Grave Peril (The Dresden Files, Book 3) by…

Grave Peril (The Dresden Files, Book 3) (edition 2001)

by Jim Butcher

Title:Grave Peril (The Dresden Files, Book 3)
Authors:Jim Butcher
Info:Roc (2001), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 378 pages
Collections:2013, Literary Lit (books in book)
Tags:Chicago, wizard, vampires, mystery, AD, 13 in 13

Grave Peril by Jim Butcher

English (173)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (176)
Harry Dresden, Chicago's only professional wizard, is up to his neck in ghosts. All over town poltergeists are causing trouble. And it's not just your average hauntings with spooky sounds and moving objects. The ghosts are agitated, violent and deadly - and there are more around than ever seen before. When Harry discovers a ghost wrapped in a spell surrounding it's ghostly flesh like barbed wire he realizes something, or someone, must purposely be stirring them up. But why? And, more importantly, why do so many of the victims have a connection to Harry?

Grave Peril is the 3rd book of the Dresden Files. For everyone who said this is where the series gets better, you were right. From the get go we're off and running with Harry and his colleague Michael Carpenter. Michael is a great addition. He's a Knight of the Cross, a holy warrior and God's fist. His faith literally grants him the strength he needs to fight evil and keep going in the face of certain destruction. Michael is a great counter point to Harry's shoot-from-the-hip maverick wizardry. The story opens with both heroes facing down a ghost in a hospital nursery calming babies into a stillness beyond sleep. The border between reality and the Nevernever has grown thin, allowing many more ghosts to come through than normal.

Michael is not the only new character. We're introduced to Michael's wife Charity, who hates Harry with a passion for constantly getting her husband in trouble. Other new faces are Thomas, a White Court vampire, and his "partner" Justine. I like the distinction that Butcher makes between the three vampire courts, Red, White and Black. Each has its own way of feeding on humans that are quite different and isn't only about draining all the blood from a body, though there is still some of that too. Another character that I'm guessing will have an impact on future story lines is Harry's Fairy Godmother Lea. Lea is one scary fairy! This is not your Disney-style good fairy but one straight out of Irish mythology of the Sidhe. She has some frightfully scary powers that is thankfully bound by the laws of her people. A few familiar faces are also along for the ride, including several members from S.I. and Harry's girlfriend Susan.

Speaking of the Nevernever we actually get to experience it for the first time! Part of the story involves traveling through the Nevernever. That is both a place I never want to go and can't wait to read more about.

Butcher gives us a more interesting story this time around. It has many twists and turns with several story threads that weave together. The reader is kept guessing the entire way, even making us wonder if the tombstone Bianca has made up for Harry will be prophetic. Will doing the right thing will be the end of the wizard?

Harry is still Harry and, while he retains his sense of sarcastic wit, the story helps him become a more fleshed out character. The ending also left things open for the next book to go in any number of directions to continue the story arc instead of just being the mystery of the week to solve.

I quite enjoyed this book and I'm glad I stuck with the series. ( )
  Narilka | Oct 10, 2016 |
Harry Dresden is back with a new adventure with suspenseful scenes and interesting new characters. Misogyny more prevalent in this one, which is why the lower rating. As always, Marsters' narration is flawless. ( )
  EmScape | Sep 12, 2016 |
Every once in a while the right combination of things come together perfectly. This audiobook fits that description. I enjoyed this book the first time I read it years ago but listening to James Marsters perform this story really takes it to a whole new level. The series seems to really be taking off at this point and the story was very well done. I completely enjoyed every moment that I spent listening to this book during my re-read.

Harry Dresden's life is anything but boring. This book starts with a bang and really doesn't slow down until the end. I love how many different things can come together to make sense in Harry's world. In this book, there are ghosts, demons, and vampires all mixed together and it flows smoothly. The mystery was pretty complex in this one with a lot of things happening that will be brought up again as the series moves forward. I had a hard time setting this one aside.

I am so in love with the characters. Harry is awesome in his own way. He is funny and able to think on his feet. He makes decisions based not only on what is best for him but what will be best for others. He risks himself to helps other people quite often. Michael played a large role in this book and I really enjoyed his character. It was really fun to go back and see some of my favorite characters early in the series. Karin, Bob, Susan and everyone else really all added important pieces to the story as well.

James Marsters is the perfect voice of Harry Dresden. I absolutely love how this book was narrated. He didn't just read the story - he performed it. I could totally hear every one of Harry's emotions in the performance. I was really impressed that even the perfectly placed breath seem to add to the delivery. He performed all of the different characters flawlessly. I can't wait to listen to more books narrated by James Marsters.

I would highly recommend this series to fans of urban fiction. This is a series that you will want to read in order since there are some story arc that carry over from previous books. I am looking forward to listening to book four in the series very soon. ( )
  Carolesrandomlife | Aug 29, 2016 |
More world building, it's nice to see the continuity starting to pay off.

Not my favourite of the novels, but definitely readable.

Harry's tendency to blindly trust completely the wrong people and alienate the right people by being suspicious of them really screws him over this time out, and worse, ruins things for Susan too. That'll teach him to be a chauvinist piggy.

I finally "got" what everyone complains about Harry's duster obsession, I guess I didn't notice it first read through, but he really does mention it every other minute, which is kind of hilarious when you're looking out for it.

The plot is kind of silly though, there's too many enemies in play and it's a little confusing, and it definitely misses Murphy giving Harry grief.

It was nice meeting new characters that I know will go on to be old friends, this is actually the first time I've read the books through in order, and I'm actually enjoying it. ( )
  krazykiwi | Aug 22, 2016 |
The best so far. I realized that I don't care for Murphy, so since she wasn't one of the main characters in "Grave Peril", I liked it a lot. Not that is the main reason of course. ( )
  Aneris | Aug 12, 2016 |

Butcher, Jimprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Chong, VincentIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marsters, JamesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

There are reasons I hate to drive fast.
I felt uncomfortable, approaching the church -- not for any weirdo quasi-mystical reason. Just because I'd never been comfortable with churches in general. The Church had killed a lot of wizards in its day, believing them in league with Satan. It felt strange to be just strolling up on business. Hi, God, it's me, Harry. Please don't turn me into a pillar of salt. (chapter 9)
Thaumaturgy is traditional magic, all about drawing symbolic links between items or people then investing energy to get the effect that you want. You can do a lot with thaumaturgy, provided you have enough time to plan things out, and more time to prepare a ritual, the symbolic objects, and the magical circle.
I've yet to meet a slobbering monster polite enough to wait for me to finish. (Harry, chapter 16)

In all his years of supernatural sleuthing, Harry Dresden has never faced anything like this: the spirit world's gone postal. These ghosts are tormented, violent, and deadly. Someone-or something-is purposely stirring them up to wreak unearthly havoc. But why? If Harry doesn't figure it out soon, he could wind up a ghost himself.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451458443, Mass Market Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:34 -0400)

F Kent ; XX-CDF ; 10CD/1AW ; SA ; CD24I.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,697,786 books! | Top bar: Always visible