Death Masks (The Dresden Files, Book 5) by…

Death Masks (The Dresden Files, Book 5) (edition 2013)

by Jim Butcher (Author), Vincent Chong (Illustrator)

5,331119823 (4.15)166
Member:donaldmcobb
Title:Death Masks (The Dresden Files, Book 5)
Authors:Jim Butcher (Author)
Other authors:Vincent Chong (Illustrator)
Info:Subterranean Press (2013), Edition: Limited Hardcover
Tags:Urban Fantasy, Signed, Subterranean Press

Death Masks by Jim Butcher

English (117)  German (2)  All (119)
Book on CD read by James Marsters
3.5***

In book five of the Dresden Files Series, professional wizard Harry Dresden is hired to find an ancient relic of the Catholic Church. Before he can really begin however, he is challenged to a duel by the warlord of the vampire’s Red Court – Ortega. And then he’s attacked by demons. Just a typical scenario for Dresden …

I like this series mostly because I really like Harry. I love his puns and his self-deprecating humor. I like that he’s a decent guy who inflicts violence on the bad guys, and generally behaves like a gentleman around women (and men). However, as I continue the series I find the plots more and more formulaic.

This one has a few plot twists and some characters that lend interest, including the return of Susan, Harry’s reporter girlfriend. She plays an important part in the plot and I’m glad to see her given more to do than stand around waiting to be rescued. Police Lt Karrin Murphy, however, hardly has anything to do; though in the few scenes where she does appear, her actions are critical to the plot’s outcome. I also liked the expanded role Butcher gave to Michael (one of God’s Knights), but I missed Bob, the spirit who lives in a skull on a shelf in Harry’s basement lab. And finally, it seems that Gentleman Johnny Marcone may not be entirely bad, as one would expect from Chicago’s preeminent crime boss.

James Marsters does a great job voicing the audio. His pacing is suitable to the action-packed plot, but not so fast as to lose the listener. ( )
  BookConcierge | Feb 10, 2017 |
This series continues to be one that I turn to when I need to be distracted or need a little uplift in life. Nothing better to turn my mood around then Harry Dresden battling all the demons of Hell. If you haven't experienced this series in audio, give it a shot. ( )
  jmoncton | Jan 18, 2017 |
Harry gets into trouble and gets out of it. That seems to be the gist of all these Dresden novels. Just heavy enough so that I don't want to read them between" heavier tomes, but not real heavyweight enough to make a solid "meal" of this read.

Still like Butchers other, fantay, series much better." ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
Death Masks
4 Stars

One of the more entertaining installments in the series so far.

The plot is comprised of two separate threads. The first focuses on Harry being challenged to a duel in order to end the ongoing war between the Red Court of vampires and the wizard's White Council. The second involves the theft of the Shroud of Turin and the various factions interested in acquiring it. While both storylines have potential, Butcher never quite manages to merge them together cohesively and it is only the second that is truly engrossing.

The Red Court/White Council plot develops slowly in between episodes involving the shroud and the climax and resolution feel more like an afterthought than a crucial element in the novel. In contrast, the mythology surrounding the fallen angels and the Shroud of Turin is original and the development of this storyline is action packed and engrossing.

Harry is in over his head once again but as usual manages to pull it all off with the help of his friends and allies. There are also some compelling hints regarding Harry's family history and it will be interesting to see where this goes in future books.

In terms of the secondary characters, we are treated once again to Michael Carpenter and his vicious wife, Charity, but this time we also have their cute family (Harry's conversation with Molly Carpenter in the treehouse is THE highlight of the book), and a couple of other Knights with intriguing philosophies on life. Some of my favorite characters also make an appearance - Justin, Murphy and Marcone, all contribute to the drama that is Harry's life and we even learn something interesting about the latter. The villains are your typical baddies with megalomaniac tendencies and it is difficult to get worked up about their machinations. Finally, Harry gets some closure regarding his relationship with Susan for which I am personally grateful as she has never been a favorite of mine.

In sum, an enjoyable story and Harry is growing on me like a fungus. He's such a dweeb, you can't help but love him. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Nov 19, 2016 |
Another brilliant read from Jim Butcher. Although you know that Harry will survive everybody else is fair game and I spend the whole book thinking no you can't kill him or her either. ( )
  KarenDuff | Jun 1, 2016 |

Jim Butcherprimary authorall editionscalculated
Marsters, JamesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In memory of
Plumicon and Ersha,
fallen heroes.
Some things just aren't meant to go together.

Harry Dresden, Chicago's only practicing professional wizard, should be happy that business is pretty good for a change. But now he's getting more than he bargained for.
  • A duel with the Red Court of Vampires' champion, who must kill Harry to end the war between vampires and wizards
  • Professional hit men using Harry for target practice
  • The missing Shroud of Turin
  • A handless and headless corpse the Chicago police need identified

Not to mention the return of Harry's ex-girlfriend Susan, who's still struggling with her semivampiric nature. And who seems ot ahve a new man in her life.
Some days, it just doesn't pay to get out of bed. No matter how much you're charging.

Harry Dresden, Chicago's only practicing wizard, is hired by a mysterious priest to find the stolen Shroud of Turin. But first, Harry must deal with the Red Court of Vampires' champion, professional hit men, and the return of his semi-vampire former girlfriend.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,471,508 books! | Top bar: Always visible