Death Masks (The Dresden Files, Book 5) by…

Death Masks (The Dresden Files, Book 5) (edition 2013)

by Jim Butcher (Author), Vincent Chong (Illustrator)

Member:donaldmcobb
Title:Death Masks (The Dresden Files, Book 5)
Authors:Jim Butcher (Author)
Other authors:Vincent Chong (Illustrator)
Info:Subterranean Press (2013), Edition: Limited Hardcover
Tags:Urban Fantasy, Signed, Subterranean Press

Death Masks by Jim Butcher

English (121)  German (2)  All (123)
A friend is sending me the books, so I'm a little out of order. Having done that. I do highly suggest reading them in order as there are some things are out of context. For most part you can put things together but others parts that would have been a great deal better thread for an overall plot.

This particular book though still excellent a coming together and gelling of both the characters, plot, and theme. This series seems to have the edge of only gets better as it goes on. :) (Yes I have an awesome friend for sending them to me) ( )
  tabicham | Jul 22, 2017 |
The Dresden Files are a fantastic series following Harry Dresden, renegade (kinda) wizard as he "does the right thing" over and over, often detrimental to his own well being. ( )
  J9Plourde | Jun 13, 2017 |
I don't know what it is about the Dresden files books but I really enjoy them despite not really liking the main character and some real clangers in Butcher's writing. ( )
  kale.dyer | Mar 10, 2017 |
Another great urban fantasy story featuring Chicago's only wizard, Harry Dresden. The action's centered around the Shroud of Turin this time, that, and the ongoing war between the wizards and the vampires. Harry's corny humor and the introduction of a few new characters keep things feeling fresh and original even though this is #5 in the series. And Jim Marsters' narration of the audiobook is his best yet. ( )
  wandaly | Feb 25, 2017 |
Book on CD read by James Marsters
3.5***

In book five of the Dresden Files Series, professional wizard Harry Dresden is hired to find an ancient relic of the Catholic Church. Before he can really begin however, he is challenged to a duel by the warlord of the vampire’s Red Court – Ortega. And then he’s attacked by demons. Just a typical scenario for Dresden …

I like this series mostly because I really like Harry. I love his puns and his self-deprecating humor. I like that he’s a decent guy who inflicts violence on the bad guys, and generally behaves like a gentleman around women (and men). However, as I continue the series I find the plots more and more formulaic.

This one has a few plot twists and some characters that lend interest, including the return of Susan, Harry’s reporter girlfriend. She plays an important part in the plot and I’m glad to see her given more to do than stand around waiting to be rescued. Police Lt Karrin Murphy, however, hardly has anything to do; though in the few scenes where she does appear, her actions are critical to the plot’s outcome. I also liked the expanded role Butcher gave to Michael (one of God’s Knights), but I missed Bob, the spirit who lives in a skull on a shelf in Harry’s basement lab. And finally, it seems that Gentleman Johnny Marcone may not be entirely bad, as one would expect from Chicago’s preeminent crime boss.

James Marsters does a great job voicing the audio. His pacing is suitable to the action-packed plot, but not so fast as to lose the listener. ( )
  BookConcierge | Feb 10, 2017 |

Jim Butcherprimary authorall editionscalculated
Marsters, JamesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In memory of
Plumicon and Ersha,
fallen heroes.
Some things just aren't meant to go together.

Harry Dresden, Chicago's only practicing professional wizard, should be happy that business is pretty good for a change. But now he's getting more than he bargained for.
  • A duel with the Red Court of Vampires' champion, who must kill Harry to end the war between vampires and wizards
  • Professional hit men using Harry for target practice
  • The missing Shroud of Turin
  • A handless and headless corpse the Chicago police need identified

Not to mention the return of Harry's ex-girlfriend Susan, who's still struggling with her semivampiric nature. And who seems ot ahve a new man in her life.
Some days, it just doesn't pay to get out of bed. No matter how much you're charging.

Harry Dresden, Chicago's only practicing wizard, is hired by a mysterious priest to find the stolen Shroud of Turin. But first, Harry must deal with the Red Court of Vampires' champion, professional hit men, and the return of his semi-vampire former girlfriend.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,162,408 books! | Top bar: Always visible