Grave Peril (The Dresden Files, Book 3) by…

Grave Peril (The Dresden Files, Book 3) (edition 2001)

by Jim Butcher

6,238181650 (4)244
Member:mamzel
Title:Grave Peril (The Dresden Files, Book 3)
Authors:Jim Butcher
Info:Roc (2001), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 378 pages
Collections:2013, Literary Lit (books in book)
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Chicago, wizard, vampires, mystery, AD, 13 in 13

Grave Peril by Jim Butcher

English (177)  German (2)  Catalan (1)  Dutch (1)  All (181)
Grave Peril (The Dresden Files #3) by Jim Butcher Three Stars and I don't think I'm continuing with this series.

I like Harry but everything else about this book had me rolling my eyes too often. Up until the moment when Thomas appeared (I liked him a lot, too), I was quite bored and even after that, the same formula was repeating itself: Harry was weakened, he had everything against him, being armed with less than half his powers, surrounded by stupid women (I wanted to slap Susan at some point and that's never a good feeling to have in a book) and somehow pulling through. I also disliked how he constantly finds a way to blame himself for every stupid decision other people made (ahem, SUSAN!).

When I wasn't bored, I was exasperated. Maybe I'll come back to these books later, but right now I need a break :( ( )
  Danyspike | Jan 14, 2017 |
The best so far. I realized that I don't care for Murphy, so since she wasn't one of the main characters in "Grave Peril", I liked it a lot. Not that is the main reason of course. ( )
  Aneris | Dec 29, 2016 |

a vengeful rogue wizard kills himself to turn himself into a ghost. He has help from the Vampire Court and they all go after Harry. Harry saves the night but starts a war between the White Council and the Vampire Court. A main side character was some kind of Christian Knight Templar, and it really grated how he was used. He was powerful because he believed, not because of WHO he believed in. ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
Grave Peril
3 Stars

Many have stated that Grave Peril is the turning point in the series for the better. After considering the plot and the characters, I must confess that I found Fool Moon to be far more entertaining.

Don't get me wrong. Harry and his quirks are very endearing but a number of issues irritated me in this installment. First, Murphy barely makes an appearance and the absence of a strong willed, take no prisoners, female character detracts from the overall effect of the story.

Second, the criticism surrounding Harry's chauvinism finally makes sense. In the first two books, his attitude toward women comes across as gallant and even chivalrous, but the chauvinism is front and center in this one as Harry fixates on the breasts and luscious curves of virtually every female character - is this really necessary?

Third, while the basic plot is compelling and the action scenes exciting, the execution is repetitive. How many times must Harry battle the Nightmare before he defeats it? How many times must he get round the machinations of his fairy Godmother? How many times must he be exposed to the lustful effects of vampire venom? How many times must his powers fail him precisely when he needs them the most? Come on already, get some new material.

Finally, Harry constantly blames himself for the choices others make that get them into trouble. While this overdeveloped sense of guilt may have its place in the portrayal of Harry's internal struggle with his own conscience, it starts to grate on the nerves after a while.

On a more positive note, the secondary characters both old and new are very engaging. Michael, a Knight of the Cross, constitutes an intriguing counterpoint to Harry's irreligious personality, and the manner in which Butcher depicts the power of Christian artifacts adds another layer of complexity to the world building. That said, Michael is a little too self-righteous and condescending for my tastes.

There are also some poignant moments between Harry and his reporter girlfriend, Susan Rodriguez, although her misguided Lois Lane routine is getting old and she has never really appealed to me as Harry's love interest.

The most interesting characters, however, are Lea, Harry's rather scary fairy Godmother, who serves as a cautionary tale about what happens when one makes ill advised bargains with the fae, and Thomas, the morally ambiguous vampire who plays a pivotal role in Harry's conflict with the various villains in the story.

All in all, the world building is strong, the story has potential and the unanswered questions are interesting enough to keep on with the series. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Nov 19, 2016 |
  Aneris | Oct 31, 2016 |

Butcher, Jimprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Chong, VincentIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marsters, JamesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

There are reasons I hate to drive fast.
I felt uncomfortable, approaching the church -- not for any weirdo quasi-mystical reason. Just because I'd never been comfortable with churches in general. The Church had killed a lot of wizards in its day, believing them in league with Satan. It felt strange to be just strolling up on business. Hi, God, it's me, Harry. Please don't turn me into a pillar of salt. (chapter 9)
Thaumaturgy is traditional magic, all about drawing symbolic links between items or people then investing energy to get the effect that you want. You can do a lot with thaumaturgy, provided you have enough time to plan things out, and more time to prepare a ritual, the symbolic objects, and the magical circle.
I've yet to meet a slobbering monster polite enough to wait for me to finish. (Harry, chapter 16)

In all his years of supernatural sleuthing, Harry Dresden has never faced anything like this: the spirit world's gone postal. These ghosts are tormented, violent, and deadly. Someone-or something-is purposely stirring them up to wreak unearthly havoc. But why? If Harry doesn't figure it out soon, he could wind up a ghost himself.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451458443, Mass Market Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:34 -0400)

F Kent ; XX-CDF ; 10CD/1AW ; SA ; CD24I.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 111,619,778 books! | Top bar: Always visible