Grave Peril (The Dresden Files, Book 3) by…

Grave Peril (The Dresden Files, Book 3) (edition 2001)

by Jim Butcher

Member:kissmeimgone
Title:Grave Peril (The Dresden Files, Book 3)
Authors:Jim Butcher
Info:Roc (2001), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 378 pages
Collections:Your library, Favorites
Rating:*****

Grave Peril by Jim Butcher

English (171)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (174)
Every once in a while the right combination of things come together perfectly. This audiobook fits that description. I enjoyed this book the first time I read it years ago but listening to James Marsters perform this story really takes it to a whole new level. The series seems to really be taking off at this point and the story was very well done. I completely enjoyed every moment that I spent listening to this book during my re-read.

Harry Dresden's life is anything but boring. This book starts with a bang and really doesn't slow down until the end. I love how many different things can come together to make sense in Harry's world. In this book, there are ghosts, demons, and vampires all mixed together and it flows smoothly. The mystery was pretty complex in this one with a lot of things happening that will be brought up again as the series moves forward. I had a hard time setting this one aside.

I am so in love with the characters. Harry is awesome in his own way. He is funny and able to think on his feet. He makes decisions based not only on what is best for him but what will be best for others. He risks himself to helps other people quite often. Michael played a large role in this book and I really enjoyed his character. It was really fun to go back and see some of my favorite characters early in the series. Karin, Bob, Susan and everyone else really all added important pieces to the story as well.

James Marsters is the perfect voice of Harry Dresden. I absolutely love how this book was narrated. He didn't just read the story - he performed it. I could totally hear every one of Harry's emotions in the performance. I was really impressed that even the perfectly placed breath seem to add to the delivery. He performed all of the different characters flawlessly. I can't wait to listen to more books narrated by James Marsters.

I would highly recommend this series to fans of urban fiction. This is a series that you will want to read in order since there are some story arc that carry over from previous books. I am looking forward to listening to book four in the series very soon. ( )
  Carolesrandomlife | Aug 29, 2016 |
More world building, it's nice to see the continuity starting to pay off.

Not my favourite of the novels, but definitely readable.

Harry's tendency to blindly trust completely the wrong people and alienate the right people by being suspicious of them really screws him over this time out, and worse, ruins things for Susan too. That'll teach him to be a chauvinist piggy.

I finally "got" what everyone complains about Harry's duster obsession, I guess I didn't notice it first read through, but he really does mention it every other minute, which is kind of hilarious when you're looking out for it.

The plot is kind of silly though, there's too many enemies in play and it's a little confusing, and it definitely misses Murphy giving Harry grief.

It was nice meeting new characters that I know will go on to be old friends, this is actually the first time I've read the books through in order, and I'm actually enjoying it. ( )
  krazykiwi | Aug 22, 2016 |
The best so far. I realized that I don't care for Murphy, so since she wasn't one of the main characters in "Grave Peril", I liked it a lot. Not that is the main reason of course. ( )
  Aneris | Aug 12, 2016 |
I liked the twist at the end. There were lots of twist and turns about the rules of this supernatural world. I feel like I'm still figuring them out. Harry remains an appealing character - he has this stoicism about him that makes him likable even when he's doing "not likable" things. ( )
  tjsjohanna | Aug 12, 2016 |
Why I won't be reading any more Dresden:
The vampire's brother, Kyle, as blonde and pretty as she had been a moment before, landed in the space I had occupied. He too dropped to his knees with a drooling hiss, fangs showing, eyes bulging. He wore a white cat suit, clinging tight to his curves, along with white boots and gloves, and a short white cape with a deep hood. His clothing was smudged, imperfect, spotted with flecks of scarlet, and his blonde hair in disarray. Blood stained his mouth, like smeared lipstick, or a child with a big cup of juice. A blood mustache. Hells bells.

I kept my blasting rod trained on Kyle, my left hand thrust out before me. "So you two are putting the snatch on Lydia, eh? Why?"

"Let me kill him," moaned the male, his eyes all black, empty and hungry. "Kelly. I'm hungry."

So sue me, I weird out when someone starts talking about eating me. I swung the blasting rod right at Kyle's face and started sending power into it, setting the tip to glowing. "Yeah, Kelly," I said. "Let him try."

Kelly rippled, beneath her skin, and it was enough to make my stomach turn. Something like that just ain't right, even when you know what's underneath. "This affair is none of yours, wizard."

