Grave Peril (The Dresden Files, Book 3) by…

Grave Peril (The Dresden Files, Book 3) (edition 2001)

by Jim Butcher

6,194178655 (4.01)244
Member:kissmeimgone
Title:Grave Peril (The Dresden Files, Book 3)
Authors:Jim Butcher
Info:Roc (2001), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 378 pages
Collections:Your library, Favorites
Rating:*****

Grave Peril by Jim Butcher

English (174)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  Catalan (1)  English (177)
Grave Peril
3 Stars

Many have stated that Grave Peril is the turning point in the series for the better. After considering the plot and the characters, I must confess that I found Fool Moon to be far more entertaining.

Don't get me wrong. Harry and his quirks are very endearing but a number of issues irritated me in this installment. First, Murphy barely makes an appearance and the absence of a strong willed, take no prisoners, female character detracts from the overall effect of the story.

Second, the criticism surrounding Harry's chauvinism finally makes sense. In the first two books, his attitude toward women comes across as gallant and even chivalrous, but the chauvinism is front and center in this one as Harry fixates on the breasts and luscious curves of virtually every female character - is this really necessary?

Third, while the basic plot is compelling and the action scenes exciting, the execution is repetitive. How many times must Harry battle the Nightmare before he defeats it? How many times must he get round the machinations of his fairy Godmother? How many times must he be exposed to the lustful effects of vampire venom? How many times must his powers fail him precisely when he needs them the most? Come on already, get some new material.

Finally, Harry constantly blames himself for the choices others make that get them into trouble. While this overdeveloped sense of guilt may have its place in the portrayal of Harry's internal struggle with his own conscience, it starts to grate on the nerves after a while.

On a more positive note, the secondary characters both old and new are very engaging. Michael, a Knight of the Cross, constitutes an intriguing counterpoint to Harry's irreligious personality, and the manner in which Butcher depicts the power of Christian artifacts adds another layer of complexity to the world building. That said, Michael is a little too self-righteous and condescending for my tastes.

There are also some poignant moments between Harry and his reporter girlfriend, Susan Rodriguez, although her misguided Lois Lane routine is getting old and she has never really appealed to me as Harry's love interest.

The most interesting characters, however, are Lea, Harry's rather scary fairy Godmother, who serves as a cautionary tale about what happens when one makes ill advised bargains with the fae, and Thomas, the morally ambiguous vampire who plays a pivotal role in Harry's conflict with the various villains in the story.

All in all, the world building is strong, the story has potential and the unanswered questions are interesting enough to keep on with the series. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Nov 19, 2016 |
The best so far. I realized that I don't care for Murphy, so since she wasn't one of the main characters in "Grave Peril", I liked it a lot. Not that is the main reason of course. ( )
  Aneris | Oct 31, 2016 |

Butcher is back at it. Unfortunately, since it takes me so long to get through an audiobook, I find it a little difficult to remember the premise of where he started from. (There's a character at the end of this novel that I will never, in a thousand years, recall the origins of.)

We are treated to the same schtick, including Marsters intoning "this was the worst day of my life" several times and "I'd never been this bone weary" another half dozen times. I kid, but Butcher is prone to exaggeration, and although he's starting to tie things together better (now that he's on book 3), it's overly descriptive stuff. Perfect for audiobooks, really.

This book has less Murphy and more Susan. Less werewolf and more vampire (plus more ghosts). More Michael and less actual wizardry (weirdly). Less Bob, which is really too damn bad.

I have a lot of catching up to do to get to book 15, but never fear, I'll take it at the same excruciatingly slow pace, simply because I cannot do without Marsters doing the honors and I simply have little time for audiobooks. ( )
  khage | Oct 23, 2016 |
Harry Dresden, Chicago's only professional wizard, is up to his neck in ghosts. All over town poltergeists are causing trouble. And it's not just your average hauntings with spooky sounds and moving objects. The ghosts are agitated, violent and deadly - and there are more around than ever seen before. When Harry discovers a ghost wrapped in a spell surrounding it's ghostly flesh like barbed wire he realizes something, or someone, must purposely be stirring them up. But why? And, more importantly, why do so many of the victims have a connection to Harry?

