Drowned Ammet by Diana Wynne Jones

Drowned Ammet (original 1977; edition 2003)

by Diana Wynne Jones

Title:Drowned Ammet
Authors:Diana Wynne Jones (Author)
Info:Oxford : Oxford University Press, 2003.
Collections:Library Loans, Read but unowned
Tags:fiction, read, 2012, library, november, children's, fantasy, bb

Drowned Ammet by Diana Wynne Jones (1977)

Substance: A very odd, but deep, story of children and how they are molded by their parents, and how they escape.
Style: A bit different from her usual style, more somber. ( )
  librisissimo | Feb 14, 2015 |
Diana Wynne Jones doesn't make the worldbuilding too easy to follow. I remember reading in her collected non-fiction writings that she found that children made the leaps her books require much more easily than adults do. So I try to think like a child when I read her work (it sort of pleases me, the way people are often so snobby about children "not understanding" adult literature -- which I did, on some level at least, from the age of nine -- that perhaps this is something children understand better, and not because it's infantile in any way: it just requires flexibility of brain). Sometimes it still jars -- like the scene in the storm where suddenly another two people join the ship.

There's still something so different about this book to the other books of Jones' that I can think of. Normally they feel so light, or they make light of bad situations, but the tyranny and terrorism and betrayal in this story just... It has a darker feel, even when it's still handled pretty lightly at times. ( )
  shanaqui | Apr 9, 2013 |
It's an interesting look at the attraction of bucking the system and the consequences of doing it. While Mitt is young, he's also ambitious and society is constructed in such a way as to keep him down, all he can do is try to fight the system that is around him and he gets sucked into violence.

It's an interesting story, mostly about how easy it is to pull a trigger but much harder to deal with the aftermath. The ripples from what Mitt does cascade from him and his life will never be the same again. It's subtle and the magic is minimal but it's an interesting read. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Nov 5, 2012 |
Prickly, would-be bomber-assassin protagonist!

Yes, you read that right. Even in perhaps her most typical young-adult high fantasy series, Diana Wynne Jones still has her touches of subversion. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

Drowned Ammet shifts the action to the port city of Holand, where young Mitt joins the secret resistance in hope of avenging his father's death. He shares the focus with Ynen and Hilda, who as high-born grandchildren of Earl Hadd suffer less but at closer range from his dictatorial rule.

With escape, secrets, sailing(!), the story happens to be a lot of fun. Additionally however, Drowned Ammet doesn't shy away from some hard questions for rebel Mitt: is he a fearless hero or a selfish terrorist? And although aristocrat Hilda and Ynen's journey doesn't quite have the same momentum until they inevitably collide with Mitt, the dual viewpoints* provide a much clearer look at the troubles in Dalemark than we got in the first book.

Where Cart ended merely with a question mark, Drowned ends with a question mark, the shadow of a 'to be continued', and the distinct whiff of deus ex machina-- which prevents me from endorsing it fully. In a finished series, I really appreciate closure at the end of every individual book. But it's not entirely damning to leave loose ends in the middle to be tied up at the end, so I'll reserve my judgment for when I finish up with The Spellcoats and The Crown of Dalemark.

*Mitt and Hilda's conflict-ful air don't quite measure up to Jones's benchmark (Charles and Nan from Witch Week), but they come awfully close, much to my enjoyment. ( )
1 vote kaionvin | Aug 20, 2010 |
For my mother
People may wonder how Mitt came to join in the Holand Sea Festival, carrying a bomb, and what he thought he was doing.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0192752782, Paperback)

Drowned Ammet is the story of Mitt, a boy who joins a band of Freedom Fighters in a bid to try and crush the tyrranical ruler of Holand, and at the same time, to get revenge on the people who killed his father. BLDiana Wynne Jones is recognized as being one of the most outstanding writers of fantasy in recent times. BLThe Dalemark Quartet books are for good readers who have enjoyed the Christopher Chant books by the same author. The books contain the same ability to immerse the reader with real child characters having magical adventures in an imaginary world. BLThis genre of fantasy writing is currently very popular due to the success of the recent 'Lord of the Rings' film. BLDiana Wynne Jones has won the Guardian award for fiction and has written over twenty novels in less than twenty years.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:43 -0400)

When his protest against the tyrannical government fails, a young boy escapes, with two other children, to the mysterious Holy Islands where they learn the identity and the power of two folk figures celebrated by their countrymen.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,862,566 books! | Top bar: Always visible