Grave Peril (The Dresden Files, Book 3) by…

Grave Peril (The Dresden Files, Book 3) (edition 2001)

by Jim Butcher

Member:kissmeimgone
Title:Grave Peril (The Dresden Files, Book 3)
Authors:Jim Butcher
Info:Roc (2001), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 378 pages
Collections:Your library, Favorites
Rating:*****

Grave Peril by Jim Butcher

audiobook (34) Chicago (123) crime (35) detective (115) Dresden (114) Dresden Files (377) ebook (53) fantasy (737) fiction (413) ghosts (85) Harry Dresden (109) horror (47) Jim Butcher (44) magic (233) modern fantasy (30) mystery (244) novel (27) paperback (40) paranormal (107) read (95) science fiction (62) series (108) sff (49) supernatural (85) to-read (61) urban (31) urban fantasy (492) vampires (198) werewolves (32) wizards (292)

English (131)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (134)
Grave Peril by Jim Butcher is the third of the Dresden Files books and the last one I plan to read as an audio. My decision to switch to print has nothing to do with James Marster's performance; I love how he reads the books. Rather, it's more an adjustment in how I'm reading and the fact that I already own the books in paperback and hardback as my husband collected them while he was reading through the series.

Dresden is at a hospital, trying to stop a ghost from taking babies to the Never Never. During what should be a routine, simple even, case, things to horribly wrong. Something is driving the spirits mad.

In trying to understand what's driving the spirit world mad and raising the number of hauntings in Chicago to dangerous levels, Dresden decides to get help from some unlikely sources. He also has to make some trips to the Never Never.

Grave Peril is a series of cliffhangers for Dresden. If things can go bad for him, they do. And whatever happens is worse than even he expects. On the audio, I'm sure I missed some pivotal scenes. If I had been reading in print, I'm sure I would have gone back to re-read scenes. ( )
  pussreboots | Jun 9, 2014 |
So much better than the first two! I'm glad I gave this one a chance. ( )
  LAHoffman | May 18, 2014 |
Not bad.. a bit slow towards the end.. Tho very appropriate book to read on Halloween :P ( )
  Danica.Rice | Apr 29, 2014 |
Still good, but wish it was more about the interaction between the worlds, not so much about vengeance against Harry. ( )
  reluctantacademic | Apr 29, 2014 |
Things are really getting personal for Harry Dresden. I hope we??ll be seeing more of his friend Michael after this book. Also, more Bob, please.

http://www.fantasyliterature.com/fantasy-author/butcherjim/ ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |

Jim Butcherprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Chong, VincentIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marsters, JamesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

There are reasons I hate to drive fast.
I felt uncomfortable, approaching the church -- not for any weirdo quasi-mystical reason. Just because I'd never been comfortable with churches in general. The Church had killed a lot of wizards in its day, believing them in league with Satan. It felt strange to be just strolling up on business. Hi, God, it's me, Harry. Please don't turn me into a pillar of salt. (chapter 9)
Thaumaturgy is traditional magic, all about drawing symbolic links between items or people then investing energy to get the effect that you want. You can do a lot with thaumaturgy, provided you have enough time to plan things out, and more time to prepare a ritual, the symbolic objects, and the magical circle.
I've yet to meet a slobbering monster polite enough to wait for me to finish. (Harry, chapter 16)

In all his years of supernatural sleuthing, Harry Dresden has never faced anything like this: the spirit world's gone postal. These ghosts are tormented, violent, and deadly. Someone-or something-is purposely stirring them up to wreak unearthly havoc. But why? If Harry doesn't figure it out soon, he could wind up a ghost himself.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451458443, Mass Market Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:53:35 -0400)

Called to Cook County hospital to deal with an enraged ghost, Harry Dresden, Chicago's resident wizard, is puzzled and disturbed not by the ghost's wrath but by the fact that someone had cast a torture spell on it, goading it into action. Harry's disturbance increases when he discovers that the same spell has been cast on one of his friends. Harry begins to realize that he and his friends may be targets of a vengeful spirit, and as he desperately tries to discover which of his many enemies has it in for him, his friends are attacked one by one. The spirit, whom Harry refers to as the Nightmare, continues to torment Harry's friends until he manages to cast a spell preventing it from harming anyone else until it kills him, which leads to a showdown that Harry might not survive.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,482,081 books! | Top bar: Always visible