Grave Peril (The Dresden Files, Book 3) by…

Grave Peril (The Dresden Files, Book 3) (edition 2001)

by Jim Butcher

Member:kissmeimgone
Title:Grave Peril (The Dresden Files, Book 3)
Authors:Jim Butcher
Info:Roc (2001), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 378 pages
Collections:Your library, Favorites
Rating:*****

Grave Peril by Jim Butcher

Recently added bypreplibrary

English (139)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (142)
Darker theme than the first two Dresden books, but equally as enjoyable. Butcher is building a nice catalogue of villians for Harry in future novels in this series. ( )
  utbw42 | Dec 8, 2014 |
Best one so far. ( )
  ladypembroke | Nov 22, 2014 |
The lack of a crucial wow factor denies this book a 5 star rating. If I were sure of my facts, I would admit that my reserves grew from the completely new laws of Grave Peril. I didn't find anything that didn't make sense. Any doubt were converted to appreciative nods. It's just that Harry's messiah and guilt complex is a slight bit grating. His cycle of depleted and regenerated powers are courting routine. I don't know anything about the next book. Somehow I don't think there will be a full out war. Anyway I thrive on surprises in my books and this one gave me plenty to think of. I like the author's imagination. My own is not as good, but I'll quip one phrase. Never say Nevernever. There, I got that out of the way. ( )
  Jiraiya | Oct 9, 2014 |
I love this series. The characters are fun, the world is interesting, and the plots have a nice Pot Boiler clip to them. Rarely a dull moment...except when Butcher rambles. Which he does.

Butcher likes to have Dresden, who is the narrator, wax philosophical, or express in far too many words his options and thoughts about a character or action. Often in the middle of a fight scene.

I get the impression that the books don't get edited. Someone needs to get out a red pen.

But none of that matters too much. It doesn't stop me from wanting to read them. Its easy enough to skip a few paragraphs when it becomes too internal and pointless. And the characters are indeed wonderful.

Butcher has a gift for getting his point across without the wordy pointless self discussions, so I don't know why he indulges. He can make you cry or laugh or cheer for his heroes. He even makes you vacillate between disgust and sympathy for some of his villains.

blatherlikeme | Sep 28, 2014 |
This was a reread for me, choosing the format of audio with James Marsters narrating. Lovely, lovely time. I didn't want it to end. Can't believe I had forgotten so much of this one. Anyway, Harry is up against Ghosts, vampires, and his Faerie Godmother. He is put into impossible situations, because he will insist on doing the "Right Thing," and impossibly gets out of them. I love this stuff. ( )
  MrsLee | Sep 2, 2014 |

Jim Butcherprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Chong, VincentIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marsters, JamesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

There are reasons I hate to drive fast.
I felt uncomfortable, approaching the church -- not for any weirdo quasi-mystical reason. Just because I'd never been comfortable with churches in general. The Church had killed a lot of wizards in its day, believing them in league with Satan. It felt strange to be just strolling up on business. Hi, God, it's me, Harry. Please don't turn me into a pillar of salt. (chapter 9)
Thaumaturgy is traditional magic, all about drawing symbolic links between items or people then investing energy to get the effect that you want. You can do a lot with thaumaturgy, provided you have enough time to plan things out, and more time to prepare a ritual, the symbolic objects, and the magical circle.
I've yet to meet a slobbering monster polite enough to wait for me to finish. (Harry, chapter 16)

In all his years of supernatural sleuthing, Harry Dresden has never faced anything like this: the spirit world's gone postal. These ghosts are tormented, violent, and deadly. Someone-or something-is purposely stirring them up to wreak unearthly havoc. But why? If Harry doesn't figure it out soon, he could wind up a ghost himself.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451458443, Mass Market Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:53:35 -0400)

F Kent ; XX-CDF ; 10CD/1AW ; SA ; CD24I.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,459,789 books! | Top bar: Always visible