Grave Peril is the 3rd book of the Dresden Files. For everyone who said this is where the series gets better, you were right. From the get go we're off and running with Harry and his colleague Michael Carpenter. Michael is a great addition. He's a Knight of the Cross, a holy warrior and God's fist. His faith literally grants him the strength he needs to fight evil and keep going in the face of certain destruction. Michael is a great counter point to Harry's shoot-from-the-hip maverick wizardry. The story opens with both heroes facing down a ghost in a hospital nursery calming babies into a stillness beyond sleep. The border between reality and the Nevernever has grown thin, allowing many more ghosts to come through than normal.

Michael is not the only new character. We're introduced to Michael's wife Charity, who hates Harry with a passion for constantly getting her husband in trouble. Other new faces are Thomas, a White Court vampire, and his "partner" Justine. I like the distinction that Butcher makes between the three vampire courts, Red, White and Black. Each has its own way of feeding on humans that are quite different and isn't only about draining all the blood from a body, though there is still some of that too. Another character that I'm guessing will have an impact on future story lines is Harry's Fairy Godmother Lea. Lea is one scary fairy! This is not your Disney-style good fairy but one straight out of Irish mythology of the Sidhe. She has some frightfully scary powers that is thankfully bound by the laws of her people. A few familiar faces are also along for the ride, including several members from S.I. and Harry's girlfriend Susan.

Speaking of the Nevernever we actually get to experience it for the first time! Part of the story involves traveling through the Nevernever. That is both a place I never want to go and can't wait to read more about.

Butcher gives us a more interesting story this time around. It has many twists and turns with several story threads that weave together. The reader is kept guessing the entire way, even making us wonder if the tombstone Bianca has made up for Harry will be prophetic. Will doing the right thing will be the end of the wizard?

Harry is still Harry and, while he retains his sense of sarcastic wit, the story helps him become a more fleshed out character. The ending also left things open for the next book to go in any number of directions to continue the story arc instead of just being the mystery of the week to solve.

I quite enjoyed this book and I'm glad I stuck with the series. ( )
  Narilka | Oct 10, 2016 |
Harry Dresden is back with a new adventure with suspenseful scenes and interesting new characters. Misogyny more prevalent in this one, which is why the lower rating. As always, Marsters' narration is flawless. ( )
  EmScape | Sep 12, 2016 |

Butcher, Jimprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Chong, VincentIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marsters, JamesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

There are reasons I hate to drive fast.
I felt uncomfortable, approaching the church -- not for any weirdo quasi-mystical reason. Just because I'd never been comfortable with churches in general. The Church had killed a lot of wizards in its day, believing them in league with Satan. It felt strange to be just strolling up on business. Hi, God, it's me, Harry. Please don't turn me into a pillar of salt. (chapter 9)
Thaumaturgy is traditional magic, all about drawing symbolic links between items or people then investing energy to get the effect that you want. You can do a lot with thaumaturgy, provided you have enough time to plan things out, and more time to prepare a ritual, the symbolic objects, and the magical circle.
I've yet to meet a slobbering monster polite enough to wait for me to finish. (Harry, chapter 16)

In all his years of supernatural sleuthing, Harry Dresden has never faced anything like this: the spirit world's gone postal. These ghosts are tormented, violent, and deadly. Someone-or something-is purposely stirring them up to wreak unearthly havoc. But why? If Harry doesn't figure it out soon, he could wind up a ghost himself.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451458443, Mass Market Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:34 -0400)

F Kent ; XX-CDF ; 10CD/1AW ; SA ; CD24I.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,633,816 books! | Top bar: Always visible