Death Masks (The Dresden Files, Book 5) by…

Death Masks (The Dresden Files, Book 5) (edition 2013)

by Jim Butcher, Vincent Chong (Illustrator)

Member:donaldmcobb
Title:Death Masks (The Dresden Files, Book 5)
Authors:Jim Butcher (Author)
Other authors:Vincent Chong (Illustrator)
Info:Subterranean Press (2013), Edition: Limited Hardcover
Tags:Urban Fantasy, Signed, Subterranean Press

Death Masks by Jim Butcher

English (89)  German (1)  All languages (90)
A vampire wants to duel you to the death, your old girlfriend is back in town, and someone has stolen the Shroud of Turin. Just another day in the life of Harry Dresden, wizard. This is a darker installment in the series, with a larger helping of truly gruesome death than usual. But I still enjoyed it. I liked Susan a lot better than I had previously; I never really felt the chemistry between her and Harry before this, so it was a nice development, if a touch bittersweet. I liked Shiro, who reminded me of Mr. Miyagi, and I rather enjoyed seeing Marcone again. This is the sort of series I prefer to read: maybe not OMG best book evar, but every title is solidly and reliably entertaining. ( )
  melydia | Jan 12, 2015 |
I won't linger too much on the autopsy of what I read. This book died on me. It came as unexpected. Someone told me that Summer Knight was a disappointment and Death Masks its superior. The fact that for me the reverse was true shouldn't have been a surprise. But books' reputations cannot be counted on. They are unreliable.

Fear not, you'll take something from reading Death Masks. I did too. But, such rewards were too few.I think that the presence of a character such as Shiro complicated matters. The two major happenings to Shiro were treated shallowly. I mean Dresden got over the first Shiro event by making out with his belle(more of that later, or that's what I'd say if I wanted to write uselessly about Jim Butcher's love litanies), and got over the second by bellowing out a big yee-haw! I thought Bob's complete and utter disappearance was a non sequitur. I thought the Dresden world got bigger. I thought the magic was nothing new. The little kids like Molly and "Ivy" added little. The one with the best role in the end was Marcone. I don't want to like a drug baron. But in the end, the things that can please me were simply in short supply here. Reading is, for the discerning, a gamble. That's how it should be. I'll be there when it pays off. ( )
  Jiraiya | Jan 12, 2015 |
Wow, this series keeps getting better and better. The fifth book of the Dresden files has intensity, character depth, passion, and intrigue. I read this one seemingly faster than the previous four. Will Harry and Nicodemus meet again soon? Can't wait to find out. ( )
  utbw42 | Dec 8, 2014 |
Harry Dresden must work against the clock to prevent world disaster. Sound familiar? Well, it is, but it isn't redundant. Jim Butcher has a fertile and imaginative mind when it comes to super-natural ways to destroy people. In spite of the odds being overwhelmingly against him, Dresden perseveres, which is why we love him.

I enjoy the juxtaposition of Faith and stubborn belief in this book. The Knights of the Cross are all present with their faith, and Harry shows up with his stubborn belief in doing what is right. There is a subtle difference in taking action because you know God is in control of the results regardless of what happens to you, and taking action knowing that even if you don't succeed, you know you could never live with yourself if you didn't try. Butcher manages to portray each of these viewpoints honorably, which is one of the reasons I love reading his works. ( )
  MrsLee | Nov 17, 2014 |
This series has definitely gotten better with Death Masks. While I enjoyed the previous entries, this one is definitely my favorite. Looking forward to the rest of them. ( )
  PaulDW | Oct 14, 2014 |

Jim Butcherprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Marsters, JamesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In memory of Plumicon and Ersha, fallen heroes.
Some things just aren't meant to go together.

Harry Dresden, Chicago's only practicing professional wizard, should be happy that business is pretty good for a change. But now he's getting more than he bargained for.
  • A duel with the Red Court of Vampires' champion, who must kill Harry to end the war between vampires and wizards
  • Professional hit men using Harry for target practice
  • The missing Shroud of Turin
  • A handless and headless corpse the Chicago police need identified

Not to mention the return of Harry's ex-girlfriend Susan, who's still struggling with her semivampiric nature. And who seems ot ahve a new man in her life.
Some days, it just doesn't pay to get out of bed. No matter how much you're charging.

Harry Dresden, Chicago's only practicing wizard, is hired by a mysterious priest to find the stolen Shroud of Turin. But first, Harry must deal with the Red Court of Vampires' champion, professional hit men, and the return of his semi-vampire former girlfriend.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,076,317 books! | Top bar: Always visible