"The girl is under my protection," I said. "You two clear out, now, and I won't have to get rough with you."

"That will not happen," Kelly said, her voice deadly quiet.

"Kelly," the male moaned again. More drool slithered out of his mouth, dripping to the floor. He started shaking, quivering, as if he were about to fly apart. Or at me. [...]

He flung himself atop me, straddling my hips with his thighs, moaning in excitement. I thrust the blasting rod toward him, but he batted it aside, laughing in a wild, hysterical tone, throwing his smouldering cloak off with the other hand. He plunged toward my throat, but I lifted my hands to catch at his mane of hair. I knew it was a futile gesture - he was just too damned strong. I wouldn't be able to hold him off of me for long, a few seconds at most. My heart pounded in my burning chest, and I struggled, gasping in air.

And then droplets of his spittle fell onto my throat, my cheek, into my mouth. And none of it mattered anymore.

It was a glorious sensation, that spread over me - warmth, security, peace. Ecstasy began at my skin and spread through me, easing all the horrid tension from my muscles. My fingers slackened in Kyle's lovely hair, and he purred, his hips writhing against mine. He lowered his mouth toward me, and I felt his breath on my skin, his chest press against me through the thin material of his bodysuit.

Something, some nagging thought, bothered me for a moment. Perhaps it was something about the perfect, lightless depths of his eyes, or the way his fangs rubbed against my throat - no matter how good it felt. But then I felt his lips on my skin, felt him draw in his breath in shivering anticipation, and it stopped mattering. I just wanted more.

Haha, I wish! I just reassigned roles here for funsies, of course it's Kelly who's doing all the writhing and uncontrolled drooling, silly little me. I might have been able to finish the book if it had been my version, but yeah - I'm done with this shit.

Oh, and by the way: I even gave the book more chances and 50 pages later learned this about his godmother, who "purrs" the first thing she says in that scene:
Her golden cat-eyes studied me with their old, familiar warmth, her hair spilling around her in a mane that seemed unaffected by the rain. She didn't seem to mind it soaking her dress, though. It clung to the curves of her body, showed the perfection of her breasts, their tips clearly showing through the silken fabric as she knelt beside me.
And this about Bianca another 50 pages later, who - surprisingly! - "purrs" the first thing she says in that scene:

Bianca wasn't tall, but she was statuesque in a way you only find in erotic magazines and embarrassing dreams. Pale of skin, dark of hair and eye, full of sensuous curves, from her mouth to her hips, everything possessed of luscious ripeness coupled with slender strength that would have caught the eye of any man. She wore a gown of flickering flame. I don't mean that she wore a red dress - she wore flame, gathered about her in the shape of an evening gown, blue at its base fading through the colors of a candle to red as it cupped her full, gorgeous breasts.

Most surprising is the fact that I finally gave up on the book only after Harry lets himself get poisoned by drinking wine served to him at his sworn enemy's party, dressep up in a ridiculous costume designed to enrage his deadly enemies even more. That's not gumption, it just makes Harry look like a mouthbreathing idiot who thinks he's funny, and I'm sick of this series. ( )
  tigerbuns | Aug 3, 2016 |

Butcher, Jimprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Chong, VincentIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marsters, JamesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

There are reasons I hate to drive fast.
I felt uncomfortable, approaching the church -- not for any weirdo quasi-mystical reason. Just because I'd never been comfortable with churches in general. The Church had killed a lot of wizards in its day, believing them in league with Satan. It felt strange to be just strolling up on business. Hi, God, it's me, Harry. Please don't turn me into a pillar of salt. (chapter 9)
Thaumaturgy is traditional magic, all about drawing symbolic links between items or people then investing energy to get the effect that you want. You can do a lot with thaumaturgy, provided you have enough time to plan things out, and more time to prepare a ritual, the symbolic objects, and the magical circle.
I've yet to meet a slobbering monster polite enough to wait for me to finish. (Harry, chapter 16)

In all his years of supernatural sleuthing, Harry Dresden has never faced anything like this: the spirit world's gone postal. These ghosts are tormented, violent, and deadly. Someone-or something-is purposely stirring them up to wreak unearthly havoc. But why? If Harry doesn't figure it out soon, he could wind up a ghost himself.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451458443, Mass Market Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:34 -0400)

F Kent ; XX-CDF ; 10CD/1AW ; SA ; CD24I.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,469,187 books! | Top bar: Always visible