Grave Peril (The Dresden Files, Book 3) by…

Grave Peril (The Dresden Files, Book 3) (edition 2001)

by Jim Butcher

Member:mamzel
Title:Grave Peril (The Dresden Files, Book 3)
Authors:Jim Butcher
Info:Roc (2001), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 378 pages
Collections:2013, Literary Lit (books in book)
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Chicago, wizard, vampires, mystery, AD, 13 in 13

Grave Peril by Jim Butcher

English (161)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (164)
Grave Peril
3 Stars

Many have stated that Grave Peril is the turning point in the series for the better. After considering the plot and the characters, I must confess that I found Fool Moon to be far more entertaining.

Don't get me wrong. Harry and his quirks are very endearing but a number of issues irritated me in this installment. First, Murphy barely makes an appearance and the absence of a strong willed, take no prisoners, female character detracts from the overall effect of the story.

Second, the criticism surrounding Harry's chauvinism finally makes sense. In the first two books, his attitude toward women comes across as gallant and even chivalrous, but the chauvinism is front and center in this one as Harry fixates on the breasts and luscious curves of virtually every female character - is this really necessary?

Third, while the basic plot is compelling and the action scenes exciting, the execution is repetitive. How many times must Harry battle the Nightmare before he defeats it? How many times must he get round the machinations of his fairy Godmother? How many times must he be exposed to the lustful effects of vampire venom? How many times must his powers fail him precisely when he needs them the most? Come on already, get some new material.

Finally, Harry constantly blames himself for the choices others make that get them into trouble. While this overdeveloped sense of guilt may have its place in the portrayal of Harry's internal struggle with his own conscience, it starts to grate on the nerves after a while.

On a more positive note, the secondary characters both old and new are very engaging. Michael, a Knight of the Cross, constitutes an intriguing counterpoint to Harry's irreligious personality, and the manner in which Butcher depicts the power of Christian artifacts adds another layer of complexity to the world building. That said, Michael is a little too self-righteous and condescending for my tastes.

There are also some poignant moments between Harry and his reporter girlfriend, Susan Rodriguez, although her misguided Lois Lane routine is getting old and she has never really appealed to me as Harry's love interest.

The most interesting characters, however, are Lea, Harry's rather scary fairy Godmother, who serves as a cautionary tale about what happens when one makes ill advised bargains with the fae, and Thomas, the morally ambiguous vampire who plays a pivotal role in Harry's conflict with the various villains in the story.

All in all, the world building is strong, the story has potential and the unanswered questions are interesting enough to keep on with the series. ( )
1 vote Lauren2013 | May 8, 2016 |
I enjoyed Jim Butcher's Grave Peril (The Dresden Files, #3). Over the course of the first three books (in the FIFTEEN-book series), I've definitely developed a crush on Harry .. I missed Murphy's (frequent) presence in this one - the few mentions simply weren't enough! Susan . . my vote is still out as far as she's concerned. Perhaps, given my feelings for Harry, it's simply a matter of jealousy! Michael and Bob demonstrated an entertaining contrast in viewpoint that kept me chortling throughout .. religious fervor versus humorous ribaldry can be very entertaining!

The one downside - for me - had nothing to do with the storyline; it was much more basic than that .. the talented narrator, James Marsters, continues to be in serious need of a pronunciation dictionary! This is the third book in The Dresden Files series; you'd think the powers that be would have pointed out the repeated MISpronunciations contained in each of the books. Someone needs to alert Mr. Marsters to the fact that dais (day-us) is NOT pronounced die-us, and writhe is certainly not pronounced reethe . . there are many other prounciation oopsies . . after repeated instances they become (for me) a significant distraction!

All of that having been said, Harry's charm is definitely a drawing card . . I'm looking forward to reading the next in this entertaining series. ( )
  idajo | May 8, 2016 |
I really liked this book, and the introduction of Michael. This series seems to be getting better as we continue. I hope that trend continues as we move forward. I also was quite amused by Thomas and hope to see him again. ( )
  saohicwitch | Apr 21, 2016 |
The Dresden Files series is starting to feel very formulaic to me. However, I am assured by others that a grand narrative arc is starting present throughout the series that is well worth it. Even in the absence of the narrative i enjoy the characters and stories as a bit of brain-candy. ( )
  kale.dyer | Apr 15, 2016 |
This just keeps getting better and better! I love how characters keep becoming more familiar and important, while he adds new ones as well. Can't wait to start reading the next one, and I'm hoping for some new creatures and some more backstory.
  bartt95 | Apr 10, 2016 |

Butcher, Jimprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Chong, VincentIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marsters, JamesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

There are reasons I hate to drive fast.
I felt uncomfortable, approaching the church -- not for any weirdo quasi-mystical reason. Just because I'd never been comfortable with churches in general. The Church had killed a lot of wizards in its day, believing them in league with Satan. It felt strange to be just strolling up on business. Hi, God, it's me, Harry. Please don't turn me into a pillar of salt. (chapter 9)
Thaumaturgy is traditional magic, all about drawing symbolic links between items or people then investing energy to get the effect that you want. You can do a lot with thaumaturgy, provided you have enough time to plan things out, and more time to prepare a ritual, the symbolic objects, and the magical circle.
I've yet to meet a slobbering monster polite enough to wait for me to finish. (Harry, chapter 16)

In all his years of supernatural sleuthing, Harry Dresden has never faced anything like this: the spirit world's gone postal. These ghosts are tormented, violent, and deadly. Someone-or something-is purposely stirring them up to wreak unearthly havoc. But why? If Harry doesn't figure it out soon, he could wind up a ghost himself.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451458443, Mass Market Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:34 -0400)

F Kent ; XX-CDF ; 10CD/1AW ; SA ; CD24I.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,881,088 books! | Top bar: Always visible