Grave Peril (The Dresden Files, Book 3) by…

Grave Peril (The Dresden Files, Book 3) (edition 2001)

by Jim Butcher

Member:mamzel
Title:Grave Peril (The Dresden Files, Book 3)
Authors:Jim Butcher
Info:Roc (2001), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 378 pages
Collections:2013, Literary Lit (books in book)
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Chicago, wizard, vampires, mystery, AD, 13 in 13

Grave Peril by Jim Butcher

English (159)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (162)
I really liked this book, and the introduction of Michael. This series seems to be getting better as we continue. I hope that trend continues as we move forward. I also was quite amused by Thomas and hope to see him again. ( )
  saohicwitch | Apr 21, 2016 |
The Dresden Files series is starting to feel very formulaic to me. However, I am assured by others that a grand narrative arc is starting present throughout the series that is well worth it. Even in the absence of the narrative i enjoy the characters and stories as a bit of brain-candy. ( )
  kale.dyer | Apr 15, 2016 |
This just keeps getting better and better! I love how characters keep becoming more familiar and important, while he adds new ones as well. Can't wait to start reading the next one, and I'm hoping for some new creatures and some more backstory.
  bartt95 | Apr 10, 2016 |
Note: Even though this is Book 3 in the series, it works fine as a stand alone.

Harry Dresden, Chicago-dwelling PI and wizard, is about to go head to head with a very powerful foe. But first he has to subdue the ghost in the baby ward of Cook County General hospital. Luckily, he has brought along his pious friend, Michael Carpenter. Something has been stirring up the ghosts in Chicago and the two have been quite busy of late putting these angry shades back to bed.

This is the book where the series starts to get serious. Significant things happen in this book that ripple throughout the rest of the series. There’s a fairy godmother, the Red Court vampires, these irritated ghosts, not to mention things getting a bit more serious between Harry and Arcane news reporter Susan Rodriguez. Then there’s Michael with his solid faith and Lt. Karrin Murphy of the Chicago PD. Meaningful things happen to all these characters and not all of them are good things.

Honestly, I wasn’t sure I would like Michael because I wasn’t sure how preachy (or not) he would be. It turns out that Michael isn’t preachy so much as he is sure that his path is one of virtue. His mild reminders to Harry of the so called right path are given from a place of love, respect, and friendship. Quite frankly, it’s part of his personality and he wouldn’t be Michael if he didn’t periodically remind his good friends of the Christian way. With that said, he’s a badass in a fight. Harry is lucky to have him around.

I found Harry’s fairy godmother, the Leanansidhe, to be a very intriguing character. There is definitely history between these two. I have never seen Harry so scared of any one person! Bianca of the Red Court vampires makes another appearance and she’s still holding a grudge over what happened in Book 1 (Storm Front). If these two ladies aren’t enough, there’s another bad guy or two waiting in the shadows, secretly causing Harry grief.

The mystery behind what is stirring up the ghosts was pretty chilling. It had ties to more than one bad guy so this made it harder for Harry to nail down and solve. Unfortunately, some of Harry’s friends get hit by the bad guys and there are lasting ramifications from this. I really felt for those affected, and for Harry who feels he should have been able to protect them, but I also applaud the author for having such consequences – it makes the story that much more interesting and intense.

Susan is ever on the hunt for a good story. While Harry is her boyfriend, she’s not above hanging out with him to get a great interview or a few awesome pics of something supernatural. She keeps pushing the envelope, thinking she is safe from these supernatural critters, and it blows back on her. She’s not an idiot but she can be one when it comes to running down a story. She’s too blithe about what can hurt her and that doesn’t work out for her. While I wasn’t particularly glad that happened, it was almost inevitable and I am glad the author kept the cause and effect logic going for her storyline.

We also have our first appearance of Thomas Raith and his lover Justine, which introduces the White Court of vampires, which are essentially succubi. Thomas is glamorous and likes to play the fool. His manner towards Harry is almost playful and it’s definitely hard to tell what side, if any, Thomas is on.

All around, this is another great addition to the series. I really liked that the take-me-seriously bad guy level was raised. It made the whole story much more intense and, hence, more enjoyable.

The Narration: James Marsters continues on as the voice of Harry Dresden, and still does a spiffy job of it. His playboy voice for Thomas Raith is also great. Marsters also got to show off his spooky voices with this one – from the lullaby-singing ghost in the opening scenes to Mavra (a seriously creepy vampire) to the thing that is behind the riled up ghosts – all were done very well. ( )
  DabOfDarkness | Apr 10, 2016 |
This is my favorite of the series thus far! Harry is in a real fix this time as the threshold between the realms is being manipulated by some unknown demon or evil force. All kinds of baddies are coming through, one of which is so powerful that Harry begins to question his ability to take it on. Meanwhile his relationship with Susan is better than ever, adding a nice dose of sweetness between all the chaos and action.

Right away we are introduced to Michael, a/k/a "The First of God" and Harry's battle partner. The two of them were a great ghost/demon/vampire fighting team and I really enjoyed the easy banter between them. The witty humor was top notch and made devouring this book all the more enjoyable. We also learn a little more about Harry's past and meet Lea...his fairy godmother. Right away we learn things aren't all warm and fuzzy between them.

The series can really take flight at this point and I'm excited about reading the next book. These books are so hard to put down and once again I devoured this one in almost one setting. It's going on my All Time Favorites shelf!

Second Read: Finished 9/2/15 ( )
  Becky_McKenna | Mar 10, 2016 |

Butcher, Jimprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Chong, VincentIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marsters, JamesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

There are reasons I hate to drive fast.
I felt uncomfortable, approaching the church -- not for any weirdo quasi-mystical reason. Just because I'd never been comfortable with churches in general. The Church had killed a lot of wizards in its day, believing them in league with Satan. It felt strange to be just strolling up on business. Hi, God, it's me, Harry. Please don't turn me into a pillar of salt. (chapter 9)
Thaumaturgy is traditional magic, all about drawing symbolic links between items or people then investing energy to get the effect that you want. You can do a lot with thaumaturgy, provided you have enough time to plan things out, and more time to prepare a ritual, the symbolic objects, and the magical circle.
I've yet to meet a slobbering monster polite enough to wait for me to finish. (Harry, chapter 16)

In all his years of supernatural sleuthing, Harry Dresden has never faced anything like this: the spirit world's gone postal. These ghosts are tormented, violent, and deadly. Someone-or something-is purposely stirring them up to wreak unearthly havoc. But why? If Harry doesn't figure it out soon, he could wind up a ghost himself.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451458443, Mass Market Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:34 -0400)

F Kent ; XX-CDF ; 10CD/1AW ; SA ; CD24I.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,252,703 books! | Top bar: Always visible