Fool's errand by Robin Hobb

Fool's errand (original 2002; edition 2001)

by Robin Hobb

Member:Sabinko
Title:Fool's errand
Authors:Robin Hobb
Info:London : Voyager, 2001.

Fool's Errand by Robin Hobb (2002)

Recently added bymcclar, private library, yon.birkie, Ehhhhh, juks44, Ellemir, brewfox, Peace2, atomeshy

This is a resumption of the story started with Fitz and the Fool from many years before. Fitz is living alone, in seclusion, with his wolf and his adopted boy when he gets dragged into a search for a missing Prince.
It was a pleasure to come back to Robin Hobb's world again and to the characters she created. Fitz has to carefully guard the secret of his bond with his wolf--the land is not kind to anyone with the "Gift". The Fool now has a new persona but is still very intriguing and still battling to keep the future from the ghastliness that could come if he doesn't intervene. 4.5 stars. Great narrator as well in James Langton. ( )
  quiBee | Jan 21, 2016 |
Substance: Standard pseudo-medieval magic land, although the differentiation of types of magic is interesting (Skill, Wit, hedge). Takes a long time to get to the real story, but not uninteresting. Essentially retells the story from the Assassin's Trilogy in the first 90 pages, with further retrospection through-out.
Style: Generally straight-forward narrative, with some irritating and unnecessary back-stitching. ( )
  librisissimo | Nov 4, 2015 |
Read Robin Hobb's Farseer series a long time ago. This was great to come back to meet the protagonist, suitably aged and enjoying a quiet existence then being thrust back into intrigue. Great to see the Fool make a return as well - what a character. Straight on to book 2 [bc:Fool's Errand|68488|Fool's Errand (Tawny Man, #1)|Robin Hobb|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1360508839s/68488.jpg|2406151] ( )
  garethmottram | Oct 27, 2015 |
This is the first book by Robin Hobb that I’ve read and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It’s the first book of an anticipated trilogy and apparently this is the second trilogy involving the central character, FitzCivalry Farseer. Not having read the first trilogy (Assassin’s Apprentice, Royal Assassin, Assassin’s Quest) meant that I was behind on a lot of the background. While I could easily follow the plot of Fool’s Errand, I wouldn’t recommend that others start in the middle as I did. If nothing else, it's skipping a lot of what is almost certainly great stuff.

Fool’s Errand in a very well-written fantasy. Although Hobb took her time in introducing the central conflict, I found her characters so engaging that I was very willing to stick with the story. Hobb has produced a convincing world filled with interesting, well-realized people. The story’s conflict revolves around the practice of two different types of magic, but it's the social consequences of using one of them - the Wit - that's at the core of the conflict. This is because magic in this world is a manifestation of special talent that not everyone has, and I would say that the book's theme is intolerance. Hobb makes the social conflict and its ramifications powerfully convincing.

The central character, Fitz, is a complex person with a complex history. I’d like to read more about him, and my dilemma at this point is whether to backtrack and read the earlier trilogy to satisfy that desire. Inevitably, Fool’s Errand has handed me a lot of spoilers. My sense is that the quality of Robin Hobb’s writing is such that I would still find plenty to enjoy in those earlier books even if I already know the major plot twists. That’s a compliment similar to saying that a book stands up to re-reading. ( )
  Carol_W | Aug 17, 2015 |
I might have given this book 5 stars if it didn't have such an excruciatingly slow start. It takes the main character over 200 pages to leave his house, even though we all know from page 1 (or 5, at the latest) that he will go. Once he finally gets going, it's good. ( )
  Amelia_Smith | May 2, 2015 |

Robin Hobbprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Howe, JohnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Santikko, SauliTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Youll, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Is time the wheel that turns, or the track it leaves behind? Kelstar's Riddle
For Ruth and her Stripers,
Alexander and Crusades.
He came one late, wet spring, and brought the wide world back to my doorstep.
Grief has always seemed to me a time of waiting not for the hurt to pass, but to become accustomed to it.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553582445, Mass Market Paperback)

This first volume of a new trilogy from one of fantasy's most popular and skilled authors will delight longtime Hobb fans as well as first-time readers of her work.

FitzChivalry, the hero of The Farseer trilogy, now lives an isolated and quiet life with his foster son Hap and his Wit partner wolf, Nighteyes, until he is sought out by his old mentor Chade and the enigmatic, charming Fool. Once again, duty calls: Fitz must find a missing prince and prevent political chaos in the Six Duchies. The mission will test his conflicting loyalty to country and family, his uneasy compromise with his own magic, and all the relationships he values most.

If you're a fantasy fan who hasn't yet explored the Farseer world, this is a fine place to start: Hobb deftly provides new readers with all the needed information. The finely detailed world building and intensive character development rarely slow down the action of the story. Fool's Errand is a complex, beautifully written and sometimes heart-rending examination of the consequences of duty and love. --Roz Genessee

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:17 -0400)

FitzChivalry Farseer emerges from seclusion when Prince Dutiful, the young heir to the Farseer throne, disappears, and as Fitz sets out to find the Prince before his betrothal ceremony, he is unexpectedly confronted by betrayal and intrigue at every turn.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,071,788 books! | Top bar: Always visible