Prefect (GollanczF.) by Alastair Reynolds
Member:MLCathi
Title:Prefect (GollanczF.)
Authors:Alastair Reynolds
Info:Gollancz (2008), Edition: paperback / softback, Paperback, 512 pages

The Prefect by Alastair Reynolds (2007)

Set in the time of The Glitter Band, but we all know what is looming... This book is a nice introduction to new characters & habitats in the Revelation Space universe, and hauntingly, one or two older characters too.
Plenty of multi-layered action, plots and imagery (the weevils strewing into space) and the main characters not too rigidly perfect to be believable ( )
  jkdavies | Jun 14, 2016 |
Another good tale from Reynolds. I'm pretty biased when it comes to his stuff, but I will note that this was the first story where I felt his dialogue was set a little to closely to contemporary time. Language evolves rather quickly. So when one is writing a tale that happens over centuries it's a little hard to swallow language that's exactly the same as we use today. The were cliched phrases and a few bad words that seemed jarring when they came along in the text. Still, nothing to make me dislike the book. Keep em coming. ( )
  RalphLagana | Jan 23, 2016 |
Alastair Reynolds is an author I keep coming back to like a regular customer, for the simple reason that he is among the top three best sci-fi authors working today (I have no idea who the other two are, I just estimate that if I were to do a top three ranking he would be in it).

The Prefect is set earlier in the Revelation Space timeline. This is not going to mean very much to anyone who has never read anything from Reynold’s epic Revelation Space series. That said this is a standalone book in the sense that the story is complete in itself, not part of an ongoing narrative from other books. However, to get the most out of it I would recommend that you at least read the original [b:Revelation Space|89187|Revelation Space (Revelation Space, #1)|Alastair Reynolds|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1405532042s/89187.jpg|219037] novel first to familiarize yourself with the setting. The Prefect starts off as a kind of murder mystery where the protagonist Prefect Tom Dreyfus is investigating the mass murder of the occupants of a space habitat. A Prefect is a policeman of sorts, part of a security task force that specialize in protecting the voting system of The Glitter Band (a group of 10,000 habitats). As the story unfolds it transpire that the murder is merely the beginning of a hostile takeover bid of The Glitter Band by an AI entity.

The worst thing about summarizing a Revelation Space book is that many concepts need to be explained to make any sense to the casual reader, a chore for the reviewer and the reader. It is probably more useful and practical to highlight the novel’s qualities in general terms. The Prefect then is a fast paced story of a race against time to save a huge group of space habitats from being taken over and the citizenry from being wiped out. It is an action packed but fairly complex space opera, fans of weird future tech will have a field day with things like semi-sentient whips, decapitation surgery, irremovable insect-like devices attached to people, robot weevils etc.

There are alien races in the Revelation Space universe but they are only mentioned in passing in this book. The variety of posthumans and AIs are weird enough. The characters are a little flat and generic by Reynolds’ standard, probably due to more emphasis being placed on the plot. There is an interesting exploration of the theme of what constitute a human being. Is an activated backup human consciousness a human being with rights and a soul? Or is it just software? The cases for and against are quite well presented and Reynolds leave it for you to decide.

Reynolds does not pretend to be a literary writer but I always like his clean prose style and believable dialogue. In his other books he sometimes wanders into more lyrical prose style territory but I did not notice any such passages in this book. He did however include an excellent explanation of a “ramscoop”, a sci-fi conceit I never fully understood so I would like to quote it here:

“A starship built around a single massive engine designed to suck in interstellar hydrogen and use it for reaction mass. Because it didn’t have to carry its own fuel around, it could go almost as fast as it liked, right up to the edge of light-speed.”

Generally Reynolds explains the science behind his sci-fi more successfully than most sci-fi authors. Always an advantage with this kind of hard(ish) sci-fi.

The Prefect then is another excellent piece of sci-fi from Alastair Reynolds who has yet to let me down. If space opera and sci-fi tech is your thing then this book can be highly recommended with the caveat that you have at least read [b:Revelation Space|89187|Revelation Space (Revelation Space, #1)|Alastair Reynolds|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1405532042s/89187.jpg|219037] first. For a completely standalone Reynolds book not connected to any other books, the awe-inspiring [b:House of Suns|1126719|House of Suns|Alastair Reynolds|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1328058140s/1126719.jpg|2020929] is the best option and remains my favourite work of his.

