Death Masks (The Dresden Files, Book 5) by…

Death Masks (The Dresden Files, Book 5) (edition 2013)

by Jim Butcher, Vincent Chong (Illustrator)

Member:donaldmcobb
Title:Death Masks (The Dresden Files, Book 5)
Authors:Jim Butcher (Author)
Other authors:Vincent Chong (Illustrator)
Info:Subterranean Press (2013), Edition: Limited Hardcover
Tags:Urban Fantasy, Signed, Subterranean Press

Death Masks by Jim Butcher

English (87)  German (1)  All languages (88)
Wow, this series keeps getting better and better. The fifth book of the Dresden files has intensity, character depth, passion, and intrigue. I read this one seemingly faster than the previous four. Will Harry and Nicodemus meet again soon? Can't wait to find out. ( )
  utbw42 | Dec 8, 2014 |
Harry Dresden must work against the clock to prevent world disaster. Sound familiar? Well, it is, but it isn't redundant. Jim Butcher has a fertile and imaginative mind when it comes to super-natural ways to destroy people. In spite of the odds being overwhelmingly against him, Dresden perseveres, which is why we love him.

I enjoy the juxtaposition of Faith and stubborn belief in this book. The Knights of the Cross are all present with their faith, and Harry shows up with his stubborn belief in doing what is right. There is a subtle difference in taking action because you know God is in control of the results regardless of what happens to you, and taking action knowing that even if you don't succeed, you know you could never live with yourself if you didn't try. Butcher manages to portray each of these viewpoints honorably, which is one of the reasons I love reading his works. ( )
  MrsLee | Nov 17, 2014 |
This series has definitely gotten better with Death Masks. While I enjoyed the previous entries, this one is definitely my favorite. Looking forward to the rest of them. ( )
  PaulDW | Oct 14, 2014 |
This book is where I decided to stop reading the Dresden Files. I was digging the noir, but I have a low tolerance for increasing sex and violence in my pulp fiction. I wasn't jiving with the author's plot choices as far as character development. I began to suspect that his mom's secret past wasn't going anywhere I would find interesting, and that all I knew about his uncle already was all I was going to get. Wikipedia basically confirmed these suspicions.

I enjoyed reading the first five books, but I'm not going to continue with the series. ( )
  CassandraT | Oct 10, 2014 |
Death Masks by Jim Butcher is the fifth of the Dresden Files books. After struggling to read the last couple it was refreshing to click with this one. The Shroud of Turin (tricky, relic that it is) has gone missing again and this time it's in Chicago.

While Dresden needs to find the shroud, he has different factions all after him and in order to succeed and survive, he needs to make alliances against his better judgment. One of his most unlikely allies is the teenager daughter of his friend, Michael.

In previous books, Michael's family was a big part of the turn off. They were there to be victims and diversions from the plot. This time, though, Molly is refreshing hilarious, and believable.

Then there is the return of Susan, the almost vampire. In the past she was played up for melodrama and unrequited love and all that. This time, she's back as an ally, albeit a somewhat untrustworthy one.

The mystery itself was engaging and entertaining. It had more of a caper slant to it, something that lets Butcher's sense of humor shine through. He's really good at putting Dresden into unlikely situations and seeing how they play out. ( )
  pussreboots | Oct 5, 2014 |

Jim Butcherprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Marsters, JamesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In memory of Plumicon and Ersha, fallen heroes.
Some things just aren't meant to go together.

Harry Dresden, Chicago's only practicing professional wizard, should be happy that business is pretty good for a change. But now he's getting more than he bargained for.
  • A duel with the Red Court of Vampires' champion, who must kill Harry to end the war between vampires and wizards
  • Professional hit men using Harry for target practice
  • The missing Shroud of Turin
  • A handless and headless corpse the Chicago police need identified

Not to mention the return of Harry's ex-girlfriend Susan, who's still struggling with her semivampiric nature. And who seems ot ahve a new man in her life.
Some days, it just doesn't pay to get out of bed. No matter how much you're charging.

Harry Dresden, Chicago's only practicing wizard, is hired by a mysterious priest to find the stolen Shroud of Turin. But first, Harry must deal with the Red Court of Vampires' champion, professional hit men, and the return of his semi-vampire former girlfriend.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,390,645 books! | Top bar: Always visible