Grave Peril (The Dresden Files, Book 3) by…

Grave Peril (The Dresden Files, Book 3) (edition 2001)

by Jim Butcher

5,286None832 (4.02)189
Member:mamzel
Title:Grave Peril (The Dresden Files, Book 3)
Authors:Jim Butcher
Info:Roc (2001), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 378 pages
Collections:2013, Literary Lit (books in book)
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Chicago, wizard, vampires, mystery, AD, 13 in 13

Grave Peril by Jim Butcher

audiobook (34) Chicago (119) crime (34) detective (112) Dresden (114) Dresden Files (372) ebook (48) fantasy (721) fiction (402) ghosts (83) Harry Dresden (107) horror (46) Jim Butcher (44) magic (231) modern fantasy (30) mystery (243) novel (27) paperback (39) paranormal (103) read (96) science fiction (63) series (104) sff (51) supernatural (82) to-read (56) urban (31) urban fantasy (482) vampires (196) werewolves (31) wizards (288)

English (130)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (132)
Things are really getting personal for Harry Dresden. I hope we??ll be seeing more of his friend Michael after this book. Also, more Bob, please.

http://www.fantasyliterature.com/fantasy-author/butcherjim/ ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |
This series is fantastic! ( )
  anitahavel | Apr 1, 2014 |
*Book source ~ Purchased from Audible

Harry teams up with Michael Carpenter, a Knight of the Cross, when the ghost world starts going haywire. Something is stirring up the spirit world and Harry is determined to figure it out and put it to rights, if at all possible. Because nothing is worse than spirits gone wild.

Guest reviewers:
A ~ my 16-year-old daughter
T ~ my 14-year-old son
K ~ my 13-year-old son

We meet some new characters in this book, ones the kids hope will continue on in the series. Everyone loves Michael and his sword Amoracchius. Actually, I think they just like any swords, but Amoracchius does have special abilities since it has a nail from the crucifix in its handle and not just any Tom, Dick or Harry can wield Amoracchius. Thomas, a vampire of the White Court, is also turning out to be a cautious favorite. The kids do not like Harry’s faerie Godmother, Leanansidhe, who is a Sidhe of the Winter Court. T said she is a ‘B’ meaning bitch which I can say and he is not allowed until he’s older. Father Forthill is another favorite. A thought the Nightmare was a very interesting character and the barbwire spell was pretty cool if nasty. T & K thought the Nightmare was a badass baddie.

The plot was twisty enough to keep them interested in the proceedings and the description of the Nevernever wasn’t quite what they expected. A said she thought it would be more like the Nether (from the game Minecraft), but overall it was pretty cool.

Favorite part: When Harry goes to the Bianca’s Vampire Masquerade Ball dressed as a vampire including fake fangs. 2nd favorite: When Harry encounters the Nightmare in his dreams.

Favorite quote:
“Holy shit," I breathed. "Hellhounds."
"Harry," Michael said sternly. "You know I hate it when you swear."
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

Bring on Summer Knight! ( )
  AVoraciousReader | Mar 5, 2014 |
This book wasn't as enjoyable as the others I've read. Mostly due to the main character using the same phrase over and over - it got tedious. Hopefully, as the series continues, the author will rectify this situation. ( )
  debbie.menzel | Feb 6, 2014 |
Σημαντική βελτίωση σε σχέση με τα προηγούμενα. Ο κ​όσμος και η πολιτική αποκτούν ενδιαφέρον, τα προβλ​ήματα του πρωταγωνιστή γίνονται πιο δημιουργικά κα​

Antonis.Papadakis | Jan 30, 2014 |

Jim Butcherprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Chong, VincentIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marsters, JamesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

There are reasons I hate to drive fast.
I felt uncomfortable, approaching the church -- not for any weirdo quasi-mystical reason. Just because I'd never been comfortable with churches in general. The Church had killed a lot of wizards in its day, believing them in league with Satan. It felt strange to be just strolling up on business. Hi, God, it's me, Harry. Please don't turn me into a pillar of salt. (chapter 9)
Thaumaturgy is traditional magic, all about drawing symbolic links between items or people then investing energy to get the effect that you want. You can do a lot with thaumaturgy, provided you have enough time to plan things out, and more time to prepare a ritual, the symbolic objects, and the magical circle.
I've yet to meet a slobbering monster polite enough to wait for me to finish. (Harry, chapter 16)

In all his years of supernatural sleuthing, Harry Dresden has never faced anything like this: the spirit world's gone postal. These ghosts are tormented, violent, and deadly. Someone-or something-is purposely stirring them up to wreak unearthly havoc. But why? If Harry doesn't figure it out soon, he could wind up a ghost himself.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451458443, Mass Market Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:53:35 -0400)

Called to Cook County hospital to deal with an enraged ghost, Harry Dresden, Chicago's resident wizard, is puzzled and disturbed not by the ghost's wrath but by the fact that someone had cast a torture spell on it, goading it into action. Harry's disturbance increases when he discovers that the same spell has been cast on one of his friends. Harry begins to realize that he and his friends may be targets of a vengeful spirit, and as he desperately tries to discover which of his many enemies has it in for him, his friends are attacked one by one. The spirit, whom Harry refers to as the Nightmare, continues to torment Harry's friends until he manages to cast a spell preventing it from harming anyone else until it kills him, which leads to a showdown that Harry might not survive.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,430,373 books! | Top bar: Always visible