(4.5 stars) ( )
  apatt | Dec 26, 2015 |
Reynolds has become one of those dozen or so sf writers whose next novels I actively anticipate. This is an excellent sf mystery, set in the same "history" (though a couple hundred years earlier) as his Revolution Space series of novels. It's one of those books I enjoyed enough that I wish I could read it again for the first time. ( )
  ronhenry | Nov 17, 2015 |
My first foray into the daunting sprawling world of Alastair Reynolds. I thought I'd try a space-based detective story: more my style than hard sci-fi.
The story opened like a Baz Luhrmann extravaganza of weird and exotic but did settle down quite briskly once the milieu had been established. It did take a long time to get into the teeth of the story - it read about 30% of my kindle before I felt the story got moving.
For the most part the story moves well, has several layers and kept me reading, but some of the character behaviours a tad cliche, as if the effort had gone into the World-building.
I felt somewhat let down by the ending, which after a long build-up, the main events seemed to happen off-stage, and then end rather abruptly.
A solid 3.5 star book. ( )
  StaticBlaq | Apr 26, 2015 |
Tom Dreyfus is the Prefect of the title, an agent of Panoply, the police force of the Glitter Band, an agglomeration of diverse habitats orbiting the planet Yellowstone, a satellite of the sun Epsilon Eridani, the environment where the bulk of humanity now lives. Another detective novel, then, but with Space Operatic aspects.

The setting is a return to the universe of Reynolds’s previous Revelation Space novels but in this one the action takes place solely within the Glitter Band; apparently an ultra-democratic polity where votes on anything and everything take place all the time – including on whether Panoply may deploy weapons.

Someone has used a spaceship drive to destroy the Ruskin-Sartorious habitat thereby killing hundreds of people. The obvious culprit is punished but Dreyfus’s investigations lead him to believe this is merely cover for a much wider conspiracy. One of his assistants, Thalia Ng, is sent to begin software upgrades to the voting protocols on four habitats but when the last one is completed the constant contact (known as abstraction) the voters have with the centre is broken. A takeover of all four habitats ensues. The rest of the book is concerned with the efforts of Panoply to counter this insurgency and to prevent its spread to the whole Glitter Band. On the way this leads to the unmasking of two mysterious figures from the past, Aurora and the Clockmaker. The latter has put Panoply’s chief into mortal danger.

Once the set-up is over with and the plot gets into gear, the narrative flows nicely. There are plenty of twists and turns, with shifts in the balance of power, plus wheels within wheels, inside Panoply. Dreyfus is your standard good cop but is convincing as such, as is Thalia Ng. Some of their antagonists are a little less convincing, however.

A possible spoiler follows.

The main problem with the book is that the story merely stops. After those 502 (small font sized) pages the final conflict which the narrative sets up remains unresolved. Perhaps the book was too long already. Or is Reynolds going to give us a sequel? Whatever, while enjoying the ride, I was left somewhat unsatisfied.

Alastair Reynoldsprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Moore, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my mum and dad,
for forty years of love and encouragement.
Thalia Ng felt her weight increasing as the elevator sped down the spoke from the habitat’s docking hub.

Tom Dreyfus is a Prefect, a policeman of sorts, and one of the best. His force is Panoply, and his beat is the multi-faceted utopian society of the Glitter Band, that vast swirl of space habitats orbiting the planet Yellowstone. These days, his job is his life. A murderous attack against a Glitter Band habitat is nasty, but it looks to be an open-and-shut case - until Dreyfus starts looking under some stones that some very powerful people would really rather stayed unturned. What he uncovers is far more serious than mere gruesome murder: a covert takeover bid by a shadowy figure, Aurora (who may once have been human but certainly isn't now), who believes the people of the Glitter Band should no longer be in charge of their own destiny. Dreyfus discovers that to save something precious, you may have to destroy part of it.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:21 -0400)

Tom Dreyfus is a Prefect, a policeman of sorts. His force is Panoply, and his beat is the multifaceted utopian society of the Glitter Band. Panoply's task - to safeguard the Glitter Band and ensure its democratic apparatus runs flawlessly.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,361,300 books! | Top bar: Always visible