Drowned Wednesday by Garth Nix

Drowned Wednesday (2005)

by Garth Nix

Series: Keys to the Kingdom (3)

English (36)  Dutch (1)  All languages (37)
Dear Dame Primus,
Lady Wednesday invited me to luncheon and sent a ship for me, but due to an accident I am now in another Secondary Realm with a different, wrecked ship, called the Moth. A House Sorcerer called Dr. Skamandross is sending this letter for me. I think I might try to find the Third Part of the Will, since I'm here. If you can send help or advice that would be good.

Shipwrecks, pirates, the Mariner, the strange curse on Lady Wednesday and especially the wonderful Raised Rats made this the most enjoyable book in the series so far. I also liked how Arthur is changing as he grows into his role, realising that he will have to deal with the remaining Morrow Days himself rather than running back to his everyday life and leaving Dame Primus in charge. ( )
  isabelx | Jun 9, 2015 |
A Quarta-Feira chegou, e Artur Penhalignon recebeu um convite irrecusável para voltar à Casa. Embora o garoto viva em uma cidade a muitos quilômetros de distância de todos os oceanos, 'Quarta-Feira Submersa' enviou um navio para busca-lo. No trajeto entre o quarto de hospital e o alto-mar, Artur se vê envolvido em uma aventura que o faz enfrentar piratas, tempestades, explosões e uma criatura enorme disposta a comer o que encontrar pela frente. Em meio a isso tudo, ele entra em contato com o mistério central da Casa. Artur deve ir em busca da terceira parte do Testamento e reclamar a Terceira Chave para impedir o sofrimento de milhões de pessoas. O primeiro desafio? Sobreviver a bordo de um navio no Mar Fronteiriço.
  melissa.gamador | Sep 10, 2014 |
This is the third volume in Garth Nix’ series about Arthur and his adventures. Arthur has already defeated Monday and Tuesday, which brought him two of the seven keys. Now he has to face Wednesday. Wednesday governs the large sea of the House that can even be expanded to reach into the human worlds. Arthur learns this the hard way when his hospital room is suddenly flooded. He and his friend Leaf are drawn into the world of the House, in the middle of the ocean, where they have only Arthur’s hospital bed to prevent them from drowning. But the bed won’t stay above water for long.
In comparison to Nix’ other series I’ve read, the Abhorsen books, this series is aimed at a younger audience. Having read it so far, however, I think that those books belong to those that can be read and enjoyed by all ages. Nix creates a vivid world with wonderful characters. They can be funny, scary, sympathetic or just plain disagreeable.
In this respect Drowned Wednesday didn’t disappoint. After having already read two books in the series that had the same basis: Arthur has to go into the House to find the ruler of the part of the House that is the current topic of the book. In this book Nix introduces a slightly varied background in this respect and I really enjoyed that. I also liked to see old characters return (especially Susi).
I listened to the German audiobook read by Oliver Rohrbeck. Rohrbeck is a great narrator and gives life to those books. As such those audiobooks are highly recommendable for Germans. The only downside of the audiobook is the fact that it is an abridged production. I got the audiobook from the library, which is the only reason I listened to this abridged production (I refuse to buy any abridged audiobooks). Considering that the books aren’t that long in the first place the abridgment is probably not as severe as in other books. Not having read the books before listening to the audiobook I can’t say whether the abridgment affects important parts of the books. At least there weren’t any abrupt changes or scenes where I thought there was something missing.
The books only exist as an English audiobook production, which as far as I can tell is unabridged, but not having listened to that, I can’t say anything on its quality. ( )
  Zurpel | Sep 22, 2013 |
I just finished listening to the audio as part of my reread of the series. I'd forgotten how much I loved this book. It's definitely my favorite of the series so far. Not only is there plenty of humor - I love the Carp and the crew of the Moth - but it's really a turning point where Arthur begins to take the initiative rather than just reacting to events. ( )
  SheilaRuth | Aug 23, 2013 |
The quest by Arthur Penhaligon continues! Arthur has defeated Mister Monday and Grim Tuesday. In this book he seeks out Lady Wednesday, a trustee of the seas who through massive overeating has turned into an enormous whale. Since each of the Days represents one of the Seven Deadly Sins, my guess is that this is Gluttony! As with the other books in this series, Garth Nix creates a magical out-of-this-world setting with a strong plot. Great humor and a great listen. "Long Swim the Carp!" ( )
  jmoncton | Jun 3, 2013 |

Garth Nixprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Stevens, TimIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
en op de derde dag waren er piraten...
To Anna, Thomas and Edward, and to all my friends and family
A three-masted square-rigger with iridescent green sails that shone by day or night, the Flying Mantis was a fast and lucky ship.

The next spellbinding book in best-selling author Garth Nix's magical Keys to the Kingdom series.

Everyone is after Arthur Penhaligon. Strange pirates. Shadowy creatures. And Drowned Wednesday, whose gluttony threatens both her world and Arthur's.

With his unlimited imagination and thrilling storytelling, Garth Nix has created a character and a world that become even more compelling with each book. As Arthur gets closer to the heart of his quest, the suspense and mystery grow more and more intense. . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:37:56 -0400)

Everyone is after Arthur Penhaligon including strange pirates, shadowy creatures, and Drowned Wednesday, whose gluttony threatens both her world and Arthur's.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,853,693 books! | Top bar: Always visible