chong (Illustrator)
Info:Subterranean Press (2013), Edition: Limited Hardcover
Tags:Urban Fantasy, Signed, Subterranean Press

Death Masks by Jim Butcher

Recently added byQuinesti, TegarSault, youkosiren, HeelFan, private library, Isavarg, AddamsOzeki, Mimsan, Scott_and_Jen

English (114)  German (1)  All languages (115)
Another brilliant read from Jim Butcher. Although you know that Harry will survive everybody else is fair game and I spend the whole book thinking no you can't kill him or her either. ( )
  KarenDuff | Jun 1, 2016 |
Death Masks
4 Stars

One of the more entertaining installments in the series so far.

The plot is comprised of two separate threads. The first focuses on Harry being challenged to a duel in order to end the ongoing war between the Red Court of vampires and the wizard's White Council. The second involves the theft of the Shroud of Turin and the various factions interested in acquiring it. While both storylines have potential, Butcher never quite manages to merge them together cohesively and it is only the second that is truly engrossing.

The Red Court/White Council plot develops slowly in between episodes involving the shroud and the climax and resolution feel more like an afterthought than a crucial element in the novel. In contrast, the mythology surrounding the fallen angels and the Shroud of Turin is original and the development of this storyline is action packed and engrossing.

Harry is in over his head once again but as usual manages to pull it all off with the help of his friends and allies. There are also some compelling hints regarding Harry's family history and it will be interesting to see where this goes in future books.

In terms of the secondary characters, we are treated once again to Michael Carpenter and his vicious wife, Charity, but this time we also have their cute family (Harry's conversation with Molly Carpenter in the treehouse is THE highlight of the book), and a couple of other Knights with intriguing philosophies on life. Some of my favorite characters also make an appearance - Justin, Murphy and Marcone, all contribute to the drama that is Harry's life and we even learn something interesting about the latter. The villains are your typical baddies with megalomaniac tendencies and it is difficult to get worked up about their machinations. Finally, Harry gets some closure regarding his relationship with Susan for which I am personally grateful as she has never been a favorite of mine.

In sum, an enjoyable story and Harry is growing on me like a fungus. He's such a dweeb, you can't help but love him. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Jun 1, 2016 |
*Spoilers*
Woot! Harry is ridiculously awesome! Can't help but love all his sarcastic quips! The Denarians are just brutal. I can't stand Nicodemus and quite frankly I look forward to Harry kicking his ass!! I was a bit sad that Bob wasn't in this one much but I got to read more about Thomas and I think he's a super fun character. I must say that I'm kinda glad that Susan is out of the picture for now. And how freaking weird is it that the Archive is a little girl who loves KITTIES!! lol Yes, I know she will be back. That seems to go without saying. Poor Shiro :( First time I've gotten teary eyed in this series. And I actually feel a bit bad for Marcone. I CAN'T believe Nicodemus got Harry to touch that freaking coin. On the plus side though it will make for some very interesting reading. Oh and I loved the last little part about the satellite!! Well it's on to the next one!! ( )
  LenaR0307 | May 30, 2016 |
it was the weakest of these I have read so far. Some of the imagery is getting a bit tired. I think I need to take a break from these (had the same issue with the discworld novels). ( )
  Felicity-Smith | May 29, 2016 |
Book #5 (of 15), Death Masks, has been read/heard; what a wild ride it was! The narrator/reader, James Marsters, has done (yet again!) a spectacular job of bringing the characters to life (we're talking demons, vampires, werewolves and all manner of icky characters!). I have a soft spot in my heart for Harry Dresden . . his fumbling, his foibles, his failures, his flaws AND, significantly featured in this book - his friendships keep me coming back for more. Harry is one of the good guys; he has grown on me - which leaves me feeling "never quite sure" about how my grandmotherly thought processes will handle his "less-than-well-thought-through" decisions! Regardless of the angst, pathos, stress and distress I experience - as I make my way through The Dresden Files series - Book #5 has been returned to my much-loved library (there is a loooong waiting list for this series); the audio-version of Book #6 (Blood Rites) is sitting on my desk and the Inter-Library Loan search for the audio version of Book #7 (Dead Beat) is underway! Book #6 (Blood Rites) has been borrowed! (on my behalf) from Fort Vancouver Regional Library System . . I'm grateful that Fort Vancouver had it on the shelf!
  idajo | May 8, 2016 |

Jim Butcherprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Marsters, JamesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In memory of
Plumicon and Ersha,
fallen heroes.
Some things just aren't meant to go together.

Harry Dresden, Chicago's only practicing professional wizard, should be happy that business is pretty good for a change. But now he's getting more than he bargained for.
  • A duel with the Red Court of Vampires' champion, who must kill Harry to end the war between vampires and wizards
  • Professional hit men using Harry for target practice
  • The missing Shroud of Turin
  • A handless and headless corpse the Chicago police need identified

Not to mention the return of Harry's ex-girlfriend Susan, who's still struggling with her semivampiric nature. And who seems ot ahve a new man in her life.
Some days, it just doesn't pay to get out of bed. No matter how much you're charging.

Harry Dresden, Chicago's only practicing wizard, is hired by a mysterious priest to find the stolen Shroud of Turin. But first, Harry must deal with the Red Court of Vampires' champion, professional hit men, and the return of his semi-vampire former girlfriend.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,334,668 books! | Top bar: Always visible