Grave Peril (The Dresden Files, Book 3) by…

Grave Peril (The Dresden Files, Book 3) (edition 2001)

by Jim Butcher

Member:kissmeimgone
Title:Grave Peril (The Dresden Files, Book 3)
Authors:Jim Butcher
Info:Roc (2001), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 378 pages
Collections:Your library, Favorites
Rating:*****

Grave Peril by Jim Butcher

English (179)  German (2)  Catalan (1)  Dutch (1)  All (183)
Much better than the first two! The writing seems to have improved as well. It's 2:21AM. I might update with more coherent thoughts after I've had some sleep. ( )
  mrsrobin | Jun 24, 2017 |
The Dresden Files are a fantastic series following Harry Dresden, renegade (kinda) wizard as he "does the right thing" over and over, often detrimental to his own well being. ( )
  J9Plourde | Jun 13, 2017 |
This is an amazing series of books. When I started listening to book 1 (Storm Front) I was a little unsure about the narrator as he seemed to be reading in an undertone - perfectly audible, but I wondered if it would get tiresome. Nothing of the sort. The books are written in the first person - namely, Harry Dresden, professional wizard - so you are listening to his thoughts and reactions, and how he is trying to make sense of the weird and supernatural happenings around him.

Harry is no superman. He gets beaten up - both physically and spiritually - and performing his wizardry takes so much physical and mental energy that he is sometimes unable to keep on his feet. He is called on by the police for expert assistance, but is mostly distrusted by them, sometimes ending up in handcuffs accused of committing the outrages that he is trying to stop. He is a man of principle and a sucker for people in trouble - in this book, one of Harry's hopeful enemies prepares his epitaph: "He died doing the right thing".

If you enjoy urban fantasy and paranormal worlds, but want a writer that avoids cliches, you will love this series. Just be prepared to sit up late, put off all those jobs you should be doing, and let James Marsters voice pull you into Harry Dresden's extraordinary world.. ( )
  Kindleifier | May 16, 2017 |
Mostly fine in the way that your average not-horribly-written mystery novel is fine. Diverting but not great. I'd go 2.5 stars if I could. ( )
  sinceyouasked | Mar 17, 2017 |
This one was absolutely a wild ride. The tension was up right from the start and so was the action and it never let go. We also got to see a few new characters that I found very interesting and I hope we see more of. The mystery of what was happening and why was thrilling from start to finish and there were definitely more than a few twists that I didn't see coming in the plot. I'm not sure you could call that ending happy, but it was hopeful and absolutely fitting and it definitely sets up the next big problem pretty well. I can't wait to start reading the next book in the series. The only problem I had with it was that this is just the third book in the series and already the second book so far where Harry has been at least partially, if not fully, de-powered for a portion of the book and I'm already starting to get bored with that. ( )
  madam_razz | Jan 19, 2017 |

Butcher, Jimprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Chong, VincentIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marsters, JamesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

There are reasons I hate to drive fast.
I felt uncomfortable, approaching the church -- not for any weirdo quasi-mystical reason. Just because I'd never been comfortable with churches in general. The Church had killed a lot of wizards in its day, believing them in league with Satan. It felt strange to be just strolling up on business. Hi, God, it's me, Harry. Please don't turn me into a pillar of salt. (chapter 9)
Thaumaturgy is traditional magic, all about drawing symbolic links between items or people then investing energy to get the effect that you want. You can do a lot with thaumaturgy, provided you have enough time to plan things out, and more time to prepare a ritual, the symbolic objects, and the magical circle.
I've yet to meet a slobbering monster polite enough to wait for me to finish. (Harry, chapter 16)

In all his years of supernatural sleuthing, Harry Dresden has never faced anything like this: the spirit world's gone postal. These ghosts are tormented, violent, and deadly. Someone-or something-is purposely stirring them up to wreak unearthly havoc. But why? If Harry doesn't figure it out soon, he could wind up a ghost himself.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451458443, Mass Market Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:34 -0400)

F Kent ; XX-CDF ; 10CD/1AW ; SA ; CD24I.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,231,924 books! | Top bar: Always visible