Fool's Errand by Robin Hobb

Fool's Errand (2002)

by Robin Hobb

Series: Tawny Man Trilogy (1), Realm of the Elderlings (7)

Recently added byWindering, pcollins, private library, Scorbet, catiew, rbnvrw, kimberly--ann

Wah, Nighteyes! *crying*

Okay...attempting to move on from that heartbreak...

For some odd reason, I spent most of this book thinking about the next book I was going to read. I enjoyed reading it, yes, and I'd been looking forward to reading it for a while. But I couldn't keep my mind from wandering a bit. I'm not sure why that is- around page 400 or so, it finally hooked me. Perhaps it was because Fitz kept meandering through, reluctant to start anything. The beginning of the book was very staid.

I look forward to coming back to this series, but a while from now. ( )
  liveshipvivacia | Apr 26, 2014 |
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.
This review refers to the entire Tawny Man Trilogy:

Robin Hobb is one of my favorite fantasy authors because her stories are unique and complex and she's a great writer. Her prose is pleasant and she is particularly good at characterization; When you get finished with her books, you feel like her characters are your friends and you hate to say goodbye! Her plots are absorbing and they move forward at a pleasant pace.

Fitz of The Farseer Saga is one of my favorite fantasy heroes. He is so well characterized — I felt a lot of empathy for his situation. I was really upset when the first trilogy ended (things weren't so great for Fitz), but then I found out that his story continues in The Tawny Man Trilogy. I think that was one of the happiest days of my life. I was filled with hope for Fitz. I immediately sent my husband to the bookstore with a picture of the book and told him not to come home without it. I was happy with the way Fitz's story ended. It wasn't one of those rush, rush, and they lived happily ever after endings. It was a bit sad; it seemed realistic. It was wonderfully done. These are books that I’ll definitely read again!

Read more Robin Hobb book reviews at Fantasy literature. ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |
This trilogy is a return to Fitz. In my opinion, that's a very, very good thing, because my enjoyment of Hobb's writing skyrocketed back up, after Liveships which I found difficult and disappointing. It's interesting to see how Hobb builds Fitz back up into a fit and capable character after his life seemed to be over at the end of Farseers. ( )
  shanaqui | Apr 9, 2013 |
There are sooooo many things I like about Hobbs books, and this one was no disappointment.
The characters are the same as always,; well, even 'matured', if you may, so they show depth that others book not always show. The world is as beautiful and complex as ever, and then of course there's the politics and court intrigue... even if this one is but a prelude of what is to come.

One of the things I like most of these books, outside of character and world development, is that no matter what book you pick up first, it's well explained enough and has enough references and tidbits, that you wouldn't really get lost if you started with the last and worked your way randomly through the trilogies. Sure, you'd be missing out on the typical details of understanding and backstory, but the gist of it is explained so that you know what happened before and aren't completely lost.

I did find that this first one repeated itself a little where there was no need to. I thought it a bit odd, as I hadn't found the Farseer trilogy to be so, but it was only in a couple parts and not too noticeable, so it didn't bother me much.

At any rate, I loved this book and can't wait to finish the other two. ( )
  AshuritaLove | Apr 7, 2013 |
The books brings us back to Buch Duchy and Fitz and Nighteyes and it is a welcome return. Although I enjoyed the Liveship Traders trilogy the characters were not as engrossing or lovable as the characters in these books.

This trilogy promises to reveal more about the Wit and the Skill, as well as focusing more on the relationship between the Fool and Fitz. Hobb's writing is on top form and this, combined with the truly interesting characters and plots, means that you quickly find you can't put it down. These series are some of the best written and engrossing novels I have read in recent years and I recommend them wholeheartedly. ( )
  prettycurious | Feb 10, 2013 |

Robin Hobbprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Howe, JohnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Santikko, SauliTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Youll, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Is time the wheel that turns, or the track it leaves behind? Kelstar's Riddle
For Ruth and her Stripers,
Alexander and Crusades.
He came one late, wet spring, and brought the wide world back to my doorstep.
Grief has always seemed to me a time of waiting not for the hurt to pass, but to become accustomed to it.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553582445, Mass Market Paperback)

This first volume of a new trilogy from one of fantasy's most popular and skilled authors will delight longtime Hobb fans as well as first-time readers of her work.

FitzChivalry, the hero of The Farseer trilogy, now lives an isolated and quiet life with his foster son Hap and his Wit partner wolf, Nighteyes, until he is sought out by his old mentor Chade and the enigmatic, charming Fool. Once again, duty calls: Fitz must find a missing prince and prevent political chaos in the Six Duchies. The mission will test his conflicting loyalty to country and family, his uneasy compromise with his own magic, and all the relationships he values most.

If you're a fantasy fan who hasn't yet explored the Farseer world, this is a fine place to start: Hobb deftly provides new readers with all the needed information. The finely detailed world building and intensive character development rarely slow down the action of the story. Fool's Errand is a complex, beautifully written and sometimes heart-rending examination of the consequences of duty and love. --Roz Genessee

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:43:10 -0400)

FitzChivalry Farseer emerges from seclusion when Prince Dutiful, the young heir to the Farseer throne, disappears, and as Fitz sets out to find the Prince before his betrothal ceremony, he is unexpectedly confronted by betrayal and intrigue at every turn.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,607,138 books! | Top bar: Always visible