Grave Peril (The Dresden Files, Book 3) by…

Grave Peril (The Dresden Files, Book 3) (edition 2001)

by Jim Butcher

Member:kissmeimgone
Title:Grave Peril (The Dresden Files, Book 3)
Authors:Jim Butcher
Info:Roc (2001), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 378 pages
Collections:Your library, Favorites
Rating:*****

Grave Peril by Jim Butcher

English (147)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (150)
Six-word review: Lively blend of humor and macabre.

Extended review:

It's not literature. It's entertainment. It won't appeal to the snob in you. Plenty of grue, plenty of lurid description of horrific beings and their obscene crimes. And a generous helping of humor mixed in:

Distantly, but quickly growing nearer, I could hear haunting, musical baying, ghostly in the midnight air. "Holy shit," I breathed. "Hellhounds."

"Harry," Michael said sternly. "You know I hate it when you swear."

"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds."
(page 35)

Pretty juvenile, yup. But it made me laugh. And laughter is a great blessing to me right now. So is absorbing distraction.

Unfortunately some of the distractions are in the writing itself. Word repetition is one thing that never fails to bug me. When I see, for example, "scarlet" used twice in one sentence and then again in the next (page 326), I'm sure that the author isn't paying attention, and neither is the editor.

I also happen to have a raw spot where I've been abraded by a lot--an awful lot--of dialogue tags that labor to replace the simple, practical "said." Okay, varying the language and avoiding an excess of adverbs is good; but how many times do characters have to breathe, snarl, and pant their speeches in a short period of time?

By my count (thanks, Amazon), someone snarled lines of dialogue 18 times.

Someone who isn't a cat purred utterances 21 times, some of them on consecutive pages.

Characters hiss, moan, scream, wheeze, and even guess their words in a sort of endless, insatiable Thesaurus exercise that leaves me hungry for some ordinary saying.

However, these are relatively minor irritants that won't stop me from coming back for more.

I like Butcher's quasi-scientific explanations for magical phenomena, and I think that he mostly gets the human interactions right. He does do a creditable job of rendering the subjective states of inhuman creatures. Most important to me as a diversion-seeker right now, he tells a story well enough to hold my attention. ( )
  Meredy | Jun 25, 2015 |
As good as the first two Dresden Files books were, this is better. The only wizazrd in the Chicago Yellow Pages, Harry must discover why all the ghosts in city are going crazy. That's just the tip of the iceberg, naturally. As usual in only the opening chapters, Harry finds himself up to his amulet in trouble....then it all just gets much worse. He finally resolves the problem, of course, but not before a huge, satisfying confrontation.. Quite a ride. Highly recommended. ( )
  NickHowes | Jun 21, 2015 |
In Grave Peril I feel Jim Butcher has hit his stride. There are enough connections to the previous novels that a reader who started at the beginning feels rewarded, but not so many that new readers will feel lost. The action only slowed so the reader could catch a breath. I fell in love with Michael and hope he continues as a character.

There are plenty of hooks for sequels; I will be interested to see where they go. ( )
  Jean_Sexton | May 25, 2015 |
best one so far! ( )
  twertz | Apr 23, 2015 |
Now that's what I'am talking about! No more boring monsters - instead, we get multiple kick-ass bad guys! I loved Grave Peril - it was exciting, fast-paced and mysterious, plus there were called-for twists in the plot. And Murphy wasn't as annoying, probably because there wasn't a lot of her character in this book, with introducing Michael and getting to know Susan a little better. And did I mention the awesome bad guys? The Nightmare, Lea, a super weird vampire woman, already banished demon!!! And they aren't stupid like a bunch of wolves and what's-his-name sorcerer guy. These are legitimate bad guys, with brains full of vengeance plans! I just love how all of them played with Dresden's head. And Lea & Harry have pretty awesome chemistry, can't wait to see more of his Godmother. ( )
  v_allery | Apr 19, 2015 |

Jim Butcherprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Chong, VincentIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marsters, JamesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

There are reasons I hate to drive fast.
I felt uncomfortable, approaching the church -- not for any weirdo quasi-mystical reason. Just because I'd never been comfortable with churches in general. The Church had killed a lot of wizards in its day, believing them in league with Satan. It felt strange to be just strolling up on business. Hi, God, it's me, Harry. Please don't turn me into a pillar of salt. (chapter 9)
Thaumaturgy is traditional magic, all about drawing symbolic links between items or people then investing energy to get the effect that you want. You can do a lot with thaumaturgy, provided you have enough time to plan things out, and more time to prepare a ritual, the symbolic objects, and the magical circle.
I've yet to meet a slobbering monster polite enough to wait for me to finish. (Harry, chapter 16)

In all his years of supernatural sleuthing, Harry Dresden has never faced anything like this: the spirit world's gone postal. These ghosts are tormented, violent, and deadly. Someone-or something-is purposely stirring them up to wreak unearthly havoc. But why? If Harry doesn't figure it out soon, he could wind up a ghost himself.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451458443, Mass Market Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:53:35 -0400)

F Kent ; XX-CDF ; 10CD/1AW ; SA ; CD24I.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,851,103 books! | Top bar: Always visible